View Full Version : Is It Possible To Quit "meth"?

danchic
01-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Is it possible to quite this evil drug?? My husband has been on meth for about 4 years. He started using when he was 40 years old... Before then we had a good life. We've been together for about 24 years have two sons a decent life then he started using METH!!! Everything changed, we've been seperated for about 4 years now. He's been in and out of jail. He never had a record in 40 years but now he has a long one becuase of that drug. He's been out of jail for about 9 months and still using ( I suspect) becuase he doesn't work does'nt bother with me and our sons who are now adults 18 and 21. When he got out of Prison I took him back and it was good for a minute but he wouldn't go find a job and I wasn't going to support him so I finally threw him out.. I really think he wants to be clean but for some reason he just can't give it up. I don't know for sure he's using but my gut tells me he is becuase he dosn't come around and I know if he was clean he would be here trying to get back with his family. I get so frustrated with him parents becuase I feel they enable him to use. They provide him room and board and a car and $$! Why should he work? Why should he give up the drug?? They don't make him have any responsibility.. It really pisses me off!!

What could he be thinking??? How can he live like that?? I just don't get it?? How could he go from good father and husband to living with his mom, not working, being without his family after 28 years of being together?? We've been together since we were kids 16 and 14,. how could he let that go???

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!!!! DO YOU THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO GIVE UP "METH".....

Thank you for any input and advise!!!!

redroses
01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I never used meth myself but I work around people with Chemical Dependence issues and yes it is possible to quit but it is very hard . If he is willing to quit , he will quit but it has to be his choice . Have you ever ask him if he was willing go for longterm treatment ? I mean it's hard to see someone loss a grib of life after he had it all and it hurts really bad for the loved ones who knew him before and now of their addiction .

etaylor20
01-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Danchic, my heart goes out to you! meth is evil. They used to call Cocaine the devils candy... that is until meth came about. i am an addict that has been clean for 2 years! my uncle just got out of federal prison and i currently have other family members who are still in federal prison--- all because of METH!!!!! It is very hard to understand and I never did until I became an addict! It is so hard to explain what it does. But I am going to be honest! This is NOT YOUR HUSBAND!!!!! Please dont think that it is. All you have now is a man who has a serious issue and needs help. However, until he wants to quit, truly quit - no rehab or family member will help him! I tried to stop using several times only to go back at it harder than before! I overdosed and almost died! But I still did not stop using! One day I woke up and it hit me like a ton of bricks! I DO NOT WANT THIS LIFE ANYMORE!!!!! I quit cold turkey! It was the hardest things I have ever done. I do not mean to be graphic but this is what happened to me when I was "drying out". I would wake up with cold sweats! I hurt so bad I could hardly move and when i did move I would throw up. Mainly I just slept. I would wake up and beg my grandmother to please just give me some money. I needed it! I told her that I hated her for not helping me and if she really loved me then she would let me have one more hit.(i am crying writing this because it makes me realize I was a monster) i told her I would even tell her where to go get it because I hurt too bad to get up! I couldnt even make it to the bathroom to poop. I would throw up on myself and use the bathroom on myself because I was took weak from the drugs. I was gone there for awhile. I hated myself and felt worthless. I was paranoid because of the drugs and didnt sleep for days. Once I went a whole week without sleep! I was hooked on oxcycontin,cocaine, and meth. Tke the worst pain you have ever felt and multiply that by like 50. My toes and hair even hurt! My mind was going in a million different directions! All I could think about was I gotta have it. I need it or I am going to die! I could taste it in my mouth. I found one of my old needles nad shot up with lemon juice just to feel the burn. but after awhile I got better. I had to make up my mind! During this time I lost all of my family. I lost 3 beautiful children that needed me and my mother and father and sister and my nephew. I havent seen them in 2 years. yes I have been clean but i did so much damage to all of them they no longer want me! And it hurts! It hurts worse than coming off of the drugs. i PRAY that he makes the choice to clean up before it is too late! i was lucky that I lived and I will spend the rest of my life trying to mend things with my family! All I have now is my grandmother and I am so thankful for that! Here is a poem that hopefully wil give you some insight on what meth is and does! i cry everytime i read this because this is so true! People should realize this is no game and I pray for all addicts because I was there and i lived it! anyways, i could go on about this for days. let me know if this helps you! here is the poem;

Hello, My Friend
I destroy homes. I tear families apart.
I take children and that’s just a start.
I’m more valued than diamonds, more precious than gold.
The sorrow I bring is a sight to behold.
If you need me, remember, I’m easily found.
I live all around you, in school and in town.
I live with the rich, I live with the poor.
I live just down the street, and maybe next door.
I’m made in a lab, but not one like you think.
I can be made under the kitchen sink, or in your
Child’s closet, even out in the woods.
If this scares you to death, it certainly should.
I have many names, but there’s one you’ll know best.
I’m sure you’ve heard of me. My name’s Crystal Meth.
My power is awesome. Try me. You’ll see.
But if you do, you may never break free.
Just try me once, I might let you go.
Try me twice and I’ll own your soul.
When I possess you, you’ll steal and you’ll lie.
You’ll do what you have to, just to get high.
The crimes you’ll commit for my narcotic charms
Will be worth the pleasure you’ll feel in my arms.
You’ll lie to your mother, you’ll steal from your dad.
When you see their tear, you must not feel sad.
Just forget your morals, and how you were raised.
I’ll be your conscience. I’ll teach you my ways.
I take kids from parents. I take parents from kids.
I turn people from God. I separate friends.
I’ll take everything from you, even your good looks and
Pride. I’ll be with you always, right by your side.
You’ll give up everything. Your family, your home.
Your money, your friends, you’ll be all alone.
I’ll take and I’ll take till you’ve no more to give.
When I finish with you, you’ll be lucky to live.
If you try me, be warned. THIS IS NOT A GAME.
If I’m given the chance, I’ll drive you insane.
I’ll ravage your body. I’ll control your mind.
I’ll own you completely. Your soul will be MINE.
The nightmares I’ll five you when you’re lying in bed,
And the voices you hear from inside your head.
The shakes, the sweats, and the visions you’ll see.
I want you to know, these are your gifts from me.
By then it’s too late, and you’ll know in your heart,
That you are now mine, and we shall not part.
You’ll regret that you tried me. They always do.
But you came to me. Not I to you.
You knew this would happen. How many times were you told?
But you challenged my power. You chose to be bold.
You could have said “no” and just walked away.
If you could live over, now what would you say?
My power is awesome, as I told you before.
I can take your mother and turn her into a whore.
I’ll be your master, you’ll do as I say,
Even when I tell you to go to your grave.
Now that you’ve met me, what will you do?
Will you try me or not? It’s all up to you.
I can show you more misery than words can tell.
Come, take my hand. Let me lead you to hell

etaylor20
01-21-2008, 08:18 AM
I also have heard this poem called the marriage creed that you sign when you take meth! Because it will be with you ntil DEATH DO YOU PART!!!! It hurts me because I was all of these things. to read this it literally makes me sick to my stomach! Thank GOD that he loves me and I am clean!

carebear72
01-21-2008, 08:20 AM
I agree with etaylor 100%!! My hubby is in Federal prison for this very same drug. He took our family on a whirwind adventure! He made, he used it, and he couldn't leave it alone for all the money in the world! Im not innocent: I did it to keep him home and I lost my children for about 5 months b/c of it! I did it for about 3mo, he had done it secretly for years before I knew about it. It wasn't hard for me to kick it, I wanted my kids back, that was my bottoming out. For him he was caught 4 times in a 6mo period for maintaining labs. He hit bottom but it didn't matter, he kept using. No this is not ur husband it is the drug controlling him but also he wont quit till HE wants to. I wont lie I still have urges, I think u always will but it's how u control those urges. I believe if u have an addictive personality that doesnt help any. It's hard to get back that trust already ruined also. I had to start a new life in a new city because of what he did. I'll be damned if he's gonna ruin MY fmaily and kids again. It's a hard and long road to travel, but do what's best for u and ur boys. Hopefully he'll hit bottom soon and realize all the damage he's doing.

carebear72
01-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I seen this poem before and sent it to mu hubby in FCI and he said that was him 100% what an idiot he was. It's to bad they realize it after the fact BUT at least they do. Im glad he went to prison considering the alternative of being 6ft under the way he was going it was only a matter of time

LeBeau
01-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes, it is possible to walk away from meth- not easy, but possible.
I did it.
It took a lot of effort, involved a lot of swallowing pride to ask for help and several months of intense work... the first few weeks, I did nothing but eat, sleep and go to meetings.... to this day, 15+ years later, I still have to avoid risky situations, refuse certain invitations and, in general, do all I can to avoid temptation.

Here's the thing, though, he'll have to want to do it- he'll have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.
You can't do it for him... sorry 'bout that part.

tattoodiva
01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I have been sober for 3 and a half years. I am an alcoholic and I also used meth and crack. Now that I had my child my life has totally changed and I do not believe I will ever go back to that life. I do have to continually work to make that happen though. I went through a treatment program, have worked the twelve steps and work every day to remain connected spiritually. It is not easy but I would never want that life back!

Patty
01-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Ahhh meth a powerful mistress indeed. Back in the day they used to call me "SpeedQueen". Yeah it is ABSOLUTELY possible to quit, I'm living proof. It wasn't easy though and I had to fight my own demons before, during and after. Best of luck to you and yours.

Patty

YourFriendlyDA
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Its possible to do anything that you put your mind to. There are hospitals that specialize in detox - they make it less painful. Personally, I'm against them. If you suffer through the detox its much less likely that you will go back.

If he REALLY wants to quit then he can reach out to the treatment programs out there. There is help...

LeBeau
01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
I know white knuckling it was the only way I was getting out from under it.
For some, I hear the "softer" option is good, but it would not have worked for me.

danchic
01-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for your prayers. I just don't understand "Addiction" becuase i've never been addicted before. Only to him I guess! I just don't understand how he can loose everything and not quite his drug to get us back. I feel if he loved me enought he would quite. I guess I was wrong.

etaylor20 - Thank you for the poem. I've read it before and it is just terrible what that drug does to people. All I can do for my husband is Pray and leave it up to God! It's very difficult becuase I've loved him for so long. I just hope when he's ready to give it up it's not to late. I can't put my life on hold for him anymore!

LeBeau
01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
I just don't understand "Addiction" becuase i've never been addicted before.

And my fondest wish for you is that you never will totally understand- It's not something I'd want anyone to know.

andrea_wilson1
01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
yes it is possible to quit meth i used for 6 years and now ive been clean for a year and 3 months alot of people fake it to make it you just have to want to quit deep down and it can happen:)

solonely27203
01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
My beau is in for 6 years because of meth. He started selling just a little and then he started testing it and then he was trapped. I lived that life with him and it was the hardest thing that I have ever done. He quit his job because that took his time away from getting high. Because he quit his job he started trafficking, thats what got him 6 years. Before he was locked up, he was the meanest person I had ever met. He was physically abusive. I mean he would literally try to tear my head off. Maybe because he didnt have a hit right at that moment or maybe because he just felt like it. He kept a journal in his first couple of years and he has given that to me. The first few months were detox months. He described the pain as hell on earth and the mental pain was almost unbearable. He talked of wanting to take his own life because he couldnt take it. He has finally gotten over that. Prison itself did not get him off of the drugs. He said it was his family support and the need to get off of them. He said that there are so many drugs in prison that if he had really wanted something (maybe not meth) he could get it. He will be home in 12 days and has made a commitment to himself and his family that it is over.

After he was initially locked up, I turned to cocaine. I am an addict but have been clean for 3 years now. It was the best thing in the world to have a line or two several times a day. Or so I thought. After being like this for about a year, my life had almost fallen apart. The breaking point for me was me losing all of my family and social services threatening to take away my son. He was all that I had and I was determined not to let them do that. At first it was very hard to quit, even for my son but after 2 drug tests that came back positive and they came to my house to take him away, I said no more. I passed a drug test right there on the spot and started going to outpatient treatment. I do not believe in inpatient facilities. As DA said, they are an easy way out. As an addict, I will never forget the struggles that I went through and do not ever want to do it again. I dropped all those 'friends' like a bad habit. I avoided places that I was vulnerable at. You have to turn your back on your world, but the world that you know is the addiction world. Your husband needs lots of support, but like so many have said, there is no amount of support that will make him change unless he wants too. He has to be willing to be a lonely person, no friends, no going to bars, etc. Stand your ground with him. If he sees weakness in you then he may think that he can be weak one more time and then he is in that downward spiral again.

I wish you and your family the best of luck. Reach out to your community. It is embarrassing at first because you admit that someone you love is an addict but there is help out there to help you deal with it as well.

JLBaby
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Dear Friend,
If you could only understand the pain i feel for you. Is it possible yes.... I believe it is. But the only way to do it is the person with the problem has to want it. Really want it. I am sorry to say that i am only 21 yrs old was addicted for 3 years of my life and the only thing that helped snap me out of it was a very close friend of mine died from it. But my case is not as severe as my fiances. I have known him for 5 yrs and this is the second time that i am left out here waiting for him to get out of prison because of the damn drug. I hate to say this but alot of being able to get over it is how the user uses it. If he does not use needles he has a much better chance of getting off of it. But it takes alot. I am talking moving away from anyone he knows who does it and basically living under a rock until you have the strength to say no if a situation was to ever arise. My fiance uses needles and has been addicted for 15 yrs or more and the person to blame is his own father. Who put a needle in his arm when he was 13 yrs old. That alone should be a crime. And it makes me sick to think that some of our loved ones are in jail for stuff that they never made the choice to do. Your loved one can do it but it takes us to have a lot of strength and understanding even if we don't understand it at all. The thing to remember is that even though being high is no excuse..... know that if they weren't things would be different and some of their actions would never be done. The hardest part is having to start all over. I have known too many people who couldn't pull themselves out of it b/c as many of us know that it is hard out here. But stay strong and being willing to help him, just don't enable him. If that even makes any sense.

prisonpostcards
01-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Dear Friend, I was not hooked on Meth, I used to be a Herion user. It neither matters how u use a drug, IV, sniff, eat, or smoke. If, you are addicted, you are addicted, PERIOD. I have heard many people say, OH, well I only sniff it, like that makes some difference. When you are addicted, u are addicted to the drug, and the way u use it. Some people love to put things up there noses, others in their mouths, others love to inhale, and finally others just love needles. Everyone can quit. It is never impossible. First, the person has to decide that they are destroying their life and the lives of loved ones. They have to step back and see that they are not living, they are dying and time is zipping by. They have to want to quit for themselves first, and other reasons as well that follow. They not only have to want to quit, but have to make a committment to quit. They need support and a plan. They might have to go through many different types of detoxes, rehabs, and counseling sessions before they find out what will help them. He needs education, which they will give him. Getting clean is a wonderful, yet scary experience. It was for me. I had to get rid of certain friends, delete connections numbers, and change my habbits. Change, is scary and uncomfortable for a lot of us. He will need support and reminders to be patient. Most of us addicts want to be clean tommorrow, and have our lives (the ones we had before our addictions and problems) back next week. Things seem chaotic when you are first getting clean. Someone who has never used can not understand this, but that is what some of us experience. We have bills that we now realize, we have a record which effects employment, we have destroyed relationships and that hurts us, and we have wasted a lot of time which we can not get back. Some of us are very angery at ourselves and the government. We might blame others. This is not healthy. This is where the committment comes in. Positive reinforcement to ones self helps out greatly. I am changing. I will change. I love life. I love my family. No one is perfect, I made a mistake, I will make an effort to repair what I can, mend what I can mend, forgive myself, and others.....ect. Meth. has become a very popular drug. There is a lot of info. on it on line. There are a lot of places to get help. Like everyone said, he has to want to do it. He has to take control of his life back from this drug. He was only a puppet to this drug. He has to realize that. He has to want a life outside of jail or a coffin more than he wants a hit. He has to make a committment to his goals, he has to plan and set up a strategy. Wanting something does not mean you will get it or get there. All of us who are clean had to work at it, struggle to achieve it, and now continue to maintian it. In this world there are always people who do not want you to reach your goals, beware of them and do not let them into your life. There are also a lot of people, especially here on this site, who want to succeed, who have succeeded, and want to help you to do the same. Keep these people around and handy. If you need a friend, some of us are just an email or phone call away. Never forget that. I think I speak for the majority of the people on this site. I do not want to offend anyone, as this is just my opinion. You are not alone in your situation, I am sure of that. Good luck. Stay strong. I hope you get more advice and stories to help you. Thank everyone for sharing, and 2 paws up for all you sober people. LOL Meow (I am a cat lover, as the 2 paws up thing) prisonpostcards

danchic
01-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Thank you Prisonpostcard, I needed that. I am so hurt, miserable and just dont know what to do with myself. I love my husband but I hate what he has done to our family. I am so resentful towards him and him to me. He blames me for going to jail and for his life being turned upside down as he says. How can we ever get past this???? I don't know how to let him go! I want him to change but he wont. I cut him out of my life and he doesn't seem to care!!! How can he not care??? I am so hurt but I love him.. Mixed feeling are so confusing. WHAT DO I DO?? WHAT IS BEST FOR ME AND HIM... Will he ever quite and realize what he has done to our life??? He is a very weak person. He has a hard time dealing with problems and life. He blames me for everything and tells me I need to change. What do I need to change?? I am not the one using drugs and not working and agnoring all lifes responsibilities. He is!! and he tells me I need to change!!! Change what??? Stop being responsible and stop caring if he wants to do drugs? He tells me that I am his wife and I should allow him to be his own man and do what he wants! I can't do that. I have morals and values and he does not seem to. We have two sons that are now adults and have to deal with their father being a "LOOSER" as they say. That is just terrible. How do I deal with all this????

Any advise that will help me cope and stop caring so much for him and more for me will be greatly appriceated!!

Thank you all for you advise, support and well wishes! I appricate it more than you know!!

sanders01
01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Thank you Prisonpostcard, I needed that. I am so hurt, miserable and just dont know what to do with myself. I love my husband but I hate what he has done to our family. I am so resentful towards him and him to me. He blames me for going to jail and for his life being turned upside down as he says. How can we ever get past this???? I don't know how to let him go! I want him to change but he wont. I cut him out of my life and he doesn't seem to care!!! How can he not care??? I am so hurt but I love him.. Mixed feeling are so confusing. WHAT DO I DO?? WHAT IS BEST FOR ME AND HIM... Will he ever quite and realize what he has done to our life??? He is a very weak person. He has a hard time dealing with problems and life. He blames me for everything and tells me I need to change. What do I need to change?? I am not the one using drugs and not working and agnoring all lifes responsibilities. He is!! and he tells me I need to change!!! Change what??? Stop being responsible and stop caring if he wants to do drugs? He tells me that I am his wife and I should allow him to be his own man and do what he wants! I can't do that. I have morals and values and he does not seem to. We have two sons that are now adults and have to deal with their father being a "LOOSER" as they say. That is just terrible. How do I deal with all this????

Any advise that will help me cope and stop caring so much for him and more for me will be greatly appriceated!!

Thank you all for you advise, support and well wishes! I appricate it more than you know!!

I sent you a private message, like I said just hold on GOD is on the way!

solonely27203
01-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Do not allow him to belittle you. This will only make you more vulnerable to him and his addiction. You have to be strong. I don't want to sound discouraging but it seems at this point he doesnt want to make a change. Is there anytime that you are able to talk to him that he is not high? I don't know how things work in GA but here in NC, if someone is putting their lives at risk, whether it be drugs, attmepted suicide, etc. then you can get an involuntary commitment. This has to be done at the magistrates office. This would enable him to get into a treatment facility. I know I said in my last post that I don't really like them but I dont know of any other way right now for you. I really feel from your posts that he is a danger to himslef or others. Please dont take his comments personal. This is the 'monkey on his back' talking. This is not him, his addiction has taken control over his life. I have been there and I was so horrible to people, especially people who tried to help me. LIke I said, reach out to your community. Start with a local mental health agency, one who specializes in drug abuse and addiction and get advice from there. I wish you all the luck. I will continue to pray for you and your family. You pray too. I believe in the power of prayer. Please keep us updated.

Mojoman427
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
It is possibile to quit using meth, although, it is very difficult. I speak from first-hand experience. A drug counselor told me that meth changes peoples life's more than ay other drug. It is hard to understand meth unless you know it too well. I think the most difficult aspect of quitting meth is the exact nature of the drug. It causes the release of dopamine which is the "feel good" chemical in our brains. It even affects the receptors to this reaction. So as much as I hate to admit this, meth is very fun and satisfying. It makes you happy and content. The problem is that it lies to you. It only emulates those feelings and all the while your life is falling apart around you and you have "rose colored glasses" on and are to spun to realize it.

He will need to want quit to be successful. This usually happens when ones life falls apart so much that they can no longer continue to do meth (such as prison/jail time).

My son being born is what it took for me. My wife quit while she was pregnant and then went right back to it a month after he was born. She is in prison now...

danchic
01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Mojoman427- Sorry to hear that your wife is in prison. That must be terrible for you! I've very happy to hear that you were able to quit meth you sound like a strong man to have been able to do so. My husband is a week minded person. He has a hard time coping with lifes problems. He turns to drugs to make himself feel like a man. And since you say the feeling of meth is very satisfying I doubt that he will give it up. He has been locked up in jail and prison. First time when he was 40 yrs old. for 8 months then came out and used again. Then went to prison for 4 months came out and used again then went to Prison for another 3 months and came out and used again... He just wont give it up. Of course he denies that he is on it but I think he is. I just have to let him go to make his own choices. It's just to bad that the drug is more important to him than our marriage and our sons and our life together.... thanks for posting and sharing your experience... It helps to hear other "meth" stories...

sadgirl38
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I am sorry for what you are going through! It is hard to quit! I used meth for 3 years and I decided one day I did not want to hurt my family or myself, and meth is a very expensive habit. Your husband could quit but it's all up to him. Quiting meth is a full time job. To quit he would have to cut off his dealer, stay away from his friends that do it. He will have to go through the withdraws. He could do it! It's not impossible! That's good that you took a stand and you seperated from him. I know it makes you upset but as much as it hurts he's a grown man he needs to stop on his own. You need to continue to focus on your kids and yourself like you've been doing and don't let him bring your kids and you down to his misery! I'm sure you know this but when people do meth you can't believe anything that comes out of there mouth becuase it's the drugs talking! Good Luck to you!

sparkysgirl1996
01-28-2008, 04:47 PM
You Can Get `off Meth I Was A Addicit And I Got Off It I Stop And Went Cold Turkey The Day I Found Out I Was Pregant And Never Went Back To It Its Been 8 Yrs And I Been Free Of It Thank-god I Had The Will Power To I Dont Associate With None Of My Old Friends Cause They All Still Do It Or Is Locked Up I Have The Tracks On My Arms Still To Prove It And I Hate Them Know..my Husband Is In Prison Cause Of Drugs If I Knew Then What I Knew Know I Never Would Of Used It Makes You Be Someone Or Something Else U Aint U While Using Im 42 Now And I Was 35 When I Quit Aftr Many Yrs Of Using Yes I Regreat Using And Wished I Never Did...but Again Ya U Can Quit Using If U Want But U Have To Wanna Quit....

HisWifey7707
02-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes. It is possible to quit meth. But, you have to be ready and willing to quit. Until then, there's really no use in trying. I was addicted to meth for about 5 years and have been clean for 2 years on Feb. 15!!! Until I was finally ready to quit, there was no use in trying. It is so addictive. But, it IS possible. Best of luck to you and your family.

kim48
02-01-2008, 03:02 PM
My daughter quit two years ago after being arrested in a drug raid. She received probation. The arrest shocked her out of her habit. She went to all the mental health/addiction meetings, to counseling, and has been working since then. She did her community service, and is almost finished. You can quit, if you really have the determination to do so. She has two sons, and loved them enough to straighten up.

angel12569
02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
just want to congratulate everyone who is continuing to stay clean. Keep it up. I am not the addict and will never understand it, but my husband is the (hopefully) recovering addict. Although he did not do meth, crack cocaine was his choice, and I know its a demon he has to deal with everyday of his life. Right now he is doing time in prison for a crime associated with his use. ITs tough and hard to go through this, knowing that unfortunantely we can never get back all the time we lose, and everyone pays because of drugs. Everyone suffers especially if any children are involved.

eddiesgirl1
02-01-2008, 04:33 PM
oh yeah its possible living proof right here.

Drucifer
02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I have been clean for 11 months. My friend is locked up for five years. This stuff is the REAL deal as in REAL BAD! I will tell you from my own experience. YES...YOU CAN QUIT. It's not easy by any means. Meth is the strongest central nervous system stimulant known to man. Even that description doesnt begin to describe the high. It is UNREAL. To quit, simply stop, stop associating with peeps doing it and stay away from old haunts. PLEASE UNDERSTAND...IT IS NOT AN EASY BREAK. I relapsed 3 times before finally calling it QUITS.

lilithinwaiting
02-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh, yes, it is possible to quit. Nothing is impossible.

BuckaroosAngel
02-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Anything is possible aslong as YOU are wanting it and set your mind to it..
i been clean for 3 1/2 yrs from meth and crack, its aint no fun ride telling ya that but if you want the help you can get the help if you want to stay clean you'll stay clean....

You MUST WANT TO be clean!! and keep the soberity b4 you will ever get that monkey off your back!!

jayton
02-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes, you can quit.

kaya55
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
What etaylor said was true...nothing will help him until he wants to help himself. I was addicted to meth for 2 years, when my 5 year coke addiction turned to something much more powerful. I have been clean now for almost a year. I did relapse a couple of times, but those were the worst using times ever. It really made me realize that I was done with that lifestyle. Either way, it is a matter of how badly he wants to quit. The only thing I beieve that you can do for him, is to be there for him when he does want to quit, when he is going through the struggles of finding a new job and regaining his responsibilities. He will face a lot of rejection and dissapointment that will make him want to relapse. If you are there to support him and remind him of the life that he can have without the drug, that will be the best that you can do for him...
Good luck to you and especially to him. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to overcome this horribly powerful drug. You may find the support you need in the rooms of NA, and will find more people who have been down that same path, and have overcome it.
It IS possible!!! My prayers are with you...

danchic
02-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I need some more advise: some of you know my story regarding my husband and what his drug use has done to our family. We've been together for 27 years and have two sons 21 and 18. We were a normal family until he started using METH... Since then he's been in and out of jail a few times and even went to prison. He had no criminal record up until he was 40 years old. That's when he started using this evil drug. Well since he got out of Prison about 1 year ago we tried getting back together but because of all the anger and resentment we have for eachother it has not worked. He feels as thought I am the reason his life is in shambles because I called the police on him when he threatened me with a knife and continually threatened to kill or have me killed because I was getting in the way of his drug use and dealing. Of courese when he went to jail the first time almost four years ago he was very sorry and he would never do it again and I was his life and he could not live without me. You all know how the "jail talk" goes.. Well, he lives with his mother and I am very close to his parents and family. We've been together since I was 14 years old and he was 16 so we grew up together. Recently his mom has been really stressed out because he is back on drugs and acting crazy as usual. He doesn't bother me because he know's I will not hesitate to call the police if he does. And when he is on Meth he HATES me and wants nothing to do with me. So because I hate that damn drug and how he is when he is on it and because his mother told me she wanted to call but did not have the nerve, I CALLED HIS PAROLE OFFICER! I made an anonimous call and told her that he was using again and acting crazy and causing drama for his parents. I told her that his parents want him to go to a drug rehab program before he either gets killed or ends up getting caught up for another crime. I also told her that when she goes to test him she needs to take a male with her so they can watch him piss because I've found uring in a little bottle in his pocket before. Hes PO actually showed up three times in two weeks. He of course got caught dirty so OFF to a program he goes. Actually tomorrow they are taking him to a program that is in another city so he will be less likely to leave. He suspected that someone called and reported him but I didn't admit it. He even thought it was our 21 year old son becuase my son told him he knows he came out dirty. Well I did tell my husband before that even if we were not together I would not allow him to be a drug addict even if it meant he would go back to prison. Last night I found my 18 year old son crying in his room looking at a picture of us when we were a normal family and it broke my heart. I called my husband and told him and he started blaming me. he said that it was because "I destroyed our family by calling the police on him" Still blaming me!! Unbelieveable.. I knew he was out getting high taking advantage cause he knew he would be in a program on Friday!! I was so pissed that I told him I called his PO and reported him!!! at that point I didn't care if he knew it was me. I told him I warned him that I would not allow him to be on drugs. I told him if he wants to be a drug addict he better be where I don't know where he is because parole would be on his ass... I know that you can not force a person to quite using but I could not just watch him waste his life the way he is. I am hoping that maybe this time he would realize that drugs is not the way. He says he does drugs to numb his pain. I told him he better learn to deal with it sober or in jail! AM I WRONG FOR CALLING HIS PO??? I still can't believe where we are today! in a million years I would have never thought that we would be going through this!!

Tomorrow his PO is picking him up and taking him to the program! He hasn't even called to say a word to me about it! He did take our sons out to dinner today but they said he still feels as though he does not have a problem with the drug! Will he ever get it?? is there ever coming off this evil drug that takes over you life and mind and makes you turn on everyone you ever loved???:confused:

janie1976
02-27-2008, 05:59 AM
yes it is possible for someone to get off meth.While it is a very addictive drug it is still possible to get clean from it. But the only way for anyone to quit anything is they have to want to quit.They can say ill quit for you,or this reason or that reason but unless they want to quit for themselves then usually they dont quit. All basically anyone can do for someone who is addicted is to pray for them if you believe in prayer,stand by them but do not enable them.Sometimes you have to dish out tough love.But usually it takes someone addicted to drugs to hit absulutely rock bottom before they stop.But yes you can quit i have been quit now for 7 going on 8 years.I dotn get cravings for it,i dont miss it at all.

kima
02-27-2008, 11:06 PM
I have had a few moments in my life that brought me to my knees in abject and total surrender. When the cause of your suffering is out of your control, you really have no choice but to look up to God and beg for His intervention. Your husbands actions are OUT OF YOUR CONTROL. His life is ruled by this drug, and you and your children are just impediments to him that are standing in the way of another fix. He is obviously not thinking straight, and has lost the ability to do so. Again, THIS IS OUT OF YOUR CONTROL. Give him up to God, and stand back and pray for his healing to begin. Do not let his abuse issues drag you down any further. Take the boys to family counseling, for their sake and yours. They need to know that they are not at fault for what their father has done. YOU need to know that you are not at fault either. No matter how sensible that sounds, for some reason we always want to take some of the blame onto ourselves, and children even more so. Your boys, though getting older, probably have some of these feelings of guilt - even if they are deeply seated. A good counselor can help get you all through this. But really the only thing you can do that will change your husband is to turn these hurts and this suffering over to the Lord. He is there to take you by the hand and lead you - and your family - through this, if you will just let Him. And He is the only one who can directly affect your husband to become the man he used to be, before the drug took control, and can turn him into someone better.

I went through 25 years with a herion addicted husband. Our daughter has turned out very well, she's a social worker that works with newly released drug offenders (!). But we have been through years of ups and downs, pain and heart ache. I always cut him out of our lives whenever the drugs started taking control again. Once for nine years, the last time for seven years. For your husband to really hit rock bottom, you need to cut him loose and pray he finds his way back home. Get a divorce even. I did! And when my man had finally hit his "lowest of lows" he FINALLY looked up, called out to God, and begged for mercy and healing. Once and for all he put the old man he was behind him and is now a beacon and a light for both his family and many others. I still and will always stand in awe of the powerful work of God. And we are getting married again in a few months - because since we were 19 years old, in my heart he has always been my husband. We're just making a "legal" again!

lvnhealthy
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I cannot say about this particular person and his/her addictions. However, most addicts will only quit when it becomes more painful to continue than to actually quit. The fact that he continues to blame you and not accept any responsibility regarding the collateral consequences of his behavior indicates that he is not ready for treatment.

I can say that you have been affected by these behaviors (or you wouldn't be posting here).

Please, forget about the addict. Only the addict is responsible for their actions. You are responsible for yours.

Please check out your local Al-Anon meetings.

Also, a wonderful book called "Codependent No More" by Melodie Beatty (kci.org)

If you go to Al-Anon meetings, you will learn:

I cannot CONTROL the addict
I cannot CURE the addict
I didn't CAUSE the addiction

Peace & Light

BUDBOYII
03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes!!!!It is possible to quit.I was hooked for 10years and have been sober for over a year.You HAVE to change friends.Thats the biggest thing.Good luck!!

sierraatx
03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
YEs I lost all my kids and ended up in prison twice im 27 with 3 kids and 3 felonies but today I am drug free and will stay that way Yes a person can stop once I believe and only once they hit bottom and lose EVERYTHING then you begin to realize that theres got to be a better way and there is. DRUGS DESTROY OUR CHILDREN!!! I stopped after 10 years of using daily now im CLEAN and life is GOOD.. Thank GOD

If i can do it so can you

(e-mail address removed per PTO policy, please use private messaging)
I am a 27 SWF mother of 3 recovering addict and ex con In austin tx living DRUG FREE !!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

vallan14213
03-25-2008, 05:51 AM
My ex is currently in Federal. He was a meth dealer. My son who's 34 looks older than me from using it all his life. He finally moved to another state to get away from it. I did the same as well. You see Las Vegas has the highest meth rate in the country and it's a major distribution point.Meth is at crisis proportions there. This drug is so powerful my 22yr. old daughter moved back because she can't get it where I live. Once you are hooked on this evil sh!@#$t it is almost imposible to get clean , but it can be done. What worked for me and my son was to move as far away from the source as we could. My ex will never go near it again. He lost everything including his mom to ovarian cancer right after he went in. Couldn't get out for the funeral. I worry about my beautifull 22yr. old daughter every minute and she's not doing good at all but won't even call unless she needs money.Baught her plane tickets back home three times and she never even called to say she didn't get on. My prayers go out to anyone who's on this and they're families. Good luck and hang in there.:thumbsup: Like some readers said it's not your problem and he needs to hit bottom. PS.. Today I have full custody of our wonderful 15yr. old daughter, have a great paying job, all new furniture, just bought a new car and am so happy to be clean and on my way up again. What a great feeling !!! And my ex husband and I will be back together in a 18mos starting fresh when he finishes the drug program.

tink1078
03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
It's tough, I commend you for being able to call the PO, I personally couldn't do it, I don't think any jail or rehab will help unless HE wants to quit...I know this, my husband was a meth addict for many years, I never turned him in, he quit on his own. But, it is something you are going to have to let him figure out himself. There seems to be an awful lot of resentment between the two of you which is understandable...go to meetings, maybe get counseling to help YOU deal with this.

ZoeGirl
03-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes, you can get off meth. It's hard, but not impossible. Yes, it makes you think everyone is against you and that everything is someone else's fault. I'm glad you called his P.O. It was the right thing to do. The way this drug goes you either quit or die...there's no in between. The hope is that he will be able to get clean and be a better person for himself and for his family. This will take time to know for sure that he isn't just going to run back to it again. He may never stay clean. I think this could teach your boys that actions have consequences. Doing drugs isn't harmless. It hurts people and breaks up families. Don't think in any way that this is your fault. You didn't snort anything up YOUR nose or smoke anything.

rockys babygirl
03-25-2008, 11:53 PM
It sure is possible. You have to want to be clean. You cann't do it for anyone else but yourself. I have been clean 12 years 4 months. I still go to NA meetings. No one can do it alone.

lagreen11
03-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Here Is a poem I was give while I was in jail this last year for meth..U can quite,,It's all up to U when.....(Well im going to try and get this attahment to work! L.O.L. )

Lisaa731
03-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Anything is possible. Like others here have said. The ADDICT has to want sobriety. I celebrated 16 years this past January. The pitfalls are people, places and things. Its the first place to start.

jazzgirl
07-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I hope it's possible. My brothers renting a house where there was a meth lab. before he moved in. I don't think thats healthy.

reggie42
07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Meth and crack.............. my son's homecoming. Please, if there is a God, please let it be possible. :(
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348265

fashi0nablynumb
07-11-2008, 11:40 PM
ya i was a tweaker for years and years and loved the s**t, and i quit, cuz my boyfriend started tweeking so we could like tweek together and i hated him on it, so i quit hopeing to in turn make him quit. haha
and then i ended up going to jail for heroin. and like i got out and i've used meth like twice since i've been out but if i didnt use those two times i'd have been clean off it for 7months!!!!
its not hard to quit, its all in wanting to. u can easily quit if thats what u want. but if u still want to use u aint gonna be able to quit. it all has to do with ur mind, and will power. its not like u need it and ur body depends on it and without it ur gonna get sick (like with h) if u want to stop u can easily stop

lagreen11
07-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Here is a poem I was given in Jail...It speaks the truth ....I give to the ones I meet who is trying to win the war against the Lady in White..They say only 3% of people using Meth will be able to quite.. Good Luck to those who do battle against her,, My prayers are with U!! I have been clean this time for 10 months and counting....

rodeointx
08-10-2008, 12:46 PM
It is very possible to quit meth i did twice but make no mistake it will stay with you forever! i had 17 yrs clean and threw it all away to use again with my husband who was using and did not care that it was my drug of choice as well. I went down a brief walk with it and threw it all away I am not afraid to fight the devil because i walk with God and meth is the seed of satan God gave me the wepons i needed to break free.

rodeointx
08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
oh yeah, good news i forgot to say is i have over a year clean now! thank you jesus for helping me stomp satan and his nasty seed!

joshswifey
08-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, it is possible to quit using meth...but it's not easy. I have been clean for 2 1/2 years, but the problem is, it's EVERYWHERE. Not only that, but from what I've seen (not saying is true in all cases), the biggest problem is the lack of help you can receive and overall lack of support you recieve if you are "in the system". If we really want to start "winning the war on drugs", locking people up is not the way. Putting people in jail, prison, PDC, PWC programs, etc. only removes them from the situation temporarily and throws them right back in it with no rehabilitation, assistance or anything.

shorty769
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
I will keep your family in my prayers. I am a recovering addict my self my drug of choice was meth and well what ever was in front of me. but i have been clean now for almost 2 years and yes it is possible to quite using. it took me a long time to figure it out i lost everything, my house my son, my family ended up in jail for 6 months, but i know have all that back, except my fiance who will be home in 9 months, i have started going to college, and iwork in the behavioral health field with addicts, i work for a detox stabilization recovery unit. Meth is the devils drug. I am truley sorry that your family is going through this.

coffeegirl
08-21-2008, 11:56 PM
Wow, this is a tuff subject. it is the devils drug. it has caused my fiance and i to lose everything. i am not a user, he is recovering, but you have to keep getting help. i played with it about 15 years ago and i could take it or leave it. but my fiance was a major addict. it's the scarriest drug i have ever encountered. when your loved on is addicted to meth, its almost like being cheated on. i hate it more than anything i have ever hated in my whole life. people with such potential and with families lose it all, all over that man made in some toilet crap. i pray for everyone who is addicted to it to get help. i know that getting involved in our chuch has helped my fiance to stay clean, and having our baby. but it's a long road ahead to stay clean and want to stay clean. the system "rehablitation" really helps too. haha. let's get a bunch of parolee meth addicts in one room together and they can meet new hook ups and then we can make more money sending them back to prison. VERY sore, sad, heartbraking subject for me. i know hate is a strong word, but that is what that drug does to families of addicts, it destroys them. but, there is hope, i know alot of people who have quit and stayed clean, you have to change your whole life, friends, some family. it's a choice, one or the other. HATE IT!!!!!!!!! God bless everyone who is staying clean and making a difference in their own lives. its a huge blessing that you made that choice. sorry about the sarcasm a few lines up about the rehabs. can't help it, i've seen how the local parole one works here and i told the officers how i felt about it. God Bless you people again for having the courage to make the choice for a better life.:thumbsup:

leanna619
08-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Excuse my language but HELL YEAH it's possible to quick meth! I was addicted to meth for 3 years i was 19 when i started and 23 when i quit. I have been clean going on 11 years this december, i was really bad i didnt think i could ever quit and no one thought i would ever quit but i did. One thing i had on my side when i quit was that i really wanted to. I was tired and i was done. So like i said its possible but no one can force him, he has to be ready if he's not ready he will not quit no matter where he is placed or what treatment is forced upon him. It's a hard road but anyone can do it if they really want to. I wish you the best of luck fighting this battle! Please feel free to contact me anytime! :D

Is it possible to quite this evil drug?? My husband has been on meth for about 4 years. He started using when he was 40 years old... Before then we had a good life. We've been together for about 24 years have two sons a decent life then he started using METH!!! Everything changed, we've been seperated for about 4 years now. He's been in and out of jail. He never had a record in 40 years but now he has a long one becuase of that drug. He's been out of jail for about 9 months and still using ( I suspect) becuase he doesn't work does'nt bother with me and our sons who are now adults 18 and 21. When he got out of Prison I took him back and it was good for a minute but he wouldn't go find a job and I wasn't going to support him so I finally threw him out.. I really think he wants to be clean but for some reason he just can't give it up. I don't know for sure he's using but my gut tells me he is becuase he dosn't come around and I know if he was clean he would be here trying to get back with his family. I get so frustrated with him parents becuase I feel they enable him to use. They provide him room and board and a car and $$! Why should he work? Why should he give up the drug?? They don't make him have any responsibility.. It really pisses me off!!

What could he be thinking??? How can he live like that?? I just don't get it?? How could he go from good father and husband to living with his mom, not working, being without his family after 28 years of being together?? We've been together since we were kids 16 and 14,. how could he let that go???

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!!!! DO YOU THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO GIVE UP "METH".....

prlmurry
08-22-2008, 05:35 PM
it is possible to quit meth . The hardest part is trying to feel normal without the drug ,when youre brain is addicted to a drug it stops to make the naturaul adrenelin that our nody needs to feel good . The best thing you can do is eat healthy ,lots of protien ,get exercise and even massage therapy can help your body start to produce the natural adrenaline your body needs to feel good again. It could take some time .But the addiction is also nurological as well as physical,emotional.you have to heal the damage it has done to your body ,in order to be healthy again.

gipsyrose
09-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Like the others said, it's hard to quit!! I used all day everyday. It was for only a year and a half, but that was also the worst time of my life. Losing custody of my kids, two overdoses, a house fire and becoming homeless didn't stop me.
I "woke up" 3-07 and headed off to Pheonix, AZ and stayed with a friend of mine there, sleeping A LOT and getting healthy, finally coming back to MI 5-07!! I stayed clean til 2-08 when I had a one night stand with meth again and haven't touched it since. I've come such a long way and worked sooo hard to get where I am today that I can't go back to where I was. My night won't end if I do.
I still suffer depression because of my chronic use and my brain (thinking process) isn't what it used to be b4 I started using.
It's a hard one to stay away from but dedication and good support are a must.

Jenn

ladyCougar
09-01-2008, 08:34 PM
I got on meth when I was around 17 and used for quit a few years. I was using meth, cocaine, heroin, injecting liquid from pills (won't give anyone ideas and won't tell). I was running drugs day and night. I am 45 years old now and you would never know that I ever had a drug habit. I have been clean for 20 years.

You cannot do anything for them. They will quit when they are ready or when they have hit rock bottom. I can tell you truthfully that usually it is when you hit rock bottom. It has been that case with alot of people I have met or knew who left the dope scene.

The best advice I can give is to love unconditionally, yet maintain your barriers or self-preservation. Never let an addict drag you down with them. If you have to send them away and close the door, then close that door. If it kills you so deep inside to send them out on the streets cause they show up hyped up, then lift your head up and try your hardest and send them to the streets. People may think that is cold, but it is one hell of a drug and the best love is tough love.

I had times in my life where I slept behind dumpsters at the JC Penny's. I never cared about eating, cause I was never hungry, but when I did, I remember taking the leftover lettuce and tomato from someones trash at McDonalds and casing out the trash cans. How Pathetic!

I had some horrible things happen to me while on this drug, that I do not think I can share due to graphic nature. Let's just say I had to face death to want life.

Some people can just quit and thats nice. Some can't. Just trust in your Higher Power that there is indeed a divine hand at work here and that every person has a purpose. None of us are hopeless.

That is how I met my SO. He was walking the streets here and was all methed out. I recognized it. I met him, saw he had potential and worked with him. I only shared my experiences with him and let him know that I understand what he is walking through. He had to and has to continue to make that choice on his own. If he uses again, he cannot be with me. I have children now and a home and I want to keep them.

I used to deal drugs back then too and people would bring in stereos and what not's to us and beg for just one hit. Back then we would laugh at them and take their things..everything if they offerred it. They got their fix and we got goods.

One thing that stands clear in my mind when I would be high were my mother's words of love and encouragement. The words of my family, grandmother (who I adored). I would lay there...crashing....and I could hear my family encouraging me. I would always walk away from them or run off. Yet, in the darkest hours, I could hear them. Eventually, it worked. When I over-amp'd that really scared me. I did alot of praying then.

I decided to quit. I promised God. But used a few times more. Then the cops came and arrested my boyfriend and myself. I did not serve time, but his parole was revoked. I should have though, but that is another story as to how I cut loose of jail time.

I got long and I am sorry, but after the arrest scare, I did quit. I went home and slept with the lights on for 2 weeks to send away the demons I saw in the air vents of my room. Bad hallucinations. That is a story in and of itself too!

It can be done! Just never own a thing that belongs to someone else. Their addiction is theirs. I know it is hard. Just be there for when they crash. Emotionally be there. Be firm, but have the love of Christ when they want to come back clean. Demand it as a rule of your home. If they break it, they are out. No if's and's or but's.

kjh4kjg
09-02-2008, 03:26 AM
My man was a shooter.....he's used it all....meth, crack, speed, coke......they used to get overweight girls to get scripts for diet pills, break the pills down and shoot-up .....this was along time ago, however, he said that one day he just had a notion to get clean....locked himself in his room, said dont let me out of this room for nothing, dont believe anything i say....dont let me out of this room. He stayed in that room for 2 weeks...sweating, throwing up...body hurting like a b**ch ...screaming, yelling....crying. He's been clean for about 6 years now.

I agree with the poster that said that no-one can own the addiction, but the addict. That is so true.......

Everyones addiction is their own....everyone becomes addicted for their own reasons....

When i used.....i was invincible and felt better than i'd felt my whole life. But that's a lie. Meth is a lie.....when you used it....it convinces you that you feel good, can do anything, be anything, accomplish anything....it lies to you. It takes everything from you until all you have is the White Lady Meth.

That poem is real....it happens every minute of everyday. Anywhere-Somewhere, Meth is lieing to someone else. I pray for them.

I have a friend that hasnt *used* since 1977, she will still tell you that she is a recovery addict. She says that the urges are still there, even after all these years.

jntuk
09-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and for your prayers. I just don't understand "Addiction" becuase i've never been addicted before. Only to him I guess! I just don't understand how he can loose everything and not quite his drug to get us back. I feel if he loved me enought he would quite. I guess I was wrong.

etaylor20 - Thank you for the poem. I've read it before and it is just terrible what that drug does to people. All I can do for my husband is Pray and leave it up to God! It's very difficult becuase I've loved him for so long. I just hope when he's ready to give it up it's not to late. I can't put my life on hold for him anymore!

I have attended ALANON meetings on and off for the last 3 ytears and it has helped me to seek the spiritual and emotional balance to recover my sanity and peace of mind. I am a bit nervous this time, since my son is due out in Oct. and I hope being in prison for 8 months will make him sober enough to start to address his own issues and make that decison to stop using Meth and messing up his life and mine. He was living with me and most of the family thinks I should just kick him out to make him it bottom and so he will quit. No one but himself, as I understand is going to motivate him to quit. He may or may not quit if he doesn't live with me. I just have to make sure I do not make my home is pad of irresponsibility.. I love having him with me. He is a bright and caring kid - well young man, 27 yrs old this month and having another birthday in prison. But he is mr. manipulator and not his usual self when he is using and also I think this last time he was dealing but not caught at it. So he was charged with possession of Meth. I pray daily for him and myself.. detached loving is what I think it is called. But I am a soft hearted mom and wish he could get out of our town and away from the drug friends... get a challenging job and get his head on straight. Again only he can do that!!!
Thanks again for your insights.

HisStrongOne
09-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I've been sober 1 year, 7 months and 19 days from meth.

I was able to get clean on my own without the use of in patient and/or out patient programs. It was sheer determination and willpower that got me through the withdrawls and the cravings that still to this day can hit me like a ton of bricks.

I try to avoid possible triggers like places, people and things, but that is not always realistic, so when I can't avoid the triggers I just face them head on and deal with it with my "I'll prove you all wrong" attitude. So far I have proved everyone wrong and I take a lot of pride in that. I take every day one day at a time.

taylormadegrrl
09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I quit meth 20 months ago, like your husband it ravaged my life. He's got to want it more than anything. I'm very lucky to have made it through to the other side. It is possible though

bunnybunny
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I think you don't so much quit meth as survive meth. It's a disease.

tweedybird
10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Congratulations to all of you who have overcome addiction. My hats off to you.

stillawaitin
10-10-2008, 11:41 PM
august 19th 2007, funny I don't count the months or days like I used to.

Praise the Lord

pinkkrazr
10-12-2008, 10:14 PM
October 26, 2006...I removed myself from anyone and everyone I connected with meth, even my husband (best friend at the time) Every now and then I feel overwhelmed with things that need to get done and i think how a quick pick me up would get me through but I also know what it will cost me in the end and say a prayer and take the "i wont give in" attitude. It is easier now that i have changed my lifestyle and new friends.

KMC BabyDoll
10-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes it is possible to quit meth and I am talking from experience. It is a very hard struggle but there is hope. The cravings are the worst. I asked my doctor about why my mind was battling between knowing the right thing to do and wanting the drug. He explained to me that meth affects the part of the brain used for survival. So our bodies think we need meth in order to survive, just like breathing. But with every craving that you successfully make it thru that part grows weaker and weaker while the logical part of our brain grows stronger. It took inpatient, intense outpatient therapy, and being watched 24/7 for me to make it thru, but i did. There is hope!

EternallyHis
10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
they call it the devils drug for a reason my love.

It is very HARD but NOT IMPOSSIBLE to beat....I did but my usage was short but I ahve been clean for almost a year...I know of others who had hard core (including IV use) YEARS worth habits and have been clean for multiples of years. it can be done but not untilt he addict themselves resolves to do it!

best of luck to you, the hardest part as a 'loved one' is learning not to enable any further...best wishes

amber

Kevinsgurl85
10-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes it is possible. I am only 17 and started using when I was only 14 years old! I was a baby! Even though I have been clean and sober for almost a year now, I still think about that drug everyday. Even if you quit you still have urges and it sticks with you for a long time. I know people who have been clean for years and years and they STILL think about it. I turned into an evil, lieing, stealing little girl when I used and hurt many people. To be able to quit you need to drop EVERYONE and i mean everyone who even reminds you of this drug. No matter how good of "friends" you are, they gotta go. It's the only way. You are in my prayers and I hope your ex-husband gets clean because I can finally be happy again and I hope he will too. And its not fair to your children. Take care
Ashley

KimberlyBall
01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Yes... But alone it is impossible, even though they fight you to be alone, when the start fighting to be alone, back off but dont disappear! Please he needs you now more than anything! My fiancee and I quit cold turkey, for a couple of months, he came to me one day and asked if I wanted to do it, of course I said no at first, I came home from work and said yes, it was all I could think about while I was at work! I did it AGAIN, and coming down I swore I would never touch it again, and then a week later he was asking again, when we did it we would fight and fight, thank GOD we finally threw it down and quit, I've been clean for almost a year now, I still get cravings and I can sometimes taste it. We quit by moving away and cutting all ties, keeping a few for a while but they are C-U-T now thank God!!! (Sorry for the whole story I just wanted you to know what I have been through).Unfortunately you will never be able to "relate or understand" him unless you've done it ***I am not telling you to do it and PLEASE DON'T*** I think this is the worst drug the devil has ever made! But I still crave it, the only way he will be able to quit is if he makes that decision, if you tell him to he will just grow farther away from you! This is a very touchy thing, but it is possible. When your "high" you don't care about ANYTHING and I do mean NOTHING! Goodluck and please keep me posted, it is possible, but you can't make that decision, he will have to, and he will probably slip up every now and then, but PLEASE be there for him. It WILL be the hardest thing you will ever go through, but it will be worth it! He won't be the same when he quits, he will be a better person and value his life and his children more than anything. Sit down and talk to him and let him know you miss him, don't address the "problem" address the issues his uses have cause, if you go into the discussion thinking he's gonna throw it down that day you may get your feelings hurt I used for 4 years, I hit bottom and if it wasn't for my other half I would have never made it! Let me know how things go and if you have ANY questions please let me know! God Bless and I will be praying for you, God has been my biggest supporter, and Jeremy (my fiancee) was the next biggest! Please let me know how it goes!

water_bills
01-09-2009, 11:13 PM
December 19, 2001 was the last time I used meth. Been 7 years now.. incredible. I think I finally have been clean longer than I used for. Sweet! Still something I think about on a daily basis, though. I can't promise that I will never use again. I really wish I could, but if I did, I would be lying to myself.

Quitting meth was the hardest thing I have ever done. But, getting through that gave me the strength and the knowledge that I can do anything I put my mind to. When I am facing really hard situations, I remind myself of what I have been able to overcome and then I find the strength. It comes in handy a lot!

It's not an easy feat, but DEFINITELY conquerable. You can't do it for him, though. He has to want it for himself. It's absolutely true. And sometimes they just don't want it. All you can do is accept that.

I think that people who do drugs do them because they don't love themselves completely. I mean, drugs are absolutely disgusting and VERY harmful to not only yourself, but other around you - physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Who would treat someone they love so terribly? Why would you treat yourself like that if you loved yourself? Do you understand what I mean? I quit when I finally realized I was better than what I was giving myself. Hopefully he will realize this, too. But it's not going to happen by you standing in front of him telling him. You can say something to someone a million times, but they will never hear it unless it is said in the language that they speak.

I guess all I can say to you is that it is possible to quit. But you're not the one addicted.

tomkat8711
01-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes I'm living proof!

Vaquera111
01-12-2009, 11:24 PM
I last used Meth December 17th, 2003, the day I went to prison. I have been out for 4 years now and I am still clean. Time is the only weapon for Meth. The addict needs a safe place to get clean and months to do it.

tboizlady
01-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I used for nearly two years before I pretty much lost everything. I have been sober for four and a half years now. Nothing in the world could get me to touch the stuff again. And I've been around...would have no problem getting it...makes me sick to think about it. But a person has to be ready. I tried to quit seeral times before I was successful. I had no help- cold turkey all by myself. I was ashamed and didn't even go to a group or anything. I slept off my last high in September of 2004. Lots of food and lots of sleep will get a person through the initial withdrawls. I never had a craving, but many people do. So, a safe place where there are no bad influences is probably important for most people.

MrsCetina
07-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Of course it is, you just have to really want to quit and use your willpower. I quit meth, heroin and coke on my own.

kjh4kjg
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
For me, its totally a personal thing and i believe that "krystal" is the feel good drug....for me it was the way it made me feel about "ME"....made me feel good about the way i looked, made me feel good about my job, my life....the decisions i was making and i had energy!! For once, i wasnt freakin tired all the time. It increased my sex drive immensely, which was definately lackin !! Thats the lie about "krystal"....cause who doesnt want to feel good. I did !!

angelseyes05
07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
:thumbsup:I hit rock bottom doing meth in Jan,26,2005!It was a day I will never forget.I shot 50 thick in my neckwas in a stolen car doing over 100mph I hit a telephone .I had a 9mm gun in my lap was tried of my life I ask ok god if your there help me beilive me he did.I walking away with a crossthat was a bruise on my leg also went to prison but I am walking with God&doing one day at a time.So God Bless if I can do it you can to,God Bless everyone of you!:)

humboldtsweetie
07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
it takes a lot to quit, and you def have to be ready to get help. i don't even know how long exactly my hunny bunny has been on, but i know any amount of time is too long. all of his convictions have been in direct relation to being spun out. since he last went in (about 3 years ago) he has been clean, and is finally ready to get help and has started the process. but even to this day he still calls me and tells me he dreams about getting high. i applaud everyone who has ever conquered an addiction! god bless you all!

tmarie24
08-11-2009, 03:53 AM

I believe it's possible. You can't make anyone stop they have to want to stop. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I know exactly how you feel.

MrsMc
08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
My husband is proof it's possible. All of his troubles started when he got hooked on meth, but he managed to get off it and has been clean for 5+ years. When we met, he said, "I'll always be an addict, I'm just not using it, but I know, if I go near it, it'll be all over, and all be on it again."

I don't know how the heck he did it. It was before I met him, and all he said was, "I got tired of going to jail"

He's been on the straight and narrow (but he's in jail again - oi!), and though it's not easy, yes, it is possible.

tmarie24
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
My husband is proof it's possible. All of his troubles started when he got hooked on meth, but he managed to get off it and has been clean for 5+ years. When we met, he said, "I'll always be an addict, I'm just not using it, but I know, if I go near it, it'll be all over, and all be on it again."

I don't know how the heck he did it. It was before I met him, and all he said was, "I got tired of going to jail"

He's been on the straight and narrow (but he's in jail again - oi!), and though it's not easy, yes, it is possible.

You should be proud of him! I'm sorry to hear he is back in jail. Anyway I like to hear stories of people overcoming addictions. There is hope.

hes my babe
08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
it is a very addicting drug, but when i saw that it was changing the person i was into the person i didnt know. i knew it was time to change my life, its a choice that the abuser has to make themselves, no one can change you unless you want to change your self. and its hard when the drug you are addicted to makes you feel like you can take on the world... you really cant control the urge. it is all up to him. im sorry you are going through this, some people are not as strong as you, just hang in there and support him %100

Gavin123
03-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I've never tried it but my son was doing meth. He did it for about 6 years. Now he'll have to quit. He committed a crime and was just sentenced to 15 years because of it. I hate meth and what it's done to him and our family...all the drama, fights, not wanting to work, kicking him out...I hate it. I think if a person is caught making the crap, they should be shot, the ones that don't blow themselves up anyway.

KaraStocking
03-04-2010, 12:55 PM
It IS possible to quit meth!! I know that for a fact. I was a pretty heavy user, every way, for almost 15 years, and I was able to get clean and stay clean for 4 years now. Many need rehab and other professional help to do it, but I can say that I was luck enough to do it on my own. I do believe that you have to hit rock bottom, and everyones is different. It took me having to give up all of my friends and move out of state to get where I am today. He'll probably have to hit his rock bottom before he's ready to quit. It just sucks that you and your sons are suffering, but meth is a very selfish drug. His parents may be making it easier for him financially and such, but with meth if you want it, or think you "need" it, you will do anything to get it.

I truely hope he realizes he is living a dead-end life and gets clean. I wish you the best of luck and ask you to stay strong.

crazycasey183
03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
yes you can quit meth I used meth for 20 years and I have been clean for a little over 3 years but I had to hit rock bottom & then I had to want to quit for myself and noone else and it was tough at first but now I'm great never been better, now that my life is back on track... Good luck to you

aysealmond
04-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Yes without a doubt a meth addict can chose to be clean. With support, love, and God that can happen. Without support, love, and God I believe that would be incredibly difficult.

nettiemallow
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I feel for you so much , I'm on here because my father-in-law is in prison non drug related ...BUT In 2002 my husband was arrested for Possession of a controlled substance (Meth) with intent to deliver . Yep he was a dealer and a user , as was my sister and her husband , I was living in a nightmare i cldnt dig my way out of . I actually wasnt married to my husband yet and our kids werent born so it wasnt as hard for me to just walk away , and thankfully when i did that my husband went to rehab came out clean and we were married in April 2006 and our daughter was born in Oct. 2006 ... but its a very sneaky drug if they want it to be I ended up getting seperated in March 2008 because he started using again , and Dealing . This time he didnt care i left with our daughter at 1st for about the 1st 6 months , i started talking to other guys , but nothing ever came from it cause I loved my husband still with all my heart and had hope and prayed hard , then his dad ended up shooting a man and something that i think wld trigger most addicts to use more actually woke him up once again , I didnt even know when he went to rehab this time he just kinda dissapeared we all figured he was hiding out cuz of the meth until he called from the rehab for family day . We are back together now and he is doing great now , I read it on here so much and I do Believe it , they are not them when they are using , I have to believe that to be able to forgive its been a hard road and I wanted to give up on him so many times but I couldnt , because when he is clean he is the most wonderful man I could ever ask for , a perfect husband and father, but when he is using i dont know him at all . But i still loved him so much. Sometimes I guess when u just walk away and stop enabling them they may find out on there own hopefully .

2nd story of my sister , we are only 2 1/2 years apart in age , She and her husband had been together since they were 13 he was like my brother , we all grew up together and they were my best friends we did everything together, then they started using , i had no clue at 1st why they didnt want me around it just hurt my feelings and people told me they were using meth and i was just like no theres no way, My brother-in-laws father died of Cancer in 2004 2 weeks before that we found out my sister was pregnant , i had prayed so hard for a way to get my sister off this evil drug and i thought this is the answer to my prayers , she cleaned up no meth at all when she was pregnant , my brother-in-law didnt, my beautiful nephew was born oct.20th 2004 , i didnt have kids of my own then and i was so in love with this baby , I stayed with my sister the 1st week so she wld have all the help she needed , well she suffered from Post Pardom Depression , she wouldnt even look at my nephew , I ended up taking him to my mothers because i was scared to leave him alone with her , for the 1st year of his life she was using again prob harder then before she would come to my moms and visit him now and then , my mom and I both worked so we wld try to work diff. shifts so one of us or his other grandmother could watch him , on Nov. 20th 2005 my mom and i both had to work at the same time his other grandmother also had 2 work , my mom had always been in denial of my sisters meth habit she always said she was just too young to be tied down with a kid but she knew she loved her son and was capable of taking care of him , so my mom told my sister she had no choice but to watch my nephew that evening because we had to work. Well after being at work for about 2 hours I got really sick to my stomach throwing up and left ,when i walked into my house the phone was ringing and it was the ER , I Answered and it was my mom hysterical she said my nephew had swallowed a penny and they couldnt find it ....hmmmwhat ... so i get up there and run into his room and his eyes were huge and he was so out of it he didnt even see me at all , he had a toy car and was just sitting there running it back and forth and i went over and tryed to talk to him and one of the nurses told me not to touch him or even talk to him because it would stimulate his brain even more...I looked at my mom and she told me to go talk to my brother-in-laws mom in the waiting room , I did and she told me they did a blood test and there was meth in his system , my sister at least brought him to the ER but once got there she was too scared to tell the truth about what happened she told them he swallowed a penny , what really happened was he ate a rock of meth , I wanted to kill my sister at this point I was out to find her and was going to hurt her but they were in the process of moving my nephew to a childrens hospital and i couldnt leave him , once he got there they couldnt do anything but give him fluids and told us he was ready to have a heart attack or stroke at any min and wld prob not make it through the next 72 hours ....but he did and no damage was done thank the good lord , they said they didnt know how but he ingested an amount enough to kill and adult and they have no idea how he lived through it , of course my sister lost all rights to him , she went to rehab and has been clean since then , her and my brother-in-law are not together anymore , he is actually serving time right now in a regional jail . She is now with a great man a drug free and has her son back and just had a daughter .

the point of these stories are you may have to go through hell but people can overcome this sometimes the worst things have to happen before they will , I guess its called rock bottom . there is a show on A&E called intervention , i wish i would have seen this show back then , I cry everytime i watch it because i feel the pain . Also 2 great books , Beautiful Boy , and Tweak a father and son wrote them one is the fathers story of dealing with his son being a meth addict the other is the sons version of the story ...its really interesting to see the different point of views . Good luck sweetie if u need to vent more about anything pm me I wld be happy to try to help you work through this!

LSW
04-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Wish you luck. Meth is crazzy

itscindergirl
04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
first off let me say i am sorry for your family but let me tell you the truth about meth there is nothing in meth to be additcted to other than the high you get i used meth for over 6 years daily and when i went to jail and was in with many meth users heavy meth users and no one i ever have known had sweats shakes nothing you sleep for days and eat thats coming down. We were cooks and i dont care what anyone says there is nothing in it to get addicted to other than the love of being high and once you go to sleep that is even over sure everyone wants to run from something and can use that as i cant get off but there is no withdraws anyone that has been on it can tell you if they will tell you that they didnt have shakes they didnt have sweats they slept and ate the only thing you can do is move away from the people you hang with and start new but dont believe it is addictive some will not agree but if they are honest they to know its nothing there to be addicted to what anahidrus, starting fluid come on theres no medacine in it to hook you

katie1126
06-10-2010, 03:20 PM
It's one month today for me being off it. The day i got arrested was the last day I smoked meth. It's been hard, and though one month isn't that long, I feel like it's a step for me. :)

Tuesday123
06-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I sent you a private message danchic I hope it helps

kimmy12
03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I know that it is hard for you and especially for your children to grow up without their Dad beside them, just because of a drug. Crystal meth abuse is hard to break especially if the person himself is not totally serious about his recovery and if there are people around him that tolerates and indulge him of using it even more. However, the recovery will be possible if he has someone like you that will help him see the effect of the drugs on him, someone that will help him to intervene. It is better to have him in a rehab center near your area so that you could always check on his recovery. Don't worry everything is possible if you have positive mind and courage.:)

friendofafelon
05-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I think it's possible....but you have to REALLY want it. I've been an addict for a year now. I have tried to quit several times. I'm not sure I ever will.

natemylove
11-13-2011, 06:37 PM
You can trust me.....i did. But u have to want to.....

mg113
11-14-2011, 10:00 AM
only if you really want sobriety...

DanTheNumber
11-18-2011, 04:57 AM
A prison recovery is not the same as a recovery on your own "outside". Often, due to the repetitiveness of the days, once released, the entire prison term remains pretty much a blur.

It is possible as anything is possible, I have just never seen it done by going into prison and being tossed onto a substitute drug.

I am speaking as someone who has never done drugs, however during my term, I did attend the drug rehab meetings if for anything to break up the dull monotonous days, and retained the information with a watchful eye on people returning for the same problem all pumped up on the same drug, talking the same story but slightly different details.

The sure way for someone to quit is on their own without any outside interference. If you are being abused and it is "because of the drugs, but when he's not high, he's really nice to me" -- my advice -- leave now.

DanTheNumber
11-18-2011, 05:00 AM
I think it's possible....but you have to REALLY want it. I've been an addict for a year now. I have tried to quit several times. I'm not sure I ever will.

You can do it. It just takes a lot of heart and focus. When I quit smoking, I detached myself from everything and everyone for about a month while i stayed inside dealing with the cigarette withdrawals, my bad mood swings, and substituted my cravings with nutritional things like soup, veggies, etc.

The body is a very resilient yet delicate organ which can bounce back from pretty much anything. Substitute poison for nutritional items and you will be good.

I am not sure how much a "hit" or "bump" of meth is going for, but I guarantee ya, the price of a single carrot is a lot less -- and better for you.

AprilShuman88
01-22-2012, 05:52 PM
you have to have a super strong motivation and a lot of support... and you got to be ready to quit. and the temptation always stays with you. but you can quit... it just takes time :/

Mandyr13
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Yes it is possible but only when he's ready. I lost everything friends, family, my children & my Nana (the day I was released) & father (5months after I got out) passed away during my addiction. I even lost 2 yrs of my life in prison bc of my addiction. Even after 2 yrs n prison I came out & used. I moved around alot to try to stay out of trouble, so I thought. But finally after loosing my father bc he couldn't stop getting high, He got an infection & couldn't fight it bc his immune system was shot after his yrs of drug use. He die of MRSA Aug 10th 2k7 & left behind 4 children. Anyway I moved back home & the last time I used it scared me so bad I almost killed myself. I got so high I thought that everything was trying to hurt me. And I locked myself in my house 4 like 2 weeks & didn't talk to anyone didn't eat Couldn't sleep. until finally I fell to my knees from exhaustion & being so scared & I finally Asked God to help me stop using this stupid drug & to help me change. And next thing I know I'm waking up in the floor of my bedroom & it has been 2 days. I get up look around go take a shower & then I go to my Mimi's house (dad's Mom) & beg her to pls forgive me & then I start making calls & asking for help from friends to help me stay clean. Now 5 yrs later I have gained back some of the trust from friends & family. And most of all I have my twins back & my oldest is starting to trust me again. So with all that said it is possible. With ur Prayer & faith in him it's possible. Just a word of advice thou don't beat him up about it all the time. Bc when ppl do that it makes us feel like why am I trying to change if so & so is going to always hold it against me. And then ur back a square 1. I'll be praying for u & ur family. God Bless

LilSunshine
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
I didnt read this entire thread, just the title question. I'm only going to answer from personal experience. Yes it is possible to quit meth. I'm a recovering addict. I've been a user of meth and prescription narcotics. The biggest thing in quitting is the desire to do so. With will power, support, hard work, and determination... its very possible to quit.