View Full Version : Question about Juvenile Hall

Shari
03-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I am in total shock right now. My guys youngest son has been in Juvenile Hall for a few weeks now. I have been writing him but have not gotten anything back so I called there today to ask if we can send paper and stuff. Anyway I was told they supply that. What really shocked me was when I asked if I can send him some family pictures she told me that if pictures are sent they are shown the pictures once and then put away. They do not get to keep the pictures that are sent to them. I can not believe that they do not let the kids keep pictures of the family with them. Does anyone know if this is common pratice or just for the Lake County Juvenile Hall. You would think they would want the kids to have contact with family. Like I said I am shocked.

kima
03-25-2008, 01:31 AM
That is outrageous! So much for trying to keep families bonded, which should be a huge priority - to encourage that. It almost sounds like a "brain washing" kind of thing, keeping these kids from feelings of home or any kind of love that may be out there.

I can see if the kid was abused that they may not want them upset by photos that could bring back bad memories. But what about the kids that want pictures? They should at least have some say in it.

Did anyone ever give you a reason for the ban? Not BS, but a solid, sensible reason for this????

DeadDoll
03-25-2008, 01:58 AM
I have friends that work at a Juvenile Hall and youth camps. They are much more stict when it comes to minors. As far as the photos, it sounds a little excessive, then again different counties have different policies and procedures. It does not surprise me.

Shari
03-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Kima no they did not give me any reason whats so ever why he could not have the photos I was sending. Even though I knew he could not keep the photos I still sent them so at least he could see them once and know that there are people out here that are thinking about him and when he finally does leave that place (when they decide who will have guardianship of him) he will be able to take those photos with him and have them then.

Pinky99
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Wow that very strange...especially for such a small county such as Lake County. The county I live in the minors are allowed a max of 5 family photos. There can not be any nudity, alcohol or gang signs (etc...) in the pictures.

No money is allowed to be sent to the minor as all his/her necessities are paid for by the county (food, clothing, writing materials, postage for their letters, etc....).

Shari
07-03-2008, 12:06 PM
At Lake County they are allowed to write two letters a week if they do not have their own stamps. We are making sure he has stamps cause he wants to write more. They give them hygine stuff but he asked me to send him stuff so I sent out what he asked for. He was thrilled. I am really not sure how the phones work. He has called me twice but there are no recordings or anything like that like GTL has. All I know is on our last call one of the staff memebers told him it was time to get off the phone. Did not check the clock so not sure how long we got to talk. I do know the calls are very expensive, I think maybe more than GTL. As for the pictures he told me to send them any way cause he has a photo album that he puts his photos in there that they keep with his stuff that he can see when he wants.

Imani
07-04-2008, 04:23 AM
As for the pictures he told me to send them any way cause he has a photo album that he puts his photos in there that they keep with his stuff that he can see when he wants.True,at DCFs Group Homes etc the Social Workers keep some of the clients pictures in their office which they can see the album there.

Shari
07-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know what it means when the child is put on a program. I just got a letter from my guys son and he was suppose to call me last weekend but never did. In his letter he said that he can not use the phone cause he is on program for 6 days. I know that it means he got in trouble some how but what does program detail. Oh yea he aslo said cause he is on program they do not give him much time to write his letters and got yelled at cause he took to long writing me my letter.

Also does anyone know why they might hold mail for so long. I got a letter today 7/11, that was post marked 7/7, but that he wrote on 7/1. I have been so worried about him cause I had not gotten a letter or a call from him in two weeks. Now I see why.

Imani
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
When a client gets put on a program that could be for a number of reasons. If he/she just got to a new facility the program is to learn the rules. If a client has behavioral issues they work out a program with him/she for that. The reasons that I mentioned is just a couple of reasons there are tons of reasons why a client is put on a program. Most of the time they always on some kind of program. That's probably one of the reasons he can not use the phone just yet because he is new. They are a lot stricter with probation kids then they are with DCFS kids. Some time they do let the child use the phone in front of the Social Worker or PO with the speaker phone on.
One of the reasons could be for him not getting the mail out is,the staff takes their sweet time or they are reading the letter before it gets sent. Sense he is in a Group Home for Probation kid they will do just that.
As far as him having to write a letter in a hurry never heard of that.

Hope this helps. It will all work out in time