View Full Version : Dave_33 New here

Dave_33
01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Not the news I wanted to start out the new year with, but I just found out my brother accepted a plea bargain for life without parole. :(

Not sure where he'll be sent yet, but I'm guessing Parchman. Just wanted to say hi, since I'm sure I'll be posting questions about mail, phone calls, etc. Glad to have a place to go for info and support. :)

Mrs.Glamma
01-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi Dave,

Welcome. Sorry you have to go through this but you sure came to the right place for info and support. Start reading the threads now and you will be ahead of the game.

After your brother is sentenced he will likely remain in county for 30 days or so. You will not know when he is being moved for security reasons. They will come wake him up about 3am some day and tell him to pack up for trip to Cental Mississippi Correctional in Rankin County. He'll be there for 4-6 weeks or so for receiving and classification, no visits and phone calls only on Saturdays (Maybe Sunday..can't recall). There is info on all that in the CMCF sub-forum.

Let us know how we can help. Aside from PTO, read the MDOC website as well.

All my best.

Dave_33
01-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks Mrs.Glamma. He's already been in county for three years, so will it still take that long for them to process and transfer him? Just curious because I was planning on coming down in March to visit some family and was hoping that he would already be transferred and allowed visitation by then. Hopefully I'll find out more after his sentencing.

WipeMeDown
01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
hi dave!! let me tell u that you have found a great support group here! these people are awesome! they have been able to answer some questions that ive had forever!

PTO-29412
01-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Welcome to PTO if I can ever be of any help please let me know

Dave_33
01-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I wish I had found this board three years ago. Getting information while he's been in county has been a nightmare, since you're all familiar with the MDOC, I'm sure you know what that's like.

Luckily we have some family in the local area that have been able to visit him on a regular basis. Gonna be tougher if he goes to Parchman tho, since they're all down near the coast. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

Thanks again! :)

I-Care
01-13-2008, 08:52 AM
"Dave" welcome.. HOW SAD....I just found out my brother accepted a plea bargain for life without parole. :(
This is AWFUL!! They scare them SO BAD.. Well we are here and if you need to just come up for a breath of fresh air every once in awhile please join us in the "Hospitality" section. A place we go to just laugh, joke and get away from our pain a little at times. When I first saw that section and was beginning down this road I did not like it because I was hurting SO BAD and they were laughing and having fun. After I started reading more and the actual inital shock of everything, I began to enjoy the Hospitalitly section a LOT!! We chat about lots of things there. Some crazy and silly like our football or base ball teams. It does us good once in awhile to laugh and try and take a breather from all the pain.
This MS PTO group is EXCELLENT!! I have met some of the finest people in the world through MS PTO..
Bless you and your family.
You in VA?? My Grand Daughter lives in VA...That is a LONG trip...
Have a blessed day and I am sorry that you even have need to come to this site but welcome and feel free to ask questions. If someone does not know the answers then some one else usually does.

BLESS YA
"I-Care"
PS. Does he have ANY family in MS that will be close to him??

LeaAnn
01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Welcome to PTO!

Dave_33
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I-Care, thank you for the kind words. I'm sure it will be tough, but all we can do is support him and love him. I've been sending him money when I can, but now that we know he's in for life, I'm going to budget money to send him every month. I'll definitely check out the hospitality section.

Yup, we're in VA, and you're right, it's a good haul down to MS, I'll probably only be able to get down there a couple times a year to see him. We have family in MS, but they're all down on the coast, so if he's up at Parchman (it's up north, right?) then they won't be able to see him that often. Right now our grandfather and my aunt have been visiting him every week, which is great. Do they hold lifers anywhere else but Parchman? Or does it depend on what he gets classified as? And how does the A, B, C classification work?

Dave_33
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Welcome to PTO!

Mrs.Glamma
01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
I-Care, thank you for the kind words. I'm sure it will be tough, but all we can do is support him and love him. I've been sending him money when I can, but now that we know he's in for life, I'm going to budget money to send him every month. I'll definitely check out the hospitality section.

Yup, we're in VA, and you're right, it's a good haul down to MS, I'll probably only be able to get down there a couple times a year to see him. We have family in MS, but they're all down on the coast, so if he's up at Parchman (it's up north, right?) then they won't be able to see him that often. Right now our grandfather and my aunt have been visiting him every week, which is great. Do they hold lifers anywhere else but Parchman? Or does it depend on what he gets classified as? And how does the A, B, C classification work?

I know there are a lot of lifers at SMCI which is a lot closer to the coast, depending on where on the coast they are, an hour or two. I make it in just over an hour from Moss Point. (shhhh)

He will likely start out with C custody (in a cell 23 hours) for some time. I'll check with a friend who is a lifer as I can't remember how long he was in lockdown.

If your brother does get sent to Parchman, family can request transfer after several months, but at cost to family; OR y'all might get lucky and her will just get transferred by MDOC.

Custody is based on a point system. Amy had posted it here some time ago. I'll try to find it soon for you.

As for your question earlier about county and being moved; he is still a county inmate. Once he is sentenced he becomes an MDOC inmate and will be waiting for MDOC to pick him up, and most people I have heard have waited about a month.

stormflower
01-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi Dave

Welcome Aboard. Im kinda new too and just finding my feet - but the people and support here are FABULOUS beyond words.

Sorry we all had to meet the way we did - but at least we all have each other for support x

Dave_33
01-14-2008, 06:20 AM
I know there are a lot of lifers at SMCI which is a lot closer to the coast, depending on where on the coast they are, an hour or two. I make it in just over an hour from Moss Point. (shhhh)

He will likely start out with C custody (in a cell 23 hours) for some time. I'll check with a friend who is a lifer as I can't remember how long he was in lockdown.

If your brother does get sent to Parchman, family can request transfer after several months, but at cost to family; OR y'all might get lucky and her will just get transferred by MDOC.

Custody is based on a point system. Amy had posted it here some time ago. I'll try to find it soon for you.

As for your question earlier about county and being moved; he is still a county inmate. Once he is sentenced he becomes an MDOC inmate and will be waiting for MDOC to pick him up, and most people I have heard have waited about a month.

SMCI would be great, we have family in Moss Point and Pascagoula. Right now my grandfather visits him every week, but that would be tough for him to go that far north if he goes to Parchman. Do you know how much it would cost if we requested to have him moved at our expense?

I read the sticky on processing at CMCF, is that right that he won't be able to take any of the pictures or letters he's received over the last three years? I have all of the pictures I sent him on my computer, so I can print them out again if need be.

Also, since I have no idea when/where he'll be transferred, will his mail get forwarded from county after he gets transferred?

Thanks again for the help :)

Dave_33
01-14-2008, 06:23 AM
Hi Dave

Welcome Aboard. Im kinda new too and just finding my feet - but the people and support here are FABULOUS beyond words.

Sorry we all had to meet the way we did - but at least we all have each other for support x

Thanks Stormflower. I see you're in Australia, I spent some time near Newcastle, and up in the northern territory in '06 for work, loved it over there :thumbsup:

stormflower
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Believe It or not never even been there myself haha - looking at moving to Qld at the moment though .. so may see It one day haha

Dave_33
01-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Believe It or not never even been there myself haha - looking at moving to Qld at the moment though .. so may see It one day haha

Don't worry, I know a lot of people here in the US who have never left the state they live in, I couldn't imagine, I love to travel.

Mrs.Glamma
01-14-2008, 08:29 AM
SMCI would be great, we have family in Moss Point and Pascagoula. Right now my grandfather visits him every week, but that would be tough for him to go that far north if he goes to Parchman. Do you know how much it would cost if we requested to have him moved at our expense?

I read the sticky on processing at CMCF, is that right that he won't be able to take any of the pictures or letters he's received over the last three years? I have all of the pictures I sent him on my computer, so I can print them out again if need be.

Also, since I have no idea when/where he'll be transferred, will his mail get forwarded from county after he gets transferred?

Thanks again for the help :)

He will only be able to bring his bible. My loved one was instructed by someone to write all his addresses and phone numbers in the Bible. He sent home the pictures and other things he wanted to keep safe and I resent them.

I'll have to check on the County to State mail. I know for sure it is forwarded between State facilities. I am thinking the county mail came back to me to be honest. It's been a long time.

Dave_33
01-14-2008, 08:47 AM
He will only be able to bring his bible. My loved one was instructed by someone to write all his addresses and phone numbers in the Bible. He sent home the pictures and other things he wanted to keep safe and I resent them.

I'll have to check on the County to State mail. I know for sure it is forwarded between State facilities. I am thinking the county mail came back to me to be honest. It's been a long time.

Ok, then we'll try to make sure he gets his contact info written in his bible and sends us the stuff he wants to keep.

I figured they probably wouldn't forward it from county to state.

Do you know if they get visitation while they're processing in central, or do they have to wait until they get to where they're going?

Mrs.Glamma
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Ok, then we'll try to make sure he gets his contact info written in his bible and sends us the stuff he wants to keep.

I figured they probably wouldn't forward it from county to state.

Do you know if they get visitation while they're processing in central, or do they have to wait until they get to where they're going?

Sorry, no visitation while in R&C at CMCF. When he gets to his perm facility, he will get the visit info and forms to send to family members to apply for visits.

Dave_33
01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Sorry, no visitation while in R&C at CMCF. When he gets to his perm facility, he will get the visit info and forms to send to family members to apply for visits.

That's what I was afraid of. Hopefully they can get him processed and transferred by the end of March, that way we can visit him when we come down.

I-Care
01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Dave..Hopefully all of this will move fast for your family...I sure hope it does..

Dave_33
01-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Dave..Hopefully all of this will move fast for your family...I sure hope it does..

Thanks, me too. I just hate to miss an opportunity to see him. But hopefully it will work out :)

lannylu
01-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Plea bargains are so unethical ! It's used to "free" up the courts and what it really does is fill prisons , and ruin lives . To many scared , manipulated and uneducated people take them .... without realizing they deserve a trial . Heavy handed tactics are used and people are bullied into taking them . It pays to push for a trial it's amazing how many charges don't stand up in court and evidence is not even relevant in a court ... never trust police ! I'm so glad we don't have such an emphasis on plea bargains in the australian system ... Many regrets to those who's loved ones have been affected by plea bargains .

I-Care
01-19-2008, 08:13 AM
"lannylou"... If I was in the person's shoes the scare tactics that are used I probably would take a plea even if I was innocent. I would HOPE I would not do that BUT they are GOOD with their scare tactics. One thing I think is SO WRONG is things like them saying that if you do not take this plea you will get LIFE W/O parole and EVEN when they take the plea they get the SAME sentence basically ( 44 years???) .. I know one who was VERY YOUNG ( under 21) and they scared him into taking a plea by telling him he would get LIFE so he plea bargained for 10 years but was innocent. I could go on and on..One man recently spent 3 years in jail awaiting trial. They scared him into taking a plea bargain and he STILL got life!! As soon as the Judge gave the sentence the prosecution was heard to say " Sure glad he took the plea because we really had nothing to convict him"...
Our crimial system in MS just STIINKS!!! I imagine you smell that odor all the way in Australia!!! SMILE!!!

chickletone
01-19-2008, 10:37 AM
welcome Dave! I'm sorry for the reason you found us,but I'm glad you did. Parchman's not a great place to be. My son is there after being transfered out of a private prison. I'm so grateful your brother has some support out their on his side. Believe it or not,but having that is much more important to him than anything!! I hope and pray they move things along very fast so that you'll be able to see him on your trip to Ms. in March.visits are so important on both sides! As hard as it is to have to walk away and leave your loved one behind inside,it's a real comfort to sit and talk face to face with them. Helped this Momma sleep better at times.This is a wonderful loving group of people whom I call my Ms. family! It's amazing how great they are holding your hand,giving a hug and a prayer through this ole computer! Reguardless of what I need to do whether it's a laugh or hug or I need to vent and blow off steam involving the MSDOC or everyday issues that arise in my daily life. These lovely family are here to listen and support. Okay I'm getting off my soapbox(for now):D Again Welcome!

patticake
01-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Dave! welcome. You have a great information pool going on here at PTO. Mail from county will not be forwarded, but once a member of the fine MDOC system, snail mail does catch up with them. Tell him to monitor his money in canteen, they mess up once in a while, tell him keep all reciepts, buying and deposits. I was told, the inmate has to keep $70.00 in their commessary account to cover a transfer, they charge by the mile, but I forget how much per mile. When he does get to Rankin Co., Jackson for orrientation, you can contact ljordan@mdoc.state.ms.us for assistance with hardship transfer closer to home due to elderly family members. She was very helpful for me.

Dave_33
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Patti, thanks for that e-mail address, I'll definitely send her an e-mail, what's her name? I found out today that he was transferred to Rankin last week, and he already has an MDOC number, so hopefully he won't be there too long.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Got a long road ahead of us, but all we can do is make the best of it and support him as much as we can. :)

Mrs.Glamma
02-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi Dave,

Glad to hear your brother has been transferred.
They are generally in R&C for 4-6 weeks.

Leannette Jordan is the Director of Offender Services.
I have found email much more effective dealing with MDOC but her number is:601-359-5099.

In addition to PTO, you will find a lot of good information on the MDOC website.

Keep in touch and keep us posted.

Dave_33
02-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Thank you Mrs.Glamma, I will send her an e-mail right now.

I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

patticake
02-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Sorry Dave, didn't get back yesterday but thanks Mrs Glamma! Lynnette Jordan is wonderful with the family members, and yes, I too have found e-mail to be much more effective..You can keep tract of him thru the mdoc website now that he has an inmate number.

I-Care
02-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Asking this for some one who needs help.. Is Lynette Jordan the one to call or email if an inmate needs to be transferred from any State facility or just from Rankin Co??? I have a friend who has one son at CMCF and had another son there but they have moved him to unit 32 at MSP. She is trying very hard to get both at CMCF because it is closer to her and she can visit both there. MSP really puts a hardship on her and she has NO IDEA why thy sent him to unit 32 at MSP. He does have SOME slight medical problems but probably not enough to keep him at CMCF on medical reasons...

Dave...Wishing you the best!!!

Mrs.Glamma
02-15-2008, 10:14 AM
I-Care, Ms Jordan is the MDOC Director of Inmate Services, covering all MDOC facilities.
Hope your friend is successful.

I-Care
02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
THANKS MUCH GLAMMA!!! I will send this info to her...

Dave_33
02-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I guess someone was on the ball, he's already been transferred :thumbsup: Turns out he went to Wilkinson. I found a thread on here that said it was one of the better facilities, so that's good. I think Southern would still be closer for visitation (for my family anyway, either way is a haul for me), so I'll have to check on that. Altho, which facility would ya'll say is better, Wilkinson or Southern? I guess I'd rather have him where it's better for him. Still have to find out if I'll be able to visit him next month or not, I'm not sure how soon they are able to have visitors.

Oh, since this is a private facility, I guess Lynette Jordan wouldn't be the person to talk to anymore, right? Since she's MDOC? The info thread for Wilkinson lists Larry Lee as the MDCO Compliance Officer, but only lists a phone number, no e-mail, and that was posted in 2005, does anyone know who I would need to get in contact with at Wilkinson to find out about visitation? Thanks! :)

Just found a thread that says Wilkinson is on lockdown, what does that mean exactly? I'm assuming that means no phones or visitations, right? What about mail? And how long do lockdowns usually last?

Mrs.Glamma
02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Dave, I am glad your brother has been moved already. Wow..that was FAST!!

As soon as he meets with his case manager he should be given visit approval forms to send to you. They are generally dated so send back right away, then follow-up as they will not contact you to let you know you are approved.

You are correct in assuming no vists and no phones while on lockdown. That means there is some sort of problem and the guys are very restricted, no yard calls, sandwiches in unit no meals in dining hall etc. No telling how long it can last.

The info posted on the facilities was posted in 2005 but I updated everything according to MDOC site a week or so ago so it is all current.

Dave_33
02-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks Mrs.Glamma, I was really surprised he was transferred that quickly, but I'm glad. Do you know if they can still send & receive mail while in lockdown? Hopefully it's over soon and he has visitation by the time we get down there. :)

I-Care
02-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Dave...As far as I know mail can be sent and received in lock down...

patticake
02-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Dave33, glad your brother got transfered so fast. Lynette Jordan is still the top person when dealing with a transfer, private or state run. MDOC is still MDOC here in MS. Yes, mail is not normally restricted on lockdown except in rare occasions. Wilkinson is a pretty good place, I have family that live there, 2 of my cousins-in-law work at prisons in the area. Said it was a pretty fair place for the inmate. glad things are moving quickly for you. MDOC page has the listing of phone numbers, give them a call, with any visitation questions.

Dave_33
02-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks everyone :) I'm going to put a letter for him in the mail today. Is sending money the same for the private facilities?

jessnkat
02-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi there, Dave! Just wanted to give you a belated Welcome to PTO!!

I can't answer your question - my hubby was in Texas while incarcerated - but others can and will! Glad you found us and your answers! Hope you get to visit with your brother soon!

Dave_33
02-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome Kat :) Everyone here has been really helpful, it's nice to have someplace to go to talk to folks who have been there, or are still going through it.

Mrs.Glamma
02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Good morning Dave,
I forgot to add in that yes he can send and receive mail except as previously staed some rare occurence.
I do not know of limits on money sent is to be put on account. Private may be different so ask when you call also where it needs to be sent. As a rule they have a limit how much they can SPEND per week according to custody level.

Dave_33
02-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks again Mrs.Glamma, I'll give them a call and find out how it works at Wilkinson. :)

savebrettjones
03-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Dave, LWOP, how is that a bargain? How can they call that a "deal"? What else is there, death? Hmmmmm...such a deal!.....

It's bad, yes. I support a boy who at barely 15 got natural life, 50 years-no parole. It is incomprehensible to him and he has no concept of what that means right now. He talks about what he is going to do when he gets out. It is so very perplexing. I guess a young person can't wrap their mind around the concept of life-his brain isn't even done growing. We are doing what we can for him right now in the courts. His PCR has been accepted by the MS Supreme Court so that was a small miracle since only about 2% are actually granted. It hasn't actually been granted, but the application has been accepted and the State has been ordered to respond. So that is something. It gave him some much needed hope.

Not to go on here, but maybe you can continue to go through the legal process through the courts to get some sentencing relief. LWOP is a living death sentence and in my opinion should be abolished. Everyone has redeeming qualities and I don't believe your brother has NO worth at all. Keep your head up and continue to hope for the best. Don't give up on him. Fight in the courts. The 5th Court of Appeals which handles Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas is federal court and you can get out of the State "good ole boy" system where your chances of better judges and a fairer system go up. Be sure you don't miss filing deadlines. It's tricky in Mississippi.

You have 3 years for State appeals but only 1 year for Federal, so you need to file PCR within 1 year of your original appeal in order to be perserve your right to file in Federal Court later. Remember that, cause I found that out luckily for Brett and time was of the essence when I got started. We needed all of a year. I know of a couple GOOD post conviction relief attornies in the Tupelo area if you need one, they will work pro bono and if not, are affordable. Post Conviction is a civil action, not a criminal one (in other words, it's not about the trial anymore or the appeal, it involves things that couldn't be brought up at trial or shouldn't). It involves rights violations and you need someone who specializes in that. It's constitutional law. Also, it is collateral review of the case, and the standard is low, which is "more likely than not" the case deserves review. so think about it.

Chin up, message me if you would like.
Pam

savebrettjones
03-03-2008, 02:14 PM
By the by, does anyone know how to edit your profile? Thanks:)

Dave_33
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Pam :)

You're right, it's not much of a bargain when your only choices are life in prison or the death penalty. We got our first letter from him tho, and he's doing well, he said that Wilkinson is a good facility, the food is decent (just not enough of it) and they have a/c, so that's good. We're going down to see him in a few weeks.

patticake
03-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Dave, I'm gonna send you a PM . Just for some details, but I have relatives at the Wilkerson Woodville area that are into the Good News Jail & Prison Ministry's. I also know of a mother in the very far north whose son is there and she can't get into visit there, in Woodville and hasn't seen him in months. I met that wonderful mother, and she touched my heart. I know the anxiety you feel being so far away, along with the california families with their family members being at Tutweiler. When my son was at tutweiler even I didn't get there and that was only 300 miles for me. I'm trying to Network people in that area with parents/family members/ churches etc that may be interested in an adoption program, to follow up with closer observation thru the prison ministers (volunteer lay people) in the area that actually go inside the prison. Then they can give that pat on the back, or talk, with your brother, and thru PTO and Missippi CURE , they can actually reach out and touch you with the news of your loved ones, right here for all of us to see or thru PM....I'm in the process of trying to get this set up thru my cousins that are very known in the community thru church activities and businesses they own. I feel the Lord crying out for this, the need to network our family members on the inside, along with uniting us together on the outside, to have someone to stand with, thru jesus. I hope to contact them soon. I'm personally looking for someone in the Carthage area that works prison ministry in the LCCF Facility for my own son *personal information removed*. Father Greg in Greenwood, made quite an impression on my son while there. This is what has given me this idea. Kinda like a Mississippi Cure ~ Guardian Angel Program or something? I-Care, Jonathan, would this be something we could do through the Cure name?
This program would also work on the inside, when our boys (or girls) are shipped from facility and facility and we all , them and us, go thru that all familiar anxiety again, there is already an inside angel waiting for them. To protect them and show them the ropes at the new place. I know I sure would feel alot better. My son and I have talked about this, and he already is putting up PTO flyers inside the facilities for all the inmates to turn their families into our site. I really think this will work.

savebrettjones
03-10-2008, 09:22 AM
awesome idea.

I-Care
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes, great idea but I attempted this not long ago only to find out the one I was sending the young man too was a BIG GANG LEADER ( WCCF).. Wonderful idea but aren't they usually already in another facility before we could get that news to them or to some one inside?? AGAIN GREAT IDEA but not sure how to work that. MS CURE rolls are confidential so we could not do it through MS CURE but still a BRAIN STORM OF AN IDEA!!!