View Full Version : How to find out restitution payoff amount?

SadMonkey
01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Is there any way to find out what the total current restitution amount one owes is? This is minus it being paid down for a little while, plus if any interest/additional fees/etc. have been added on to it? (This is after SR is over.) Do you just call up the FLU and ask? Send them a letter? Is it online somewhere like a credit card account balance you can check on? (Dreaming on that one, I'm sure, but it would be handy. :rolleyes: )

Also, someone posted awhile back about the interest rates. I tried to figure it out but it didn't seem clear to me then and now I've lost the link. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on interest and how it is calculated? And is interest *always* added unless the court order specifically says *not* to add it in? What if it just says *may* be added?

bellisq
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
the judgment and committal order filed at sentencing will have the amount. It should be an attachment on his Pacer listing .

SadMonkey
01-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks bellisq. Will the Pacer listing be up to date? I mean, we know what the original amount was he was to repay, we just don't know for sure if interest, etc., has been added to it and need to know the *current* balance, not the original amount.

bellisq
01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Oh i see, nope, it will just be the amount that was initially ordered. Haven't seen FedPO on in a while but he should know and you might PM Martha2 who seems to have investigated this issue thoroughly.

USProbationMB
01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
You can contact the FLU Unit yourself, probably best by writing. It is up to the FLU Unit whether or not interest will be waived. If you're still on TSR, then usually the FLU Unit will consider the PO's input. However, it's the FLU unit's decision on the interest whether you're on TSR or have already completed it. In my district, interest is usually waived if you had been making the required monthly payments on time and consistently. This is an incentive for you to make the payments as ordered. However, this decision to waive the interest is not decided until you make the payoff of the originally ordered amount. So contact the FLU Unit directly and see what you can work out with them.