View Full Version : Classification Process?

Caren555
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi, My husband was sentenced today and got to Concord this afternoon. He has already called , not with his pin or but just a 'one phone call' type thing. Everyone keeps telling us it is for classification. Can anyone explain to us what the classification process entails? How do they rate them, and what sort of things does the inmate go through? Thanks in advance for any help!

pristock230
03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
from what I can remember it depends on your past criminal history, the current crime you are incarcerated for and the length of time you have to serve. Other things that they count are your age and where they have beds.

hope this helps!

Caren555
03-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info. No criminal history and is serving a mandatory 5 yr sentence for vehiculr homicide. The judge recommended that he serve it at Hampshire county corrections, People have said it takes 6-8 months to be classified, is that correct? I am curious as to why that takes so long , if they are just looking at criminal history and why he is there. Thanks again!!!

pristock230
03-19-2008, 07:10 AM
not 6-8 months to be classified, but depending on where he is going it might take him that long to get moved to his destination (basically for a bed to come available. He will possibly go to a level 4. Norfolk, Shirley Med, Gardner. There are a few more level 4's I think.

Take a look around, see what is close to your home, he can ask that he go to one place but that doesn't mean he will go there.

Caren555
03-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the info. Th judge recommended that he serve the sentence in Hampshire correctional - I would imagine that has a certain bearing on the people who decide where he goes?

pristock230
03-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't think Hampshire correctional is a State prison. I believe that facility is only for county bids, not 100% sure though.

Caren555
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
You're definently correct, he is 'supposed' to serve it in state, per the charge. But the judge allowed that correctional suggestion. Is it Concord that ultimately makes that decision,or Hampshire?

pristock230
03-19-2008, 06:27 PM
it's the classification board for the state that will make the desicion