View Full Version : sop - Help with getting in the class

raz1969
12-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi,
My brother in new in the prison system and he was told he has to take the sop class. He was told by his counselor that it may take a year to get in?? His min. is 1 year and his ERD is less than a year from now. Does anyone have any experience with this and what to do to get him in? Can he take it once he gets out or does he have to before? I would appreciate any info.

Lions Heart
12-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Usually they make you finish your RG & C recommendations before a parole is granted. I know that they try to get guys in with early ERD's into the required classes but that isn't always the case. I'm not sure about SOP. I know that AOP is difficult to get into. Hopefully your brother will get in soon. He needs to keep kiting the Counselor about it so that they keep trying to get him in. Good Luck!

PTO-97580
12-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Okay, Coming from the Fed system I dont know what SOP is. I know there is SOTP, which is a Sex offender program but i'm not familiar with SOP. Can someone enlighten me please?

ilovecharles
12-13-2007, 08:18 AM
From what i have noticed, if the classes are not finished by ERD then the person usually recieves a deferral until the class can be finished. I know that some people petition to get into a facility to take certain classes and others just wait it out.
Good luck.

targettracer
12-13-2007, 08:40 AM
unfortunately, your brother cant be released until he takes the class. with only 1 year to serve on his minimum, he might be screwed. sorry to tell you this but its true. i just left there and i know how it is. he better stay on his RUM but that probably wont matter. its a question of availability and too many people need the class with not enough programs. be prepared for a flop.Hi,
My brother in new in the prison system and he was told he has to take the sop class. He was told by his counselor that it may take a year to get in?? His min. is 1 year and his ERD is less than a year from now. Does anyone have any experience with this and what to do to get him in? Can he take it once he gets out or does he have to before? I would appreciate any info.

targettracer
12-13-2007, 08:42 AM
sop is a sex offenders programOkay, Coming from the Fed system I dont know what SOP is. I know there is SOTP, which is a Sex offender program but i'm not familiar with SOP. Can someone enlighten me please?

PTO-97580
12-13-2007, 08:01 PM
sop is a sex offenders program

Thanks, thats what I figured. I do know in the MDOC if you are equired to take it, you dont even get a chance at parole until it's completed satisfactorily

EJ69
12-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Yes he does have to have the class to be able to be Paroled out. My husband is just finishing up with his class. Unfornutaly he has already been in front of the parole board twice and been denined both times because he was not in the class yet. I am not sure about it being a year before he can get into class. The problem my husband had was, is that the prison that he is in didn't offer it, but was in the process of having the program start up. It just took them longer than planned to get the program started there. Good news is that the program has been changed from a year program to 6 month program.

raz1969
12-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info regarding the sop. Is there anything I can do from the outside (calling Lansing or the prison itself) to get him in?? I was thinking if I started calling every day and became a thorn in their sides would they put him it the class to shut me up? Any advice who to contact??

Lions Heart
12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
contact his counselor. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets greased.

MomInMI
01-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Seems that whether you get a deferral or a flop depends on the parole board or institution. Have heard of Parr Hwy guys getting a flop who are almost done with the SOP, when technically they should be deferred.

You can try calling the counselor and education coordinator to see if you can get them to tell you where your brother is on the list, and when they project he'll be enrolled. Not sure if there's any way to be transferred to another facility to speed up the process, as I've heard some conflicting stories on the supposed state-wide waiting list. Some say it exists and you can be moved to a place where you can get enrolled immediately, some say you start at the bottom of the facility list when transferred.

If you don't get satisfactory answers, you can try the MDOC. I'd advise phoning and getting the scoop on who the person in charge of SOP is rather than emailing on the website. The people who respond to emails seem to have less information on the system than what I've read on their own website!

bluberry1020
01-08-2008, 10:10 AM
I know it depends on what prison he is in too. My ex was scheduled to start his in Dec a year ago. He was transferred to FC in Oct and has not been able to get into the class yet. His ERD is Jan 2010. So some have openings and some may not. They will flop or defer him until he can complete it.

Penny61
01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Does kiting actually help them get into the program they need? I mean,I would think they would just have to wait till their turn ,wouldn't they? It only makes sense to me that one with an erd of say late 2008 or 2009 would be in before an erd of 2010 or 1011. Maybe at first they are sent to facilities that don't have a program just to get them out of jackson and onto their more permanent place....it's just my opinion that's all..I know my son was in only about 4 months when he got into AOP. but was kicked out..after 8 months in the class...then never got his parole.. we had a good talk at his hearing last may about not getting back into aop and not getting parole without it.. Well. he has completed aop and got his parole when he had another hearing last nov. I really think that talk we had with the board member durring the hearing is what got him back in that class,because he was getting different answers every time he'd send a kite.He was kicked out the first part of the year 2005 (jan. or feb) and just got back in sept. of 2007..close to 3 years later.

Lions Heart
01-24-2008, 07:01 PM
yes, those that have earlier ERD's will probably be given preference on AOP classes but what MDOC is notorious for is missing people or forgetting. Sending numerous kites keeps them in the front of the counselors mind.

Penny61
01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
yeah i guess they can forget or miss people....