View Full Version : Can a felon be liscensed as a tattoo artist...

ThatOneChick
04-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Does anyone know if a convicted felon can get a tattoo license???? I never realized this might be a problem.

mom2RGB
04-05-2008, 01:46 AM
I was surprised that he asked for this. Does anyone know if he can actually have a tatoo kit while in prison? I would be shocked if he could! Thanks.

A.C. Aldag
04-05-2008, 11:06 AM
About the license -- not every state has licensing for tattoo artists and studios. Here in Michigan, no licensing is required at all. Check with whoever does business licensing for your state, and ask them... it might be the secretary of state, or the bureau of commerce and industry. You can prolly find this information online, but you might have to call to ask.

Even if the studio does require a license, he might get the studio license in another person's name, check to see if he needs to be licensed as an artist.

About the kit in prison -- again, depends on the state and the facility. My advice would be call the R & R sargeant for your facility and ask if you can order a tat kit as a special purchase... before you spend the money! Also check to make sure he can get the inks, needles and supplies... a tat gun by itself ain't gonna be much help.

California does not allow any tattooing in prison at all, it's actually a rules violation, they can get in trouble.

ThatOneChick
04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks AC :)

queenwdg
04-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know if a convicted felon can get a tattoo license???? I never realized this might be a problem.

Yes they can, but now while incarcerated. They are not allowed to have the materials that go with a tattoo kit. The person that is going to do my tattoo is an ex-felon (he was locked up with my husband at one point)

lilithinwaiting
04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Non is allowed in Oklahoma or Illinois prisons, I don't know about other states.

ThatOneChick
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Ok I know they're not allowed in prisons...But I'm wondering about after release...

mrschris
04-06-2008, 08:56 AM
sure they can. i believe tattooing is a main source of income for ex inmates.

in nj licensing IS required, but is not too hard to get. there are 4 criteria to getting a license here...a hs diploma or GED, a fee, being of "sound mind", and having a cerficication from the AAM (american assoc. of micropigmentation), which is 40 hours in the field of tattooing.

in missouri you have to have a tattooing license. google "tattooing license requirements in the state of missouri" to see what you come up with.

ThatOneChick
04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah I've done that (google) and on the app for the license it asks if you've been convicted EVER.

But my friend told me there's no way anyone would hire him or he could get a license as a felon. Supposedly they're cracking down on who can do it in Missouri. But you're right it does seem like its a source of income for a lot of ex inmates? I can't figure it out but guess I just need to call on Monday. Thanks

laydlyke
04-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Mom2RGB, he's not supposed to have a tattoo kit in prison, but they can get anything in there that they can get on the street. :rolleyes:

Jordans, my neighbor is a tattoo artist and he did 13 years in OH. In NC, there is no licensing requirements, only heath regulations and things like that.

I would suggest calling a local tattoo artist and asking what kind of licensing is required of them in your state. :D Good luck!

mel2020
04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
sure they can. i believe tattooing is a main source of income for ex inmates.

Took the words right outta my mouth! Seriously, go to a local tatt parlor and ask the artists who has either been on probation, been in in the joint, or currently on parole/probation. If it's not the majority, it's a weird parlor! ;)

mel2020
04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I was surprised that he asked for this. Does anyone know if he can actually have a tatoo kit while in prison? I would be shocked if he could! Thanks.
Not in NC, no.

ThatOneChick
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
You guys are so smart. I emailed the dept. in charge of the licensing here, and she said it's on a case by case basis, she can't tell me yes he would have no problem but she said more than likely he wouldn't have any problems getting licensed as long as he's honest on the app...

I guess the person who told me they couldn't be licensed were just some more HATERS. So thanks all you.

eddiesgirl1
04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
thanks for all the helpful info on this thread. my husband is an artist and this is how he makes his income when he is in the free world.