View Full Version : Contacted MDOC

Abrose
10-21-2003, 09:50 PM
I decided to go to the source to get some answers. I asked MDOC via e-mail if they were going to be releasing inmates early who had already been approved for parole. I did mention that counselors are telling guys that they are going home early - so maybe that will get something out of them. I don't know if they will tell me anything - they may just regurgitate the 'party' line. I did say that last year around this time they let inmates go early who had been approved for parole - so they can't tell me that they don't do it.

I was hoping that maybe some of the more senior people on this site would give me/us the benefit of their experience and searches. So if Deb, Mrs. D, and anyone else who has been at this "finding out what is going on" business longer than perhaps the rest of us - if you could let us know what your thoughts are.

I figured it was worth a shot.

mrsdragoness
10-21-2003, 11:36 PM
I think one thing we need to clarify and I'm NOT sure of the answer is just "what is early release?" Parole and tether programs are two entirely separate situations - don't lump the two because they ARE not the same - BOTH are conditional releases, but with different rules/regulations.

I do not believe that anyone can be released before their ERD...but in saying that... a tether is NOT considered release in that regard. Am I right or wrong on this???

Parole IS considered conditional release and again, I don't think they can be paroled BEFORE that ERD. Right or wrong???

And does anyone know if someone is released on tether - DOES that time count as parole or do they have to do 2 years parole after the tether comes off???

I think these are two areas that need to be clarified! I also hate to see a lot of you get your hopes so high only to be dashed. I have preached OVER AND OVER... hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Don't get your hopes on a date that you haven't seen IN WRITING.

On a personal level, its hard for me to see all of you get so excited when my husband won't even GET the opportunity to see a possible tether release or even make parole on his ERD. Its NOT your fault - just the way of the prison world and my own inner sadness.

Its doubly hard for me to see you all get so excited over something that may or may not happen. I don't mean to put a damper on your excitement....but I hate seeing anyone put the cart before the horse then being devastated when the cart breaks down.

Thank you Abrose for trying to keep us all level headed on these issues.... we need solid answers. Rumors and speculation are OK...but we also need to find things IN WRITING to solidify the rumors.

mrs. d

StacysWar030
10-22-2003, 10:14 AM
I think you are right on target with tether being so different than parole. I believe tether is considered an extension of prison. Meaning, if an inmate is on tether they are still considered property of MDOC and possibly considered still incarcerated. I could be wrong. But something says I read it.....lol. Man I wish we had it ALL in writing where we could understand it more.

Stacy

LeaAnn
10-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey Stacy you are correct my b/f was on a tether and he used to tell me that he is still property of the MDOC. He was supposed to be on it for six months, but it did get extended for another six months. I wonder now how much longer he would've been on parole beyond that tether. I think I'll ask when he calls me again.

exinsystem
10-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Stacy your completly online, my boyfriend was on tether before and they have told him that if he is released early that he will be put on tether again, so there is a very big difference if he is paroled, he will have more freedom, they don't have that with the tether

LeaAnn
10-22-2003, 12:16 PM
To update my earlier response he told me he would've been on parole from anywhere from 12 to 24 months after the tether was finished.

Abrose
10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
What I was told about "releases" is that it is against the law for the Parole Board to set a release date earlier than their ERD. I think if any of you have been doing this long enough you will know that when your loved one does get a parole - the Board was in the habit of setting the release date anywhere from a month to six months beyond the ERD just to make sure that they behaved themselves and if they didn't they'd yank parole. From what I can gather, they are not doing this anymore or seldom and that perhaps what all of the "releases" early or otherwise are reflecting is that they are letting them go on their ERD - not a day before and not a day after.

I do appreciate that tether and CRP are vastly different from parole but I don't think that is where all of our confusion was at. I think we just wanted to know who it was that MDOC et ak was encompassing under this "9000 to be released". Again this is why I stressed finding out if any of your loved ones got something in writing. If they did - let us know if they are going to tether, CRP or if this is because they were approved for parole. If it is the latter and they are going home before their ERD please let us know.

Mrs. D I am heartsick that what we have all been talking about is seemingly putting salt on your wound...I know that you know that we are not flaunting our good news at the expense of those who are not as lucky. This is why I hesitated even mentioning my husband's parole - I had very mixed emotions about doing it as you well know. I know from the various responses that I read that all of you share in our joy as much as you share in our sorrow...I believe that is a shared feeling by all of us no matter what the situation. If it were up to me - all your loved ones would go home...heaven forbid they should put me in charge :)

So again, I stress let us have all our facts before us before any of us starts planning anything for an early homecoming. I don't know how we can best manage all the information that may come back because it seems to be spread out over several different posts. If anyone has any ideas on how we can simplify this please let the rest of us know.

mrsdragoness
10-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Aw don't worry about me :D I'm just a hormonal crybaby lately. I'm happy for each and every one of you who may have their loved one home soon.

My time will come, then I'll be the one who makes someone else sad because my man is coming home and their's isn't.
Its just the way of the beast AKA MDOC.

mrs. d

StacysWar030
10-23-2003, 10:07 AM
See, I'm pretty sure now that tether doesn't mean early release. And you know, MDOC can use this as a loop hole. Rob said that because Genesee county doesn't have a CRP facility that they would send him home on tether and use our home as placement for CRP. That was only if he got CRP. And I do know that if he got SAI that he would spend the remaining minimum on tether after he completed that particular program. So it seems to me, that people who are on tether may be still considered incarcerated. And if that's the case.....then MDOC would NOT be breaking the TIS law. This is all information I have been getting for months and is just now beginning to make a bit of sense to me. Again, I could be wrong......this is just how I understand it to be.

Stacy

Abrose
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Okay so if I understand what all of you are saying and please correct me if I have this wrong....if someone goes on tether it does not mean they are released - it just means that they are freeing up a prison bed but the person is still, for all intents and purposes, locked up.

I don't think that I was indicating that I thought parole and tether were the same thing or even CRP....I was just trying to nail down how many were going out on what.

So if going out on tether is not considered a release; and
If going out on CRP is not considered a release - hmmm it will be interesting to dig further on this...it really has my curiosity up now.

Bear with me okay folks - and don't get upset if I seem to be asking the same questions over and over...but I would really like to be able to put numbers to things.

1. How many of your loved ones have been told they are going on tether?

2. How many of your loved ones have been told they are going into the CRP?

3. How many have been granted paroles [whether they have been give a date, a nfd or to detainer?

Then I can start to tabulate things and put up a post and let you know what I've found out....so if you want to just PM me with your info that would be great and we won't have to drag this on ad nauseum...does that sound fair????

Gee I must be sounding like a real obsessive compulsive. :)

StacysWar030
10-24-2003, 08:45 AM
LOL Abrose.....you don't sound like you're dragging it on..I'm with you...I want to know all that too. And yes, you are understanding it correctly. At least how I'm understanding things to be. Doesn't mean it's completely the truth tho, just what I've heard and some of what I read and now I'm trying to put it ALL together.

Stacy

RyansHope
10-24-2003, 10:02 AM
What about prisoners that were sentenced under 'truth and sentencing' how does this affect them? anyone?

Abrose
10-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Welcome to PTO - if you have not already heard that :)

For the TIS - that's a good question. It is my understanding that with TIS they don't get any good time credited towards their sentence so if they got 5 years as a minimum they have to serve that full 5 years before they can go before the Parole Board. For those not sentenced under TIS - they have good time credited so if they got say 5 to 20 - they would get any good time knocked off the minimum which would put them going before the Parole Board earlier and if they got a flop their first time round - the good time is then credited towards their max date. I hope I got that right. But I do recall that they were going to rethink the legislation altho they keep saying they won't touch TIS - one only has to look at the budget, the prison growth and let's be honest - you can only filibuster for just so long and then you have to start making concessions. So all the legislators who are walking around thumping their chests saying "we're not touching TIS" well we'll see. Not saying the law is a bad or good one - just saying that they are soon going to find out they have to be a bit more realistic about things. So if you have a question about TIS - that you want to get answers to - put it in the post marked "Questions for Lauren Hauger" or however the name is spelled.

Abrose
10-24-2003, 06:06 PM
I got the following response from MDOC regarding early releases:

It is always possible for the parole board to move up parole dates as long as a TIS prisoner isn't paroled prior to his/her earliest release date (ERD). This decision is at the discretion of the Parole Board on a case-by-case basis.

I sent them back another question asking what about those who are not in under TIS - and I used my husband's dates as an example. Again I'll let you know the answer but this definitely tells us that they can be let go sooner than the first date given by the board and earlier than their ERD.

mrsdragoness
10-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Our Own ABROSE is now PTO's FIRST Research Assistant!

She will be working on these very issues in this forum and PTO Administration wants to recognize those who work on "special projects."

Keep up the good work!

mrs. d

Abrose
10-24-2003, 07:44 PM
I am very honoured for this awesome opportunity to help all of you. Thank you.

RyansHope
10-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Thank you for your information Abrose

StacysWar030
10-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Well then I guess I want to know if I'm correct in thinking that tether would be considered still incarcerated. I keep looking up things about it and am finding the words "prisoners on tehter" but no real definition on the subject. How do you E-mail MDOC?

thanks Abrose for all the hard work here. I am also extremely interested in the facts here.

Stacy