View Full Version : Transition Centers

eeniaLorr
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
I think that questions about transition centers have come up before. I was curious as to what criteria determines if a person will be allowed to do the rest of their sentence at a center.

The following information comes from the GDC website:
After a long term in prison, selected inmates are slowly reintegrated back into society with a job and enhanced prospects for stability. Research has shown that offenders who have the opportunity to re-enter the community after a stay in a transitional center are up to a third more likely to succeed in maintaining a crime-free life.
There are 1,719 transitional center beds available statewide. An inmate must be referred for the program by either the State Board of Pardons and Paroles or the prison staff. The decision about which inmates to send to a transitional center is based on criminal history, behavior while incarcerated, and a number of other factors.
One function of the transitional centers is to provide "work release", allowing the inmate to obtain and maintain a paying job in the community while requiring him or her to conform to the structure of the center. The inmate lives in the center, participates in a number of programs, and completes assignments to contribute to the upkeep of the center. The wages earned by work release inmates are sent directly to the center.

Perhaps someone with some personal information on these centers will be able to shed some light on the criteria for placement. I looked at the information for some of the men in these facilities and the time left on their sentences range from a few months to life. How does a person with a life sentence go to a transition center?

shaunsgrl0130
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
a life sentence is not actually "life"-it is generally a certain number of years, which is why you hear of people getting ridiculous sentences of "48 consecutive life sentences."

babydoll113
01-18-2008, 10:17 AM
The P & P is normally who sets up the Transitional Centers. They mandate the inmate to go on their grid sheet. In very rare cases, the inmates counselor can recommend that they go to the TC. Notice I said in rare cases, because some of the counselors just don't do this.

RottieMom
01-22-2008, 03:19 PM
So as of now there are only transitional centers for men only? Still never figured out who that parole officer was that called my friends mom to talk about my friend, he was calling from a transitional center for men that violated their probation...possibly felony probation I would assume. Anyway, my friend is female so I dont understand...how in the world would some parole officer in a TC have my female friends info? I wonder if they are sending paper work to other place in Georgia because they cant handle the work load? I tried calling him and he has no voice mail, he has to be paged. All I know is that my roommate needs to come home! She has a sick dog and I hate living in a house by myself...even with dogs! Divorce sucks!