View Full Version : Questions about RJ Donovan, San Diego - Medical, Reception, etc.

tracey83
01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Hi... This is my first post... My ex-fiance/best friend just got sent from George Bailey over to Donovan with 3 years with half. I'm SERIOUSLY worried about his health, as he's a Type 1 brittle diabetic, which means he is incredibly sensitive to sugar, and get low blood sugar attack all the time from them giving him too much insulin (at least it happened that way in county @ Bailey). So, I 'm wondering if anyone has a man in Donovan who's diabetic and how well they're taking care of him?
Also, I went to get some money on his books using JPay and it said his CDC # was invalid... he's been there since Tuesday. Has it just not been long enough?
And one more thing... does anyone know how long it's taking to get approved for visits at Donovan right now?

PTO-110524
01-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Do you have a CDC# for him or just his booking number from County? It usually takes about 5 days before you can call the Inmate Locator in Sacramento to get a CDC#.

You can call them Monday - Friday at 916.445.6713. You will need his full name and birthdate and they will give you his CDC#. Then you can use JPay for him. You can also then call RJD and ask for Records and get his housing so you can write him.

Hope this helps and I hope they treat him well.

kima
01-31-2008, 06:51 PM
I hope someone can help you with your questions. Try not to stress out over it too much, and keep coming to this site for support. Does your friend have an involved parent, or are you his best contact for his medical needs? He should get a Release of Medical Records signed designating a parent (or you) to have access to what's happening with his medical situation. He can request the form from the medical office there, and he will need to have it notarized (which costs between $5 and $10). Otherwise, they will not release any medical info about him, as it falls under the Medical Privacy Act. He can request to release just his medical records or his med recs and his mental health recs. Either way, he should have someone on the outside who can make phone calls about him and be able to get some answers. Also, he should have a parent (or you) listed as his emergency contact (it's different than the medical release form).
I don't send my husband money because they take out 55% for restitution. I hope that everything you send, he'll get to keep. Good luck!

saab story
01-31-2008, 07:07 PM
I applied for visitation in November and got approved last week. He needs to be there for about a week before you can send Jpay. They don't take restitution when they're in reception. Hope this helps.

tracey83
01-31-2008, 07:07 PM
I already got his CDC # and all his housing info yesterday and have already sent him stamps, paper, and envelopes. The other thing besides JPay (cyber something) had him on there but wouldn't take my credit card. I got a little frustrated. I'm just gonna send a money order.

And THANK YOU for this medical release info. His family hardly talks to him they're pretty brutal to him, so I know he'd want me to be that person for him. Plus, I know his diabetes better than he does sometimes!

Anyone know about how long it "should" take for him to get through reception - it's his first offense - non-violent crime. He got 3 years and is definitely getting 50% time.

saab story
01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
It "should" take 30 days to get through reception, but............don't count on it.

kima
01-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Reception can take up to three months (I've even read posts here that say four months), but it could be as soon as a month. IHe can't make calls while he's in reception, so be sure to write to him ASAP with the med release info, and ER contact request.
By the way, if he can go to a fire camp he'd only have to serve 35% time. I'm not sure because of his medical condition if he'd qualify, though.

1roughblondie
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
tO GET APPROVED AT DONOVAN IT TAKES ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF AND THAT IS IF EVERYTHING ON YOUR QUESTIONNARE CHECKS OUT ALRIGHT.

1roughblondie
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
If he takes medication he might be in C and I have heard that they are pretty good there with medications, I am sure they classiffied him at Bailey and that same classification will follow him over to donovan. Good luck and best wishes

tracey83
02-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Wow - thanks everyone SO much. I really appreciate it. I got all his property from County on Wednesday, and I was going through all his stuff. He originally got arrested in Portland, Oregon (he'd moved up there to get away after we broke up) and in the county jail up there his blood sugars were totally out of control... Anything over 200 is dangerous and anything below 90 is dangerous. He always used to be on the low end, but in jail up in Oregon his blood sugar levels were ALWAYS above 300. He could easily go into diabetic shock. One of the times they checked his sugar over there it was at 385. That is REALLY bad and I think it's because the jail food is so starchy and full of carbs. He's already on the waiting list for a kidney transplant. They told him 4 years ago that he'd need a transplant in 5 to 8 years. I just don't want anything bad to happen to him in there, he's so sweet, and a genuinely good person, he doesn't deserve to be treated poorly by medical staff and I know how bad CA prisons can be when it comes to medical care.
I know I'm rambling, but I just worry about him. Thanks again, everyone who responded, you guys have given me some really valuable information and some really good ideas so I can be proactive when it comes to his care.
Thanks!

kima
02-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Keep checking in at the PTO site, you'll find a lot of helpful info and caring people. God really blessed this guy when He put you in his life. Stay on top of things, but don't gt too stressed over the things you can't control. Just take care of what you can. If someone at the prison knows that an inmate has someone calling and checking, he has a better chance of getting treatment. Another member on this site told me that every time you call the Med Dept at the prison, someone has to do a cell check (not sure that they do, but she said her son told her to stop calling because they were driving him nuts with all the cell checks, lol!) Hang in there and best wishes.

tracey83
02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Well - all his info was on Jpay today, so I FINALLY got him some money. I know his own mother and the rest of his family aren't doing much from what he's telling me. I also got a letter out asking his to do all the medical records release and emergency contact stuff... He probably already listed me as the emergency contact, because I'm the only person he has locally. His family is all in Oregon.

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I'll keep you updated! Right now I'm just waiting on my first letter from him. Hopefully Monday. It only takes one day for the Post Office to deliver from Donovan to me because I'm in SD County. It just looks like it's taking Donovan FOREVER to get the letter in the mail!

mike5335
02-04-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm glad that you've made so much progress. That is great!

I write to an inmate at RJD and have for the past 6 years or so. I visit when I can. Anyway, one thing that you can count on, if my experience applies, is that sometimes the mail will be REALLY slow. Rarely will it be fast but sometimes the delays are only a few days. Sometimes, it is more like a couple weeks.

My experience writing to a few other prisons (CMC, Vacaville, Avenal, DVI) is that they all have delays but I'd put Donovan on the top of the list for "slow". It is a trial of patience for me since I know there is absolutely nothing that I can do about it.

tracey83
02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, I finally got my first letter from him... And it actually got here really fast. He wrote it on 1/30/08, so last Wednesday. It only took 5 mail days to get here, which was kinda nice. Sounds like he's doing okay, I can't believe how upbeat he and he just got to prison! He's just grateful to be clean & sober more than anythings else at this point...
I also got the visiting form from him today and got it back in the mail today, so now the real waiting begins... waiting to get approved to visit, waiting for him to get mainlined, waiting for a release date...