View Full Version : Information about CMCF for women...

Winged-One
11-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and have read MANY, MANY posts. However, there are VERY FEW informative posts when it comes to Central Mississippi Correctional Facility for Women. I have served time in this facility and felt I could be helpful in letting everyone know how things work there.

First of all, when first arriving at CMCF, you are taken into R&C the same as the men. You go through all the same procedures as the men (except for having your head shaved :) Thank God they don't do that to women.) Before the day is out, you are taken to CMCF II B Building. This used to be for men, however it has now been taken over by the womens unit. This unit consists of huge metal buildings that look like storage buildings. You are automatically classified as C custody while awaiting the classification process.

While in CMCF II, C custody, you wake up at 5:00am, and everyone has until 7:00am to shower. There are 4 different zones in this building and houses approximately 120 women in each zone. At about 6:30a you go to breakfast. After returning from breakfast you are on rackdown. This means you must remain on your made bed. You are NOT allowed to lay down or sleep. To even go to the bathroom, you must wave your roll of toilet paper at the guard tower to get permission to go. You are only allowed off your rack (bed) during showers and meals until after you are classified.

While in C custody, the only canteen items you are allowed to purchase are personal hygiene items. I know they were attempting to allow a minimum amount of food off canteen for C custody when I left there.

The days are LONG, HOT or COLD, depending on the weather, and VERY BORING! You are not even supposed to speak while in this building. There is NO air conditioning in the summer and very little heat in the winter. You must stay fully dressed between the hours of 7:00am and 5:00pm. This means, bra, undershirt, and yellow MDOC shirt, underwear and pants, regardless of the temperature.

Classification is supposed to take no more than 6 weeks. But in all honesty, it takes the woman an average of 2-3 months to complete classification. I have seen some take as long as 6 months or more to get classified (I know, it took me 7 months as I was "lost" in the system. At one point I was marked as "Gone Home") Classification procedures are the same for everyone, male and female.

After you are classified into either A or B custody, you wait to be assigned to your permanent housing unit. During this time, you are not treated much better than you were as C custody, as you are still housed in the same unit.

Your housing assisnment will either be in CMCF II A Building...this is for inmates with less than 5 years and/or A&D requirements. OR CMCF Womens (known as the "big yard") ...this is for anyone with 5 years or more.

CMCF II A Building is the same as B Building. The zone your are assigned to depends on how close to release you are.

CMCF Womens consistes of 6 brick buildings, A, B, C, D, E, and Max. And your housing there is random and changed quite often. Unless of course you are in E Building which houses medical inmates.

CMCF Womens and CMCF II are treated as two seperate prisons on the compound. Inmates do not get to interact with each other in these 2 facilities.

NO building has air conditioning of any kind. If you can afford it, PLEASE put enough money in your loved ones account to be able to buy a fan. It can easily be 100 degrees in the buildings in the summer (especially in CMCF II)

Also, I don't know how it works in the other facilities, but every time an inmate is sick and puts in what is known as a "sick call" $3.00 is deducted from the inmates account. I heard that amount was going up to $5 or $6. Also, there is a charge for the law library too but I don't remember how much it is. My friend who is there will never be able to order off canteen because her inmate account is -$1670.00 due to sick calls and the law library when she was working on a sentence reduction.

Also, I have read many posts that have said there is schooling available for the inmates. First of all, any inmate housed in CMCF II is not eligible for classes other than A&D or another class that is SUPPOSED to help you get ready to go back into society (what a joke!!! You watch movies in this class and not much else) As for classes at CMCF Womens, they are next to impossible to get into unless you are a lifer. I know a girl who has been sentenced at least 6 times, has no education and can't even get into GED classes because her sentences have been less than 10 years.

There is NO way to earn money at CMCF for females. They used to have MPI that paid about .25 an hour for the women. Only a hand full of women ever got to work there at any given time and as I last knew, that program had been discontinued.

Inmates are only given a bar of lye soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste for personal hygiene. The rest rest must be bought off canteen or you do without.

If you have no one on the outside to send money to you, the Chaplian will give you deodorent, sometimes lotion and shampoo twice a year. You can also get 1 stamp, 1 envelope and 3 sheets of paper once a month if you are determined to be indegent.

By what all I have read, it seems to be better for the men in MS prisons than it is for the women. Most women do not go to school and most do not get to work to earn good time because of how few jobs there are for the women.

Okay, I guess I have made this post long enough already. So I guess I'll stop now. If anyone has any questions I can help with, please contact me. If I don't already know the answer, I have a female friend at CMCF who calls me once a week and I can get your question answered through her.

Good luck to all who have loved ones in the system.

Mrs.Glamma
11-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Winged-One,
Welcome to PTO and the Mississippi Forum and THANK YOU for such an informative post.
We look forward to having you join in and for your support and information.

PTO-29412
11-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Thank you for posting this information - it is greatly appreciated.

acekompute
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the information. I am trying to locate my daughter. Franklin County told me that they transfered her on 11/8 to Rankin. However I find nothing on MDOC about her. I would like to get information so I can correspond with her. Any help I can get locating her would be appreciated. I would appreciate prayers for her. God Bless you all.

Winged-One
11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the information. I am trying to locate my daughter. Franklin County told me that they transfered her on 11/8 to Rankin. However I find nothing on MDOC about her. I would like to get information so I can correspond with her. Any help I can get locating her would be appreciated. I would appreciate prayers for her. God Bless you all.

The address of CMCF is:
Inmate Name MDOC #
CMCF (Put II if she just got there) (Letter of buildng) Building
PO Box 88550
Pearl, MS 39288

Winged-One
11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Just thought I would post this updaate for all since I had earlier stated that inmates requesting medical services would be charged $3.00 for each request for medical attention (They still charge the inmate even if the inmate cancels the request):

1. The following procedures will apply in regards to payment for medical services:

A. All offenders will be charged a six dollar ($6.00) fee for each self-initiated request for medical, dental, and mental health services. The Offender Accounts Department deducts this fee, and any questions in reference to a medical fee should be referred to the Offender Accounts Department.

B. No offender will be refused medical, mental health, dental services, and prescription or other drugs necessary for basic health because of financial status.

C. Indigent offenders are those offenders not having sufficient funds to pay the assessed fee at the time of receipt of health care services. Indigent offenders will be assessed all current funds available in their account and will owe the balance, with their account placed on hold pending future receipt of funds.

2. Offenders will not be charged for the following scheduled services:

A. Referral or scheduled return visits resulting from the initial request until released from care by the responsible health care authority. After release from care for an injury or illness, subsequent unscheduled self-initiated requests for treatment for that injury or illness may be chargeable.

B. Physicals and health assessments for transfer, lab work, X-rays, immunizations, Tuberculosis testing, Hepatitis B vaccine, treatments instituted by the institution/ facility for public health reasons, initial assessments, prenatal care, work related injuries or illnesses.

I-Care
11-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks "Winged One".. I will add "IF" it is a follow up visit have your love one BE SURE that is stated and they will not be charged a second time for "follow up's".. Many have told me they were charged but they did not know to ask that it be classified as a "follow up" when it really is a follow up appointment.

You said 3 dollars but it says 6 dollars and I thought that had been the fee for awhile now...

Mrs.Glamma
11-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Update: The fee has been $6 for quite some time.

sherrisgrl
07-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Thanks! I have been wondering just how things work there. We talk every day, but the very last thing it seems she wants to talk about is anything that goes on in there. I do have one question, though, I missed the deadline for turning in visitation forms because I too was locked up in Rankin County. If she sent her visitation forms out in March last time when will she get them again?

msearp99
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
SherriGrl -- The visitation forms are mailed from the in offender every 6 mths. So if March was the last re-up month, then September should be the next time you can submit a visit form.

It's my understanding as long as the forms are received at the visiting location they are to be processed timely and you can call the facility, ask for the visitation clerk to confirm you are in the system and approved.

Thanks! I have been wondering just how things work there. We talk every day, but the very last thing it seems she wants to talk about is anything that goes on in there. I do have one question, though, I missed the deadline for turning in visitation forms because I too was locked up in Rankin County. If she sent her visitation forms out in March last time when will she get them again?

mandalove101687
08-24-2010, 10:44 AM
So are there absolutely NO work centers for the women? I'm going in in December and most likely will get classified as A-out because my boyfriend and I got charged with the same charges and he was recently classified as A-out and has already been moved to a really really nice work center. I have been looking everywhere trying to find some type of information on work centers for women and have found nothing. I know there is a Flowood Restitution Center but is that reserved only for the women who have to pay back restitution? If anyone can give me some info on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to know I'll have to spend my ENTIRE stay at CMCF. I've heard the conditions there are absolutely horrible. Thanks.

msearp99
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
mandalove101687--
I don't know the answer to that- maybe you could start a new thread asking about Restitution Centers in MS -- and get a reply.