View Full Version : What can I bring in with me to Federal Prison Camp

barry333
10-23-2003, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone!

I was wondering exactly what are you allowed to bring with you, when you self surrender to a camp. The following is what I know so far.....

1) Trade my contacts in for glasses ( Does it matter what kind? Metal? Plastic?)

2) Postal money orders for phone cards and commissary.

3) Legal papers.

I tried calling Texarkana, but have had no luck getting any answers. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you

greyghost
10-23-2003, 01:11 PM
I was wondering exactly what are you allowed to bring with you, when you self surrender to a camp. The following is what I know so far.....

1) Trade my contacts in for glasses ( Does it matter what kind? Metal? Plastic?)

>>>> No, your glasses can be made out of anything you'd like. Keep in mind that whatever you have in your possession, or whatever is to be considered your property must be under a $100 in value. Or should I say, you must sign a form that indicates that you have no property with an individual value exceeding $100. If you have a $200 pair of glasses, and you don't mind claiming them as being under $100, then you can keep them. If not, you'll have to send them home. But as for material construction, there is no policy that covers this. It can be anything.

2) Postal money orders for phone cards and commissary.

>>>> You can bring in cash, postal money orders, personal checks, western union money orders, etc..... it really doesn't matter. (The BOP does not use phone cards, nor are you allowed to have one in your possession - it is considered contraband).

WHen you first come in I would recommend that you bring enough money to buy tennis shoes, radio, a watch, gym shorts, sweat shirt/pants, snack foods, and any other basic tolietry item.

3) Legal papers.

>>>> You can bring them in ONLY if it involves a current case that you are working on.

Hope this helps

GYG

Saddlegait
10-23-2003, 01:34 PM
I am sorry to hear your plight. Conspiracy did you say? That really rips. I think that is their "fall back" charge if they can't come up with anything else.

barry333
10-23-2003, 03:30 PM
They seem to be using the "Conspiracy" charges quite a bit these days. It is a lot easier to prove in court. Of course if I was doing the right thing none of this would have come about. So I have no one to blame but myself. Thanks for the kind words though. just ready to have all this behind me.

payroll2002
10-23-2003, 03:54 PM
What if glasses give me bad migrane headaches and I have a note from a doctor stating that, can I have my contacts as long as they are clear?

barry333
10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
I called the instituition I am going to a few days ago and basically asked them that same question. I was told that I will need to wear my glasses in, but when I see the doctor he can make a determination about switching to contacts, if he feels it necessary. I am in the same boat you are with getting headaches from glasses....due to my terrible vision though.

bonds0415
10-23-2003, 05:22 PM
My guy just went in Wed.on self turn in and he is in usp lee camp. He is in min. sec. only has a year to do. They only let him take his reading glasses and cash, they said m.o. would be ok if he had them too. He also got to keep his insoles from his shoes because he is flat footed. He called me today to say everything was great there, he has never even been in jail before so he was thinking the worst, but everyone was very nice and helpful inmates and staff. There are around 135 inmates there and it is a new camp. He starts a job tonite working on some equipt. they have there. His shift is 11pm to 6am. He took 1000.00 in with him, and they said he could spend $290.00 a month (not counting $60 for phone or your stamps)He sais visits start on Friday after 5pm and on Sat and Sun 8:30-3pm, He sent a form home for me to fill out to be approved before I can come up. That's all I found out so far will inform more as soon as I know.
PS Every camp is different but his sounds very liberal.

barry333
10-23-2003, 07:21 PM
bonds0415,

Thank-you for the info. I am going to The Texarkana camp and from what I hear it is about the same way except there is over 300 inmates. I also plan to bring plenty of money in with me so I do not have to worry about having anyone be responsible for mailing it to me. I would appreciate any additional information as you find it out. Thanks again!

Saddlegait
10-24-2003, 08:20 AM
When you get there, send out your address so we can write you if that is something you would like. You are a strong person and I respect and admire your honesty and your ability to reconcile yourself to your contribution to the charges. You will get through it and you will be stronger and better. Hang in there.

greyghost
10-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by payroll2002
What if glasses give me bad migrane headaches and I have a note from a doctor stating that, can I have my contacts as long as they are clear?

It's the BOP's call, not your doctor's. It doesn't hurt to bring in your medical records describing your problems with migranes and glasses, but ultimately it will be up to the medical staff to decide yea or nay. Even then, the Warden can still deny them if has a problem with it.

Good luck
GYG

GuestofGov
10-24-2003, 08:34 PM
I'm going to MCC New York on Monday Oct 27th. I called prison and they said I could bring contacts with me. I told them I haven't owned a pair of glasses in 20 yrs. (this is no lie). I do have a letter on a prescription pad that states I wear contacts. I also told BOP that contacts or laser surgery seem to be only solution to my astigmatisum. Seeing as I have spent my life savings on my lawyer. I'm stuck with contacts. Hell if they don't let me wear them I'll just do a nose dive split my head open like the WWF and try to hold them responsible.

Saddlegait
10-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Guest of Gov. I know exactly what you are talking about on the lawyer. I think that's there ultimate revenge as it kills them that you even GET a lawyer. Hang in there.

import2121
10-29-2003, 07:29 AM
Man, that lawyer part is no joke. Its like they know your exact net worth and just keep sucking and sucking till your depleted. I ended up paying more for my lawyer then my house. The rip-off is in the end you just get the guideline sentence anyway.

barry333
10-29-2003, 09:51 AM
Hey Saddlegait,

I do not know how I missed your earlier reply(10/24/03), but thank-you for your thoughts. It has been a long road with a lot of twist and turns, but it is coming to an end and i am ready to just get my life back to normal....whatever that is. It will all be new to me, but I will welcome it.

Saddlegait
10-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Yeah, our lawyer is raking us pretty good but it is reassuring to know that he is now taking the crap off the AUSA and the investigators. It has gone so far with us that one of our creditors who we owed for a truck called us and said "IF you had $xx... to pay your lawyer, you should have payed us first. It is not right that you took that money and paid a lawyer without asking us did we want to be paid off!" Well - DUH - where did they get that information. The hokey part about that was that we were not EVEN Behind on the payments for the vehicle, but they wanted to repo because SOMEONE told them we were trying to head to Mexico with it. It was a FORD and a piece of crap and if I was going to head to Mexico, I don't think I would have done it in a vehicle that would not get me there! The ended up screwing themselves, but the part about "they know exactly what you are worth!" is the part that ultimately eats an investigator alive because it makes them have to work when you get a lawyer. But there is also more that they need to be held accountable for. When do you go? Hang in there and give us an address or name or something so we can write you and hear about all the parties and drinking and dancing with the strippers - it is a club - right?

offpaper
10-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Please don't fall and split your head. If you croak, they could care less.

offpaper
10-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Please don't fall and split your head. If you croak, they could care less.

satguy
10-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Really, they couldn't care less!

kintml2u
11-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Hey Barry...I see you around. You hanging in there?

Was thinking...they have the birthday club and I believe a Christmas card thing too!
If you'd like...give them your number so we can let you know PTO is thinking about you!

Keeping you in my thoughts!

barry333
11-08-2003, 09:23 PM
Hey Kintml2u,

Thanks for the thoughts.....and yes I am hanging in there. I report on 11/14/03 by 2pm. So, it is approaching and an ever increasing pace. I am just ready to get this part of my life behind me and move forward. I hope you have a great night.

Tim

kintml2u
11-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Thats why I just wanted you to know...we are here!

redd263
11-09-2003, 11:18 AM
My brother just self-surrendered to Ohio and they wouldn't let him take in any money or money orders. They told my dad he could go home and mail them. All they let him bring in was one piece of paper with some addresses on it. We have sent 5 postal money orders so far (within 2 days of each other) totaling over 1000.00, he has only recieved one of them for 100.00. He is in Elkton which is supposed to be a minimum security.

kintml2u
11-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Is there a limit on the amount that can be sent in on 1 money order I wonder....does anyone know this?

greyghost
11-09-2003, 07:19 PM
To redd263:

If they did not let your brother bring in any money/money orders with him when he surrendered then they (the BOP) violated policy. National BOP Policy allows a person to self-surrender with any amount of money, or negotiable instruments, that they please.

I know that this doesn't help you right now, but they were wrong.

Grey-

greyghost
11-09-2003, 07:20 PM
To kintml2u:

There is not limit. However, keep in mind that the more money that you send in the closer they might watch him. Plus, the more money he has, the more they will try to take - of he owes a fine/restitution.

Grey

hkieffer
11-09-2003, 08:36 PM
US Postal Money Orders have a $1,000.00 limit, but thre is no limit on the number of money orders. However, there may be currency reporting considerations at about the $3,000.00 level.

bafriend
11-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Good luck barry. And yeah, look out for how much money is in your account if you owe restitutiton.