View Full Version : Ohio Reformatory for Women-Marysville

VsMom
10-27-2007, 07:22 PM
My daughter is in getting ready to be transferred to ORW and I'm interested in any information that I can relay to her that will make her entry easier. Anything!?

twingirls05
10-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, "HALE" or admissions (the first thirty days) is the worst. Be ready to not hear from her for about 7-10 days....it takes a while to get the phone pin number they assign you so she can call out. Send her envelopes (Embossed ones from the post office, they are 50 cents each), three env. per letter, as well as three pics per letter (no bigger than 5x7s). You can send her money, they are very picky about how the money order is filled out, have her send you the handout they give her. The rules change constantly there....the only constant thing is change. It's a traumatic experience, just be there to listen and support her. I just did 6 1/2 months, I am out on Judicial release, if you have questions, just ask.

rottn
10-28-2007, 03:09 PM
My niece and sister-in-law are both there and I have to do things different all the time. Just keep up on the rules.

riecan1
04-14-2008, 02:05 PM
My Ex Wife is in there and I worry like hell about her. PLEASE NO ONE HURT HER...

rottn
04-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Hello riecan1. Welcome to PTO and the Ohio forum. I will get a PM to you.

lmma
05-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Newcomer 2
My daughter was just transferred there 3 days ago, I have no information about her, have not heard from her, and have no idea what to expect, or where to get information from, anyone that can guide us, we will be very thankful.

Vinedyta
05-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Imma I was in Marysville for 3 years before being moved to NEPRC in Cleveland. I still have friend in Marysville so when she calls I can ask her things to get me up to date.
First she (your daughter) is in Hale (a huge dorm) for admissions here they do educational testing and medical clearance on you as well as classify you to a security status once all of that is done she will be either moved to population or another institution this can take 40 days to almost 3 mos.
It will take a week for her number to be added to the phone system and your number put on her allowed list I am not sure how it works when you first go in but I get automated calls asking if my friends can add me to their approved calling lists.
You will need birth certifcates copied to get on her approved visiting list. You can keep keeping the odrc offender search website to get her # so You can write to her.
It could be as long as ten days before you hear from her. Please ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer them if I don't know the answer I will try to find it.
You and you family are in my prayers.

Remorseful1
08-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Vinedyta,

Your posts have been most helpful in preparing me for what could possibly be my fate. I read something about a person being "chronic care". Can you tell me more about this? I have the feeling I would be classified as chronic care. I am on SSDI for "multiple chronic diseases".

bett59
08-20-2008, 01:43 AM
My daughter is in getting ready to be transferred to ORW and I'm interested in any information that I can relay to her that will make her entry easier. Anything!?
my daughter was sent there too, a few weeks ago, i sit most of night thing of her.

bett59
10-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Imma I was in Marysville for 3 years before being moved to NEPRC in Cleveland. I still have friend in Marysville so when she calls I can ask her things to get me up to date.
First she (your daughter) is in Hale (a huge dorm) for admissions here they do educational testing and medical clearance on you as well as classify you to a security status once all of that is done she will be either moved to population or another institution this can take 40 days to almost 3 mos.
It will take a week for her number to be added to the phone system and your number put on her allowed list I am not sure how it works when you first go in but I get automated calls asking if my friends can add me to their approved calling lists.
You will need birth certifcates copied to get on her approved visiting list. You can keep keeping the odrc offender search website to get her # so You can write to her.
It could be as long as ten days before you hear from her. Please ask me any questions and I will do my best to answer them if I don't know the answer I will try to find it.
You and you family are in my prayers.
Hello, my daughter is in marlysvi,lle....i was looking at pic. evey night first the pic of her was gone from drc inmate search, next day couldnt find any thing on her. do yu know whats up? thank youi,it was the only way i could see her.

iamtrainguy
10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
my wife's picture online did the same thing. she would be there one day, and gone the next. it always said "incarcerated", but her pic would be gone. she had come back here to the county for a couple of days for a court appearance, so i don't know if that had something to do with it.

bett59
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
shes there , she no appointments any wher else :) but it said some thing about over use of this site...yu mean they know every time i clicked on. i had in saved.. i tried to start a new but cant get it... i wonder about the right to privacy, got any thing to do with it?

cindyp56
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Can anyone tell me how the visiting works there?
We haven't been there before and just got approved for a visit with our daughter. How early do we need to go? What are you able to do during visit? Can my husband go out to smoke and come back in? We heard something about taking money for vending machines. Anything will be helpful.
Thanks, Cindy

cindyp56
10-13-2008, 02:12 PM
We went for the visit so got all my answers! lol:D

DebD123
11-04-2008, 04:13 PM
can someone help me? I don't know if I'm at the right place. My daughter is going to Marysville in a couple of day (transported from county jail). After reading this page I know kind of what to expect. It's worse than I had imagined, I think. My daughter is tiny and delicate. I hope she doesn't get hurt :( Where do I find her picture? I couldn't understand the "initials" used to describe the location/webpage.

I found the webpage. She is not in prison (only county jail) so I guess she is not on the site yet. How will I get her number? Do I call the prison?

worriedmama
11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Once your daughter leaves county you should check the Ohio corrections website. In a few days she should be listed then you will see her inmate number and info about her out date and her picture.

the12blame
04-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Hale isn't Hale anymore. Pink world is in Hale. Now admissions is in MCC. You don't leave there for anything other than to eat. Both Shirley's are open and when I left about 2 weeks ago they were said to be ready to open Rogers 1. Rogers 2 has been open. Washington was condemned and finally closed with the lifers being phased into Shirley 2. It was "interesting" to say the least. You are right about the only constant is change though.

meg'smom
04-28-2009, 08:46 AM
LOL You are so right about them changing things all the time. They make me crazy with as many times as they have moved my daughter in there. Now they are separating the pink shirts by age.... Juvies are in C- corridor and others are ( or used to be) in Hale. Everytime my daughter calls she is being moved somewhere else. Now that she has gotten a new level she will be moved again and when she gets her green collar then once again.

the12blame
04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
First of all tell her to be ready to wait in line a lot. The first 30 - 45 days are the worst. She will be in MCC, which is admissions. It is very strict in admissions. Some of the COs are great, others, well not so great. In MCC she will meet Mr. Geeter, Ms. Dunbar and Mr. Large, to name a few. Dunbar and Large were my favorites. They were tough but fair. The first days are hard, scary and lonely. She will go from appointment to appointment. Tell her don't talk in the med line and just go with the flow. Once she gets out in general pop it will be much easier. How long is her sentence?

the12blame
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
I was a green shirt. After I got popped out of Admissions I called my mom and told her I felt like a girl scout that had just been through a flying up ceremony from Brownies to Juniors. LOL

meg'smom
04-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi the12blame,
I am not if your question is directed towards me however my daughter is a pink collar right now. She has been there for almost 8 months now. She is a lifer. She tells me it takes a while to adjust but she is also 19 so she is being housed separtly fromt he older inmates too. We are hoping that late summer she can get her green collar which i think will help her tremendously. She only spent about 12 days in admissions and then "popped"out into the " pink wolrd" ( LOL Sorry these names crack me up sometimes!:D)

the12blame
04-30-2009, 08:35 AM
When was your daughter in admissions? She may have been one of those we grumbled about getting out so quickly! LOL I have heard that pink world is "off the chain" but since she is housed separately it may be better for her. Green world will definitely be a relaxing change for her. Just to be able to go outside when the yard is open makes a difference. Even if you don't actually go it feels better knowing that you can go. Green world is fairly relaxed with most people getting along well. It's big enough you can avoid those you don't like.

meg'smom
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Ummmm I am guessing she would of been in admissions the end of September???? She tells me all the time the "pink world" is crazy. LOL She says it is better now that they have separated the younger ones and all she has a little more peace but we will see how long that lasts. Her and my foster daughter went in a weel apart and both are lifers both housed together. Neither one of them spent more than a week or so in admissions. I was told it would be thirty days too but when she got there i believe it was right about the 10th day they were moved.

freakedoutcincy
05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
I will most likely be sent to Marysville pretty soon. Is there anyone on here that has been to Marysville? I have alot of questions and need alot of help and advice. I am scared to death and dont want this to consume me for the next 30 days but I want to go in as prepared as one can be. Not that I will ever be ready. Thanks for any help

may556
05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I will most likely be sent to Marysville pretty soon. Is there anyone on here that has been to Marysville? I have alot of questions and need alot of help and advice. I am scared to death and dont want this to consume me for the next 30 days but I want to go in as prepared as one can be. Not that I will ever be ready. Thanks for any help
My daughter is there, and I have been there to visit, I can try to answer your questions.

the12blame
05-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Ummmm I am guessing she would of been in admissions the end of September???? She tells me all the time the "pink world" is crazy. LOL She says it is better now that they have separated the younger ones and all she has a little more peace but we will see how long that lasts. Her and my foster daughter went in a weel apart and both are lifers both housed together. Neither one of them spent more than a week or so in admissions. I was told it would be thirty days too but when she got there i believe it was right about the 10th day they were moved.

Their ages and the fact that they knew they were going to pink world may have made it quicker. After they moved Admissions to MCC they got more than a month behind in classifications so it has been taking longer. A stay of 45 days in MCC is not unheard of at this point.

the12blame
05-05-2009, 07:59 AM

No one is every completely "ready" for prison and each person sees it slightly different than the others. I didn't have a great go but I was the only one of those that I knew that had the troubles I had. I came in with significant medical problems and somehow slipped through the cracks. I was only there about 65 days thank goodness because I still hadn't seen a doctor and was having to go through all sorts of paper work to get through the process to see one because I had fallen through the cracks. I was to the point of filing a formal complaint (step 4). If you don't have major medical problems it shouldn't be a problem.

courtesy curtis
05-14-2009, 01:42 AM
hello please pass this message on to your loved ones or friends their is a women in marysville orw her name is tona delong she is in their for setting up a murder and child molestation but took a plea deal where she testifeid against her minor murders for a plea deal. well any way tell your loved ones or who you care about to watch out for her she is snitching on people in their so she can get early parole. her own step sister told this to everyone because she found out tona delong was sleeping with her husband. iam just warning people she will use any info she can get to get early parole. so tell your loved ones to not say anything that might get them in trouble.

courtesy curtis
05-14-2009, 01:48 AM
please beware!!!!!!! tell your loved ones not to say anything that might get them in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tona delong
she molested 2 children age 13 and 17
and had them murder her ex b/f and botched another murder
agaisnt another b/f she took a plea deal to have all charges dropped
and plead guilty to attempted robbery.
tell your loved ones to watch out her step sister said she is going to testify in some murder case where she says a friend in orw addmited to her she murdered someone. beware !!!!!!! tell your loved ones watch out for tona delong

courtesy curtis
05-14-2009, 01:54 AM
i hope your loved ones are ok and i will pray for them all!!!!!!
everyone makes a mistake not all people in their are bad!!!!
but does prison guards at maryville rape or have consentual
sex with inmates? i heard this from tona delongs sister?
i dont know if this is true she said they will buy them stuff from the outside
for sexual favors? has anyone ever heard of this or been in marysville prison
and maybe know if this is going on?

runningincircle
07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Haven't heard from sons girl friend at marysville. Want to send her a money order and envelopes how do we fill out the money orders. I NO SHES GOING THREW RECEPTION AND IT TAKES TIME I JUST WANT HER TO NO I'M THINKING OF HER SO SHE DOSEN'T FEEL SO ALONE.. Is there a seperate address for ones in reception?

scoopster
07-27-2009, 05:24 AM
http://www.drc.state.oh.us/web/prisprog.htm

mitski2003
08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
My girlfriend arrived there a couple of weeks ago and have found out a lot so if any one has any questions feel free to let me know

mitski2003
08-14-2009, 06:21 PM
My girlfriend recently was sentenced to Marysville and I have some questions. Could someone please *e-mail removed per PTO policy* to help with my questions. It would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

sbarfiel
09-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know at Marysville if someone with a 3rd degree reckless homicide conviction will be housed with those who have murder convictions?

MARBYOHIO
02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
My daughter is in Marysville right now. She has been in intake for 35 days...we hope she will be placd soon. Does anyonw know where they put 3rd degree agrevated homicide offenders? What is the differance between pink and green?

MARBYOHIO
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
could you please let me know if you ever received a response..or if you know the answer to this question by now? Does anyone know at Marysville if someone with a 3rd degree reckless homicide conviction will be housed with those who have murder convictions?

meg'smom
02-23-2010, 07:37 PM
my daughter is also in marysville and as i understand it there are only two other places that house female inmates. they are both pre release centers and one is in Franklin county the other is north east pre release. I am not sure of the criteria to get transfered to either of these but my understanding was that most of the female inmates with crimes that require more than minimum security housing would stay at ORW.
The color of the collars are:
Blue - Orientation
Pink- High or max security
Green- Medium and minimum security
Orange and Red- are Mental and DR

There are a couple of levels in the Green shirts and it depends on thier behavior and progress and level of felony.
Example... my daughter is serving a 28 to life and at first she was a pink collar for about a year ( High security) becuase she has not gotten in trouble and progress in levels she is now a green shirt. she will ahve to remain at the hghest level in green for a year then she can get it her level lowered again. The colors specific where they will be housed on the farm as well what priveldges they can receive.
hope this helped!

twinkie6556
09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
just let her know to choose her friends wisely. as a former inmate i feel that the friendly but quite ones that sit back and take everything in have the most success there they have great programs to pass the time and teach you skills for when u come home if she is doing more then 12 mos tell her to check out the computer class (cab) and if interested sign up while she is in hale best wishes to u both

twinkie6556
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Haven't heard from sons girl friend at marysville. Want to send her a money order and envelopes how do we fill out the money orders. I NO SHES GOING THREW RECEPTION AND IT TAKES TIME I JUST WANT HER TO NO I'M THINKING OF HER SO SHE DOSEN'T FEEL SO ALONE.. Is there a seperate address for ones in reception?
you just address it to her with her inmate number and you write Hale (the name for admissions) under her name then the address on collins ave.

recycler27
09-22-2010, 12:04 PM
just let her know to choose her friends wisely. as a former inmate i feel that the friendly but quite ones that sit back and take everything in have the most success there they have great programs to pass the time and teach you skills for when u come home if she is doing more then 12 mos tell her to check out the computer class (cab) and if interested sign up while she is in hale best wishes to u both
I spent 3 years at ORW--have been home for a year. My best advice for new women with a lot of time is to sign up for school (if you don't have your GED or diploma.) Then you can qualify for the vocational programs or for Columbus State Community College. I took the Intro to the Workplace program for a full year and it was fantastic. I learned valuable computer skills and brushed up on business math. I also spent a year in JG Cottage with the Dog Program and became a dog trainer. I also spent 15 months in Tapestry, a behavioral modification program for those with addictions. It changed my life. The bottom line is to stay away from troublemakers in the yard and always keep your lockbox locked. The more active and involved you are in positive programs, the faster your time will pass.

scoopster
09-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Dear Mr. Garrett,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Upon receipt of your correspondence, the Ohio Reformatory for Women’s Major, Phillip Elms, spoke to the mail room staff about the issue you mentioned. Major Elms found that the mailroom staff did return the mail to Ms. Hall to write a complete return address on her outgoing mail.

The Administrative Code that governs offender outgoing mail (AR 5120-9-18) does state in part that all outgoing mail shall be clearly identified by the sender's name, institution number and return address. Any outgoing mail not so identified may be opened and read for the purpose of identifying the sender.” While the mail room staff believed returning mail to the offender was the correct action as outlined by the regulation, Major Elms has counseled his staff about using good correctional judgment and as long as the offender’s name, number, and a portion of the address is listed, the outgoing mail should not be returned to an offender. In addition, as you mention, all outgoing mail is stamped that the letter is inmate correspondence with the sending institution's name and address.

Ms. Hall’s Unit Manager, Bonnie McDonald, spoke to the offender on Tuesday and the offender confirmed she had already returned the mail to the mailroom for processing. We apologize for the delay of Ms. Hall’s outgoing mail and have taken appropriate corrective action.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Wright
Warden’s Assistant
Ohio Reformatory for Women

Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:36 AM
To: Lyons, Irene; Moore, Ernie
Subject: This needs to be investigated at ORW mail room

I learned that ORW was not sending any of her mail to me because she had not put her housing unit (the hole) in the RETURN address. Of the hundreds of letters that go out on a daily basis, they find time to not only pick out the mail she had outgoing to me, but by doing so and returning to her for this absurd reason, permitted them to open everything she had sent to me in outgoing mail. Highly Questionable!

Irene,

I received this from inmate Halls daughter, which was also submitted to Clark Trevor. I/m Hall gets transferred to ORW, now her outgoing mail gets refused to go out due to not putting (isolation) on her return address. You have got to be kidding. isolation is temporary, and not permanent housing. (What if she did put isolation, now she is out of isolation) So will ORW refuse her incoming mail deliberately since she is no longer in isolation?)

So ORW deliberately refuses to mail her outgoing mail with no penological justification. Inmate Hall still had her name and number, NOT to mention ALL ohio priosn mail rooms will stamp envelopes stipulating that the envelope is an inmate coorespondence.

Therefore, did ORW do this to make xerox copies of her out going mail? If so, what was the penological justification( Chris knecht vs. Terry Collins)? Were the letters scanned and emailed?

ORW mail room staff also violate Standards of emoployee's conduct rule, no harassing, intimidating, harrassing inmates, and ORC 124.34, "discourteous treatment to the public", by their malfeasance actions.

Respectfully,

Steve

scoopster
09-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Sent: Fri, Sep 10, 2010 6:11 am
Subject: Re: This needs to be investigated at ORW mail room

Mrs. Wright,

Thank you for looking into this matter regarding outgoing mail. I am aware of what the AR's stipulate, as I have been doing this for almost 15 years. I just saw there should be no penological justification when mail is from ms hall going to her daughter .

I have one more major concern. I/m Hall's DOB is 1941, making her 70 years old. She is under your control and care, and pursuant to ORC 2921.44 Derelection of Duty, Section (B)(3)

"Fail to control an unruly prisoner, or to prevent intimidation of or physical harm to a prisoner by another"

ORW has a special unit for the ederly, therefore, why isn't Ms. Hall been placed into this unit? How do you expect an inmate at 70 yrs old to protect themselves, and their porperty?

So I would like to ask pursuant to ORC 149.43, public records, the following;

1) A copy of the ORW policy overseeing this ederly unit, stipulating qualifications, eligibility, security levels.

2) How many prisoners does it hold? How many are currently in it by race stats?

3) Is there a waiting list? (which I am sure there is)

4) How long is this waiting list? who is in charge of this list at ORW?

What is the main ORW penological interest regarding the aspect of this waiting list? First come first serve? or is age? Shouldn't I/m Hall supercede another inmate who is on this list who is only 52 yrs old due being 20 yrs older. Inmate hall is in for a non-violent offense, and has not been in one single fight. This is also her first time ever in the system.

Please clarify if this elderly unit is technically a privledged type of unit, and if you are 70 yrs old, ORW will kick you back into population for tickets, and jeopardize their safety.

The ODRC needs to create units like the RTU's which were created under Dunn v. Voinovich, but for the ederly state wide, and create policies for the ederly, call these the ETU's.

Thank, you for your time and consideration of this request.
Respectfully,
Steve

tboyle3
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Do any of you still have loved ones in Marysville Prison? If so, I'm interested in talking to others that know a bit more about the place.

jpride1
10-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Do any of you still have loved ones in Marysville Prison? If so, I'm interested in talking to others that know a bit more about the place.

I don't have any loved ones in ORW but i was recently released on July 23rd so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

tboyle3
10-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't have any loved ones in ORW but i was recently released on July 23rd so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

I tried to message you on your profile I think I did it right... ?

Mesofrog
02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
I might be going their soon It's unsure and I have my arraignment on Friday the 25Th. I am hopping to drop the felony down to something other then a felon. I just don't want my kid's to have to pay for mommy having a felony.

MathewJames
03-24-2012, 12:35 AM
I have a fiancÚ in orw and have a lot of concerns and worries if anyone knows a lot about orw please message me.

RLF5400
04-07-2012, 03:31 PM
My girlfriend is on her way to Marysville. She may be there for all I know... And would like to hear what it like, conditions of the facility ie sleeping area, rest rooms, food, medical care, anything that may be help my fears? Someone must have some current knowledge... There has to be many like myself that would benefit from any information...