View Full Version : Can a convicted felon travel to other countries?

BudBun
11-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Not sure where to post this thread, sorry about that. I wan curious to know if anyone know the law/ policy for a convicted felon traveling to other countries. My boyfriend and I are or wanting to plan on going to Costa Rica when he is released and I would like to have all of our ducks in a row before hand. I don't want to waste my time or money if it is a flat out NO. I have heard that it's up to the country you are visiting. I've also heard that some countries will allow a felon to visit that country but not live in the country. And I've heard that you have to be out for sometime before you can consider leaving the country. Can anyone help me out with this? I have emailed the Embassy of Cost Rica but I have not gotten a responce from anyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

NuBeginning
11-09-2007, 11:09 PM
It will also depend on whether or not he will be on supervised (parole/probation) release when he gets out. Most conditions of post supervised release states that a person can not leave their place of residence without permission and some under no circumstances can they leave the country. If he has supervised release, you might want to check the conditions of his parole/probation for your state.

merelyme
11-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Bud Bun, if you find out, please send me a message and let me know?
My friend was never on parole/probation, but I would love for him to travel some places in the world with me.

Cronesong
11-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Sadly y'all will have to leave New Zealand off your itinarary as anyone ever convicted of any crime for which they could possibly be sentenced to five years or more can never enter this country under any circumstances not even for a brief holiday
No exceptions ...tough eh ?

I'd be curious to know just where felons can travel to ...seems to me its an unjust life sentence in more ways than one ......

G_man
11-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Not sure where to post this thread, sorry about that. I wan curious to know if anyone know the law/ policy for a convicted felon traveling to other countries. My boyfriend and I are or wanting to plan on going to Costa Rica when he is released and I would like to have all of our ducks in a row before hand. I don't want to waste my time or money if it is a flat out NO. I have heard that it's up to the country you are visiting. I've also heard that some countries will allow a felon to visit that country but not live in the country. And I've heard that you have to be out for sometime before you can consider leaving the country. Can anyone help me out with this? I have emailed the Embassy of Cost Rica but I have not gotten a responce from anyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

i just got done doing 14 years in prison and now im on federal parole. for me we can't even go out of our district without asking fir permission from our parole officer. we got a so many miles that we can go without asking then after that we have to ask outr parole officer if we can go outside that district. And in fact we can't even go outside the country. That's a straight no, no. Probably tha answer to your question would be if he is on parole he can't go outside the country, but if he won't be on parole then yes he can. i hope this helps you out

BudBun
11-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Thank you everyone for you input. I guess I need to start w/ what type of probation is he going to be on first.

Thanks

janaroux727
11-10-2007, 01:51 PM
All these post are interesting. When filling out a passport application, does it have questions about crimes and sentencing, etc. Does that mean that when you receive a passport, it will have "felon" stamped on it?