View Full Version : Has Anyone's Man Gotten a VOP sentence?

DollarBillsWife
01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
My man is in florida (broward county jail) but umm he's supposed to get sentenced for VOP (violation of probation) *its his 1st time VOP. the charge is burglary of a car (which is bs but ) i was wondering if any of ur bfs/hubbys got sentenced for VOP... if so, what time did they get?? (how long) what state too.

Thanks

DollarBill's wife

Kidoe594
01-09-2008, 05:24 PM
My boyfriend got VOP and they senteced him to 4 months and will serve half. He stayed in county cuz his time is to short to go to prison.

And we're in California

DollarBillsWife
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
what was his charge? his 1st time? i think my man's is probably more serious...

Kidoe594
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
BUT..............they wanted to give him 10 months with only having to serve half...........but they said since he went for so long (he stopped reporting for parole and went into hiding for 2 years) that obviously he didn't need parole so they said 5 months serving only half...........but then my bf told them he had a job waiting for him out here so they finally said "Fine!" 4 months serving half.

LOTS OF BUTS THERE. Eevery case is different. I heard though they never give guys more than a year for VOP

Kidoe594
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
It was for the same thing.......car theft

DollarBillsWife
01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
maybe no more than a year for 1st time VOP in cali? in florida maybe its different. my man told me the VOP charge is independent from the other charges... yea he doesnt think he would get more than 2 yrs... damn hope not...

Kidoe594
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
yeah in cali thats what i heard for 1st offend. you might wanna check out the florida section and ask there. they might know more details

DollarBillsWife
01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
how do i get to florida section on this forum?? im new to this... LOL

Kidoe594
01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
on the main page scroll down till you see "U.S. Regional Forums" then under that look for Florida.

ninaobina
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
The sentence has to do with how many points he has on his score sheet. If he has a prior convictions for any offense I think all of that is factored into his time.

My fiancee had a technical violation ( he left the county without permission) and he received 62 months. This was his first VOP but he had a pretty long score sheet. I sat in the courtroom and listened to judge reinstate other people's probation for more serious violations. This whole thing is a mystery to me.

DollarBillsWife
01-10-2008, 08:36 PM
The sentence has to do with how many points he has on his score sheet. If he has a prior convictions for any offense I think all of that is factored into his time.

My fiancee had a technical violation ( he left the county without permission) and he received 62 months. This was his first VOP but he had a pretty long score sheet. I sat in the courtroom and listened to judge reinstate other people's probation for more serious violations. This whole thing is a mystery to me.

what is a score sheet? (previous convictions??). sorry im new to this shit. :) i never dated bad boys before LOL. and for what kind of charges did judge reinstate probation for..? jw if u remember

Don Quixote
01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
He has to have at least 44 points to be sentenced to prison. He gets points for the offenses of which he is convicted, for doing them while on probation, for the nature and severity of the injury, etc.

You do not say whatthe VOP is for and whether it involves a separate crime. That does matter.

srod
01-11-2008, 05:00 PM
My man was given 5 years, 5months and 17 days for his first technical VOP (dirty urine). In broward county.. It depends as much on who your judge is and the state attorney. The lawyer was close to getting him into a program, which would have been his first and the state attorney was having none of it. His original charge was burglary.

DollarBillsWife
01-14-2008, 10:06 PM
My man was given 5 years, 5months and 17 days for his first technical VOP (dirty urine). In broward county.. It depends as much on who your judge is and the state attorney. The lawyer was close to getting him into a program, which would have been his first and the state attorney was having none of it. His original charge was burglary.

did he have a private attorney n who was his judge? btw dd he have a long record... damn i admire uj for waiting

bayside2006
01-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Do the points follow you to other states? For instance, if you move and get into trouble in the future, do they add the points up like they do in Florida? My son's crime was considered serious, so if he were to get into trouble AGAIN they automatically would get him 30 more points.

anjon
01-15-2008, 07:43 AM
My son got a reckless driving charge which violated his probation and he was given 15 months- his well paid lawyer said he'd only get 30 days in county jail:rolleyes:. The judge wanted to put my son back on probation but the probation officer (a local drunk and gambler) refused (bad hangover I guess)- the judge asked him twice to take my son back on probation and then had no choice but to sentence. The probation officer has a lot of say in these VOP hearings.

srod
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, he had a private attorney, not that that helped much...his judge was Stanton Kaplan, he's the judge thats in a wheelchair and comes into the courtroom via an elevator, he was supposed to retire but..stayed on for a few more years..more the pity. Yep, he had a pretty long record, mostly juve stuff, but it's all points. Two good things..he didn't give him 15 years which he actually mentioned in court, and this time he comes out with no paper. He's worth the waiting for...
Good luck to your man, i hope it goes well

solayk
01-18-2008, 06:42 PM
My b/f got sentenced to 3 yrs in prison for vop in volusia cnty

DollarBillsWife
01-19-2008, 04:23 PM
has anyone had judge weistein in florida broward county... hes jewish

d4twenty
01-21-2008, 08:36 AM
My husband got a five year sentence for a VOP charge (which was dropped I might add). We're currently waiting on a decision on a 3850 motion to get him released.

CONWIFE
01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
my hubby got a 5 yr suspended sentence on his first vop. they next time they gave him the 5 yrs. it depends alot on the judge.

d4twenty
01-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I meant to say that the charge which caused him to violate was dropped, not his VOP. Hopefully he'll be released at our upcoming hearing.

treewife4
02-15-2008, 04:22 PM
My husband got a VOP and his sentence was 2 years but that was with a score of 57 months (recomended time) so really it has a lot to do with the score and the judge and SA he has

TLWWIFE
02-18-2008, 11:00 AM
It has to do with if it is a technical violation and if he had any new charges. on a regurlar tech first time they usually get reinstated. If he has new charges it depend on what the oringinal charges score!

anjon
02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
How messed up is this. My son is serving 15 months for VOP. He violated probation by being convicted of a misdemeanor reckless driving charge- which he was given another 6 months probation for. As he was in prison he couldn't complete that second probation- so they have violated him again! I phoned his second PO before the six months probation term was up and told her there's no way my son could complete as he was in prison. She said he hadn't done enough of his probation and that she had to violate him-HUH? She violated him, so now he's got a detainer. He gets out of prison in 40 days so I've been trying to get the detainer lifted- no luck so far. Its a misdemeanor with only a $500 bond- which we wanted to pay now and get his detainer lifted so we can go pick him up when he is released. It must really suck to be released -only to be handcuffed again and brought back to county jail - we'll be waiting for him with a cash bond, so he'll likely only spend 12 hours in there but still.
I phoned the prison and they said that as its a misdemeanor and small bond- county probably won't go up to fetch him, but we won't know until about a week before his release date. Talk about wasting tax payers dollars- I'm wondering how much it will cost to send a couple of officers in a paddy wagon up to the pan handle (at least a 12 hour round trip). As for the justice system- common sense is sadly lacking!!!

cwgrlnfl
03-03-2008, 07:10 PM
From what I have encountered here in florida.....My man vop'd 1st time they gave him 2 weeks in county then he vop'd again (stupid) and they sentenced him to 18 months so he went to state. again it depends on if they put it against his original charge or did it seperate. They put my man's back on his original chrg possesion of a concealed firearm. He already had 6 months time served so he had to do a year. Hope this helps. Also find out what his points are like DQ stated.

davidsangel
04-03-2008, 07:56 AM
ya mine was just sentenced for a vop his 2nd time and w/ all gain time and everything he'll be doing a year and a day. that was from brevard county. damn state prosecuters. but this time when he gets out he has no paper to follow.

rosibaker50
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
The first one he got 3 yrs. on a violation of probation. The second was a violation of conditional release and he got 31 months, the remainder of the time left on his sentence.

rosibaker50
04-03-2008, 01:46 PM
The first one he got 3 yrs. added to his sentence on a technical violation of probation. The second was a technical violation of conditional release and he got 31 months, the remainder of the time left on his sentence.

underinformed
04-03-2008, 01:57 PM
My boyfriend got VOP and they told me he had to complete his sentence at 35%.His sentence was for 8 yrs and he may be coming home this month.... His new charge was a misdemenour though. In TN

Jocenana
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
My husband got 15.68 months for VOP for posession and 51 weeks on the other running concurrent....if all goes well he will get out April 09..

Jocenana
11-13-2008, 06:58 PM
It has to do with how many point he has....each felony or misdeamenor has points and they add them all together...it depends on what Judge he gets and what mood the judge is in....and his probation officer.....my husband PO violated him twice for the same thing and he got 15.68 mths DOC and 51 weeks OCJ.....

Jocenana
11-26-2008, 01:49 PM
They can give you anywhere from 51 weeks to 5 years in DOC depending on the judge and DA....I know that in Orange county they are slamming VOP offenders, even first timers....sad!!!!!!

streetswifey
11-26-2008, 02:02 PM
I kno thats right... my man got VOP for a suspended driving habitual offender charge... the judge my baby got is a vicious one.... he woulda given him the max of 5 years if he didnt take the plea of 30 months! it just seems ridiculous... for DRIVING...

Jocenana
12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
My husband got 15.68 months on his VOP for technical...he didn't show up for his appointment....Orange County it really giving the inmates harsh sentences for VOP's.
Wed on guy got 48 months for a VOP....second one...he told me that they were running VOP's thru the courts like water and they were all getting harsh sentences...it is really sad the judges are being investigated because of the sentences they are giving.....

j2forever
12-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Yea my baby is 19 and got sentenced to 54 months because his p.o. checked on him and he wasnt home. that was in broward county fl. it really sucks he doesn't deserve it at all. and what really sucks is that he didn't even score out to prison time. it really depends on the judge and stuff. like other girls said, it could be a technical and still come out bad. just keep your head up and pray for him. its best to get an attorney.

krackergrl
12-26-2008, 06:38 PM
J got VOP last august for not answering the door on his PO in time, he went back and pled guilty and somehow they ended up just releasing him after a few months he went back on it after being released.. he violated again with local charges, and had to finish out the sentence remaining, plus his local charges, so he got 20 months, 6 of em being the volation

jonesin4jmj
12-27-2008, 09:31 PM
Florida has no remorse---any VOP he is doing time----4 months for what stealing a neighbors garbage can----1 year is what they want more money for them etc----

ILoveMyLana
12-29-2008, 04:12 AM
He has to have at least 44 points to be sentenced to prison. He gets points for the offenses of which he is convicted, for doing them while on probation, for the nature and severity of the injury, etc.

You do not say whatthe VOP is for and whether it involves a separate crime. That does matter.

This statement is untrue..I was just in court and seen a guy go to prison with 38 points. Also MY GF had 29.5 points and the state was offering 5 years with 5 years paper:mad:...Basically a max sentence. It was on a VOP though. The she VOP'd by commiting petty theft...lol...they waned to hit her with 5 years with a VOP like that. She didn't take it so they set a VOP hearing and she HAD to do an open plean..(where the judge decides)...She had already served 97 days and the judge said "I'm not going to give this girl 5 years for stealing 50 dollars worth of stuff from wal-mart".....Gave her time served on the 97 days and basically put her back on probo but added a year. If what the DA is offering seemes to steep don't take it. There was this other girl in there with her that got offered 14 months in prison on her first offer and took it then when my GF went back for her VOP hearing and got 1 extra year probo instead of 5 years in prison the other girl was kicking her self for not holding out and trying to get a better deal. That said it can back fire. I have another friend who's GF had some charges and the state offered her 6months in the county and 4 years probo and she went with an open plea instead and the judge gave her 364days and 5 years probo...so by doing an open plea she ended up getting an extra 6 months and 1 extra year probo. That said they were offering her a good deal with the 6 month cause she had left the sence of an accident with injuries and got a DUI while awaiting trial so she should have took the deal. MY GF was being offered the max so she didn't have much to lose.

leach
12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
This statement is untrue..I was just in court and seen a guy go to prison with 38 points. Also MY GF had 29.5 points and the state was offering 5 years with 5 years paper:mad:...Basically a max sentence. It was on a VOP though. The she VOP'd by commiting petty theft...lol...they waned to hit her with 5 years with a VOP like that. She didn't take it so they set a VOP hearing and she HAD to do an open plean..(where the judge decides)...She had already served 97 days and the judge said "I'm not going to give this girl 5 years for stealing 50 dollars worth of stuff from wal-mart".....Gave her time served on the 97 days and basically put her back on probo but added a year. If what the DA is offering seemes to steep don't take it. There was this other girl in there with her that got offered 14 months in prison on her first offer and took it then when my GF went back for her VOP hearing and got 1 extra year probo instead of 5 years in prison the other girl was kicking her self for not holding out and trying to get a better deal. That said it can back fire. I have another friend who's GF had some charges and the state offered her 6months in the county and 4 years probo and she went with an open plea instead and the judge gave her 364days and 5 years probo...so by doing an open plea she ended up getting an extra 6 months and 1 extra year probo. That said they were offering her a good deal with the 6 month cause she had left the sence of an accident with injuries and got a DUI while awaiting trial so she should have took the deal. MY GF was being offered the max so she didn't have much to lose.

i'm facing a violation for the same thing i stole 33 dollers worth of stuff. i have 5 years probation i only have 3 more years probation left. but i had 56 points last time will i have more points this time or the same. i have judge berger in st.johns and she said if i come back then i will get a long time. so i guess i'll just wait to see what happens

trotlb
12-31-2008, 09:27 PM
My bf is at Hamilton Annex on a VOP charge. He got 5 years (the amount of his suspended sentence). Good luck!

indycook
01-03-2009, 09:58 AM
My husband got 1Y1D for his first vop in pinellas county.

his princess
01-06-2009, 08:41 PM
my man is in prison for vop and some other stuff and got 1year and its his 2 vop. the first time they didnt really care and he was bailed out and he just had to keep reporting to his probation officer but this time they gave him time.

i know this is not what you will want to hear but this is the first time my man has been there longer than 2 weeks and now hates it and its really changed his life. i know you dont want him to go away but maybe this will let him know to never do dumbshit again. its made my man realize that he needs to change his life and priorities and as much as i hate being away from him. it will be worth it in the end because after this i dont think he will be back there again!...i hope

myantelope
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah its basically about the score sheet. My guy got 40 months for his VOP and his lawyer was trying to go for reinstatement, as you can tell it didn't work out that way. And the DA hated him because he got off easy before and the judge was mad because she gave him a second chance last time too. So they all add up for a sentence. But thankfully his time served helped him to only have to serve 27 months. And he has a detainer in Broward so we're waiting on something there to happen too.

cheemama
01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
My husband got 8 years for felony VOP in Florida. He just got transferred from Escambia county to the NWFRC.

kitata
01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
My boyfriend current has a warrant I think for VOP, i was wondering what can he do to get this taken care of while he is already serving his time in prison if it can be ran concurrent or what not, any help you all can provide me on this would be greatly appreciated. I would hate for him to be released just to be picked up again.:angry:Please help, if oyu have to PM or whatever Thanks

Jocenana
01-22-2009, 12:15 PM
My husband got 16 months for a VOP and they wanted to give him 44 months but he turned it down and then they came at him again and he told them what he would do and if not go to trial. He got the 16 months on one VOP and 9 months on the other running concurrent so one will be done before the other. They are handing down extense sentences for VOP these days. Its hard to do paper and not violate....

kitata
01-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Well his mom and are are going to try to write a letter to the judge to see what we can do out here, and then he has do be able to do his thing while on the inside.

jackeline
02-24-2009, 05:32 PM
points dont care because my husband only have points to be sentence 18 months and the judge give him 8 yrs for a dealing stolen property, he has never before go to prison. so i really dont know, is true all this is a big mistery.... sorry and good luck

jackeline
02-24-2009, 05:35 PM
my brother in law is a very big criminal he has crimes from a to z and he has go to prison 3 times and today he has been sentence to 6 yrs, believe he has almost 12 crimes this time only i think he was only lucky.

alsgirl4ever
02-24-2009, 08:29 PM
my man did for a drug charge he got 7 yrs but only has to do like 4.. or so but its in with his sentence fl laws are gay!

boop's mom
02-25-2009, 11:44 AM
The judge can give them as many years as the original crime calls for, he warned my son when he gave him probation if he screwed up he could get 35 years! So I guess he got lucky with a year and a day.

pbandk
02-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Three years. Original charge was Bat LEO.

jmperez21
02-27-2009, 07:12 PM
hey we're in Florida and mine got 32 months for his FIRST v.o.p. for driving on suspended license, they tried to give him 10 years in the beginning! be careful, system very screwed up here.

saritabean
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
here in FL my X husband just got 4 yrs for VOP. his was a drug charge and he'd already done 4 years of probation before the VOP. If only he hadn't violated every year he'd still be out. The state first wanted him to do 15-30 yrs. I agree with jmperez21 don't take a deal. seems like they are very screwed up.

pbandk
03-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Not sure how it works, but with my boyfriends VOP and new charges, he scored out to 18 months. He had previously signed a deal for three years suspended though, so he has to serve three years.

AndysGirl
03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
My Andy got 28 YEARS for violation of probation, and only a technical violation, no new law broken. I am heartbroken.

21months
03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
My Andy got 28 YEARS for violation of probation, and only a technical violation, no new law broken. I am heartbroken.

Wow! I am so sorry. :( My man went in on a VOP, was sentenced to 5yrs with all time served, he had a little over 3 in, so basically he was snetenced to 2 yrs extra. He met someone who was on probation, violated with only like 2 months to go and got sentenced to 15 years. It all depends on your judge, your lawyer, who they know, money, etc. It's all a big scandal in my opinion.

boop's mom
03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
OMG that is horrible! I am so sorry for you both.

klaporte85
04-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Mine just did 15 months for a felony charge. He's in now for first time VOP. Are we talking he can be sentinced to the remainder of his probation? Or are we talking he can go in there for a longer time?

boop's mom
04-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Depends on the judge and DA, he can get as much time as the original crime was worth. If he can be cleared of the violation charge then techinally there is no violation and he should get probation reinstated. There are just too many variables to guess.

klaporte85
05-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Mine was given 30 months, with a lot of gain time. Ended up having to serve 11 months and 20 days, and then he will get gain time ontop of that too, which is 85%. so about 9 months or so. He got his first VOP and he had it for robbery.

PrettyHott
07-05-2009, 07:48 PM
My man is in florida (broward county jail) but umm he's supposed to get sentenced for VOP (violation of probation) *its his 1st time VOP. the charge is burglary of a car (which is bs but ) i was wondering if any of ur bfs/hubbys got sentenced for VOP... if so, what time did they get?? (how long) what state too.

Thanks

DollarBill's wife

Well my boyfriend is serving his time now in Brevard County he had a VOP burglary and was sentenced to 18 months He already had time on that charge so he'll probably only end up serving about 6 months. Me and his daughter will be here waiting for him!...:)

tampamed
07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
My guy has to serve his 5 year probation in prison for VOP. The judge handed him the whole 5 years of course he gets gaintime.

Brittney Nathan
10-30-2009, 08:54 PM
My man got 18 months but he already served 167 days. It wasn't his first time.

pbandk
10-30-2009, 09:32 PM
3 years. They tried to give him consecutive sentences and it would have been 4 and a half. We lucked out with three.

tomszwifey09
11-03-2009, 11:55 PM
dollar - i believe it depends on the county, and the charge. My friend got a VOP on a battery charge & served 120 days.. My stepdad got a VOP on domestic violence and was sentenced to 90 days. So it depends what county, and the charge. [Both of these occurred in SLC]