View Full Version : Does Florida Extradite?

LeesyAdams
12-06-2007, 11:53 AM
My husband is incarcerated in Kansas and has an old fugitive warrant out of Florida for violating probation (original charges were simple battery for which he was supposed to serve 3 years community supervision/probation). When he was arrested in Kansas the warrant came back as Florida declining to extradite. Does anyone know if they could change their mind later and decide to extradite him from prison after he's served his time for the Kansas charge (car theft--for which he's going to be incarcerated 13 months)?

Don Quixote
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
The only way to know for sure is to ask whether the case has been closed by the probation office (or ask them to close it). Or to ask the court to close the case since it was vop, and they've refused to extradite.

I doubt whether they'll change their mind. But I would not suggest that the person return to Florida, because he can be detained then and will probably serve time, unless the matter has been cleared up.

WorkerB
12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Since his charges are considered relatively minor, Florida will not likely incur the expense invovled in extraditing him back for VOP charges. For such charges as this Florida usually limits extradition to a specific radius (like within 250 miles or will extradite from neighboring states, etc). However, like DonQ said, this will remain an active warrant in Florida so it would be advisable for him not to return to Florida. If he is pulled over for even a minor traffic infraction or in one of the infamous roadblocks (AKA sobriety checkpoints) he would immediately be arrested for the outstanding VOP warrant.

rosibaker50
01-12-2008, 10:27 AM
what about a violation of parole for a serious matter? will they extradite then? he is in Louisiana.

LeftHereAlone
01-12-2008, 10:39 AM
My ex had a Florida warrant pop up while he was in Indiana, they didnt want him back and also made his sentence for whatever it was concurrent with the time he was already serving so he didnt get any extra. Seems like theyre busy with what they have already. I believe it was a probation violation.

sarita7997
01-12-2008, 12:12 PM
They most likely won't. My guy was marked as a fugitive in the FLDOC. He even went on probation in another state and they never got him. Florida would rather wait til you come back and slip up.

rosibaker50
01-15-2008, 05:37 AM
they extradited my love! i guess, that when it is a serious matter they do. thanks for all your responses.

Paralegal USA
02-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I can assure you that Florida does extradite for almost all open charges.

Examples of recent cases in which I have peronal knowledge:

1) NY inmate released to parole extradited to FL to face old warrant for burglarizing a car. Was in FL less than a week when case was reduced to misdemeanor and he was allowed to return to NY.

2) OH inmate extradited to FL on open misdemeanor warrant alleging driving with suspended license.

3) MO inmate released to parole in that state extradited to FL to face 18-year-old charge of DUI.

4) CA inmate out on parole for over 6 years arrested on FL misdemeanor warrant for simple assault. Extradited.

And to make matters worse, most FL counties opt to use Transcore for extradition. Oftentimes the person being extradited will ride around the country in the back of a van for two or more weeks before reaching his destination.

caligurl
02-28-2008, 10:02 AM
From what I have heard....they will not extradite for that. FL doesnt want them unless they are in their state....so I wouldnt go back there!

almly24
03-01-2008, 01:16 PM
You guys really shouldn't be offering your expertise when you don't even understand how the process works. It's not about the state of Florida wanting to extradite, thats only if its a department of corrections warrant. Its about the individual county in Florida wanting to extradite. Some counties will extradite for almost any felony, like I hear Broward County does, and some counties will only extradie on serious felonies. It depends on the county and how much they have to spend on extradition.

LeesyAdams
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
specifically on a fugitive warrant for violating probation.

Does anyone have feedback on this specific set of circumstances??