View Full Version : Can a person leave the US and move to another country with a felony?

just1
03-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Can someone please tell me if a US citizen with a felony record has any chance of moving to another country? Do any accept felonies?

Adrienne
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, most countries will require a visa if the stay is a lengthy one (like living abroad). Many visa application ask about criminal history and many do not just depends on the country. If the felon can find one of the countries that doesn't ask, thus not caring, I am sure they could move abroad, assuming they are off paper in the US and not on probation or anything.

MDawg
03-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Put it this way: wanted criminals, war criminals like Nazis and fleeing convicted felons used to run to countries like France, Spain, and Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Cuba, Mexico, etc., all the time, so obviously some countries will or at least used to take about anyone. Especially if that anyone has good sums of cash.

hhsu
03-19-2008, 12:45 AM
I have a dual nationality with both US and Taiwan. I want to visit my parents in Taiwan after serving times and completed supervised release. Now, I am staring the visa application form that says I have to explain my criminal record. Help, how?

MDawg
03-19-2008, 10:50 AM
If you have dual citizenship you need no visa for Taiwan, correct?

so_hurt
04-11-2008, 01:32 AM
I don't know about MOVING to another country, I only know that my friend took her boyfriend to France while he was even still on probation. He almost peed his pants at the airport, he was so scared he would get caught. But nothing came up, neither in the US nor in France.

And I know that starchild flew her man to the UK after his release, and he went over there just fine. Then I didn't read anything from them anymore.

But yeah, you can get into another country - I just don't know about moving to another country. If anyone knows how Germany thinks about American Felons, I would appreciate any information. We're planning on moving to Germany after he gets out

Starchild
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't know about MOVING to another country, I only know that my friend took her boyfriend to France while he was even still on probation. He almost peed his pants at the airport, he was so scared he would get caught. But nothing came up, neither in the US nor in France.

And I know that starchild flew her man to the UK after his release, and he went over there just fine. Then I didn't read anything from them anymore.

But yeah, you can get into another country - I just don't know about moving to another country. If anyone knows how Germany thinks about American Felons, I would appreciate any information. We're planning on moving to Germany after he gets out

Hi, this is Starchild, yes my fiance did fly to UK and was with me for 6 months after his release but he had to return to USA when the tourist visa ran out sadly. He got in no problem but then could not return again as UK will deny an ex con to come here to live.

MandyMeMe
04-19-2008, 09:01 AM
I really think Canada and Australia are the 2 hardest for ex-felons to get into. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Most of the central american countries could care less. As long as you have a passport fromt he country you are from yu are good to go. Your record does not follow you unless you are asked when trying to obtain residency. Here's a interesting situation. Say your loved one was in the US illegally and has a criminal record in the US...but is not a US resident...so your loved one gets deported back to his country and gets a passport from his birth country. then wants to travel. Well his birth country has no criminal record. What do you do when filling out a visa or residency application when asked about your criminal record. Since more than likely they wont be checking other countries for your criminal record. Something to think about.

so_hurt
04-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi, this is Starchild, yes my fiance did fly to UK and was with me for 6 months after his release but he had to return to USA when the tourist visa ran out sadly. He got in no problem but then could not return again as UK will deny an ex con to come here to live.

So he couldn't even return as a tourist again? Why not? Why would they know the second time that he is a felon?
I'm so sorry to hear that - and it scares me, too.
Where does he live now, and how did he find a place to stay and work in the US after he left the UK? does he have family or did he just fly into nothing after he left the UK?

Starchild
04-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Milena. No he cannot return to UK because he has gone down the fiance visa route and therefore his passport is stamped with a visa denial stamp from the New York UK embassy there. My lawyer said that he will be denied entry due to the stamp on his passport if he tries to re-enter because they will know his visa was denied and that he is likely therefore to be trying to re-enter to then stay illegally. He has gone through nearly a year of hell. As an ex felon he cannot rent, even working for places like wal mart are not allowed with a record. As an ex felon he has no credit rating so cannot get a credit card, do so much. He has no family, only me so is alone there. I thought it was hard when he was in prison but that was a walk in the park compared to this........ yes he basically flew into nothing...your analagy is correct.

so_hurt
04-19-2008, 10:43 PM
OH MY GOSH!
That sounds so scary!
What do you mean that ex-felons have no credit rating and can't have credit cards - I don't exactly understand that. I did a credit check on my boyfriend, and he just had no credit at all - but he could theoretically have a credit card once he finds a job and has an income, right??
I already added him to my credit cards as "authorized user" and I was trying to open a bank account for him - but he has to physically appear in the bank to do that; they wouldn't accept the power of attorney that I had.

What if he "lost" his passport and applied for a new one? Then there wouldn't be a stamp in it - would he then maybe be able to get in?
I can't believe they are making it so hard on ex-felons, I mean aren't these guys punished enough by their sentences??

How did he find a place to stay and a job after he left the UK? It must have been so scary to fly back to a country in which was no apartment nor a job waiting for him. I got my boyfriend an apartment, but what if I wasn't here??? I'm here on a student visa, almost finished with everything, and I'm not intending to stay in the US forever... I was hoping I could take him with me to Germany, but he doesn't speak the language and the chances for getting a job over there are as bad as here or worse...
Oh god.

Well, good luck to you two! Do you guys have a "plan B" if him coming over to the UK really won't work out? Would you move to the states?
Did he find a job? did he find a place to stay? how does he survive?

Starchild
04-20-2008, 03:02 AM
OH MY GOSH!
That sounds so scary!
What do you mean that ex-felons have no credit rating and can't have credit cards - I don't exactly understand that. I did a credit check on my boyfriend, and he just had no credit at all - but he could theoretically have a credit card once he finds a job and has an income, right??
I already added him to my credit cards as "authorized user" and I was trying to open a bank account for him - but he has to physically appear in the bank to do that; they wouldn't accept the power of attorney that I had.

What if he "lost" his passport and applied for a new one? Then there wouldn't be a stamp in it - would he then maybe be able to get in?
I can't believe they are making it so hard on ex-felons, I mean aren't these guys punished enough by their sentences??

How did he find a place to stay and a job after he left the UK? It must have been so scary to fly back to a country in which was no apartment nor a job waiting for him. I got my boyfriend an apartment, but what if I wasn't here??? I'm here on a student visa, almost finished with everything, and I'm not intending to stay in the US forever... I was hoping I could take him with me to Germany, but he doesn't speak the language and the chances for getting a job over there are as bad as here or worse...
Oh god.

Well, good luck to you two! Do you guys have a "plan B" if him coming over to the UK really won't work out? Would you move to the states?
Did he find a job? did he find a place to stay? how does he survive?

Every situation is different of course and I can only give my experience of one person. Many who have been in prison have as you say, no credit rating; not bad credit but no credit. Our experience is that due to this as well as having a record it is almost impossible to rent an appartment. There are credit cards whereby you pay an amount as 'security' for those with bad credit so it is possible to get one and apparently there are ways to pay to get a credit rating started. Of course the longer they work and are out, the 'relatively' easier it can get; I think the biggest hurdles are the initial ones of finding a job as most do background checks, finding a place to live if you don't have family and so on.

If the passport is 'lost' then it will be encoded in the machine readable information which is scanned at airports and so on. A visa denial is with you always and anywhere where your passport is scanned will see that. So any new passport would not have the stamp no, but it would have the information encoded in it.

I don't know what the situation is in Germany but it could well be much easier for you there; England is particularly tough but Europe is less so from what I've heard. Find out from your immigration authorites in Germany what the case is but it may well be much easier than here in UK so don't worry yet!!!

No we have no plan b. I can't move to America as I have a young son so in the coming week I should find out the answer and if it is a no then there is nothing more we can do.

Take care!

dutchgeinponem
04-20-2008, 04:53 AM
@starchild couldn't he aply for a visa to spain or ireland and then after living there for some months come to england using the european law saying once your accepted in one eec member all the rest have to allow you in as well. I know its a hassle but it might be the solution to your problems.

good luck

Starchild
04-20-2008, 06:06 AM
@starchild couldn't he aply for a visa to spain or ireland and then after living there for some months come to england using the european law saying once your accepted in one eec member all the rest have to allow you in as well. I know its a hassle but it might be the solution to your problems.

good luck

Hi, no I looked into this with my lawyer and he said that I would have to go and live in say, Ireland, set up home and all that. After a certain amount of time I could invite him to live there in Ireland or wherever with me; but we are talking years and I would have to move to Ireland or such like, which I can't as my son's father would never allow it.

dutchgeinponem
04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
just a thought as i did something simular for tax reasons some years ago maybe rent a room somewhere in say ireland and change your official domicilie to there whilst officialy for work reasons also maintaining your place in england to stay during the week since we are free to live anywhere in the eec and work somewhere else.Just fly "home" to ireland every other weekend or so. It worked for me although i own the place in spain but i don't see where thats different from renting .
Or maybe get information with a lawyer willing to think outside the box and use the loopholes provided like i said it worked for me.

Starchild
04-20-2008, 01:21 PM
just a thought as i did something simular for tax reasons some years ago maybe rent a room somewhere in say ireland and change your official domicilie to there whilst officialy for work reasons also maintaining your place in england to stay during the week since we are free to live anywhere in the eec and work somewhere else.Just fly "home" to ireland every other weekend or so. It worked for me although i own the place in spain but i don't see where thats different from renting .
Or maybe get information with a lawyer willing to think outside the box and use the loopholes provided like i said it worked for me.
Could be something to bear in mind one day maybe, if we can make it that far! Thanks for the thought! By the way what is Holland like? Pretty strict too? I am half dutch but no longer have a dutch passport.

dutchgeinponem
04-20-2008, 01:35 PM
as you may well know we don't take things that seriously over here although if a ex-felon would aply for a visa whilst still in the states he would be denied following official rules. Once over here and having someone to act as a safety-bond (i'm not sure how to say it in english but it means someone making over 50000 euros a year taxable vouching to be responsible) its a different story and as usa passport holders dont have to aply in the states its all legal. Our countrie pretty much runs around "rules exist for making exeptions". Why would anyone ever give up his/here dutch citizenship though?

Starchild
04-20-2008, 01:37 PM
ok thanks. I never had dutch citizenship; when I was a child i had dual citizenship and then at a certain age I had to choose and as I have always lived here, it was decided that I would retain English passport! I love Holland tho!!

dutchgeinponem
04-20-2008, 01:52 PM
oh i see good luck getting things to go your way and just don't give up as there is always a way working around problems even though i know from having many british friends all over europe england in some ways resembles the states in strictnes and brits usually are very docile in following authority.

so_hurt
04-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi, no I looked into this with my lawyer and he said that I would have to go and live in say, Ireland, set up home and all that. After a certain amount of time I could invite him to live there in Ireland or wherever with me; but we are talking years and I would have to move to Ireland or such like, which I can't as my son's father would never allow it.

How can your son's father decide where you are living!?

kangawoo
04-25-2008, 12:28 AM
australia is really strict with this stuff..
i think snoop dog..the rapper guy was denied & he had a packed concert to get to ...
eminem had trouble... alot of u.s stars have trouble getting in.. so i can only imagine what the normal guy with a ex criminal record would have to go through to get here...
dosent look good..

LORNA
04-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Starchild-

Going thru this thread, I had to stop and give you ((HUGS)). That is a difficult decision you are faced with. Hope things work out for you!

Starchild
04-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Starchild-

Going thru this thread, I had to stop and give you ((HUGS)). That is a difficult decision you are faced with. Hope things work out for you!

Thank you. Yes this is incredibly difficult with no easy or short term solution, I just try to take it one day at a time.

Janey
04-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Ireland is pretty flexible for letting in ex-cons/felons etc. They allowed Snoop and other 'famous felons' in here for gigs when they were denied entry by UK...so it may be worth checking out that avenue Starchild..although it may be a lot of hassle uprooting yourself/child etc.
Incidently to echo what the other poster said..your child's father cannot stop you moving wherever you want..unless he has a court order.
Obviously your child's happiness/security comes first and it is a big issue to consider.
Good luck to you
J

Starchild
06-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Just to let you all know; Jeff arrived back in UK today, to stay for good!!! We won our appeal and he is legally allowed to marry me here and stay here. Please don't give up hope anyone; it has been the hardest 18 mth fight of our lives and more stressful and expensive than I can ever say but we did it!!!!