View Full Version : Elmwood Jail (Santa Clara County) Q&A

rachel225
02-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a visit with my husband scheduled on Thur. and I happen to look on line and it's saying that his visit was cancelled by the system and it also reads:The inmates SPRB code has changed and no longer has trusted status.does anyone know what this means?

2YEARS08
02-13-2008, 02:57 PM
SPRB - Supportability Performance Review Board

It sounds like he is now in segregation lock up.... in the hole! He may have been involved in a fight, altercation etc. He's no longer at trusted status meaning his level has changed.

rachel225
02-13-2008, 03:59 PM
It's so weird though because I just went an rescheduled for the same visit and it let me..do you think everything is fine now?

PRIME EVIL
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
SPRB is the code he is assigned due to his behavior level, type of crime and status of his case. It does not mean "Supportability Performance Review Board". Several things could have happened. Is your boyfriend in on a felony? Was he a trustee? Was he on the "farm"?

One reason that you could reschedule the visit for the same time and date is because it might be in a different housing area.

brnsolid
02-26-2008, 04:53 AM
This same exact thing happened to me tonight. I have, or rather HAD, a visit schedualed for 2morrow at 7pm. I go to check it tonight and it says the sprb thing. Can anyone further explain this? My bf is in jail on a felony. I don't know what a trustee even is so I doubt he's in there on that.And no he's not on the farm. His next court date is not until like march 7th..anyways..any expos?

PRIME EVIL
02-26-2008, 07:17 AM
Where was he housed? Where is he housed now? I am willing to bet he was either rolled up or rolled down.
Rolled up = Moved to a higher security
Rolled Down = Moved to lower security
Trustee = Inmate worker

brnsolid
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the term clarification.lol. He's housed in MB/ Housing unit EH I think. None of his booking info has been changed. What would cause him to be moved to higher or lower security? he's yet to be sentenced.

PRIME EVIL
02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Do you mean M8? Where was he before? If he was on the Minimum Compound, he could have been rolled up for a number of things, fight, contraband...etc. M8 is medium security housing.

brnsolid
02-26-2008, 10:17 AM
I just sat on hold for about an hr with the visiting office just for them to tell me the same exact shit.lol. And to top it off I cant reschedual those visits. Hopefully he calls soon and fills me in cuz I just sent him a book yesterday and I might still be able to chang the shipment details if I find out b4 they ship it.

brnsolid
02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
he was in m8 b4...m3 i think b4 that

PRIME EVIL
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Let me know if you have any other questions. I can save you the call....lol

lady jdub
07-11-2008, 10:26 PM
my bf hasnt called me in three days..did anyone call you guys in the last three days? i'm worried.

Stormyme
11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I have two questions regarding Elmwood jail in Milpitas , ca.

#1 Why are they in lock down so much? I know it's not supposed to be a vacation in there, but isnt that bordering inhumane?

#2 Just recently they have pulled the vending machines from my brothers housing unit. He has a credit card type thing he uses for those vending machines, with $35 left on it. He was wondering will they be putting that back onto commisary account? If so , any idea how and when?

Thank you in advance

tizont
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I can answer your first question- "lockdown" simply means those areas that are above minimum security. If someone from minimum is "rolled up" to "lockdown" that means they were moved to a medium security housing unit for doing something wrong or maybe for their protection. Lockdown is not solitary confinement or anything.

edsbaby
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
They may be on lockdown because of issues between inmates or it could be for many different things. Mostly because they are not behaving properly of how the county jail staff want them to act. Unfortunately I can not answer the other questions. Hopefully someone will come along you can.

I have two questions regarding Elmwood jail in Milpitas , ca.

#1 Why are they in lock down so much? I know it's not supposed to be a vacation in there, but isnt that bordering inhumane?

#2 Just recently they have pulled the vending machines from my brothers housing unit. He has a credit card type thing he uses for those vending machines, with $35 left on it. He was wondering will they be putting that back onto commisary account? If so , any idea how and when?

Thank you in advance

pingosgurl
12-24-2008, 05:17 PM
i put my mans info in and it says his release date is 12/20/2009 he only has 10 days to do and it say he has a year by the release date he is in elmwood jail

Mitchell79
12-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, hummm...that's odd. Were you there at his sentancing? or talked to his Public Defender? Might be a typo, if so, you should for sure follow-up or have him follow-up.

snobsktblsr
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
My friend is in elmwood. he was in m2 and i looked online and now he's in m8. is m8 higher security? does that mean he got rolled up?

inlovewithhhp
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi, I am visiting my man for the first time today. I have a scheduled visit. My questions are:

Do you have to pay for parking?

He is in Barracks M-5- where is the best place to park?

Is our visit going to be a contact visit or behind glass?

New to this- thanks for any help!

Jemnme
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
M8 is the "AA dorm" @ Elmwood. If he is there, that is a good thing because now he'll have a chance to go to meetings.

snobsktblsr
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
thanks! thats good to hear because that is definetly what he needs

Peppermint
02-07-2009, 08:20 PM
You don't have to pay for parking, and no won't be behind glass (I'm pretty sure). I visited Elmwood for the first time last weekend and it went alright. My boyfriend is in the M-2 barracks though, so I had to conduct my visit with behind glass on a phone, which was depressing. Most of the prison staff there seem pretty nice. There is a woman with glasses (who looks a bit like Sara Palin *lo*) who's really nice. She's the officer that checks your I.D. and looks up your visit on a computer. Unfortunately, you can only bring ONE key with you, and your I.D. and that's it. If you have anything else, you either have to leave it in your car, or pay a small fee to rent a locker (I've never rented one, so I don't know how much they cost).

snobsktblsr
02-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Ive visited emlwood a lot and one thing important is get there on time. I would even get their early. They are really strict about you being on time and won't let you visit if you are even like one minute late

Peppermint
02-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone out there has a loved one that is currently at Elmwood D.O.C. in Milpitas. My boyfriend is there (he's in the M-2 barracks which is no contact visits), and has been there since the end of January and gets out at the end of March (hopefully!).

snobsktblsr
02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
yeah I have two friends in Elmwood. One is in m5 and the other is in m8. They both havent been sentenced yet and are looking at a lot of time. I've heard m2 isnt too bad. The no contact visits suck though

Mitchell79
02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, my boyfriend is housed at M8.

Mitchell79
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Ive visited emlwood a lot and one thing important is get there on time. I would even get their early. They are really strict about you being on time and won't let you visit if you are even like one minute late

that's so true...I was 3 minutes late and was told to re-schedule :cool:!! lol @ Sarah Palin...she does kinda tho! I know M5 - M2 - M8 are all behind glass visits :( - but hey...it's better then doin' that VIDEO thing in the visiting lobby lol - I even cancelled my visit when they tried to stick me behind that thing lol - Told them to give me the schedule for when the Bus does run to M8..so I can try and avoid that again.

Mitchell79
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Yup, M8 is where they have the "Lifeline" class...Substance Abuse and Anger Managment classes...:cool:

Peppermint
02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
The no contact visits are torture...Ugh. He's not even violent and he didn't commit a violent crime. No idea why they've got him in M-2...and he's already been sentenced! You'd think they change his housing by now, but no.

Chris Jenson
02-25-2009, 02:27 AM
She was at Santa Clara Jail North and suddenly transferred to Elmwood, pending her trial for attempted murder, kidnapping, possession of drugs,
evading police, criminal threats, and a few other charges. Does anyone know if she might be in a one person cell or with others at Elmwood given her status/charges? I'm concerned about her. Anyone know what her days might be like there? I've got a visit pending but don't know what to expect. Thanks for any information.

Mitchell79
02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Hello - Well, I believe she is probably housed in a "Lock-down" barracks - meaning, yes, she probably has a celly...however, I'm not sure if they treat the women any different then the men, but I wouldn't think so...meaning with housing.

They will give her a mental evaluation when she gets there...just to make sure she is "ok".

Advice on visits at Elmwood - Be on time!! :)

snobsktblsr
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I think he can request to be sent to the farm depanding on the circumstance. They have contact visits there. Last time my ex was arrested he started in m-2 then got moved to the farm after he was sentenced

snobsktblsr
02-25-2009, 01:33 PM
what is lifeline class? Also do you think it looks better in court that he is in m-8?

Mitchell79
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Lifeline is an AA class basically...like I said, Substance Abuse and Anger Management. I believe the guy that teaches that class is a former Harlem Globetrotter :D whom also had issues with addiction. They make you write a 6 page "mini" autobiography on yourself and why they want to change the first 2 weeks of class. They actually give them alot of "homework" - By the way, it's a "privilege" to take the class, depends on the space they have available. So yes, it's good that he is there...means the judge saw some hope for him lol :thumbsup:!!

M8 is pods/dorm living, still considered "lock-down" tho - basically there is like 70 dudes in one huge room, sucks...but it's not suppose to be a vacation so...lol:cheers: - just a bit to much testosterone in one area and alot of lame "politics" ya know...:rolleyes: M5 is also a lock-down barracks, however, it's cell living - you and another celly only, which some prefer cuz it minimizes some of the "politics", BUT you also wont get the options for classes, such as Lifeline, which means you probably wont get released for a good amount of time. And yes, you can be kicked out of the Lifeline class if you don't follow the "rules"...so again, its a "privilege", due to space.

Hope that helped some....:)!!

snobsktblsr
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
thanks so much! So the judge decides if they can go to m-8? Do you think that means a shorter sentence? Maybe a rehab program? I hope so! That would be sooo much better than jail or prison for my friend!

Mitchell79
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Well, I actually wrote a letter to the judge....I'm sure the reason for my b/f being there, is much different from yours...meaning circumstances etc...But, yes the judge was the one who did the referral for the classes and asked him if he was willing to take them..he of course, said yes. I'm really not sure if it helps him get less "time", however, I would think it helps alot, since the counselor has to write a letter to the judge regarding his progress.

I just wanna add - The time he does in this class is all upon how he views it - Don't let him give you a "pity party" over it hun...He put himself there again!! I told my b/f to shut-up and think about why he is really there...rather then give me a sad story on how the food and politics suck...I'm not a push over so...dont like to hear the whining!! lol

Chris Jenson
02-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info Mitchell79.

Mitchell79
02-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Oh and one other thing...Your visit may be behind glass...so i would kinda expect the worst and just hope alittle for contact visit...not such a let-down when you realize you will be talking on a phone and behind glass - but it's better then those video visits in the lobby...can I say awkward!! lol

Hope your visit goes well... or did go well :thumbsup:!!

Mitchell79
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Can anyone tell me anything about M3? at Elmwood plz.

I know what M5 - M8 - M2 is....but not M3?!?! Maybe is Minimum ? rather then lock-down??? *shrugs*

Any info is appreciated...

BTW - Housing code says: PD

Chris Jenson
03-03-2009, 06:33 PM
she's in leg irons and a waist chain. talk about hard core. Her fault though. She did the crime. I just wonder what it's like in there.
I have yet to visit which will be soon. Glad it's glass and not video. It sounds really impersonal. Do they really have to get up in the a.m.
at like 4, and have breakfast that early? Who has an appetite at 4a.m.?
Does she have yard time? or would she be locked up 23 of 24 hrs?
And, do you know what prison she would end up in if sentenced out of
Santa Clara/Sunnyvale courts? She'll most likely end up doing a few years.
Thanks for any info.

Mitchell79
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Nevermind, got the answer I was lookin' for - ugh...he got rolled-up for 30 days!! :mad:

Mitchell79
03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Ouchie...:( Yeah, she's got some heavy charges to face....

Well, I'll tell ya what I do know...:idea:

4AM is Breakfast :caffeine:

11AM is Lunch :spammy:

3PM is Dinner :harvest: << but it don't look like that...lol

Crappy schedule ha?.....:shrug: I'm guessing she will be sittin' at Elmwood for a few months before sentencing. I'm really not sure what prison she will go too. I'm guessing some womens facility...?!? As far as "yard" time -I'm sure she gets to go out for maybe 30 minutes every other day or something...She's in "max", so when she gets to go out it's like this area that is enclosed but doesn't have a "roof", if that makes any sense...hard to explain sorry...it's outdoors but not really...Is she able to call you? They normally get some phone time every few days.

Gosh, i hope some of this helps...

Cheers!

Chris Jenson
03-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Thank you for all the info you provided Mitchell79. That's tough, breakfast at 4a.m.,
and then lunch at 11:00. I'm just getting hungry for breakfast at 11:00 and dinner??
I'd be starved all night if dinner is at 3pm. Do they allow smoking? She's a smoker. I feel for anyone that has to be there where she is or anyone that's been there. I'll see her on a visit soon, I just wanted to know what she's up against. She doesn't talk about it much on the phone. I can understand why now. Thanks again!

worried parent
03-06-2009, 02:31 PM
My daughter received word that her boyfriend moved from M2 to M5 and her visit was canceled. He is in for parole violation and facing another possible felony. Either he does not know the reasons or she isn't telling her parents. He keeps going to court but is only told to come back again in a month. Is this usual? Why would he be moved to the M5 unit which I presume is more secure.
Worried for my daughter....
Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Mitchell79
03-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello :)

M2 & M5 are pretty much the same thing - Probably was just moved due to space...I wouldnt worry about it to much hun, I'm sure he is fine :). You should be able to re-schedule to visit.

Cheers!

Mitchell79
03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Thank you for all the info you provided Mitchell79. That's tough, breakfast at 4a.m.,
and then lunch at 11:00. I'm just getting hungry for breakfast at 11:00 and dinner??
I'd be starved all night if dinner is at 3pm. Do they allow smoking? She's a smoker. I feel for anyone that has to be there where she is or anyone that's been there. I'll see her on a visit soon, I just wanted to know what she's up against. She doesn't talk about it much on the phone. I can understand why now. Thanks again!

No they do not allow smoking :eek: - that really has to suck when you're a smoker.

juile408
04-25-2009, 02:23 AM
i was wondering the whole locker thing..
last time i went and unfortunately i had a video visit, and i kida read the sign by the lockers that it said that you had to provide your own lock.
the reason why im asking is because im taking the bus to elmwood next time and
i would like to know if anyone has used one of those lockers? or what is the cost to rent one?

thanks.
:)

inlovewithhhp
04-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Julie,

No, you do not have to provide your own lock. The lockers cost .50 cents. You put in your money and put your stuff in, then pull out the key. You keep the key with you until your visit is over. If you are doing a video visit you don't need a locker because you're right there.

The reason you got stuck doing a video visit is that they only fire up the bus if there are 7 or more people going to M8 (I asked). They told me that Thursday nights 7, 8 and 9pm and Saturday/Sunday 9am-9pm are your best chances of getting to ride the bus. (no guarantees though). The thing is- I make my appts. online, and they are often booked up 3 weeks in advance for those times. So- make your appts. now! If I can help further, please let me know! What a trooper to take the bus to see your loved one! I'm sure he/she appreciates it! Bless your heart! :)

i was wondering the whole locker thing..
last time i went and unfortunately i had a video visit, and i kida read the sign by the lockers that it said that you had to provide your own lock.
the reason why im asking is because im taking the bus to elmwood next time and
i would like to know if anyone has used one of those lockers? or what is the cost to rent one?

thanks.
:)

juile408
04-25-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Julie,

No, you do not have to provide your own lock. The lockers cost .50 cents. You put in your money and put your stuff in, then pull out the key. You keep the key with you until your visit is over. If you are doing a video visit you don't need a locker because you're right there.

The reason you got stuck doing a video visit is that they only fire up the bus if there are 7 or more people going to M8 (I asked). They told me that Thursday nights 7, 8 and 9pm and Saturday/Sunday 9am-9pm are your best chances of getting to ride the bus. (no guarantees though). The thing is- I make my appts. online, and they are often booked up 3 weeks in advance for those times. So- make your appts. now! If I can help further, please let me know! What a trooper to take the bus to see your loved one! I'm sure he/she appreciates it! Bless your heart! :)

thank you so much for the information..
fortunately my husband got moved to the "farm" place.
its not too bad taking the bus since i only have to take one.
and of course i always need to carry my cell phone with me at all
times.

thank you so much for the information. :)

juile408
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
what does it mean when your visit is cancelled and it says that
"because the number of booths has been reduced to 0" ?

mine got cancelled and so did my friends visit.

juile408
04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
does anyone know whats happening with the visits at elmwood right now?

traci27
05-01-2009, 04:27 PM
does anyone know whats happening with the visits at elmwood right now?

Yes, I'd like to know the same thing. I drove all the way up there last night from Hollister just to be told all minimum camp visits are suspended until further notice. I have been going online all day to see if it's been lifted, but as of 2pm, it was not. And does anyone know if they are are lock down and can't use the phones either?

It's quite possible with the Swine Flu going around and 4-5 schools closing in Santa Clara county (some for 2 weeks, May 11th), that made this decision for them. As a lot of school age children are brought to visits, it could be spread quite quickly. With no visits, the phone usage is going to go up and as there are more inmates than phones, I'm thinking there is a long wait. As I only get one call a day (husband in RCP), not being able to see him or talk to him is excruciating. And this is the week he was going to be told the day he gets released into Phase II on the outside. I'm dying here waiting to find out! Supposed to be in two weeks!

FYI: still can't schedule a visit as of 4pm today.

blud13
05-07-2009, 12:15 AM
After 4 1/2 years after being arrested, I am heading to Elmwood on Friday for "9 months". My sentence was not stayed pending my appeal and EMP was denied. The judge, however, told my lawyers that they should see him in 6 weeks since he didn't want to mess up my family or my business (I own my own IT consulting company).

Anyway, I have read horrid and not so horrid reactions to Elmwood. I spent 3 days at the main jail back in 2004 when I was originally expected. I plan on taking a sheet with my contacts on it, and $300 in cash for the books. I already have had family send me books via Amazon.

Anything anyone can suggest for my first visit there? I am 37 and whiter than white... My wife is buggled about the whole sentencing as she believes what the judge put on the paper, 9 months. My lawyers say they can get me out possibly in 3 months if I enter programs. I have worked with computers for 15 years and wondering if there is a class that teaches inmates skills that I could help out with or just other computers that need fixing?

I know I need to be choosy with 'friends' (I know ALL of the people on here who have people in Elmwood are great..hook me up!)

Thanks for any answers to this rumbling email...

juile408
05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Yes, I'd like to know the same thing. I drove all the way up there last night from Hollister just to be told all minimum camp visits are suspended until further notice. I have been going online all day to see if it's been lifted, but as of 2pm, it was not. And does anyone know if they are are lock down and can't use the phones either?

It's quite possible with the Swine Flu going around and 4-5 schools closing in Santa Clara county (some for 2 weeks, May 11th), that made this decision for them. As a lot of school age children are brought to visits, it could be spread quite quickly. With no visits, the phone usage is going to go up and as there are more inmates than phones, I'm thinking there is a long wait. As I only get one call a day (husband in RCP), not being able to see him or talk to him is excruciating. And this is the week he was going to be told the day he gets released into Phase II on the outside. I'm dying here waiting to find out! Supposed to be in two weeks!

FYI: still can't schedule a visit as of 4pm today.

i got a call from my fiance and the reason why there is no visits its because of the swine flu. all the inmates are having a hard time right now, since there is no visits :(

Mitchell79
05-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah...This is one of those times that I'm glad my babes not at "camp" - I still get see him him currently...

Hope you get your visits back soon - I'm sure the guys are gettin' alittle irritated by this by now...:(

juile408
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
does anyone know whats going on with the visits at elmwood??
speacially the for the inmates at minimum camp?? when are we going to be allowed to visit?

when i try to schedule a visit online, it says something "there are currently no visits for inmate in minimum camp. please check later"
yet it shows the hours and dates that are available to visit?

does anyone know whats going on?

Shari
05-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I am not sure what elmwood is, is that a federal camp. This forum is for Calif. Fire Camps, and the inmate firefighters. I am sorry that we probably will not be able to help you.

PT ROSE
05-11-2009, 08:33 PM
You had this thread posted in the Fire Camp Forum, I moved it here to the County Jail forum where you will get better answers to your question.

Mitchell79
05-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, due to the Swine Flu - However, Visits have opened back-up as of yesterday :)

Cheers :thumbsup:

does anyone know whats going on with the visits at elmwood??
speacially the for the inmates at minimum camp?? when are we going to be allowed to visit?

when i try to schedule a visit online, it says something "there are currently no visits for inmate in minimum camp. please check later"
yet it shows the hours and dates that are available to visit?

does anyone know whats going on?

TONEFLEMATEGIRL
05-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about M3? at Elmwood plz.

I know what M5 - M8 - M2 is....but not M3?!?! Maybe is Minimum ? rather then lock-down??? *shrugs*

Any info is appreciated...

BTW - Housing code says: PD
hi,what i do know they call that maxium security hella bunks in one big ass room.umm two visits a week only 30 mins.they can use the phone .visits are behind glass on phone.

mrsaguilar
08-19-2009, 12:54 AM
did your aunt get sentenced yet? my bf is in main jail north for the same thing... but i don't know how long hell do yet.

Kushiel'sChosen
08-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Is there a way for my friend and I to visit our friend at the same time? He only gets two time slots a week, and his mother takes one.

Shadowrose
08-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes, When you sign up to visit the inmate, you can add in another person along with yourself. That way, you and another can visit at the same time, that way, you have an extra visit that week

Kushiel'sChosen
08-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Can I do this online?

snowangel1000
09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I am a thousand miles away, in another state, and feeling helpless. My friend (ex-boyfriend, but idiot that I am, I still love him), is currently at Elmwood. He was arrested in mid-August on an "under the influence" charge, some type of theft charge, and probation violation. I am told that he will be in jail until February, and that he may do "state" time. What does "state" time mean?

He does not have any money on his books, and his family refuses to send him any, stating the county provides for all his needs. However, he wrote me and said he needs money to buy shampoo, toothpaste, etc. How much do these things cost from the commissary? What does the county provide? What other items could be purchased from the commissary? What would be a reasonable amount to send him for a one month period? Is he really a "target" if he does not have the money on his books to purchase hygeine items and little snacks?

He is in a programs dorm. What does that mean?

What kind of medical care is availalbe to him? He has an injury and is supposed to take pain killers but states that he is not being given his proper meds.

Any other information about Elmwood would be appreciated.
Thank you.

yzaz
09-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Your input made me feel better. My B/F was transfered to M8 from M3 after his court appearance. I've known this online...it also says that the date of his release is on 11-09-2009, he was arrested on sept 10,2009(parole violation). Does he have the chance to be released earlier than the date they gave him? Thanks, hope you are still here since you posted this months ago.

Chris Jenson
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM
did your aunt get sentenced yet? my bf is in main jail north for the same thing... but i don't know how long hell do yet.

She got 5 years total. Since there was violent felonies involved, she'll do 85% of 5 years IF she does good time. I figure she'll be out in the summer of 2012. All the other charges run concurrently which means no additional time. The time for those charges will be done during the 5 years she is already there. She has a habit of chasing down her girlfriends and assaulting them, breaking cell phones, choking them, stalking them, vandalizing their homes, terrorizing them. She finally got caught. I hope the 4 years she ends up doing teaches her to keep her hands to her F-N self. Otherwise, she'll be violating the 3 strikes law. As of now, she has 2 strikes. When she's finally released, she better fly right or bye bye forever. It'll be the pokey for life.

Electra332
10-16-2009, 10:00 PM
i have a visit tomorrow and he was moved from m5 to m8. i seem to remember someone dropping a thread here saying something about a shuttle that she didnt know about until after she got there. it says to get there 30 minutes early just like when he was in m5, but i distinctly remember someone saying that her man was in m8 and she showed for visit, the appropriate 30 minutes early, and was late for the shuttle. does anyone know about this shuttle? how early do i have to get there? and are the visits still behind glass?

Harv*sGirl
10-17-2009, 11:35 PM
Did you try calling elmwood directly? I had to call there once when I thought my man was going there I think it was a pain to get someone on the phone but once I finally got someone they were very helpful.

lowe_e
10-19-2009, 11:47 PM
My daughter received word that her boyfriend moved from M2 to M5 and her visit was canceled. He is in for parole violation and facing another possible felony. Either he does not know the reasons or she isn't telling her parents. He keeps going to court but is only told to come back again in a month. Is this usual? Why would he be moved to the M5 unit which I presume is more secure.
Worried for my daughter....
Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

I am a worried parent. My son was moved fraom M2 to M5 can you tell me if I have anything to be worried about?:confused:

hjwilliams
11-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know what the minimum camp is at Elmwood? What are the work hours and what do they do?

CONFUSEMOM
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Well, I actually wrote a letter to the judge....I'm sure the reason for my b/f being there, is much different from yours...meaning circumstances etc...But, yes the judge was the one who did the referral for the classes and asked him if he was willing to take them..he of course, said yes. I'm really not sure if it helps him get less "time", however, I would think it helps alot, since the counselor has to write a letter to the judge regarding his progress.

I just wanna add - The time he does in this class is all upon how he views it - Don't let him give you a "pity party" over it hun...He put himself there again!! I told my b/f to shut-up and think about why he is really there...rather then give me a sad story on how the food and politics suck...I'm not a push over so...dont like to hear the whining!! lol

Hi, my son just got transferred to Elmwood and is being house in M4, can you pls. tell me what they are? Thank you.

1madgal
12-12-2009, 04:04 PM
my lil brother is serving time at elmwood facility, he has a preexisting condition called deep vein thrombosis, and has been having serious issues with his legs, the staff at this facility are unknowlegable about the condition and despite efforts to inform them they remain ignorant of the seriousness of the situation. maybe they just dont care, ya think? when i have called their and made it an issue they retaliate by making his life more miserable than it is. when he gets to see a real dr they discuss amputation. im at my wits end. his letters tear mt heart out, who can i contact to get some real response without affecting his situation? the dr prescribes treatment(ie. compression stockings etc.) to no avail notes made by the dr are ignored by the med window "RN" or he stands in line for hours on painful limbs only to have the window shut in his face, just for an asprin. help!!!!!!

Jennifer310
12-12-2009, 11:33 PM
my lil brother is serving time at elmwood facility, he has a preexisting condition called deep vein thrombosis, and has been having serious issues with his legs, the staff at this facility are unknowlegable about the condition and despite efforts to inform them they remain ignorant of the seriousness of the situation. maybe they just dont care, ya think? when i have called their and made it an issue they retaliate by making his life more miserable than it is. when he gets to see a real dr they discuss amputation. im at my wits end. his letters tear mt heart out, who can i contact to get some real response without affecting his situation? the dr prescribes treatment(ie. compression stockings etc.) to no avail notes made by the dr are ignored by the med window "RN" or he stands in line for hours on painful limbs only to have the window shut in his face, just for an asprin. help!!!!!!

If you have any diagnosis from before he went in from a doctor you could send that to the Watch Commander or Warden. Not sure what else to say. From my limited experience deputies don't care about inmates.

dcm83
03-31-2010, 06:20 AM
My boyfriend was arrested for A DUI and was in the main jail in downtown san jose. I just seen that they moved him to elmwood in M4. What is M4 and why would he be sent there? Anyone that can help please let me know.

MAMA408
04-30-2010, 05:26 PM
my man just got picked up yesterday for not appearing to court after being subpoena its not the first time hes been at elmwood but it is the first time that they have put "elmwood minimum" under housing facility instead of m-5 er whatever i was wondering if anyone knows what that means?

krenee616
05-18-2010, 12:36 AM
So i tried to set up a prepaid account with my cell phone threw Correctional Billing services so that I may receive collect calls from my man, and they told me that before i will be able to get any calls from this facility my man has to have me and my number put on a call list before he will get threw. I have set up accounts in the past and this has never happened to me. The rep told me it was a new policy by elmwood to keep a log of every number going out of the facility. Has this happened to anyone else and is it true or did the rep at evercom not know what the heck he was talking about? Help!! I just want to be able to take my mans calls asap. Besides isnt the bill from correctionall billing services a call log of every number going out of the facility?

christina8084
07-02-2010, 05:34 PM
i have a visit tomorrow wth my boyfriend at elmwood and i was wondering if your allowed to wear filp flops or any type of sandels? can anyone help me with this thanks

HopeN
07-04-2010, 03:19 PM
i have a visit tomorrow wth my boyfriend at elmwood and i was wondering if your allowed to wear filp flops or any type of sandels? can anyone help me with this thanks

I know this is after the fact, but maybe someone else is wondering, too. The visiting rules say you must wear "shoes and socks"... but I've almost always worn flip-flops and never had anyone say anything about it. It may be different for contact visits, who knows. Some officers seem to have their own rules. Be prepared with a pair of shoes and socks in your car if possible! :)

mamajill
07-09-2010, 04:51 AM
In order to pick up someone from Elmwood on a midnight release you can not have any kind of prior arrest record!!!

My son was supposed to be released last Tuesday night. I asked on three different occasions (3 different cops) what I needed to do on the evening of his release. All three told me to be there by 9:30 pm to sign in (that he had a ride) and to make sure I had a valid drivers license. When I got there I did just that. Ten minutes later I was called up to the desk and told that I could not pick him up and he would now have to wait until the following morning to be released. He told me that the midnight releases are "courtesy releases" and that because I had been arrested in the past I did not qualify to pick him up! Give me a f'ing break!!! I can birth him, raise him, visit him (at Elmwood) three times a week, but I can't pick him up at midnight (but it was fine for me to return in the morning to pick him up). My arrest record consisted of an under the influence back in 1986!!! My son wasn't even fricking born yet!!! :angry:

Sorry to ramble, I am still pissed off about it. I hate the thought of anyone else out there going through what I did that night. Please make sure that whoever picks up your loved one doesn't have any kind of arrest record!!!

Dee523
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
My father-in-law is at Elmwood and mentioned that he can get books mailed to him but we weren't able to understand the website he was saying to order from due to a bad phone connection. Does anyone know what the website is? According to the Elmwood website inmates can only receive books from publishers. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

passingby
07-11-2010, 10:39 PM
My father-in-law is at Elmwood and mentioned that he can get books mailed to him but we weren't able to understand the website he was saying to order from due to a bad phone connection. Does anyone know what the website is? According to the Elmwood website inmates can only receive books from publishers. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
I did send book to my daughter from Barnes and Nobles in Campbell . They known the rules and are familiar with the procedure You can not send a hardcover have the pfn number of the inmate and mailing adress from the jail. and Barnes and Nobles send the book directly from the warehouse..I hope that will help you:thumbsup:

HopeN
07-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Books can be purchased at Borders or Barnes & Noble and delivered through "Friends Outside" (part of Catholic Charities). When you're making your purchase you'll need to fill out a form and pay for shipping. Only paperback books are allowed, and there is a limit of 5 books.

hpyhikn
07-18-2010, 04:52 PM
my man just got picked up yesterday for not appearing to court after being subpoena its not the first time hes been at elmwood but it is the first time that they have put "elmwood minimum" under housing facility instead of m-5 er whatever i was wondering if anyone knows what that means?

To put your mind at ease, that's the minimum security portion of Elmwood. When you visit, you get to hold hands and sit across the table from each other. Your loved one is in a good place.

hpyhikn
07-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Dear Mom: The exact same thing happened to me too. I went to pick up my boyfriend from Elmwood at midnight, drove an hour to get there, had checked several times in advance, and they said nothing about the arrest problem. Ten years ago I had a DUI (who doesn't when they are 21?). That was enough for them to kick me out. The guards are sadistic. They like using their power. Oh the stories I could tell. Thanks for posting this. I hope it saves someone else!

hpyhikn
07-18-2010, 05:01 PM
My boyfriend was arrested for A DUI and was in the main jail in downtown san jose. I just seen that they moved him to elmwood in M4. What is M4 and why would he be sent there? Anyone that can help please let me know.

From what I understand (My boyfriend is there too), it's a rehabilitational facility. The number of inhabitants is limited to 60 or fewer, although they are still in cells. In minimum security, they live in a big dorm. In the M buildings they live in cells. However, M4 has an advantage. Its for people in drug treatment (THANK GOD) and it offers treatment sessions three times a week. They should offer them 7 days a week to help these guys!!!

Anyway, this is good news that your loved one is there. Good luck.

HopeN
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
From what I understand (My boyfriend is there too), it's a rehabilitational facility. The number of inhabitants is limited to 60 or fewer, although they are still in cells. In minimum security, they live in a big dorm. In the M buildings they live in cells. However, M4 has an advantage. Its for people in drug treatment (THANK GOD) and it offers treatment sessions three times a week. They should offer them 7 days a week to help these guys!!!

Anyway, this is good news that your loved one is there. Good luck.

I don't know about all of the M buildings, but M-2 isn't cells, it's more like a dorm setting.

snowbutterfly
07-23-2010, 01:02 AM
So, visiting in the past 2 weeks. Last Saturday, I went to go visit, and I live several hours away. When I got there, I was told visiting was cancelled and would be for several days. I was told to make another visiting appointment for later in the week. Made the appointment for tonight, set up childcare again, planned my outfit, got in the car to go and bam! I get a call that they're in lockdown AGAIN and visits are cancelled. Is there any way to check, before I make the drive, or he gets written up for trying to notify me, that visiting is cancelled? Since I'm either going on the weekend, or in the evening, the visiting office is closed or doesn't answer the phone. It's not just a quick trip over to SEE if visiting is a go or not. Anyone?

:(

Deya
08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
hey everyone.im new on here and i really need you guys' help. does anyone know what the difference between M8 and the barracks M3 is at the elmwood jail? thank you

knguyen
10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Two people I know were transferred from Main Jail South to the Elmwood jail. They were supposed to be released because police didn't find any charges on them. However, the M-3 one violated parole and the M-5 person is on probation. That's the reason why they couldn't be released.
My questions;

1. What is M-3 and M-5? What are the differences.
2. Any other additional information about M-3 and M-5 are good.

They're in Elmwood County Jail Santa Clara, CA

knguyen
10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Hey, what are the differences between M-3 and M-5? Is m-5 bad? =/ I heard they're really strict...... and the eating schedule, is it really that bad?

katn728
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey there, my BF turned himself in on Monday and his release date isn't for another 3 months. He is currently at Main Jail South. I thought he was supposed to be at Elmwood. Is there a specific reason that he's not there yet?

breeziegal
01-23-2011, 01:55 AM
my dude just got sentenced to 16 months state. yet he has a release date posted in county. Theres no other cases and it dosent make sense. will they send him to prison or whats going on behind the scenes. The co see's what I see and offers no explanation. nobody knows. help

DaMeS_GiRl88
01-23-2011, 02:24 AM
Your man got sentenced 16 months state time than he will go to one of cali state prisons. What county website did you go to

richieslady
01-23-2011, 04:29 AM
I dont know alot about this but i been to elmwood & homegirls have talked about a paper comitment where you have alot of credit but i not sure how that works

mfaith
05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I return to court on June 9 where the judge will sentence me to 6 months in jail at Elmwood for my 4th DUI, a felony. I've never been incarcerated and have no idea what to expect or how to prepare. I'll be grateful for any info you can provide, and anything that will help my family prepare for how to mail things, make phone calls, etc.

There is a tiny possibility my attorney can get electric monitoring for me instead, with housing in a sober living environment, but that would take 8 months rather than 6 in custody. Would you just do the jail time and get it over with or do more time, more money, but stay out of jail and in the sober house?

RedSkittle
05-20-2011, 04:55 PM
if u can afford it i would def. stay outta jail. its only 2 more months & a sober house sounds like it may be good 4 u. sry i dont have answers just wanted 2 give my opinion & wish u luck!!

HisSoul
05-21-2011, 06:11 PM
I've never been to jail myself, but have done 3 prison bids with my husband.. If you have a chance at electronic monitering in a sober living enviroment, take it, but you asked about what it's like being in jail.. Well I'll tell you from my husband's experience.. It's nothing like you've ever experienced, and repect is a MUST!! You'll get visits once or twice a week, and you can make collect calls. Time of those c alls, varies. Keep your business to your self, and yourself to your business.. I've heard the food sucks, but family members can send you money to buy food and other items off canteen (Their store) Prison is different, but this is the county jail forum.. Well, that's the basics.. In the beginning of this forum, there should be a link with more information for this county jail.. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions... Good luck and have a good day~

Alabasterbox
05-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi my daughter was at elmwood for six months,she said it was okay she went in at 19 yrs old,you just have to mind your own business and stay away from gossip i think you can do it if my 120 pound shy daughter can make it any girl can the visits were behind glass ,but in your case that might not be can visit one time during week and weekends can send money on your books to help you with whatever you might need while there.it jail but it's not that bad of a place.hope i help any questions i'm here.

jg9109
05-31-2011, 10:56 PM
my boyfriend is in Elmwood Correctional Facility in Milpitas CA [Santa Clara County] i just saw him yesterday and today i tried booking a visit and couldnt... it says he cant have any visits and he's in Transit??? does this mean he's goin upstate already?!? :confused:

shygirl25
05-31-2011, 11:26 PM
It might mean that he has a temporary placement or if he has been sentenced he may be being sent to a facility to do his time now. You can always call elmwood and ask.

lindsay howard
07-21-2011, 11:27 AM
hi all my boyfriend is in main jail south which is in san jose... can anyone tell me if its person to person or behind glass?

clucgo
08-23-2011, 01:15 PM
hi I am new in this thing but I would like to know about my bro he is in m-8 at elmwood if someone is going there this week please let me know my phone is 408 6136399 and my bro 's name is carlos his nick name is choko...please it is the fourth day that he didn;t call me

Sizzle
08-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Sorry to hear that. You have to register urself to visit your brother. You can do the registration on their website, also in order for him to call you, you have to call Gobal Tell Inc and register your phone and make a prepay amount, only then he can call you.

hi I am new in this thing but I would like to know about my bro he is in m-8 at elmwood if someone is going there this week please let me know my phone is 408 6136399 and my bro 's name is carlos his nick name is choko...please it is the fourth day that he didn;t call me

Squirrelcat
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
My love had some old unknown warrants and is on his final leg of a 3 county tour. All very exciting.

We've used mycarepack.com for the last 2 counties... but that's not an option in Santa Clara. I've heard it's something called Jpay... but can we just send money or is there a way to actually send items like with mycarepack?

How does the commissary program work in Santa Clara County jails?

sharkz.lover
11-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know how to send books to inmates in Elmwood?

sharkz.lover
11-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I need help understanding how you are supposed to send books to inmate in elmwood. Please help.

heathermk
11-19-2012, 04:06 AM
You have to use an online service like Amazon - they must be paperback and when you're paying for them you'll need to make sure that the shipping address is actually to Catholic Charities (formerly Friends Outside) - you can get the exact address from the Santa Clara county website - go to the elmwood page and find the mailing/phone info..or you can probably find their address online - i think its on Zanker road.

Ex: Inmate Name/Booking#/PFN#
C/O Catholic Charities
Address, etc.

Catholic Charities will deliver the books to Elmwood - I've had it take as long as 5 weeks for them to deliver after receiving them..and as little as 2 1/2 weeks.

heathermk
11-19-2012, 04:16 AM
If you want to send a food package kind of thing use Access Securepak, (i can't type the url in this post but it's accesscatalog - with the dot com and the w's) . If you want to just put money on his books so he can order his own food, you have a few options... you can send a money order - it must be a postal money order - go to the Santa clara county website - elmwood page and check the mailing information - -if money order is not written correctly they will send it back. you can also go to main jail or elmwood jail and use the kiosk machine in the lobby.. it takes cash and credit/debit cards. - you pay no fees with the money order - the kiosk charges you according to the amount you add.. up to 19.99 it 2.95, $20 and up it'll cost you a minimum of 5.95. i think there is an online way as well, but I've never had any luck locating one that works for elmwood inmates.

My love had some old unknown warrants and is on his final leg of a 3 county tour. All very exciting.

We've used mycarepack.com for the last 2 counties... but that's not an option in Santa Clara. I've heard it's something called Jpay... but can we just send money or is there a way to actually send items like with mycarepack?

How does the commissary program work in Santa Clara County jails?

heathermk
11-19-2012, 04:18 AM
main jail south is downtown - not at elmwood - and it's behind glass.. only contact visits are when they're housed at elmwood on "the farm" (minimum security)

hi all my boyfriend is in main jail south which is in san jose... can anyone tell me if its person to person or behind glass?

lolita87
08-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Does anyone know if there is a forum for people who have loved ones in Elmwood County Jail? Santa Clara County?

jjsmom05
01-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Can anyone give me any details on M4 in Elmwood? If I'm correct M4 is PC (protective custody). Why was he sent here? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

concernedsheep
02-04-2014, 11:53 AM
New at this, does anyone know what is M-3, and what does it mean when they transfer someone from santa clara to elmwood? where do I go to schedule a visit for elmwood inmate?

concernedsheep
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
please help me understand,
I only get to have one visit this week, the other was cancelled by system, and it says my husbands name, there is a restriction for him this week? what does it mean? is he on lockdown? is he in trouble? please advice, thank you again in advance for any information.

krystalme01
12-06-2014, 01:23 PM
does anyone know anyone in elmwood m-8 that can relay an urgent message to inmate amything watson to call. His wife please

Lk123
03-26-2015, 12:44 PM
So I'm new to this !!!

I have one question my boyfriend is at Elmwood and his in minimum camp I have a coming visit to go see him and I wo like to know if the visit is going to be through glass or in person face to face .

Does anyone here knows about this??????

TwilightFoxx
05-22-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm pretty new to all of this, and after dealing with an overwhelming amount of confusion/frustration/stress, and coming across this site I'm hoping some of this will help others. I apologize in advance for the length but wished to be comprehensive and I will add more if I find something new.

Visitation:

Very first thing everyone should do is go to the county website and register: <pretty easy to find I couldn't post it due to being a new member>

The process takes up to 4 business days to get approval and you will not be allowed to register to visit until you are approved. If your friend/spouse/family is located at the Minimum Camp you should be allowed contact visits but you will only be able to schedule weekend times to do so. If your friend/spouse/family is located at M3, M4, M5, or M8 all visits will be behind glass and can only be scheduled during weekdays. I'm not sure what specific meaning each building has though M2 currently is not having any visits at all.

Do note that those in M8 will need to take a bus and they only run the bus when there is I believe 7 persons that will be going otherwise they may cancel the visit. All visits will be limited to only 30 minutes and you can only schedule 2 visits per week up to 21 days in advance.

Be certain to arrive no less than 45 minutes prior to when your visit is scheduled. I've seen reports where if you are late they will cancel your visit. This can be frustrating if you have been more accustomed to the process used at the Santa Clara Main Jail especially the 30 minutes vs 1hr visitation time and lack of weekend visitation options.

Books/Documents:

Due to the stringent mail guidelines, unless you are just sending a letter or a 4x6 photo, it would be best to reach out to Catholic Charities of Santa Clara to help you send items to your friend/spouse/family while they are located there since you can't send books directly due to the "direct from publisher" requirement. Here is their info:

Phone: 408-325-5100
URL: <pretty easy to find I couldn't post it due to being a new member>
Address: 2625 Zanker Rd, Suite 210
San Jose, CA 95134

You can send up to 5 paperback books, no thicker than 1-inch, per week. They check packages in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday then deliver the sorted packages on Thursday each week. When you order via Amazon or BN.com it's suggested to use the following format since you will not be able to fit Catholic Charities of Santa Clara in the address field:

<inmate name>, CEN#<insert here>, PFN#<insert here>, attn <insert person from Catholic Charities helping you if any>
2625 Zanker Rd, Suite 210
San Jose, CA 95134

I've used this format via Amazon so I imagine it should work with BN.com as well. I'd suggest making sure that the books you sent arrive prior to sending more just to be safe. I don't know yet what limitations (or even if they can be sent) there are for comics, manga, or magazines yet but if I find out I will post in this thread.

If you mail documents to them to deliver (which follow the same schedule noted for books) be sure to contact them ahead of time. Myself I enclosed everything I wished to have passed along, with the name/CEN/PFN on a plain manilla envelope with my contact info, and sent via a USPS Priority Mail envelope. This way when they receive it on their end they can remove everything out, review it, and place it back into the manilla envelope when they deliver it with the books.

Closing thoughts:

I mainly covered the items that were extremely confusing or not clear to me based upon the terribly worded rules listed on the county website. If anyone can think of anything I didn't mention that may be useful please post here and I'll do my best. I'll also add anything new I find out as I move forward with this especially in regards to visitations and mail. And I do hope that this helps at least one person get thru what I'm finding to be one of the most stressful series of events I've ever had to face with a loved one.

rmc50
05-26-2015, 12:46 AM
Elmwood also has some rather inconsistent and illogical mail rules.

I have a penpal that is in the women's facility there. Last Christmas I mailed her a Christmas card. It was returned - because it was too big. I believe it was 5" x 8" and the biggest they allow is 4 x 7.

A week later I received a Christmas card from her, that she obviously was able to purchase in the commissary. Guess what? It was the exact same size as the card that I tried to send to her!

They are also a bit strange on pictures. I like to write letters and imbed pictures right in the text. I print this out on regular copy paper using an ink-jet printer, so the pictures are on plain paper, not the stiff paper used for photo prints.

They have rejected my letter because the individual pictures did not have her name and PFN number, despite the page having the inmates name and PFN number on it.

R. Mc.

TwilightFoxx
06-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Wished to add a few things after my first visitation:

- When figuring out how to get to Elmwood be sure to use the following address: 945 Thompson Street, Milpitas, CA 95035. The Abel Street route that Google Maps uses will not take into account you needing to get to the visitation area on Thompson the next street up.

- When you arrive at Elmwood be sure to fill out one of the forms (it will be the one with a yellow carbon copy) at the front kiosk, regardless if you registered online, or you will be sent to fill one out when you check in with the first of three guards you will be talking to. You will need to know your family/friend PFN & CEN number when you fill this out so be sure to have this written down.

- There are lockers located there for storage of belongings. The lockers are not big enough to store backpacks; only say a medium-sized purse if that gives you any idea. The lockers cost $0.75 to use while there

- I can't stress this enough be absolutely certain you are there 45 minutes prior to your visitation they do not mess around with this. If you take public transit be sure to account for the 20 minute walk from where the bus and light rail drop off near the Great Mall.

- After they take your ID for holding they will give you a yellow copy of the form you filled out prior. DO NOT lose this! You will need to hand it to the third guard when you arrive at the building you are visiting.

- You will go thru a metal detector prior to being allowed into the visitation holding area. If you are wearing an underwire bra it will set off the detector but they have a method to allow you to pass should that happen. Be sure all of your pockets are empty except for a single key and whatever paperwork you are bringing with you if any.

- Everyone stays in a holding area during that 45 minute period while the previous people are cycled thru and the bus from M-8 arrives. There is only a TV for entertainment and carrying in books or other material to read does not appear to be allowed; only paperwork.

- If a person is located in M-8 you will need to take a bus to get there; all other locations you will have to walk about 2 blocks, give or take it was a pretty fair distance to M-3, to get to where you need to go.

- After handing your form to the guard at the barracks you will be allowed into a room that has a line of booths with phones. DO NOT use the first seat it is reserved for lawyers only and they will force you to move. Also take note to test the booth you sit at the phone actually works. During my visit one of them did not and one person was kind enough to give up their seat since they were all visiting the same person.

- There is no way to tell time while you are in the visiting area so the guard will flash the lights once the 30 minute time period is up

Notes regarding Catholic Charities

- They will only assist with the delivery of books and paperwork forms to fill out. They will not assist with anything that they would consider a regular mail-in item; letters, pictures, printouts, etc.

- Any documentation you send them to have dropped off to fill out may take up to a week longer than a book delivery to get there due to the massive amount of requests they receive. So be sure your contact information is written on a note with it so they can contact you should there be any issues and so they know where to send it to.

I'm going to be running thru the mailing system since the paperwork could not be delivered via Catholic Charities next. If I run into anything new I'll post again here and I hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

TwilightFoxx
06-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Just remembered one thing that I also found out as well. If you wish to pickup your friend/spouse/family property you will need to do two things:

- Fill out a Prisoner's Property Release Form.

- Go to Elmwood Monday thru Friday 7am to 2pm to the front Visitation area to turn in the form to collect their items.

I've not done this yet myself but will be here soon. If I encounter any additional info I'll be sure to post it here.

TwilightFoxx
06-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Got finished doing this last week and wished to add a few notes:

- Be sure to give yourself plenty of time when you do this. It took the staff about 2 hours in order to process everything and allow me to take receipt of the belongings my friend/spouse/family member went in with. Having the form pre-filled out, as they requested, did help smooth the process though it does appear that they may have the forms there should you not do so; not 100% on this so YMMV.

- It is an all or nothing transaction so you will get EVERYTHING they went in with, including their ID, and you will not be allowed to leave anything behind. So please keep this in mind when you do this because your friend/spouse/family member will not have any ID, ATM, or credit cards; only the clothes they were processed with and whatever cash in their account.

- When asked about any money they had they noted that any cash is automatically added to their "account" that they use for things while inside. At the time of their release they are given approximately $20 cash with the rest given back by a check drawn against Bank of America

- There are no Bank of America branches located nearby within easy walking distance; only a Wells Fargo which is located inside of the mall which does not open until 10am

- If your friend/spouse/family member is released, and they have to make their own way home, there is a VTA transit center located nearby the mall across from a McDonalds and a Chevron gas station. They can use the cash money they are given to obtain correct fair to take the bus or light rail from there to get home. If they have never used the VTA transit system it may be helpful to them to write directions to them via letter so that they can use that in order to get home

- If your friend/spouse/family member has no funds to draw from you can deposit some for them using a kiosk located inside of the visitor center that they can then use upon their release

If I think of, or encounter, any other bits of information that would be useful to persons dealing with this the first time I'll post here. Hope this helps someone currently or in the future deal with navigating the system.

MHP
10-11-2015, 11:51 PM
Our son is going to have to serve a one year sentence in a Santa Clara Jail - looks like Elmwood may be the place. He is being pulled out of drug treatment and then will be released back to treatment after his sentence. He is doing really well in treatment. Are there any programs or meetings offered at Elmwood to help maintain sobriety? Are there any opportunities to take online classes or anything? He has finished college but may be interested in something to keeps his brain working. How prevalent are drugs/violence there? He is a polite, quiet and gentle young man and I am worried he will be messed with.
Thanks for any info.

Weezer812
03-30-2016, 07:44 AM
Please someone what does M-3 mean? I read a comment that said it was maximum security but that comment was in 2009. Does anyone have any information on M-3 they can share? I dont understand why he would be in maximum security if it was a dui with no one hurt or killed.

MHP
03-30-2016, 09:15 AM
I will ask my son on Saturday. I am visiting that day.

rmc50
03-30-2016, 12:54 PM
I believe that "M stands for "MEN".

There is also a women's facility, so I believe that the men are all M and them women are all W.

The "3" could indicate a high level of security. I wrote to an inmate in the Women's facility and she was classified as W4 and in maximum security. But the women's facility is all considered maximum security while the men's is considered a minimum security facility.

R. Mc.

welovejehovah
04-08-2016, 06:19 PM

At the SJ Main jail, you talk from behind heavy glass. You're in your own booth with a phone. In Elmwood, there's a long row of glass with small wooden dividers in between, and a phone. There's one small metal stool each, so if you go with multiple people, they have to just stand around.

welovejehovah
04-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Please someone what does M-3 mean? I read a comment that said it was maximum security but that comment was in 2009. Does anyone have any information on M-3 they can share? I dont understand why he would be in maximum security if it was a dui with no one hurt or killed.

M-3 is men, and the unit is protective custody.

welovejehovah
04-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Wished to add a few things after my first visitation:

- When figuring out how to get to Elmwood be sure to use the following address: 945 Thompson Street, Milpitas, CA 95035. The Abel Street route that Google Maps uses will not take into account you needing to get to the visitation area on Thompson the next street up.

- When you arrive at Elmwood be sure to fill out one of the forms (it will be the one with a yellow carbon copy) at the front kiosk, regardless if you registered online, or you will be sent to fill one out when you check in with the first of three guards you will be talking to. You will need to know your family/friend PFN & CEN number when you fill this out so be sure to have this written down.

- There are lockers located there for storage of belongings. The lockers are not big enough to store backpacks; only say a medium-sized purse if that gives you any idea. The lockers cost $0.75 to use while there

- I can't stress this enough be absolutely certain you are there 45 minutes prior to your visitation they do not mess around with this. If you take public transit be sure to account for the 20 minute walk from where the bus and light rail drop off near the Great Mall.

- After they take your ID for holding they will give you a yellow copy of the form you filled out prior. DO NOT lose this! You will need to hand it to the third guard when you arrive at the building you are visiting.

- You will go thru a metal detector prior to being allowed into the visitation holding area. If you are wearing an underwire bra it will set off the detector but they have a method to allow you to pass should that happen. Be sure all of your pockets are empty except for a single key and whatever paperwork you are bringing with you if any.

- Everyone stays in a holding area during that 45 minute period while the previous people are cycled thru and the bus from M-8 arrives. There is only a TV for entertainment and carrying in books or other material to read does not appear to be allowed; only paperwork.

- If a person is located in M-8 you will need to take a bus to get there; all other locations you will have to walk about 2 blocks, give or take it was a pretty fair distance to M-3, to get to where you need to go.

- After handing your form to the guard at the barracks you will be allowed into a room that has a line of booths with phones. DO NOT use the first seat it is reserved for lawyers only and they will force you to move. Also take note to test the booth you sit at the phone actually works. During my visit one of them did not and one person was kind enough to give up their seat since they were all visiting the same person.

- There is no way to tell time while you are in the visiting area so the guard will flash the lights once the 30 minute time period is up

Notes regarding Catholic Charities

- They will only assist with the delivery of books and paperwork forms to fill out. They will not assist with anything that they would consider a regular mail-in item; letters, pictures, printouts, etc.

- Any documentation you send them to have dropped off to fill out may take up to a week longer than a book delivery to get there due to the massive amount of requests they receive. So be sure your contact information is written on a note with it so they can contact you should there be any issues and so they know where to send it to.

I'm going to be running thru the mailing system since the paperwork could not be delivered via Catholic Charities next. If I run into anything new I'll post again here and I hope this is helpful to someone in the future.

That information was so helpful! Thank you!

welovejehovah
10-18-2016, 09:03 PM
M-3 is men, and the unit is protective custody.

About 5-6 weeks ago, all the guys from M3, were relocated to M2, whick had just been newly remodeled. I suppose M3 will now be remodled. It is still protective custody. I know M5 is general population.

welovejehovah
10-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Can anyone give me any details on M4 in Elmwood? If I'm correct M4 is PC (protective custody). Why was he sent here? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The reason someone would be in PC (protective custody) could be because there's was a first-time crime, because they are gang members, looking to get out, they were accused to a sexual offence with a minor, or any other reason they would need to be protected.

Anna429
10-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Hi everyone!
My friend was moved from M5 to M2. I was curious if thats bad and what is the process of visiting at M2, I heard its different from M5.

Kathivnguyen
10-23-2016, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have an update on M8-H my fiancÚ hasn't called :(

welovejehovah
01-27-2017, 01:36 AM
Hi everyone!
My friend was moved from M5 to M2. I was curious if thats bad and what is the process of visiting at M2, I heard its different from M5.

Not necessarily. They switch them up periodically. Visitation is the same, but lucky you, especially in the rain, m2 is much closer.