View Full Version : Gulf Christmas Visitation Cancelled!!!!!

JMWASW
12-24-2007, 10:58 PM
AT 8:45 P.M TONIGHT THE WARDEN CANCELLED ALL VISITS FOR ALL THREE GULF FACILITIES. THEY ARE ALL ON LOCK DOWN BECAUSE THEY SAID SOMETHING HAPPENED AT THE MAIN UNIT. NO OTHER INFO CAN BE GIVEN.:angry: THIS IS SO CRUEL AND UNFAIR TO THE FAMILIES THAT HAVE TRAVELED LONG DISTANCES TO SEE LOVED ONES. VISTATION IS CANCELLED UNTIL FUTHER NOTICE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON WHAT'S GOING ON?

vquin
12-25-2007, 09:47 AM
When I talked to my son this morning, he said the same thing. He said there had been a riot at the main building and therefore, all visits were cancelled. I hope to goodness they have a change of heart, because that really doesn't sound right not only to all those who had nothing to do with it, but to the families and friends who traveled so far.

Valerie

Don Quixote
12-25-2007, 11:04 AM
My son said that they had been in lock down Christmas eve afternoon because of riot somewhere other than the annex. And that they had turned on the phones and told everyone to call their family and tell them that visitation for Christmas was cancelled.

jezz056
12-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Wow that is extremely unfair =(.Im so sorry to hear that.I would love to visit my boyfriend who is at the Gulf Forestry camp but I currently have no transportation at this time.My heart goes out to all of u.

mamaglue2002
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Thought I better contribute my 2 cents.......my guy is at Gulf CI Main Unit. He didn't call Christmas Eve and I knew something wasn't right
I almost got in the car to see him christmas but was really tired so i thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and wait to see if he called Christmas Day. which he did about 2 PM and told me about the riot in the rec yard. word is the guards started it he said but couldn't say for sure.
So now everyone is on their own bunks and in lock down mode till the 1st of January or until they decide it's "ok?" Someone must have been "miffed" that they had to work Christmas and took it out on the guys.
Their dorm's phones are on but not everyone's are.
Hope that helps.............nice way to spend our first Christmas eh?

jezz056
12-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Yea my man is at the main unit too.If they are on lockdown can they receive mail and send mail out????

Gino'sAngel
12-27-2007, 04:18 PM
They can still recieve mail in and out, but lockdown remains in effect. Several officers got hurt during the riot or whatever, so i don't see them worrying about families and visits right now.:mad:

This is the hardest time of year for inmates and families. Hope you all are able to hear from your loved ones. Gino's angel

Griegito
12-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Please can anyone with information about what exactly took place in Gulf enlighten the rest of us... I am in New York and it is driving me crazy that I have not heard from my man since before xmas... no phone call... no letter... no xmas card... nothing. Now I hear something about a riot!!! the FLDOC website states "no Inmates were injured" and that scares me even more... why would they feel the need to say that? I heard that something like 100 inmates are being moved... and the info posted on the website is current as of 12/23... naturally! the day before the incident. Calls to the Classification Officer have not been returned and what I guess what I really want to know is: what happened? who was involved and how do you know if your loved ones are safe? any info at all is greatly appreciated. God Bless to all and Happy New Year.

Griegito
12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
SIGH! as usual... no one ever responds to me on this site.:(

Tiffany061004
12-28-2007, 07:08 PM
72 inmates transferred after jail violence
Friday, December 28, 2007
By S. Brady Calhoun ("")
WEWAHITCHKA
Authorities have transferred 72 inmates out of Gulf Correctional Institution after a violent outburst Monday, prison officials said Thursday.
The inmates showed “enthusiasm” for the violence or an unwillingness to cooperate after the incident, said Joellyn Rackleff, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Corrections. Moving inmates to other facilities after a violent incident is standard procedure, she added.
Five guards were hurt, but only one had to be treated at a local hospital, Rackleff said. All five guards have returned to work. Visitation at the facility has been canceled, and the facility will remain locked down for the foreseeable future, Rackleff said.
Rackleff said the violence began about 1:15 p.m. while about 600 inmates were in the recreation yard. Correctional officers were trying to question and handcuff an inmate in a double-gated area that separates the housing units from the yard. Before they could lock the gate to the yard, “some inmates rushed the gate, took (him) out and assaulted four staff members,” Rackleff said.
Other guards rushed to the yard to quell the disturbance. No shots were fired. Rackleff said Thursday three or fewer inmates would face criminal charges.

Tiffany061004
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
http://www.newsherald.com/headlines/article.display.php?id=129

JWSPMS
12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
So how exactly is this the officers fault?

JMWASW
12-28-2007, 10:57 PM
who said it was the officers fault?

JMWASW
12-28-2007, 10:58 PM
who said it was the officers fault?

ThatOneChick
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
word is the guards started it he said but couldn't say for sure.
So now everyone is on their own bunks and in lock down mode till the 1st of January or until they decide it's "ok?" Someone must have been "miffed" that they had to work Christmas and took it out on the guys.

Doesn't look like it was the guards fault after all...

I'm His Mom
12-29-2007, 08:33 AM
The FLDOC Website posted visitations restrictions at all Gulf Facilites are being lifted with the following restrictions. Only inmates with a DC# ending with an odd number will be allowed visitation on Saturday. Only inmates with a DC# ending with an even number will be allowed visitation on Sunday. Visitation for Tuesday, Jan 1, 2008 will be evaluated and posted on Monday, Jan. 31, 2007.

JMWASW
12-29-2007, 09:00 AM
seems a little funny to me. there were loads of rumors going around....even on the officers website. doc decided to relesase that story, and for some reason everyone takes it as the truth. they would never lie would they? i've been dealing with doc for 6 years now. i've been lied to many of times. i've been treated even worse. hhhhmmmm!

Don Quixote
12-29-2007, 09:36 AM
On Friday, Gulf announced that visitation was going to proceed on Saturday and Sunday with odd/even numbers. They said the decision about New Year's Day visits would be made on monday.

Griegito
12-31-2007, 08:21 AM
This is to say "Thank You" to those of you who responded to me by PM. I am sorry that I got frustrated but I am so far from my loved one and things like what I hear went down at Gulf really really worry me alot. But, I do appreciate all responses and I am grateful to have this site to turn to in times of need. Thank you all and pleas eexcuse me for being impatient. Also, for anyone who may be wondering if their loved one was moved due to this mess... the info on the FLDOC website claims to be current as of 12/30. so if your man has not been moved (mine wasn't) then it is safe to assume they may not have been involved. My prayers still go out to anyone who was involved... guards alike... I hope that peace prevails. Happy holidays to all and God Bless.:)

Lesliezack
12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear this...But, it looks like prisoners fault no visit...hey they would have to have a lockdown after that..toooooo much liability involved...

bayside2006
12-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Griegito (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/member.php?u=94613)

I'm not exactly sure what kind of response you were looking for. :D

If you ever want to locate an inmate go here:

http://www.vinelink.com

Griegito
01-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Thank you. God Bless.

Don Quixote
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
We visited the annex on New Years. The guards told us that 100 inmates were moved. And otherwise we were told that one guard was critically injured, though that specifically contradicted the newspaper which would presumably have gotten that part right.

The inmates were still on lockdown, except for the visiting. And there were only about twenty visitors.

hissunshine
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
well my fiance is at gulf and i talk to him daily, he says its still really crazy there and many are on edge. its like the gaurds want to see them fail and break. my fiance tells me that he gets really angry ( and he does not control in temper well, don't get me wrong he's not violent, just really out spoken at times) but he says it helps to know that he has a family that is out waiting for him to come home. About what I heard from the inside the gaurds did start it, like i said trying to get our loved ones to break under pressure, so all i can really say to all of you is always let your man know that you are here for them so they won't get caught up by the gaurds ignorance. To the ones that had love ones involved i'm sorry, but i would try to get it investigated to find out the whole story, there is something we don't know regardless of who startrd what!!! what is the DOC hiding??

Mr_Phats
01-24-2010, 02:43 AM
Just a quickie quickie. I know this is a tad bit late, but as a first hand witness to all the activities. It was all cause by the corectional officers, and truthfully the CO in the center of the whole issue was still a TA at the time. The situation all could have been avoided if the officer at the center of the issue didnt let his lil brown uniform go to his head. The problem with a lot of officers at the Gulf is that they go above and beyound to harass people and push them to the edge. The Gulf also has no problem pepper spraying individuals wither they deserve it or not. They have gone so far as even faking an inmate beiong out of control just so they could break out the pepper spray. It is definatley one camp that needs to be investigated into, preferably by someone going undercover or incognito to see what actually goes on there. It was amazing to witness the things they would do when they knew they had an inspection comming or the folks from Tallahassee. Its also sad that they feel that a lone bar of soap smaller then a curtesy bar from the local Holliday Inn should last an inmate a full week. The bars were big enough to wash your hands two maybe three times before it was gone. The Gulf could find enough money to have their guards doing target practice several times a week but couldnt find enough money to buy decent hygiene. The place sucks. I just can not stress that enough

wifeofMichael
01-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Just a quickie quickie. I know this is a tad bit late, but as a first hand witness to all the activities. It was all cause by the corectional officers, and truthfully the CO in the center of the whole issue was still a TA at the time. The situation all could have been avoided if the officer at the center of the issue didnt let his lil brown uniform go to his head. The problem with a lot of officers at the Gulf is that they go above and beyound to harass people and push them to the edge. The Gulf also has no problem pepper spraying individuals wither they deserve it or not. They have gone so far as even faking an inmate beiong out of control just so they could break out the pepper spray. It is definatley one camp that needs to be investigated into, preferably by someone going undercover or incognito to see what actually goes on there. It was amazing to witness the things they would do when they knew they had an inspection comming or the folks from Tallahassee. Its also sad that they feel that a lone bar of soap smaller then a curtesy bar from the local Holliday Inn should last an inmate a full week. The bars were big enough to wash your hands two maybe three times before it was gone. The Gulf could find enough money to have their guards doing target practice several times a week but couldnt find enough money to buy decent hygiene. The place sucks. I just can not stress that enough

These are things to report to the Inspector General. I hope you do so. If you don't mind I'd like to add it to the stories I'm collecting for a trip to Tallie hopefully in the next month or so.