View Full Version : Insurance for Felons

K-9 LOVER
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I hope I am posting this in the right place. I need to find out what experiences others have had in obtaining automobile insurance and homeowner's insurance after they get out. I have a friend with about 2 years left on his sentence and he wants to be prepared once he gets out. I am finding out from different insurance companies that they won't insure anyone with a felony whether it's car or home.

Anyone had any luck?

ALWAYS HERE 4 M
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I've never heard of felons not being able to get insurance. This is my husbands second term and when he was out we didn't have any issues with him getting any kind of insurance. :confused: Interesting. Sorry I can't be of more help...hopefully someone will have an answer for you. Good luck!

justvicki
03-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I have never had any problems getting health, home or car insurance in the five years since I have been released. Its not ever even been a question on any of the applications that I have completed for coverage.

briandi
04-03-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm actually an insurance agent, and there is nothing that states you cannot have insurance if you are an ex-felon. Credit is a factor and driving record. If you have good credit and a good DMV better rate, but no one would be denied auto insurance it's mandatory in most states anyway. Life insurance may be a problem since there are questions about drugs you've taken and if you have been convicted of a felony, it's a high risk to insurance companies to give life insurance to someone who may end up in prison again. There are companies out there that sell life insurance to ex-felons but it would be pricey. PM me if you want more info about insurance questions.

missmyson2
11-09-2008, 11:00 AM
My autoinsurance agent said they could not insure my son because he was has a felony, . . .would have to go to someplace like "Progressive", . . .I was shocked also.

Then i know of someone here in Arkansas the said thier loved one walked into a non-high risk insuranceagent and had no problem.

Not sure what we'll do. "Insurance, the Great American Rip-Off" :angry:

seansbabyluv
11-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Liberty Mutual didn't have a problem...don't tell them and they won't know.

LAT
11-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Farm Bureau specifically denies felons

lnd110608
11-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Im a licensed P&C agent in Ohio, and I work with about 12 companies....there IS a question about felonies on auto apps, but almost no one actually uses a paper app anymore. Most agents in OH wont even ask that question.

JaycieDnTejas
12-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Insurance companies ask for your driver's license number and they more than likely run it through the system to see if there is an outstanding warrant. They check your driving record as part of their risk assessment -- driving record and credit is what sets rates. I believe that is correct.

seansbabyluv
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
THERE IS NO WAY FOR SOMEONE NOT IN LAW ENFORCEMENT to check for outstanding warrants anywhere in this country...if they are doing it, it's illegal!

NCIC (National Crime Information Computer) and any state's computer system is not available to anyone who is not in law enforcement. Colorado you can run an arrest check on someone online and pay for it, but it only applied to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, not federal.

All insurance companies can do is check driving history and credit. Even background checks that are run are for arrests/convictions...outstanding warrants will not be on there.

With that being said, my husband has had no issues getting full coverage insurance. They never even asked. He's had insurance through Farmer's and Liberty Mutual and the cost was competitive. He was without a license for 5 years do to non-payment of child support not traffic violations. Insurance companies do charge more if you did not have previous insurance otherwise there is no issue.

lnd110608
01-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Im an insurance agent here in Ohio and yes, insurance is based MOSTLY on credit/MVR however, the agent very rarely runs the MVR, the carrier (company providing the insurance) runs it before it is quoted and license status will come back as well as the violation data but its not going to say THIS PERSON IS A FELON AND IS INELIGIBLE or whatever it will just say valid/invalid and the actual violation....now if its drug trafficking, that may pose a problem, but in my few years as an agent, in one of the top firms in my area, I have yet to see one so I dunno. If you have any specific questions PM and i will try and answer them as best as I can

SouthernGyrl
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. I would have never thought they would be denied things they need as not to break the law. Wow....amazing!

LegalizeDrugs
03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Wow, this horrible engine just ate my post. Thanks, now have to re-type. I hate this.

PEMCO in WA state asked if anyone in my household had been convicted of a felony. There was no time span associated with the question. The question was asked via telephone when adding someone to my home owners policy. They said it was for "underwriting sake".

Would like to know if anyone has a good ins co in WA State that does not ever ask any questions about criminal history. I will switch to such a company.

Could an insurance company could deny a claim if the claimant was found to have lied over the telephone in relation to such a question?

Note to ins companies: US has 1/4 of all the worlds prisoners. Ex-cons are not a small group. Don't discriminate against us or we'll boycott you.

I would post reference links on this, but this stupid engine won't let me. Lame. Note to Admin: there are much better ways to limit spam. Based on your captcha engine I doubt you have much of a spam problem anyways. Don't be so restrictive, please.

PTO-92958
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Please, by all means, feel free to voice your opinion here. But do not publicly take on Admin about issues you may have about the function of our site.
If you have a complaint, please take it to the Helpdesk (http://support.prisontalk.com/index.php).
Publicly calling out Site Administrators and Moderators is against policy. We are, however, more than happy to address your concerns on a private level via PM or the Helpdesk.
Please refer to all of PTO's policies here in this thread titled "PTO Policies, Rules & Information - All Members MUST Read & Follow these! (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23755)"
Pay particular mind to the parts about
"Freedom of Speech" at PTO (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/faq.php?faq=forum_rules#faq_policies_freedomofspee ch)
Posting Links, URL's & Email Addresses (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/faq.php?faq=forum_rules#faq_policies_links)
Attacking PTO Staff (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/faq.php?faq=forum_rules#faq_policy_staff_attacks)
PTO Bashing & Flaming (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/faq.php?faq=forum_rules#faq_policies_ptobashing)
All members must have 25 supportive posts, and have been a member for 2 weeks, before posting any links to outside areas or posting and accessing pictures. This policy is in effect to protect all our members from unnecessary and unwanted spam and solicitation, not to make anyone's life more difficult.
If you have valuable information worth sharing with other members here, I am sure you can find several places to post supportively until you meet the requirements...and then you can share your information with the group. We would all be interested in learning of insurance information regarding felons.
Thank you for your interest in PTO and in the sharing of knowledge. Knowledge is power. Sharing is caring.

LegalizeDrugs
03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Let me ask... Is there a real problem with spam on this site?

Was there a time before this 25 post minimum when there was a real problem with spam on this site?

Just curious...

seansbabyluv
03-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks GG...not that I want to cause problems but we have all had to comply with the rules in order to stay on PTO. It is what it is. It's not to make anyone's life more difficult it's to protect us all. We support each other and look out for each other, that's what PTO is all about.

As for insurance, Liberty Mutual is a national company and has agents in Washington state and as I stated in my previous post neither Liberty Mutual nor Farmers cared about my husband's past convictions, only about his driving record.

PTO-92958
03-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Let me ask... Is there a real problem with spam on this site?

Was there a time before this 25 post minimum when there was a real problem with spam on this site?

Just curious...

Spam is universal.
We do our best to protect our members from such annoyances.

LegalizeDrugs
04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
"As for insurance, Liberty Mutual is a national company and has agents in Washington state and as I stated in my previous post neither Liberty Mutual nor Farmers cared about my husband's past convictions, only about his driving record. "

Thanks! This is very useful. But this was for auto insurance, right? Anyone know about property insurance?

thanks

seansbabyluv
04-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Liberty handles both and you get a discount if you do auto and property. They will be handling the property insurance on my home and they never asked anything about my husband. They did the quote a couple of weeks ago.

amalgam49
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Im an insurance agent here in Ohio and yes, insurance is based MOSTLY on credit/MVR however, the agent very rarely runs the MVR, the carrier (company providing the insurance) runs it before it is quoted and license status will come back as well as the violation data but its not going to say THIS PERSON IS A FELON AND IS INELIGIBLE or whatever it will just say valid/invalid and the actual violation....now if its drug trafficking, that may pose a problem, but in my few years as an agent, in one of the top firms in my area, I have yet to see one so I dunno. If you have any specific questions PM and i will try and answer them as best as I can

I have a close friend who lives in the Cleveland area who has been convicted of a small, rediculus white colar felony in Massachuttes recently. No jail time and he may be able to dispute it in the future, the company is under investigation and he ended up in their mess. His insurance agent recommended going with another company to save money and now he and his wife have lost ALL of their insurance. Car, home, everything in the blink of an eye because it asked the crime question.. These are good christian, hardworking people and I am just trying to help them find info. If you have any helpful information PLEASE let me know!
Thank You!

msearp99
06-02-2009, 08:00 PM
So, the companies to check and suggested here are LIberty Mutual, Farmers and Progressive... any others ???thanks - THIS is a good question to ask

msearp99
06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
So, the companies to check and suggested here are LIberty Mutual, Farmers and Progressive... any others ???thanks - THIS is a good question to ask

Rob's shortie
07-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Does anybody know where I can get my husband some life insurance while he is incarcerated?

seansbabyluv
07-08-2009, 10:59 PM
My husband has coverage through my job. 100,000.00. They don't ask you anything and generally offer it during open enrollment.

j4korn
11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
getting car insurance would be a problem. I got out close to a year ago now and it has been an uphill battle let me tell you, but at times it seems as though the system is fighting me the whole way. A couple of days ago my wife went in to speak with her insurance agent and is told that I am not and in fact will not get coverage because I am a felon. They will give me coverage five years after my conviction. I only served 9 months on an 18 months sentence so I basically have 4 years to go. I need to drive .. I don't even have a job and my p.o. is on my case about getting one now my wife is worried she will lose her coverage if i drive her car. I don't know what to do but if anyone can offer some information about car insurance in Nevada I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you in advance!
J

snck80
04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
I was told by my carrier USAA that I was no longer allowed to have their automobile insurance because they are a "family oriented carrier" and his conviction is a felony. He doesn't even have a driver's license...never has. He was incarcerated when he was 16, stabbed a man in prison and was given a 99 year sentence [the man did not die]. He is up for parole [3rd parole hearing since 2004] in August 2010. I had to go with Progressive insurance, because my carrier refused to insure me even though my husband is still incarcerated. I am an honest person, answered their questions and was given the "boot." I worked for that company as well in the late 90's, it's hard to find rates cheaper than theirs. After denying me insurance, they stated, "but, you may still use all of our other products, like banking, etc." Yeah right....why would I use any product of theirs now????

DaveMoff
04-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Very strange.....I have had insurance through USAA since my teens and can't recall ever being asked if I had a criminal conviction or anything similar (then again, things may have changed since I first had an auto policy with them in 1979). Only thing they've ever wondered about were accidents and moving violations. Presumably they can do a background check on anyone, but if they do that, why would they need to ask about traffic violations, which show up in most databases along with just about everything else.

I had insurance with USAA while I was on probation, and also started a new policy with Progressive (for a motorcycle) during that time. No problems.

It seems very odd that they would deny auto insurance to someone who merely has a felon in the family.

Mind, I've been far happier with Progressive's service by comparison, so it may all be for the best.

jekbond
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm actually wondering the same question too. My husband was just recently convicted of a felony charge and someone told me that my homeowners insurance would probably deny my policy to renew. Does anyone know any companies in PA that would cover someone with a felony charge?

GoodBI_girl
05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
THERE IS NO WAY FOR SOMEONE NOT IN LAW ENFORCEMENT to check for outstanding warrants anywhere in this country...if they are doing it, it's illegal!

NCIC (National Crime Information Computer) and any state's computer system is not available to anyone who is not in law enforcement. Colorado you can run an arrest check on someone online and pay for it, but it only applied to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation, not federal.

All insurance companies can do is check driving history and credit. Even background checks that are run are for arrests/convictions...outstanding warrants will not be on there.

With that being said, my husband has had no issues getting full coverage insurance. They never even asked. He's had insurance through Farmer's and Liberty Mutual and the cost was competitive. He was without a license for 5 years do to non-payment of child support not traffic violations. Insurance companies do charge more if you did not have previous insurance otherwise there is no issue.

If I know your name in CA I check for outstanding warrants any day of the week online. It's listed under the local Sheriff's dept, how is that illegal. Here is a list of many states that do it.

http://countywarrants.com/Warrant_search_by_state.html

HisAngelHisWife
05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Gieco denied my renewing. I was adding my husband whom has a felony conviction and they stated it has to be over 5 years before they will consiceder it... so after calling many many insurance places... we finally had to go to a not so known place that didnt care. Its sad..