View Full Version : Mississippi 65% Law???

mybabysgone
01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi, my husband is currently doing a 14 year sentence in a MS prison under the 85% law. I know for YEARS, talk has been that the senate was going to lower this to 65%. This has been talk among prisoners for a while, but now guards are saying that this law actually passed this term. Does anyone know for sure? If so and you can post a link, I would appreciate it GREATLY!

Mrs.Glamma
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm so sorry but it is still just a long standing rumor.

Welcome to PTO and the Mississippi forum!

I-Care
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
I would LOVE to see that be the case but if it is a current law they are trying to pass this year I have not been able to find any of the bills they are looking at this year. Like MS Glamma, I believe this is a rummor and we hear it all the time. What is worse is our Love One's hear it all the time. If we ever see where that bill DOES actually try to pass we need to see how we can support that.. I have been hearing this for about 6 years now, every time new sessions begin I hear it more..SADLY I do think it is a rumor also..

chickletone
01-14-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't know why the guards would perpetuate this rumor,because from everything I can find out on it is just a rumor.I would love to find something somewhere that it was true. It would be such a true blessing to alot of inmates and their families,and loved ones!

PTO-29412
01-14-2008, 05:04 PM
The guards start the rumors because it is fun for them to see someones hopes raise and then get smashed.

Guards are just as bored as inmates, and looking for fun and kicks as well!

This is a rumor and likely will never happen. And if it does noone will be eliible except for 1-2 circumstances, the rest will be exempt because of crimes.

skyebaby
01-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Well Thats A Hoot! I Was On Here To See If There Was Any Talk Of The 85%=65% Law Because My Son Just Ask Me Saturday About That. I Told Him It Was More Likly Than Not A Rumor. I Did Mention This To His Lawyer On Sunday Though And He Said He Hasn't Heard Anything About It. He Did Say That He Would Not Be Supprised To See It Happen Sometime Maybe In Near Future
He Said That If They The Judges Kept Wanted To Send Many To Prison For Small Crimes And Such That They The Goverment Would Have To Do Somthing Because Mississippi Can't Afford To Keep Inmates Up. I Told Him They Weren't Doing Thier Job Now. But He Is Telling The Truth About Not Being Able To Afford It Here In Mississippi.

Does Some Of The Counties You All Live In Have The Drug Court? The Are Working On Getting It Up And Running Here.

callback
01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
The Clarion-Ledger website will start publishing a list of bills being considered once the legislature goes into session.

I-Care
01-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Great!!! Thanks!!!!

callback
01-18-2008, 01:52 AM
I sent you to a link that lists bills and their dispositions.

Here are some of the more interesting ones proposed so far.

SB2014
Elections; prohibit convicted felons from voting.
01/14 (S) Referred To Judiciary, Division A
SB2071
DNA; require biological sample from all felons.
01/14 (S) Referred To Judiciary, Division B;Appropriations
SB2119
Katie's Law; require DNA sample upon all felony arrests.
01/14 (S) Referred To Judiciary, Division B
SB2120
% DUI; enhance minimum penalties for a first offense.
01/14 (S) Referred To Judiciary, Division B
SB2121
Parole; allow all first-time offenders convicted of a nonviolent crime to be eligible for parole.
01/17 (S) Referred To Corrections
SB2131
Inmate health care costs; paid under Medicaid program and limit charges by health care providers to the Medicaid rate.
01/17 (S) Referred To Corrections;Appropriations
SB2136
Parole; provide that first-time offenders for selling drugs may be eligible for parole.
SB2137
Parole; provide that first offenders for selling drugs may be eligible for parole.
SB2140
Check casher license; applicants convicted of a felony not eligible.
01/17 (S) Referred To Business and Financial Institutions

I didn't find any bill amending the 85% law. That rumor is bogus.

I-Care
01-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Callback..THANKS AGAIN!!!