View Full Version : PENNSYLVANIA marriage Q&A thread

mrsdragoness
11-02-2003, 06:56 AM
Here's a link for Penn. Prison marriages - thanks to tnc.

Pa Inmate Marriage Policy (www.cor.state.pa.us/standards/lib/standards/DC-ADM_821_Inmate_Marriages_Policy.pdf)
updated sept .2006

If you have been married in a Pennsylvania prison or have questions about being married then please post here.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

mrs. d

Blondiehws
11-02-2003, 09:26 PM
I will try to make this short and sweet but when it comes to talking about our relationship that's a hard thing to do.

The first time I visited my husband in prison was Jan. 1, 1998. That summer (approx. June) after constant letters, phone calls and weekly visits, he asked me to marry him. We were told we'd have to go through counselling. HOW?? Well he had to talk with the chaplain. I talked with a minister on my end. I had to write a letter requesting the marriage to the warden and his counselor. He had to do the same. Once the warden and the counselors approved then I had numerous phone conversations with the chaplain to try to figure out how/who to get to do this. I was then told the easiest (probably only) way was to have the District Justice for that prison perform the ceremony. I had originally been told that I would have to have the minister of my choice approved for visits etc. After contacting the DJ I was told I needed to visit the courthouse in that area and apply for a marraige license. Make sure if either of us were married before that we bring proof of divorce. Must also pay fee at that time. The date was set I believe by the DJ. Anyway. I bought our rings (by the way, as far as the kids knew I had called off the wedding) took them with me. He had to have special papers filled out allowing him to wear a wedding band back to his cell after the ceremony. Considering the fact that he did not have it on when he came out for the visit. After all the visitors left for the day we were brought to the area closest to the door where the guards not only stood as witnesses but the cameras also did (wonder if I can still get the tape of our wedding). My oldest son was my the best man, my youngest son the ring bearer and my daughter served a dual purpose as my maid of honor and flower girl (she was the only one that cried at our wedding, until now of course). We said our vows. Signed the marriage license, kissed and went our separate ways. The license was sent to me in the mail. I hope I didn't miss anything. Our wedding day picture was just wonderful. I look like I'm out of it. My husband looks nervous as heck. The best part about all of this was the stories that I came up with. I announced our engagement in the paper. My husband to be was at that time incarcerated in Lewisburg USP. The engagement announcement the year before said that he was self employed as a tattoo artist (true), in Lewisburg (also true). The wedding announcement stated basically the same and even gave who was the attendants in the ceremony. That the couple will live in Willow Street. Our home. I'm sure this is more then you wanted to hear but as I said. Short stories aren't easy.

tonysgirl
11-13-2003, 07:35 PM
MY Fiance' only have 9 months left before he is released. We did not want to get married while he is there, but we wanted to apply for our marriage license a few weeks before he is released so that we can go and get a married as soon as he is home. How do we apply for a marriage license for the state of Penn. when he is incarcerated? Does anyone know?

Thanx

TG

AngelFaceAlbion
09-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Well that link for the .pdf doesn't work. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about a proxy marriage in Pennsylvania? My fiance is in a county jail,and i'm not sure if you can get married at this particular one. I told him to talk to the chaplain and see if he could help us with it,and i hope he asked. But i won't know till next monday. We'd like to get married before he goes down state,which could be any time. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

~*MatthewsBabyGirl*~

Mybaby4ever
10-29-2004, 07:58 PM
I need help myself i was just told that i have to find someone to marry us !!!! so if anyone knows please let me know asap.

loveme
10-29-2004, 08:22 PM
I do know that there are no proxy marriages in PA. There are only three states, Texas, and two others. Me and my baby are discussing going through with it in Texas. We cannot get married inside the prison because I have been banned from visits since Feb. I am new to PTO but I did see a whole listing of previous chats about weddings in prison. Check that out the women are so helpful.

vim1946
10-30-2004, 08:01 AM
The other two states are Colorado and Montana. I am getting married on November 15 in Texas, but my fiance is in a Texas prison!

jigga
12-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Has Anyone Gotten Married At Sci Smithfield??? Or How Do You Go About It In Pennsylvania. How Long Of A Process Is It????

tgenesis
02-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Question For Any One

tgenesis
02-02-2006, 12:48 PM
HAS anyone gotten married in SCI huntingdon and if so how hard is it to get married.

Najm
02-18-2006, 06:56 AM
My fiance is in SCI Dallas and although the DOC handbook say's they allow marriages, they have it nicely tied up with the court so that all the staff refuse to come to the prison to issue a license.I've called every court in PA and nobody will travel, even if I pay their expenses etc, so we will have to do the proxy thing in Texas, although the prison said we cannot do it.

brian's gurl
03-05-2006, 01:07 AM
has anyone got married in sci-albion?

Niddy's_Gurl
07-01-2006, 01:46 PM
my fiance is in sci-albion and we want to get married...if anyone has got married there i would appreciate some information...thank you

STEPH -N-FRANK 4~life

flowers
08-24-2006, 11:24 AM
My fiance & I have heard that the reason FCI McKean is denying our request to get married is due to the fact that we are an interracial couple. :confused: I have written the letter of intent, several times, filled out the questionnaire and still haven't gotten any where. It's always one excuse or another. He has appointed me his poa to do whatever it takes to get us married but I have ran out of options. I don't know what to do or where to go any more. I would appreciate any help anyone has to give me!
Thank you :o

im_in_luv_with_
01-05-2007, 04:28 PM
GOOD LUCK!! I have been trying for months!! Chapelin is a pain. I want it bad if you have any luck let me know my fiance is also at Albion.

Najm
01-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Another thing you could try, is to go over the chaplains head and request marriage from the Superintendent since he has final say after the counsellor and chaplain anyway.
Just explain that the chaplain keeps dragging his feet or refusing you, the supt. can approve it anyway, then you would have to find someone to perform the ceremony and get someone from the court to come to the prison to issue the licence since you both have to be present in PA for the application.
Or you could transfer to another prison, I know Graterford does weddings, but it is a maximum security prison.

As a last resort, there is a company in Montana that does double proxy marriage for $900. The prison does not have to recognise a proxy marriage, but fight them on it, it's a legally binding marriage, fight the DOC on it.
That is what we intend to do.

M.Archer
01-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Well that link for the .pdf doesn't work. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about a proxy marriage in Pennsylvania? My fiance is in a county jail,and i'm not sure if you can get married at this particular one. I told him to talk to the chaplain and see if he could help us with it,and i hope he asked. But i won't know till next monday. We'd like to get married before he goes down state,which could be any time. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

~*MatthewsBabyGirl*~

I'm not sure how much help I can be but I figured I'd give it the best I could with what I know. I don't think that you can get married at a county jail. Unfortunately I think that the state prisons are the only ones that offer marraiges in PA. I am not absolutely sure, but about 80% positive on that statement, hope it helps! and Good luck!!!

M.Archer
01-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Here's a link for Penn. Prison marriages - thanks to tnc.

Pa Inmate Marriage Policy (http://www.cor.state.pa.us/standards/lib/standards/DC-ADM_821_Inmate_Marriages_Policy.pdf)
updated sept .2006

If you have been married in a Pennsylvania prison or have questions about being married then please post here.

1. Did you have any counsling
2. How long did the whole process take
3. Did you have to find your own minister
4. Were you allowed any flowers or disposable camera
5. How many guests were allowed to be there
6. What was the process to get the marriage license
7. What were the costs you had to pay
8. What were the two of you allowed to wear
9. Were you allowed to bring a wedding band in for him or did it have to be mailed and what was the value limit

mrs. d

This has been taken straight from the PA DOC website. Just for everyone's sake. I hope that it will answer a few of these questions for you. I wish you all good luck in this process, I will be going through it all soon enough :D.

1. The counselor will interview and counsel with both parties so that both parties fully understand the inmate’s present custody status and the anticipated date of eligibility for prerelease, parole, or other release status. If prerelease or parole status appears likely in the near future, the inmate may be counseled as to the advisability of deferring the marriage until such status is obtained.

2. Final plans will be developed by the inmate’s counselor and submitted to the Facility Manager/designee for approval of the date, time, and place of the ceremony.

3. A Facility Chaplain may perform the ceremony. If the Facility Chaplain will not perform the marriage ceremony, the cost of a magistrate or an outside person designated as a representative of an authorized faith group and qualified to solemnize marriages shall be incurred by the inmate.

4. The bride will be permitted to carry a simple two flower array during the ceremony.

Only inmate photographers assigned to the Visiting Room may take a photograph, in accordance with facility procedure regarding inmate photographs. The cost for the photograph will be borne by the inmate/spouse.

5. The inmate and his/her prospective spouse will be permitted to have two visitors each present at the ceremony. The visits must be selected from the inmate’s approved visiting list.

6. Some courts may require a personal appearance by the inmate to apply for a marriage license. The inmate is responsible for notifying the court that the Department will not provide transportation to secure the marriage license for security reasons, but alternatives are available.

Available alternatives are as follows:
a. videoconferencing may be considered, providing the facility and the court have the technology, and the use of a videoconference is approved by the court. Applications for marriage using a videoconference will be in accordance with
Department policy 1.1.10, “Videoconferencing;”

and

b. a request that the court permit someone from the Prothonotary’s office to conduct the interview at the facility.

7. The inmate is responsible for the cost of the license.
The cost for the photograph will be borne by the inmate/spouse.
The cost of a magistrate or an outside person designated as a representative of an authorized faith group and qualified to solemnize marriages shall be incurred by the inmate.

8. The inmate will ear state issued clothing for the ceremony.

9. The wedding ban(s) must be present for inspection and approval upon arrival at the facility. The band(s) will consist of a simple metal band without a stone of any kind.

I hope this helps to answer some questions that many may have. I have pretty much studied this document over and over, if you'd like to see the full document yourself, you may PM me at any time, and I can send you a link to the website that I got it from. Best of luck to each and everyone of you!!!!

mrs.tate02
09-29-2007, 01:04 PM
My Boifriendand I What To Get Married.... Anyone Knows Anything About Camphill Or Gratersford???

slay_smith
10-13-2007, 02:30 PM
me and my man were thinking about getting married in jail but we might wait till he gets out when ever that may be but we gotta see whats going to happen

gipkim
07-10-2008, 06:47 PM
My Boo and I want to get married at SCI Rockview, anyone with any information please let me know...Thanks all for your help

Kurrupt
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I am trying to get married at SCI Somerset anybody have any experience they keep giving us the run around.

lizzy1234
08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
There is no longer inmate proxy marriages in montana as of last year.

Teddy's Wife
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Has Anyone Gotten Married At Sci Smithfield??? Or How Do You Go About It In Pennsylvania. How Long Of A Process Is It????

I have been trying to get married there and they're giving me the run around. I want to find someone who has done it so they can tell me what steps to take.

Teddy's Wife
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
has anyone ever gotten married at sci smithfield? please help me out, me and my man want to get married soon.

thickeyphila
11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
:)hi my first time getting married and trust me did not want it to be this way but im getting married in march in houtzdale prison can u tell me what to expect can the gurds be witness because really dont have anyone to bring with me and when shoild i go file my part of the marriage license because it says there is a three day waiting period from the time u apply to the time u can be married the license is good for 60days but belonging to military u is exempt.the ceremony is in march

missi1969
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
has anyone ever gotten married at SCI pittsburgh? I know pa doc allows inmate marriages but like said in the other posts its the hoops that you have to jump through and court staff refusing to come to the prison to do the applications that makes in nearly impossible as well as finding someone to preform; the wedding if the chaplin won't. As for the post about marrying at camp hill, my fiance just left there and went to pittsburg, but while at camp hill he talked to the chaplin about getting married and they told him it was next to impossible at camp hill and theres not been any marriages there for years.

SupportingDavid
01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I spoke to an attorney and told her we wanted to get married. She said if he owns anything like property or such we should wait awhile and have the deeds have my name on them. Otherwise if he has any outstanding bills or used a credit card to pay for a lawyer they cant make you pay. My fiancee is in SCI Pitts but is suppose to get moved to camp Hill for classification. I hope he dont have to stay there he has a brain injury and any blow to head would kill him. Good luck to all who want to be married and supporting your man. Just really think it through the lawyer said.

sweet edelins
04-30-2009, 03:24 PM
hi my name is evelin in trying to find anyone that knows abouts weddings in sci somerset p.a!do this facility allows marrages and how does it work?any body with any info i will really be grateful:confused: thanks!

michellecasey
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Has anyone gotten married at Gratersford?? Please pm me with any info you have or that you know of. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RevDebbie
12-28-2009, 09:46 PM
POLICY STATEMENT
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania • Department of Corrections

Policy Subject: Inmate Marriages
Policy Number: DC-ADM 821
Date of Issue: September 28, 2006
Authority: Jeffrey A. Beard, Ph.D.
Effective Date: October 27, 2006

I. AUTHORITY

The Authority of the Secretary of Corrections to direct the operation of the Department of
Corrections is established by Sections 201, 206, 506, and 901-B of the Administrative
Code of 1929, 71 P.S. §§61, 66, 186, and 310-1, Act of April 9, 1929, P.L. 177, No. 175,
as amended.

II. PURPOSE

This document establishes procedures for inmate marriages.

III. APPLICABILITY

The policy and procedures set forth in this document are applicable to all facilities under
the jurisdiction of the Department.

IV. DEFINITIONS

A. Department

The Pennsylvania Department of Corrections.

B. Facility Manager

The Superintendent of a State Correctional Facility or State Regional Correctional
Facility, Commander of a Motivational Boot Camp, Director of a Community
Corrections Center, or Director of the Training Academy.

C. Faith Group Representative/Leader

An individual from the outside religious community, approved by the Facility
Manager/designee, who coordinates and conducts religious activities.

D. Magistrate

For the purposes of this policy, the magistrate is the local district justice who has the
authority to perform a civil marriage ceremony that is legally binding.

V. POLICY

It is the policy of the Department to allow inmates to marry while incarcerated in
accordance with the procedures set forth below.

VI. PROCEDURES

A. The initial request for marriage will be submitted in writing by the inmate to his/her
counselor.

B. The counselor will interview and counsel with both parties so that both parties fully
understand the inmate’s present custody status and the anticipated date of eligibility
for prerelease, parole, or other release status. If prerelease or parole status appears
likely in the near future, the inmate may be counseled as to the advisability of
deferring the marriage until such status is obtained.

C. Final plans will be developed by the inmate’s counselor and submitted to the Facility
Manager/designee for approval of the date, time, and place of the ceremony.

D. The inmate is responsible for the cost of the license.

E. Some courts may require a personal appearance by the inmate to apply for a marriage
license. The inmate is responsible for notifying the court that the Department will not
provide transportation to secure the marriage license for security reasons, but
alternatives are available.

F. Available alternatives are as follows:

1. videoconferencing may be considered, providing the facility and the court have the
technology, and the use of a videoconference is approved by the court.
Applications for marriage using a videoconference will be in accordance with
Department policy 1.1.10, “Videoconferencing;” and

2. a request that the court permit someone from the Prothonotary’s office to conduct
the interview at the facility.

G. A Facility Chaplain may perform the ceremony. If the Facility Chaplain will not perform
the marriage ceremony, the cost of a magistrate or an outside person designated as a
representative of an authorized faith group and qualified to solemnize marriages shall be incurred by the inmate.

H. Magistrates or a representative of an authorized faith group qualified to solemnize
marriages may perform the ceremony with the facility’s visiting room when regular
visiting hours are not scheduled and in accordance with Department policy DC-ADM
812, “Inmate Visiting Privileges.”

I. The Facility Manager/designee will ensure that an appropriate level of security
personnel and equipment is present during the wedding ceremony.

J. The inmate and his/her prospective spouse will be permitted to have two visitors each
present at the ceremony. The visits must be selected from the inmate’s approved
visiting list.

K. The wedding ban(s) must be present for inspection and approval upon arrival at the
facility. The band(s) will consist of a simple metal band without a stone of any kind.

L. The bride will be permitted to carry a simple two flower array during the ceremony.

M. The inmate will ear state issued clothing for the ceremony.

N. Upon completion of the marriage ceremony, the couple shall be allowed a brief kiss. A
visit shall be permitted in accordance with DC-ADM 812.

O. Only inmate photographers assigned to the Visiting Room may take a photograph, in
accordance with facility procedure regarding inmate photographs. The cost for the
photograph will be borne by the inmate/spouse.

P. An inmate in a Community Corrections Center (CCC) is responsible for all
arrangements in Section D. and E. above.

Q. A marriage request by a Capital Case inmate will be referred to the Facility
Manager/designee and Regional Deputy Secretary for review.

VII. SUSPENSION DURING AN EMERGENCY

In an emergency or extended disruption of normal facility operation, the
Secretary/designee may suspend any provision or section of this policy, for a specific
period.

VIII. RIGHTS UNDER THIS POLICY

This policy does not create rights in any person nor should it be interpreted or applied in
such a manner as to abridge the rights of any individual. This policy should be interpreted
to have sufficient flexibility to be consistent with law and to permit the accomplishment of
the purpose(s) of the policies of the Department.

IX. RELEASE OF INFORMATION AND DISTRIBUTION OF POLICY

A. Release of Information

1. Policy

This policy document is public information and may be released upon request.

2. Procedure Manual (if applicable)

The procedures manual for this policy is not public information and shall not be
released in its entirety or in part, without the prior approval of the
Secretary/designee. This manual or parts thereof, may be released to any
Department employee on an as needed basis.

B. Distribution of Policy

1. General Distribution

The Department’s policy and procedures manuals (when applicable) shall be
distributed to the members of the Central Office Executive Staff, all Facility
Managers, and Community Corrections Regional Directors on a routine basis.
Distribution to other individuals and/or agencies is subject to the approval of the
Secretary/designee.

2. Distribution to Staff

It is the responsibility of those individuals receiving policies and procedures, as
indicated in the “General Distribution” section above, to ensure that each employee
expected or required to perform the necessary procedures/duties is issued a copy
of the policy and procedures.

X. SUPERSEDED POLICY AND CROSS REFERENCE

A. Superseded Policy

1. Department Policy

DC-ADM 821, Inmate Marriages issued March 12, 2001 by Secretary Jeffrey A.
Beard, Ph.D.

DC-ADM 821-1, Inmate Marriages issued January 14, 2004 by Secretary Jeffrey A.
Beard, Ph.D.

2. Facility Policy and Procedures

This document supersedes all facility policy and procedures on this subject.

B. Cross References

1. Administrative Manuals

a. DC-ADM 812, Inmate Visiting Privileges

b. 1.1.10, Videoconferences

2. Accreditation Standards

a. Administration of Correctional Agencies: None

b. Adult Correctional Institutions: None

c. Adult Community Residential Services: None

d. Adult Correctional Boot Camp Programs: None

e. Correctional Training Academies: None

bls5049
02-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know how to get married in FCI Schuylkill?? My fiance talked to his counselor who told him that I had to do everything from the outside and he could research it in the law library. So, I called to figure out what I needed to do and spoke to some guy that the front desk transferred me to. He told me that in Pennsylvania inmates cannot get married due to the fact that we both have to be present for a license. I would have believed him but I know people that got married at USP Allenwood last year, and my aunt works at a state prison in Pennsylvania and is always talking about the people who are getting married. I don't get it, why are they not willing to give the information I need? Regardless, I know his information was wrong, and it is possible in Pennsylvania. It has nothing to do with Pennsylvania state laws because I know of people getting married in state and other federal prisons in Pennsylvania. Has anyone else run into this?? Does anyone know what I need to do next??
Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

RevDebbie
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I officiate weddings at FCI Fairton in NJ. The local Registrar comes right to the prison to take the marriage license application from both the inmate and the bride together.

At South Woods State Prison in NJ, they transport the inmate to the Registrar's office to make his application for the marriage license. The inmate must have $425.00 deposited into his account to pay for the two guards who will transport him.

At the state prisons in PA, they allow a video conference between the inmate and the marriage license clerk for the application if the clerk's office has video conferencing capabilities.

You should have your fiance investigate all of the above possibilities with his counselor.

bls5049
02-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I officiate weddings at FCI Fairton in NJ. The local Registrar comes right to the prison to take the marriage license application from both the inmate and the bride together.

At South Woods State Prison in NJ, they transport the inmate to the Registrar's office to make his application for the marriage license. The inmate must have $425.00 deposited into his account to pay for the two guards who will transport him.

At the state prisons in PA, they allow a video conference between the inmate and the marriage license clerk for the application if the clerk's office has video conferencing capabilities.

You should have your fiance investigate all of the above possibilities with his counselor.

thanks, ill have him check..although the way he talked the counselor didnt seem like she was willing to put any effort into helping him.

RevDebbie
02-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh, and you might find this document helpful too!

bls5049
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks, ill print that out and send to him too, the more information the better. I just feel like they are being lazy and don't want to help.

Savannah_Byrd
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
My wonderful fiance is in USP Allenwood in PA... Has anyone been married there and know what the process is? He has 5.5 years left (IF he is good) and 6.5 years left if he isn't (he damn well better be good!!)

harasubam
04-20-2010, 08:54 AM
there is a wealth of info on marraige in this site. you just need to dig for it. im in va but it all works about the same, he needs to request a packet from the prison fill out the paper work and get an aproval for a date, then you must go to a marraaige lisence branch and get a licence this is harder because most require both to be present. ,then you must get him to sign it and notorized take it back to the branch and get the lisence then get someone willing to preform the marraige at the prison and set a date/.

Savannah_Byrd
05-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Apparently there is a memo on the chapel at USP Allenwood stating that they no longer allow marriages due to the fact that no one is willing to come to the prison. I am not sure if they are referring to preforming the marriage or providing the licence. Can this be fought?

his babe forever
05-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I have an inmate penpal in FCI Allenwood named REGAN (handsome black man), I would like to have info about him. He wants to meet me, but before I'll visit I wanna know if he's married or in relationship. He tells no, but just wondering...Thank you.

alaya92
12-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Well actually I'm not married yet but I want to. He has thirty to sixty years I was thinking that I still have plenty of time to marry him but I'm just not sure any advice will be helpful

brendaperrine
12-19-2010, 09:21 AM
im wanting to get married to an inmate at houtzdale and i dont even know where to start. do you have to file any paper work? i hope you can help me plz!!!!:D

light at end
12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
What state is Houtzdale in?

DOELO
01-02-2011, 02:48 AM
im wanting to get married to an inmate at houtzdale and i dont even know where to start. do you have to file any paper work? i hope you can help me plz!!!!:D

i dont know about houtzdale, but i know about sci dallas if u want that info

drosado2003
01-12-2011, 08:51 AM
My fiance is currently incarcerated at SCI Dallas. I filed a petition for the marriage licence and have a schedule date to apply (2/11/11)...does anyone know a Pastor or Clergy who is willing to perform the ceremony at the prison??

nexiahatch
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I hesitate to ask this, because it appears everyone here has loved ones in State or Federal, but my fiance` is currently in the Cambria County Jail, and I was wondering if anyone here knew of anyone who'd gotten married here? Or if anyone has any information about it I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

als1wife
09-09-2011, 11:36 PM
My Boo and I want to get married at SCI Rockview, anyone with any information please let me know...Thanks all for your help

hey i was just wondering if you got married in SCI Rockview i am in need of some info if so please let me know how it was in congrats!!:)

FreeMyKing
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
i want to get married at FCI SCHUYKILL any info?

CC7649
02-07-2012, 02:59 PM
i dont know about houtzdale, but i know about sci dallas if u want that info

Hi, my fiance is in SCI Greene and I am in Washington state, but I'm willing to travel to whichever clerk's office needed to get the license. I know video conferencing is a possibility, but I don't know if either SCI Greene or which clerk's office will agree to it. I also noticed a thread where she said she "petitioned for her license" but didn't go into detail about what that entails. Any help you could give would be helpful. Basically I need to know if there are any clerk's that will give out a license without the inmate presence, and/or any clerks office that will allow the inmate to sign via video conferencing and/or any other possible means of getting the license. I do know Greene does not transport inmates to the clerks office.

Thanks,

Laura

CC7649
02-07-2012, 03:04 PM
My fiance is currently incarcerated at SCI Dallas. I filed a petition for the marriage licence and have a schedule date to apply (2/11/11)...does anyone know a Pastor or Clergy who is willing to perform the ceremony at the prison??

Hi,

I was wondering what you meant by "I filed a petition for the marriage licence"? I'm trying to find out what counties will allow the license to be either signed by the inmate at the facility by a notary and/or will allow them to have him sign it via video teleconferencing. I know SCI greene will not transport inmates to the clerk and the last time I checked, there were no clerks willing or able to come to the prison. Any info you can give would help.

Thanks,

Laura

CC7649
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
My fiance is in SCI Dallas and although the DOC handbook say's they allow marriages, they have it nicely tied up with the court so that all the staff refuse to come to the prison to issue a license.I've called every court in PA and nobody will travel, even if I pay their expenses etc, so we will have to do the proxy thing in Texas, although the prison said we cannot do it.

The prison has no say as to whether you can or not. Its his constitutional right to marry and they can't deny it. My husband and I were (I think) the first couple to get married by proxy in in PA in 2005. At that time he was on death row in SCI Greene. They questioned it at first, the chaplain was pissed off because I went around her after two years of her delaying us, but when they sent it to the PA DOC legal department where they, of course, deemed it a "valid marriage". So don't let the prison tell you, you can't marry via proxy.

Laura

CC7649
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Another thing you could try, is to go over the chaplains head and request marriage from the Superintendent since he has final say after the counsellor and chaplain anyway.
Just explain that the chaplain keeps dragging his feet or refusing you, the supt. can approve it anyway, then you would have to find someone to perform the ceremony and get someone from the court to come to the prison to issue the licence since you both have to be present in PA for the application.
Or you could transfer to another prison, I know Graterford does weddings, but it is a maximum security prison.

As a last resort, there is a company in Montana that does double proxy marriage for $900. The prison does not have to recognise a proxy marriage, but fight them on it, it's a legally binding marriage, fight the DOC on it.
That is what we intend to do.

The prison does not have a choice to accept it or not, its a legal binding marriage in all the US states. We were one of the first, if not very first, to marry by proxy while he was on death row in SCI Greene. The marriage certificate was sent to the PA DOC legal department "for review" and they came back and deemed it a "valid marriage"

bobbyjr814
02-08-2012, 03:13 PM
i live in pennsylvania and am trying to find out how to marry a prisioner in another state the state is texas any help would be grateful

carlad
02-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Me n my fiancé wants to get married at houzdale state prison any new advice.,

Mrs. peterson
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
MY fiancé and I are trying to get married and he is in usp lewisburg and I'm in CALI can
help me please thank you!!!!!!

roxie1968
03-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know how I go about getting married to someone at Sci Dallas.. Step by step .. I know he has to Do a video conference to get the marriage licenses but who does he get the paper work from to start the process .. I am new to all this and no one at Dallas is giving us any answers they keep telling us wait till he gets out which is what we don't wanna do... Please help... They are really dragging there feet there and we want to get things movin

stixswifey
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Me and my fiancee recently got engaged, id like to get married as soon as possible..his minimum is in may but he got denied parole and will see them again in november. His max date is in 2015. Anyone know if graterford would allow this? Pm me with any info please

kelly83
04-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Need help please... I would like to know how to go about marrying my soon to be husband. He is an inmate in Lewisburg Pa.. anyone with any info please reply Thanks

mizzgypsy
07-01-2012, 11:25 AM
This has been taken straight from the PA DOC website. Just for everyone's sake. I hope that it will answer a few of these questions for you. I wish you all good luck in this process, I will be going through it all soon enough :D.

1. The counselor will interview and counsel with both parties so that both parties fully understand the inmate’s present custody status and the anticipated date of eligibility for prerelease, parole, or other release status. If prerelease or parole status appears likely in the near future, the inmate may be counseled as to the advisability of deferring the marriage until such status is obtained.

2. Final plans will be developed by the inmate’s counselor and submitted to the Facility Manager/designee for approval of the date, time, and place of the ceremony.

3. A Facility Chaplain may perform the ceremony. If the Facility Chaplain will not perform the marriage ceremony, the cost of a magistrate or an outside person designated as a representative of an authorized faith group and qualified to solemnize marriages shall be incurred by the inmate.

4. The bride will be permitted to carry a simple two flower array during the ceremony.

Only inmate photographers assigned to the Visiting Room may take a photograph, in accordance with facility procedure regarding inmate photographs. The cost for the photograph will be borne by the inmate/spouse.

5. The inmate and his/her prospective spouse will be permitted to have two visitors each present at the ceremony. The visits must be selected from the inmate’s approved visiting list.

6. Some courts may require a personal appearance by the inmate to apply for a marriage license. The inmate is responsible for notifying the court that the Department will not provide transportation to secure the marriage license for security reasons, but alternatives are available.

Available alternatives are as follows:
a. videoconferencing may be considered, providing the facility and the court have the technology, and the use of a videoconference is approved by the court. Applications for marriage using a videoconference will be in accordance with
Department policy 1.1.10, “Videoconferencing;”

and

b. a request that the court permit someone from the Prothonotary’s office to conduct the interview at the facility.

7. The inmate is responsible for the cost of the license.
The cost for the photograph will be borne by the inmate/spouse.
The cost of a magistrate or an outside person designated as a representative of an authorized faith group and qualified to solemnize marriages shall be incurred by the inmate.

8. The inmate will ear state issued clothing for the ceremony.

9. The wedding ban(s) must be present for inspection and approval upon arrival at the facility. The band(s) will consist of a simple metal band without a stone of any kind.

I hope this helps to answer some questions that many may have. I have pretty much studied this document over and over, if you'd like to see the full document yourself, you may PM me at any time, and I can send you a link to the website that I got it from. Best of luck to each and everyone of you!!!!
hi, i would like to see the full document, i am trying to get married in sci rockview prison in pa, thanks!

Beezir
08-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Hello ladies. My fiancé and I are getting married when he gets upstate. However, allegheny county jail does allow marriages. You must have an attorney to get married. He charges 400.00 and does all the work for you. There are no visitors allowed and contact is only in the form of a kiss after the vows. Inmate is shackled the entire time and the jail does not have to allow him to wear his ring after the wedding. Hope that helps

s.daymk
09-06-2012, 08:24 AM
I am super excited. Me and my fiance filed a petition for us to get our marriage license using the counties video conferencing equipment. We just got word back that we were granted the approval and we go on September 28th to get our marriage license and after that we speak with the prison to decide on a date within 60 days of the 28th. I can't wait. The process for us started in March and we have been waiting very patiently and the patience has paid off. I will be marrying my best friend before this year is over.

s.daymk
09-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Yayyyyy I went today for our video conference for our marriage license. My appt was at 9:45am. My friend and I drove up and got there around 9:30. The people there were very nice in telling us where we needed to go. When we got to the room, the man who took L's information was very nice and funny. He made us laugh and that made the process go so smoothly. L was soooo nervous and was stuttering when he was asking him information. We were all in the room laughing. It only took about ten minutes. Then after we left the court house we went to the Registrar of Wills to fill out my portion of the marriage license application. That took about another ten minutes and that was it. Afterwards me and my friend ended up going over to the prison for a unexpected visit. She was able to see her husband and I was able to see L. Hardly anyone was there so we had a really great time. It was a fabulous day today. Yayyyy

xcluusivee
10-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Has anybody here married at Allenwood Medium? I read they don't allow marriages anymore and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon and we want to be married asap :(

s.daymk
12-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I am so excited finally. I had been having some problems for a while trying to get things going. We got our marriage license in September and originally had a date for November 28th to be married. That didn't work with the prison so at the last minute we had to reschedule. Well, we now have our approval date and I am 9 days away. We are to marry on December 14th. I am finally able to relax while getting ready these last couple of days before I get to marry my best friend. I was stressed before but now that our date is approved, I feel like I can breathe lol

s.daymk
12-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I know its late, but I have been on serveral clouds these past coul,e of days. Me and my husband married this past Friday and it went great. We had a few snags in the beginning of the day but they were ironed out really quick and fast and our ceremony was beautiful. Rev. Debbie was great and helped to make our wedding day very special for us. We could not be any happier with the way that it all turned out. I am happy that we did it. Now I just have to fight to go through the process of changing my last name lol.

MizFormaldehyde
02-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Your link is broken.

Ladies, I have the newer one here.

www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/916575/821_inmate_marriages_pdf

MizFormaldehyde
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Does anybody have experience with CFCF? Seriously planning for May 18th if my love isn't out by then.

missdarkvamp
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
my fiance is in sci-albion and we want to get married...if anyone has got married there i would appreciate some information...thank you

STEPH -N-FRANK 4~life

i have a few friends that are in there and i write them quite a bit i can find out everything about the prison weddings there if you would like.

s.daymk
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM
CFCF does not allow weddings. They won't let you do things like that until they are sent to their home prisons.

Anointed42
03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
I need help myself i was just told that i have to find someone to marry us !!!! so if anyone knows please let me know asap.

Weddings on wheels reverand debbie

MizFormaldehyde
04-01-2013, 04:57 PM
CFCF does not allow weddings. They won't let you do things like that until they are sent to their home prisons. Ok. I wasn't sure, hence why I asked. I've read before you can get married in county jail, but, I guess it varies county-to-county, state-to-state.

He's being sent to Chester County Prison for VOP around April 4 for up to a year. I'm assuming you can't there, either?

Anointed42
04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
My fiance, is at sci Dallas and we are about to get married up there, I had to firstborn a out minister to initiate the wedding once I did that he put a petition in to get a marriage teleconference so that we can get our marriage licience they approved his petition it is scheduled for April 12, 2013, I have to bring my bithcerti and his my pa drivers licenced or state id and fifty dollars to pay for the marriage licience after that we have sixty days from that date to set up the wedding with the prison and a sit down with his counselor and then we just wait for our wedding to come up he can have a wedding band no diamonds or stones of any sort. You can contact email removed per PTO policy request minister Debbie