View Full Version : what does "sentenced two years out in one mean?

needinfo
11-06-2003, 03:28 PM
My son was sentenced for 2 years for burgulary. The lawyer said he would be out in 10 months. Because he had spent 2 months in county jail. I don't understand how it went from 2 years to 10 months.
Also. This is classified as a class b. Does anyone know if he quailifies for work release? This is in Indiana.

MotM
11-10-2003, 10:33 PM
If you are not doing your time "day for day" you will get out sooner. Example...You break into a home, and are sentenced 10 years, well, to be eligable for parole, you almost always must do 1/3 of your time. (3 years) This depends on each person and what happens while you are in etc. Some must do 1/2 (as your son is) or 2/3 before they are up for parole. So, it just means that he will only "BE IN" for 1 year TOTAL TIME and then be on parole/probation for 1 year after that as his "paper time". Sometimes you are cut short for paper time too, but not too often. :) Hope it helps!

needinfo
11-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks so much for your reply. I also heard that if he took classes or a substance abuse program, that can help him get out sooner. Is this true? He will be transferred to the Diagonistic Center soon for evaluation I'm told.

indygal
11-11-2003, 10:52 PM
i don'r know if it is the same in all prisons but my boyfriend has been trying to get into these classes but they are so full because you can get time cuts. i really wish they would only allow those with a substance abuse in them. so the ones that do have a problem can get help. he is at branchville which does not offer alot of classes to get time cuts.

MotM
11-12-2003, 03:15 AM
That is true, BUT because of the small amount of time your son is doing, he will more than likely A. Not be able to get into a class (b/c of waiting lists etc) or if he does then B. by the time he's done with the class, his year will be up (classes TEND to run about 6months and you TEND to wait at least 3 to get into one) There ARE exceptions to every rule. :)

dkr55
11-12-2003, 03:34 AM
IN THE STATE OF INDIANA IF YOU RECEIVE A 20 YEAR SENTENCE LIKE MIKE DID YOU WILL DO 10 YEARS.YOU AUTOMATICALLY SREVICE HALF THE TIME. FOR SUBSTANCE ABUSE IT IS A WEDNESDAY CLASS AND IT TAKES 12 WEDNESDAY 'S TO EARN A 30 DAY CUT. A G.E.D. WILL EARN YOU A 6 MONTH CUT

clevelar
11-12-2003, 09:48 AM
In Indiana on inmate gets 2 for 1 if they have good time. Meaning for every day you serve with out getting in trouble and not getting write ups you get credit for two. The time cuts for classes etc is true, but it is not limited to substance abuse courses and GED, he can also pursue higher education such as vocational programs and degree programs. The max time that one can cut off a sentence in the state of Indiana is 4 years. However, this may not be of much help to your son because he is doing such a short amount of time. Even though it won't get him out sooner, it will benefit him once he is on the outside again. Statistics show that inmates that participate in educational programs that are offered have a better chance of not returning to prison. So encourage your boy to take advantage of whats offered.

MotM
11-12-2003, 01:29 PM
The 2 for 1 rule can change a lot though. As in...you get two for one for the first 3 months you are in...then get in a fight or something. Well, they make you go day for day, and they can (not always do) take your good time away. Then you can bump up to 3 for 2 (1.5 days for every 1) and then back up to 2 for 1 if you are good.
They can take it all as a time for time thing...as in you were good for 3 months, got your 2 for 1 and then get in trouble so you go to 1 for 1 for 3 months then get back up to 2 for 1 for three...so in the end you have done 6 months + 3 months + 6 months according to the system. It's quite confusing..I've got 6 people in IN prisons (3 at one, 2 at one and another at a different prison) I write to that each have had different things happen. :(

No matter what, ANY class that can be taken will more than likely benifit someone once they are out. Vocational classes are great and are a good time cut too. :)

shaunsgurl_2
12-23-2003, 01:32 PM
I have my boyfriend in Gurney Unit and he was put there in Nov. and he will see parol in Jan. and they will tell him in march if he got it. he beat someone up with brass nuckls and he will get his ged test in Jan. too. Do you think he will get out soon? They gave him four years and when he was in county he did 3 for 1 what do you think he will get in there?

LBoogie0810
01-22-2004, 11:42 PM
also, there are everal trade classes available at facilities- i.e. graphic arts, welding.. also, an assoc. degree is a one year time cut and a B.S. is two years... there are creative ways to get the time cuts, but it just takes a little work. My boyfriens was sentanced to 32 years and will only serve 10 when he comes home-- could be less with the parole board

Jodi4bobby
06-23-2004, 09:32 PM
You all seem to know so much about the Indiana prison system. My boyfriend has been sentenced to 10(do 5) years. He is at RDC right now and awaiting transfer to an actual prison. We have tried everywhere to find information on education time cuts and other classes that you can take for time cuts but received no help. The vocational colleges and universities, the classes that he may be able to take through them, do they apply towards time cuts also since they are not actually "offered" through the prison? Would this avoid the waiting list problem? Also, isn't their a parenting class that you can take for an additional time cut, if so how much time is cut from it. I have received so much information already, thank you so much, this is a great site. I already miss him soooo much and really want to do everything possible to get him home as soon as possible. Thank You

Thompson's Girl
06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
You all seem to know so much about the Indiana prison system. My boyfriend has been sentenced to 10(do 5) years. He is at RDC right now and awaiting transfer to an actual prison. We have tried everywhere to find information on education time cuts and other classes that you can take for time cuts but received no help. The vocational colleges and universities, the classes that he may be able to take through them, do they apply towards time cuts also since they are not actually "offered" through the prison? Would this avoid the waiting list problem? Also, isn't their a parenting class that you can take for an additional time cut, if so how much time is cut from it. I have received so much information already, thank you so much, this is a great site. I already miss him soooo much and really want to do everything possible to get him home as soon as possible. Thank You
Your boyfriend will find out while he is at RDC where he is going...educational opportunities vary for each prison in Indiana. My man just got home from Westville and he was able to take classes thru Purdue Exstension...they actually have a prison educational program there..it is meant mostly for people who have a long sentence because you can only take one class at a time and it is only two days a week. So I think he said it would take 8-10 years to get a degree....it was also very expensive! Most prisons in Indiana will push to get guys into GED and substance abuse classes to get their time cuts and get them out to open up beds due to the overcrowding. There are parenting classes but I don't think that they apply to the time cuts, it might vary per prison. If you want your man to get home soon tell him to keep his nose clean and don't get into trouble. The one thing I learned thru my time on here is CO's are quick to try to add on another 30 days for no more reason than the fact that they don't like the inmate!!!! Tell him to be good and get into an honor dorm (if available) then he can work and take classes and it'll make his time go faster!

inmom
06-27-2004, 10:29 PM
ok, here is a question i have .. is every person eligible for parole? .. my kids' dad got 20yrs, 10 suspended, went back to court for sentence reduction and took 4 more years off so that would have been do 4 .. he did his 4 but got into trouble while on probation and went back for probation violation .. i've heard he has to do his 10 yrs-the full time-now but is he eligible for parole at all??? thanks

Thompson's Girl
06-28-2004, 01:14 PM
As far as I know he will not be eligible for early release again, when he is released from his 10 years he will still have how ever many years of probation/parole to complete. If he fouls up again he has to finish his entire sentence.