View Full Version : Assisted Living Residence for an (ex)violent offender

aldanow
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I met a man today who had murdered his wife. I don't know the details of his crime or sentence, only that he is now ailing, and is trying to get into an Assisted Living facility. I am familiar with the 2 facilities he approached about entering. He reported having been told by the first that there was a HUD regulation prohibiting him from living there. At the second one, not a HUD facility, he was told, after they initially accepted his down payment, that they use the same background check for residents as they do for staff, so they could not accept him after all. I believe that requirement for staff is in the state law.

Has anyone ever dealt with this, or have any suggestions about how to deal with it?

LeesyAdams
03-06-2008, 08:33 PM
My mom is a social worker for hospice and they even offer services here in WA state to inmates. A social worker at a hospice would know what options this man might have even if he isn't eligible for hospice yet...or at least know which direction to point him in. Also states/counties usually have an elderly care taskforce or department that might be able to point him in a direction. I know for a fact that there are options out there--unfortunately not the nicest possibly--but he's not without options.

aldanow
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Thank you, GiaElise, good ideas! I'll try calling in the morning.

Since one of the places did not claim any mandated reason for their policy, I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about arguments to persuade them not to follow it? The recidivism rate for wife murderers must surely be really, really low.

laydlyke
03-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Just FYI, all HUD facilities have criminal record stipulations. NO FELONIES! Even live-in aides are screened when entering a HUD independent housing facility.

The private-pay facilities may have individual company policies, but it is possible to persuade them, I would think. I would call the director of senior services or the area agency on aging (if you have those there) and ask them. Good luck and let us know what you find out, please.

Jillian
03-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Thank you, GiaElise, good ideas! I'll try calling in the morning.

Since one of the places did not claim any mandated reason for their policy, I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about arguments to persuade them not to follow it? The recidivism rate for wife murderers must surely be really, really low.
Many of them have that policy set in stone and don't have to give any reason except that its policy. As you are in washington dc, and the poster gia is in washington state, things maybe different. All in all i wish you lots of luck