View Full Version : Any Info about Hutchins Unit - Texas State Jail

1Butterfly
10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Recieved a letter today from husband, stating that he was being moved this past sunday to Hutchins Unit near Dallas. I am almost scared to ask "What this prison is like?" Is it max or min. security, what is it's reputation? And what is visitation like there? Are the conditions worse there? Anyone with any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sincerely,
Crystal

Kay
11-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Crystal, I'm sorry no one has been able to help you with your question. I don't know anything about this unit either. Here is a link from the TDCJ website that might help you some.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/unitdirectory/hj.htm

amiyah08
01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
My boyfriend has been in Hutchins a few days and I was wondering how can i get an address to write him and if and when I can visit him do I have to be on some sort of card like in county?

abrister
01-09-2008, 10:34 AM
go to the tdcj website and it has all the address of the units and the phone numbers. call the unit and they will tell you if you are on his list. also you can get his tdc# if you don't already have it.

amiyah08
01-09-2008, 10:48 AM
My baby's father is in Hutchins and i also wanted to know what it was like

Jillian
01-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I am going to move this to the texas form where you will get the help you need .. You will need to be on an approved visitation list and also need a valid state id and or license in order to visit. If you are under 18 you have to have a parent present

amiyah08
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I just wanted to know was there a lot of fighting and violence going on in there

Glenn's mom
01-17-2008, 02:14 PM
My son was there and it was one of the nicer places. All the guards and staff were very nice. Visitation was great. He moved and I was going to write a letter to Hutchins saying how nice they were and how they didn't treat guest like criminals.

buddy&gina
11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I am hoping to answer some of your questions. the facility seems to be well taken care of. The staff is really nice for the most part. I have been up several times for contact visits. You can take in change for the vending machines, other than that, your keys and ID is all they will let you bring in. You will go thru a good search before you can enter. It takes about 20-30 min to get in. but you get a 2 hour contact visit after the inmate has been there 30 days. (that is if you are a wife, child, or parent) I think all others are window visits, but you can callt o find out. As far as mailing, you can send some pictures and paper only to his name, and inmate # @ 1500 E Langdon Rd, Dallas, TX 75241. if you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer if i can.

oneroguetxn
11-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Hey Crystal,

I spent 2 years at Hutchins, and it's not that bad. The food is lousy, there is very little heat in the winter and no AC in the dorms, but other than that, it's not bad. The C.O.'s are okay; not a lot of power trips. Visitation is by the book and the vending machines are usually well stocked. Commissary isn't bad, but getting there can sometimes be a hassle.
Hope this helps.

R

Wesley's Wife
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Recieved a letter today from husband, stating that he was being moved this past sunday to Hutchins Unit near Dallas. I am almost scared to ask "What this prison is like?" Is it max or min. security, what is it's reputation? And what is visitation like there? Are the conditions worse there? Anyone with any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sincerely,
Crystal
I am not too sure how all are treated, But my Husband has not been able to keep his food down and they won't do anything for him. I have been talking to the medical person Mrs. Murphy and she is going to see that he gets the meds. It has been almost a month and he can't keep his food down. I will make sure he does get attention or I will get a lawyer on this.They don't have a bad rep but I will give them on. Good Luck.

Sincerely,

Wesley's Wife

joseph's mom
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
My son has been at Hutchins for a year now. It is not bad at all he tells me. They are strict on the visits, but overall the staff has always been very nice. Only thing you can take in is the change in a baggie, and if you have a baby, 1-2 diapers, a couple wipes, if you have a toddler, a clear sippy cup. It's hot in the summer and so far he tells me it hasn't been to cold in the winter. The food is ok, he tells me. On the vending machines, believe me, it's awful, yes there will be 2-3 well stocked, but they are always out of order! There will be at least 2-3 of them like this. And the ones that are working are just about empty all the time. They have in/out visitation for contact visits. Plus the regular visits thru the window. Over all, what i hear about other units, Hutchins is good. Since that lockdown on all that cell phone issues and that, now they search you, pat you down, take your shoes off, go thru the metal device, and it normally takes maybe 30 minutes or so to be with your loved one. Unless there is a shift-change or something like that, it might take a little longer. Hopefully i helped some one. Good day

ndcollins
01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
My husband was in Hutchins for about 6months and he said it wasnt that bad but if someone in the pod acted up and didnt confess they were all stripped in front of everyone and made walk back to the pod like that. No heat in winter no a/c in summer and very little to keep warm if it does get cold.He said the food was horrible except for Sunday breakfast it was ok. The rest of the time the got alot of gravy he wont touch the stuff now. I dont know much about visitation because I refused to visit him and He came out alot better man. The has straightened up alot.MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONE

Heavenly Faith
02-07-2009, 05:58 PM
My son has been at hutchins for a year now, he is getting his GED and attending other classes. He is doing fine, it is located in Dallas county off of intersate 20 and the exit of JJ LEMON before hwy 45. on langdon road. the comple address is 1500 E. Langdon RD. Dallas TX. 75241 . Remember to put their tdcj number.on the letter or they wont get the mail.Visiting is good but go inthe morningand you can only visit on week ends from 8 am to 5 pm. for 2 hrs. I hope this helps some if you have any thing else please feel free to ask. i hope i can be of help.

jabjab
05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I was wondering if someone could help me. So I am gay and my loved one is in Hutchins State Jail. I am on his visitors list and would like to go for a contact visit since he is my partner and all. I am not sure how this is going to work, if at all. Can anybody give me any advice or help me out?

pmartin
07-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Sincerely,
CrystalMy husband was in Hutchins before moving him to Bradshaw. Hutchins is min security and is an easy drive there. It is a clean facility and for the most part all the officers are nice. I had at least one that I didnt care for,but I was going to see my husband and I didnt let it spoil my visit. They have a small visiting area inside and at times the noise is awfull, they have visits outside when the heat isnt so bad that the officer doesnt mind sitting outside. They are very strict with the dress code, so if u arent sure that what ur wearing,bring a t-shirt. No flip flops and make sure that ur change is loose in a baggie. No sunglasses,cell phones,candy etc... As far as reputation goes I have yet to hear any good comments on any facility. I believe that u will be satisfied with it.

shimozakiashley
06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I am hoping to answer some of your questions. the facility seems to be well taken care of. The staff is really nice for the most part. I have been up several times for contact visits. You can take in change for the vending machines, other than that, your keys and ID is all they will let you bring in. You will go thru a good search before you can enter. It takes about 20-30 min to get in. but you get a 2 hour contact visit after the inmate has been there 30 days. (that is if you are a wife, child, or parent) I think all others are window visits, but you can callt o find out. As far as mailing, you can send some pictures and paper only to his name, and inmate # @ 1500 E Langdon Rd, Dallas, TX 75241. if you have any more questions, I would be happy to answer if i can.
I have a question... Okay I have the address but i don't know the order or what all im supposta put on the front of the envolope..? Can you help me...?

mrsb1212
08-11-2010, 01:22 AM
does any one no how gettin their ged in their or do they have to get approved im not sure how the programs in their work any info is helpful thanks

mrsb1212
08-11-2010, 01:24 AM
you put their name next to their num in some cases under their name you put the tank num then the address thats how i send mine but he is still in county for a couple more days