View Full Version : what is the release process??

Capribry
03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
My man is going to be released soon and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the process. His original release date is July 26 but they said that he has to do his last month in a half way house (which I still trying to find information about) they said that if he does good in the hwh that he could be released 2 weeks early. He told me that he put my name on some type of list so I can pick him up??

Any info will be helpful. I'm just the type that needs to know whats going on and don't like to be left in the dark.

SV2006
03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm glad you asked this question cause I need help too. What is the part about where the inmates are going to move to has to be inspected or at least verified? How soon before their release do they do this?

ctmom
03-20-2008, 06:24 AM
My son's experience:
prior to release he filled out release papers and requested what area he'd be released to and how he'd get there (either be transported at the bop's expense (bus ticket) or picked up)
The bop let him know if he could be picked up. (If so, your loved one will contact you and let you know what to do (in my son's case it was drive up to a specific point and wait - when we did, we saw a bunch of inmates waiting w/ bags packed and street clothes on, a co came up to the car, told us to stay in the car and who were we there for, then my son got in the car and we had 6 hours for a 5 hour drive)
Dropped off at hwh, contact through collect calls or quarters for pay phones to contact. Visits were Thur and/or Sun at specific times - less than camp)
Progressive passes out of hwh - for job search, medical, visits to family (only one address - the one which he is to be released to)
At some point (it'll depend on how long their hwh time is) and before he could get a pass home, the program director came to our home to ask me if I wanted him there, how many people and who lived in the home, # of bedrooms. No inspection in our case.
Everything is very slow - the hwh is part of the bop system - but even more disconnected - so things seem to take that much longer.

faddy555
03-20-2008, 06:27 AM
The release process varies greatly. My husband was kept at the camp long after his "10%" date. He didn't come close to getting 6 months of HWH--more like 2 months.

He got a job right away and about 2 weeks after being there, he got a weekend pass home. He did eventually get home confinement but without and ankle bracelet.

Each inmate's release process will be different, depending on which camp they're at, which HWH they go to, how soon they start working (and start paying the HWH); it's even going to depend on which counselor they get at HWH.

The Community Supervision/Federal Probation section of this board can offer lots of information. Good luck!

Capribry
03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
The release process varies greatly. My husband was kept at the camp long after his "10%" date. He didn't come close to getting 6 months of HWH--more like 2 months.

He got a job right away and about 2 weeks after being there, he got a weekend pass home. He did eventually get home confinement but without and ankle bracelet.

Each inmate's release process will be different, depending on which camp they're at, which HWH they go to, how soon they start working (and start paying the HWH); it's even going to depend on which counselor they get at HWH.

The Community Supervision/Federal Probation section of this board can offer lots of information. Good luck!

Thanks! My boyfriend only have to do a month in the half way house and when he is released he's not going to be on probation anymore. I'm in the process of moving (hopefully in june) and I don't know if i'm going to have a address by then, maybe he can just use his mother's address. He already have a job (he owns a business) I'll go to the other forum to check out the information and hopefully I will find something.

Shelsonme
03-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I am unsure about the release process but perhaps you can look in the "Now that your loved one is home" forum here at PTO also and ask the members what their experiences were like.

Kasper
08-31-2008, 01:24 PM
My family member won't be out for nearly 2 more years. I have promised that he can work in our family business; I have had health problems and am going to be moving to a different state and taking the business there. They are telling him now that he has to choose where he's going to be released or they will force him to return to the state where he was arrested (no friends or family there and no way to work, etc.)

Is this just some sort of effort to scare him? How long before he is released do they actually come to check on the family's home? I'm not sure when I will move...maybe nearly a year from now.

What kind of information about the family business has to be provided in order for him to use that as his job?