View Full Version : Can a PO Pull a Blue Warrant?

sandra8376
11-16-2007, 06:41 PM
My husband's case was federal, so I rarely post here - however, his brother is now sitting in county on a blue warrant (due to an arrest on another charge). My question has nothing to do with the new case...it has to do with something the PO has been telling us.

The PO told us that if my BIL would plead to the new charge (and the DA is recommending time served), then he would have the blue warrant pulled & my BIL could come home. The PO claims that it doesn't have to go to the parole board.

I'm confused, though...I thought that once the blue warrant was issued, it had to go to the parole board to decide to revoke & that the PO could not pull it.

Should we believe the PO? The attorney says that the charges against my BIL are so thin that he can get the case dismissed & that my BIL would be a fool to plead. We're caught between a rock & a hard place. We don't want the new charges or the blue warrant...but we also want him to come home as soon as possible - something that might happen if he pleads.

Does anyone know?

faith/pato
11-16-2007, 09:42 PM
I think I would listen to the attorney. The parole officers are an extension of the parole board and we know how much we can trust them

Kay
11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Sandra, when a blue warrant was issued for my son we were told that only the Parole Board could remove it. I think you are right to be suspicious of what the PO is telling you. If BIL pleads guilty I feel certain his parole will be revoked because of the new charge. In my sons case the PO recommended ISF but Huntsville revoked him any way. Let us know how things are going.

a_coleman
11-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Katy is right...only the parole board can reinstate parole and lift a blue warrant. If he pleads guilty, then he has violated parole and they will send him back to prison. The PO can not remove the blue warrant. Tell him not to do it. They are just trying to get a conviction.

sandra8376
11-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone - we suspected this was true...but sometimes you just want to move the process along, even if its not the right direction. I'm calling my sister-in-law tonight to let her know. She's been anxiously waiting him to get back home. Thanks so much!

RetiredPO
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
The Parole Division of TDCJ has the authority to issue and withdraw blue warrants. The actual decision is made by a supervisor. The parole officer only makes a recommendation. The Parole Board has no authority to issue or withdraw blue warrants.

sandra8376
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I wanted to give a quick update on this situation for everyone...my BIL's new charges were completely dismissed late last week. On Tuesday of this week, he was notified that his blue warrant had been dismissed and he was released right after lunch. It was the Christmas miracle his boys needed - having their dad home!

a_coleman
12-08-2007, 08:38 PM
thats great news...Im glad he didnt fall for their "trick" and plead guilty to something that he didnt do.

Kay
12-09-2007, 08:27 AM
That is great news and I am so glad everything worked out!! Thanks for the update!!

sonnysgirl
12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I am enclosing a link on lifting blue warrants. here is the run down of who can cancel a blue warrant and here is the link to read more about it. I recommend reading all of this policy for those on parole regarding blue warrants.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/policy/parole/4.2.2_parole_policy.pdf

Division Directors
Deputy Division Directors
Section Directors
Regional Directors
Assistant Section Directors
Assistant Regional Directors
Warrant Section Senior Program Administrators
Parole Supervisors
Warrant Section Program Administrators and
Regional Jail Coordinators
have the authority to cancel a warrant before a revocation hearing is scheduled