View Full Version : is lieing on a job application a crime?

1strike
03-07-2008, 08:23 PM
ive been honset about my felonys and no one will hire me.can i lie?i have 1 strike all ready will lieing get me busted.

Paco's Girl
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
You can get in trouble from first your employer (can fire you), parole and/or probation can violate you if they want. It stinks. There are a few felony/parole/probation friendly places out there! It is hard. Been there and done that. Good luck!

Gryphon
03-11-2008, 05:36 PM
The only way it can be a crime is where it's a situation where the statement is signed under Declaration of Penalty by Perjury. That usually won't come up unless it is a justice system job or a job that requires security clearance.
Otherwise, it is good old fashioned fibbing, and it can get you fired if it is discovered (since you were not as you represented when you were hired). Some employers use background check companies, increasing the chance you'd get caught.

Your probation terms may or may not include snitching yourself off to employers. I bet they don't have that sort of language, and therefore lying wouldn't be a VOP so long as it wasn't under penalty of perjury. Read your orders and speak to your lawyer if you have questions.

Letting employers know about convictions is almost always a condition of release on alternative sentencing.

ive been honset about my felonys and no one will hire me.can i lie?i have 1 strike all ready will lieing get me busted.

TheNewSatan
03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I heard about some people getting their 3rd strikes for lying on their DMV applications. They can't give you another strike for felony perjury, but with one strike, the penalty for this will be doubled.

At this point you should probably try for any job you can get. It might not be the best, but I think building references and credibility at this point should be your main concern. As time goes on, your work record will outweigh your felony conviction and you will be able to find something better.

Ever think of going back to school? You could further your education and probably find an on-campus job where they wouldn't even ask about your criminal record. Then you are also increasing your education level (and earning potential) while remaining employed and putting time behind your felony conviction.

Try the local community college, especially if you are interested in a vocation instead of a formal college education. There is great money in the trades these days! And criminal record usually isn't that big of a deal for carpentry, construction, electrical, plumbing, etc., unlike the hassle you will get from a major corporation about your past. Eventually you may even work for yourself!:D

Good luck!:thumbsup: