View Full Version : Nyc Prison Phone Tricks Global Tellink

Vanessa11103
12-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share a few tricks I've learned while dealing with Global Tellink. This concerns getting calls on cell phones and limit overrides. This applies to DIRECT REMIT ACCOUNTS.

How to receive calls to a cell phone - Subscribe to CALL FORWARDING on your local land line, it costs only 5-6 dollars a month (included/free if you have digital phone line through vonage or Time Warner/Optimum). All calls can be forwarded to any number and you can pick up the call on the forwarded line as if you picked up from your home phone.

What if I reach my 30 Call Limit? - You can call customer service, be on hold for 30 mins or more, or request a call back. Ask to Speak to a supervisor and request for the block to be removed. They will remove the block, i t will be effective an hour after you speak to them and the block will not take effect until the following morning. Talk and receive calls as much as you can that same day. The block will come back on the following morning and you will have to wait till next month to get another set of calls, depending on your call limit.

How can I get More than 30 calls a month? -
1. Get another phone line, open another account and get another 30 calls from there. That is if you don't mind the extra cost of opening another line, paying for the extra calls, and going through the trouble of setting up another account with Global Tellink.

2. On the day of your 30th call, it takes GTL system 24 hours to update and place a block on your line. So if you are satisfied with the one call a day and have a 30 call limit on your account, you can have as many calls on the day you make your 30th call. The Block will be on the following day.

3. Keep your account in good standing, accounts are reviewed from time to time and the call limits are increased in increments of 5 calls per month. Plus, if you must have extra phone calls during the month and you've used up your calls early in that month, you can write to the main office and they are very generous with approving extra calls if they see that your account is in good standing.

I hope these tricks help. I am so glad that the cost of the calls are only $3.32 per 30 mins. Prepaid accounts cost a lot more because taxes are taken off the prepaid amount and connection fees are usually higher.

free sheist
12-27-2007, 05:21 PM
i have verizon will they block me too after more than 30 calls?

Vanessa11103
12-27-2007, 07:26 PM
I believe you have a direct bill account, meaning you get billed through your local telephone company. There are no call limits for that type of account. Direct remit accounts are accounts that are set-up when your local phone company (like most digital phone lines, such as what I have through Vonage) does not bill your collect calls, GTL is the one responsible for invoicing direct remit accounts that is why there are limits to the number of calls.

geneva11798
01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Actually I am in Suffolk County, NY...I have verizon and my collect calls was just blocked I called verizon to see what the hell is the problem...:angry:and was told that Global Tel has put a block on my collect calls !!!:blah: I have been trying to call them for the last hour and I keep coming up with technical difficulty issues.:eek:. I had the prepaid service on my other line and I went and got verizon thinking I will be able to speak to my baby daily but now this...and get this....I just got the verizon service MONDAY and today is friday.!!!!:angry:I mean WTF, is really good with these people. I need help. ASAP.

PBE
01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to share a few tricks I've learned while dealing with Global Tellink. This concerns getting calls on cell phones and limit overrides. This applies to DIRECT REMIT ACCOUNTS.

How to receive calls to a cell phone - Subscribe to CALL FORWARDING on your local land line, it costs only 5-6 dollars a month (included/free if you have digital phone line through vonage or Time Warner/Optimum). All calls can be forwarded to any number and you can pick up the call on the forwarded line as if you picked up from your home phone.

THIS IS AGAINST DOC RULES AND COULD RESULT IN YOUR LOVED ONE GETTING A TIER II TICKET IF YOU GET CAUGHT

WifeNicAtNite
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
THIS IS AGAINST DOC RULES AND COULD RESULT IN YOUR LOVED ONE GETTING A TIER II TICKET IF YOU GET CAUGHT

PBE is correct. Why would anyone want to risk their loved one getting a major ticket? :idea: :hmm: :cuffs: :no:

Also, IMHO it seems like an aweful lot of trouble just to get a block removed for 1 day - but if it makes sense to you :rolleyes: :hmm: and you have time to sit on the phone for those 30 minutes :shrug: .

Also - GTL WILL NOT let you set up more than 1 account per household. So I'm not sure how someone would get around that one.

Bee2
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I hope these tricks help. I am so glad that the cost of the calls are only $3.32 per 30 mins. Prepaid accounts cost a lot more because taxes are taken off the prepaid amount and connection fees are usually higher.

im so confused by this statement ... how do you get the 3.32/30 min deal ... and what's the pre-paid deal ... and how else do you set up an account without it being pre-paid ... i thought all you can was pre-paid ... sooo confused!! .... and the statement about ...

I believe you have a direct bill account, meaning you get billed through your local telephone company. There are no call limits for that type of account. Direct remit accounts are accounts that are set-up when your local phone company (like most digital phone lines, such as what I have through Vonage) does not bill your collect calls, GTL is the one responsible for invoicing direct remit accounts that is why there are limits to the number of calls.

what does this mean??? ... you can set it up with your phone company and not with GTL ... ???

geneva11798
01-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Called Global tel, the block was removed, short relief. because by thursday it was right back on.:angry:I asked the lady why and she said that my account has to be prepaid because I went over the call limit for the month (only five days of verizon). How the hell that happen I cant begin to tell you but angry was not the word for how I felt when I had to hear I had insufficient funds and could not speak to my man. sadly I hung up the phone and screamed out my frustrations for what was going on. So here I am again paying for prepaid calls that keeps taking my money for calls that wasnt even made. Two phones in the household one optimum and the other verizon and I still having to put money in advance on my line in order to speak for 15 lousy minutes and just when the conversation is getting good I hear that damn announcement stating I only have 90 secs left on the call and get this my calls is almost 5.00 dollars before the block and now. My man is just in the county, until he is sent upstate. One more thing I also asked if I pay the 100 dollars will I be able to get more collect calls instead of prepaid she said no:blah:. I asked am I paying Global tel for my collect calls or verizon she said verizon :mad:. I called verizon I asked who will I be paying for collect calls they told me Global Tel. Confused, angry and stressed. I spoke with global tel and asked if my collect calls is through verizon how come verizon didnt block me they had the nerve to act as if they didnt know they selves.:eek: I question the dumb rep. one more time by saying who blocked me. They said Global tel and then I said again who am I paying for the collect and once again she said verizon...I am making you confused right. That is just how I felt. I said why I have to prepay my calls she said cause I made the maximum allowed calls to my number which is about ummmmm 13 calls I received from him. I then said well I thought it was 30 she said it is 30 I said he only called me 13 times she said he called you too many times in one day and they need to make sure he dont go over and so I have to be prepaid. HOW CONFUSING RIGHT!!!!:blah:

Bee2
01-12-2008, 10:24 PM
wow im so confused ... so where your man is .. he has a limit of the amount of phone calls he can have a month .. unless you do prepaid then he can call you how ever many times???

geneva11798
01-12-2008, 11:10 PM
My man is in Yaphank Correctional facility. In suffolk county NY. We just suppose to have a $100 dollar call limit but it dont seem like its working that way. I know he did not make a hundred dollars worth of calls. Maybe about 35 dollars worth. if that much. I am just frustrated. I know one thing is for sure after all this is done. I am not going to put myself through such aggravation again.:eek:

Bee2
01-13-2008, 03:27 PM
oh my goodness a 100 dolaar limit for one month ... me and my boyfriend go thru 100 a week oh man ... i hope where ever my boyfriend goes theres no limit ... unless its shock cuz thats only 6 months

LadyValentine
01-15-2008, 11:37 PM
What is global tellink do they have a number and or a web site so I can find out how I can get calls?

kellu25
01-17-2008, 10:46 AM
i never knew you couldn't have the calls fowarded to your cell phone, why do they care! can he really get in trouble for me doing this?

Vanessa11103
01-19-2008, 07:07 AM
My man was at the Riverhead CR too at one point. GTL has only one way of connecting the calls to you and that is through prepaid. You prepay them either 25 or 50. You can set that prepaid account on your cell phone or landline phone.

For a 25.00 prepayment, they take out $4.50, so you have $20.50 to spend on your calls. Each complete 15 minute phone call costs $4.80, so for a 25 dollar prepay, you will get 4 complete calls and a call that will last a minute or two.

For a 50.00 prepayment, they take out $9.00, so you have $41.00 to spend which will generate at least 8 complete 15 minute phone calls and another call that will last 2 to 5 minutes.

Hope this helps!

My man is in Yaphank Correctional facility. In suffolk county NY. We just suppose to have a $100 dollar call limit but it dont seem like its working that way. I know he did not make a hundred dollars worth of calls. Maybe about 35 dollars worth. if that much. I am just frustrated. I know one thing is for sure after all this is done. I am not going to put myself through such aggravation again.:eek:

WifeNicAtNite
01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
i never knew you couldn't have the calls fowarded to your cell phone, why do they care! can he really get in trouble for me doing this?

Absolutely. He'll get a Tier 2 ticket which could result in box time.

It really doesn't matter why they care - it's a DOCS rule and you probably know by now they do whatever they want.

WifeNicAtNite
01-19-2008, 09:06 AM
GTL has only one way of connecting the calls to you and that is through prepaid. You prepay them either 25 or 50. You can set that prepaid account on your cell phone or landline phone.

Hope this helps!

Sorry this information is not 100% correct. Not everyone has to pre-pay. I for example have NEVER prepaid MCI or GTL anything. I have a direct bill account set up with them (they determine who gets a direct bill account and who has to pre-pay). I started with a $50/month limit and since I've had the account and paid on time for several years my limit is now several hundred dollars per month. I know people who have the same set up.

So the net net is that GTL determines who gets what.

mondababy
01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Global Tel is a trip...this is how it was explained to me and how it's been going. $50 gets you 6 calls for each 30 day period. $100 gets you 12 calls and so on. Even though the calls don't cost that much, they essentially just hold your $ till it runs out, you just replenish it each 30 day period. It's crazy and kind of a rip off to me because our husbands don't even use all the $ we put on the prepaid account! :( They should just let them spend down but that's not how they do it. MCi was bad, global tel has their evils. We're damned if we do and damned if we dont!

NewKid
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I am using gtl as well I was able to set up my home phone and my cell phone with no problem. Since I have my home call forwarded to my cell I received all calls coming in. Thanks for explaining the the length of time and charge for the calls. I am in suffolk as well, I don't understand why it costs so much to receive a collect call from yaphank when I am right here in suffold as well, besides that I received a quote from prison calls online they want even more for calls, plus a monthly fee. I would rather deal with gtl. That is to much for me.

There has to be a better way, it is really terrible what we have to deal with in order to be able to stay in contact with loved ones. thanks

NewKid

BabyCuz
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
My experience with MCI/GTL was that I started with a prepaid account and after a few months of paying on time and not exceeding call limits I was switched over to a 30 call limit bill. So I want to say to all of the "pre-payers" that it'll get better later, but there's no telling with GTL.

ThatOneChick
01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
My experience with MCI/GTL was that I started with a prepaid account and after a few months of paying on time and not exceeding call limits I was switched over to a 30 call limit bill. So I want to say to all of the "pre-payers" that it'll get better later, but there's no telling with GTL.

This is a dumb question but is MCI the same company as GTL???

Bee2
01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
i thought MCI was booted and it was switched over to GTL and all NYS Prisons are using GTL??? I am so confused!!! I have GTL now with my local county jail ... does this mean when he goes to downstate he can call me? and whats this all about the limited amount of calls a month or getting pre-paid ... right now im paying pre-paid ... if i want to talk to him i have to put money on the phone ... and some people are talking about having 30 phone calls a month ... anyone please can you help me with my confusion! lol ... i want to call GTL and ask them but from what it sounds like they don't even have their sh*t together. They tried telling me that they don't have a contract with the jail my boyfriend is staying at .. meanwhile they do ... and that's who i've been putting money on the phone with and the money has been being taken out of whenever he calls ... so i know they are crazy

Bee2
01-27-2008, 09:05 PM
PS ... i never thought id say this but i miss Correctional Billing

203mom
01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
GTL blocked my line after 5 days also. when i inquired they explained i had a 4 call limit!!!!! 4 calls in a month!! after that they told me i could now set up a prepaid. couldn't do it before, had to reach my limit first they said. set up a prepaid. still waiting. they placed the money on my bill instead of prepaid. and my calls are only $2. that was two weeks ago!!! they still haven't fixed it. i call every 2 days. all i get is the runaround. and i don't have the time for it!

WifeNicAtNite
01-28-2008, 07:03 AM
I am using gtl as well I was able to set up my home phone and my cell phone with no problem. Since I have my home call forwarded to my cell I received all calls coming in. Thanks for explaining the the length of time and charge for the calls. I am in suffolk as well, I don't understand why it costs so much to receive a collect call from yaphank when I am right here in suffold as well, besides that I received a quote from prison calls online they want even more for calls, plus a monthly fee. I would rather deal with gtl. That is to much for me.

There has to be a better way, it is really terrible what we have to deal with in order to be able to stay in contact with loved ones. thanks

NewKid

I think part of the problem regarding why you ladies have all this conflicting information is because you are referring to different correctional facilities.

For example - NewKid is talking about a county jail and most others are talking about New York State Department of Corrections (NYS DOCS) facilities.

NewKid and others may have been able to set up accounts on their cell phones because they are receiving calls from county jails and not NYS DOCS facilities (Upstate/UpNorth).

You cannot set up calls to a cell phone for inmates calling from NYS DOCS facilities. If you have any questions concerning that or need to see all the rules take a look at the directive.

BabyCuz
02-08-2008, 08:13 PM
This is a dumb question but is MCI the same company as GTL???

Yes, GTL took over MCI.

Ronnie
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM
This info was sent to me via PM by a member. Hope it is helpful.

- After the fax is sent to GTL for Optimum customers the blocked line message will still come on when they enter their phone # on the 231 #, but all they have to do is call 800-483-8314 and enter their phone # 5-7 days after their fax was sent. That # will then help them set up the prepaid account. If they keep calling the other # they will just get the runaround.

Lexi74
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Global Tel is a trip...this is how it was explained to me and how it's been going. $50 gets you 6 calls for each 30 day period. $100 gets you 12 calls and so on. Even though the calls don't cost that much, they essentially just hold your $ till it runs out, you just replenish it each 30 day period. It's crazy and kind of a rip off to me because our husbands don't even use all the $ we put on the prepaid account! :( They should just let them spend down but that's not how they do it. MCi was bad, global tel has their evils. We're damned if we do and damned if we dont!

Ok, so how is it that when GTL took over the MCI contract in NY we were all led to believe that calls would be 1/2 what we were paying before (in most cases $7.56/ half hour)? SOMEONE please explain why we are now talking about "$50 gets you 6 calls, $100 gets you 12", etc??? Why is that and why are we ALLOWING it to be that way?

Lexi74
02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Maybe I missed something along the way - if I did, please tell me... HOW DID IT COME ABOUT THAT WE ARE NOT PAYING WHAT THE GOVERNOR SAID WE WOULD BE PAYING WHEN THIS CHANGE FROM MCI TOOK EFFECT??? I mean, I know some are paying $3.21 per half hour call, but it is QUITE OBVIOUS that MANY are not!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THIS???

kickazzgirl
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
i am in ohio my b/f is in ny ... i had to do the prepaid thing and initially i set up an account allowing only 6 calls per month however i had to prepay them 50 dollars... since then i have only been allowed to receive 6 calls a month....i called to request more calls and asked if i could prepay more money to increase the number of calls they told me no ...that you have to wait til your first 3 months is up THEN i can increase the call number 5 more calls per month as long as i pay my bill ontime each month.... im confused why i only get 6 calls while other people are getting 30 calls a month ...does ANYONE understand EXACTLY the rules of Global Tel Link??

soloswoman
02-27-2008, 09:08 PM
it's nationwide.gtl is a big joke.incompetent uncaring personnel:angry: call your state public utility commission for help.at least thats a start. be blessed.

panth3r
03-14-2008, 04:37 AM
what happens when your guy/girl gets transferred? Do we have to change the calling facility info with GTL?

WifeNicAtNite
03-14-2008, 06:31 AM
what happens when your guy/girl gets transferred? Do we have to change the calling facility info with GTL?

No panth3r... (my answer is pertaining to NYS DOCS). My husband has been transferred multiple times and I've never had to call them to change facilities.

panth3r
03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
my son is at five points and has been approved for an out of hub transfer which he will request on his next quarterly.. .was hoping i wouldn't have to go throught this crap again...lol