View Full Version : Making It -A survival guide for entering prison

Jus' Mom
11-10-2003, 10:21 PM
http://www.pfm.org/Content/ContentGroups/Prison_Fellowship/Publications/Inside_Journal/Making_It.htm
The staff of Inside Journal, Prison Fellowship's "Hometown Newspaper of America's Prisoners" has reached throughout the prisoner and ex-prisoner communities to compile this manual. Throughout you will find practical, helpful survival tips from those who are currently in prison or have previously served time

Introduction
A Shocking Experience
Be Prepared
General Hints
Keeping Physically Fit
Spiritual Fitness: The Most Important
Relationships with the Outside
Closing Thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a sultry, late-summer day in 1974. I was in an Alabama prison.

No longer a respected lawyer. No longer an adviser to the President of the United States.

Now I was C. Colson. Prisoner #23227. I was at the lowest point in my life.

A prisoner has a choice to make. Will this experience "make" or "break" the individual? Each one has this choice to make.

My advice? Don't let it break you. Let it make you into a better person. Whether you're facing a long sentence or a short one, you have some choices to make.

Prison can be terribly difficult. But it is possible to survive. And it is possible to begin a new, positive direction for your life. Now, while you're still in. And it can continue after you're out.

After release, I never wanted to see a prison again. But I couldn't forget the prisoners I'd left behind. And from my awful experience, under the direction and empowerment of a sovereign God, has come a movement of people that is helping all those touched by crime. Victims. Families. Those in the criminal justice system. And prisoners. Especially prisoners.

The people of Prison Fellowship care about you. We want to be there for you. Read this little manual carefully. Feel through it the surging voices of thousands saying, "You can make it." "You're not alone." "Success is possible."

May God bless you and care for you. And may He make you a better person through this experience.

Charles W. Colson
Chairman of Prison Fellowship Ministries

LostOne
11-12-2003, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the information. I just went to the site and it made me feel better. I will be going to Federal Camp (Womens) soon and I am scared to death.

LostOne

Jus' Mom
11-12-2003, 03:44 AM
LostOne, I bet you are scared....I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could do or say to make it easier for you...
was good to read that the site 'made you feel better' Although I don't know a thing about what it's like in prison (except where each of my 2 sons are of course) so I can't offer any advice. I can be a good listener though, when you need one! Take care . I wish you only the best.....Teri

ard
11-23-2003, 09:27 PM
can i offer you some advice... take up a hobby(or 2)...and stick to it ....yoga is great
dont have an opinion about ANYTHING....
dont talk about other people or groups
and have only one real good friend!!!!
and make sure that friend is CLEAN........
who you hang with could come back and bit you !!
good luck .... and remember ...THINK be for you do anything