View Full Version : cheapest way to get collect calls?

Mz_lucky5150
10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
i am just starting to be able to recieve calls from all my friends that are locked up... but with the price of regualar calls i was wondering whats the easy way to go and the cheapest.. i talked to PCO and there prices just seem wayyy to high can anyone help me? the person that is callin me is in central valley mcfarland and the recoreding says somthing about evercom.. im just sooo scared cause everyone is saying evercom is NOT CHEAP! any help would be appreciated... thankz

LeBeau
10-13-2007, 11:08 PM
Your best bet is to set a limit on how many calls you can accept, and stick to it.
Other than PCO and similar services, there's really not a lot that can be done about the cost of each call... sorry 'bout that.

Cubana
10-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Get a local phone number in the city that the prison is in. It's called remote call fowarding. Tell them the phone number you want your calls to go to. Even cell phones. The closer yhe number to the prison the cheaper the call. Prison calls online is way TOOOOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE. I had them before. and to tell you the truth it's exactly what they do. They give you a number that's close to the prison too. So just do it yourself and save lots of $$$$

Shari
10-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Do you know how to go about getting the number for the remote call forwarding. I have tried calling a phone company but they told me I would need someone there with a address for me to use to get the number. I am in NY and want to talk to my friend in fire camp but GTL is over $20 a call and I can not afford that really. Any info on how to do this would help greatly.

Cubana
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
also what you can do is if you can add an extra phone to your cell account ( like $10 for an extra phone) and get a local # to where the prison is then it will be a local call and you can set up a advance pre-paid account with Global tel link. This is what I do now. It's only $4 a call for me.

dracheswife
10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Do you know how to go about getting the number for the remote call forwarding. I have tried calling a phone company but they told me I would need someone there with a address for me to use to get the number. I am in NY and want to talk to my friend in fire camp but GTL is over $20 a call and I can not afford that really. Any info on how to do this would help greatly.
Google "remote call forwarding"... a bunch of info comes up!:thumbsup:

madseal
11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
You may want to try local123 web site. If they can, they will get you a local number for the area the prison is located at. The number will be tied to your home phone. You will also need to set up an account with the company that services the prison, i.e. gtl. When setting up the account for example with gtl, give them the number local123 gave you. Your friends will then call the local123 number that was given to you. My calls went from over $20 for 15 minutes to around $5 per 15 min call not including the 123net charges. 123 charges 2.99 per month and 98 cents for each call.

MattsmominNY
11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
You may want to try local123 web site. If they can, they will get you a local number for the area the prison is located at. The number will be tied to your home phone. You will also need to set up an account with the company that services the prison, i.e. gtl. When setting up the account for example with gtl, give them the number local123 gave you. Your friends will then call the local123 number that was given to you. My calls went from over $20 for 15 minutes to around $5 per 15 min call not including the 123net charges. 123 charges 2.99 per month and 98 cents for each call.

This sounds great, but what happens if you already have an account with gtl? How can you change it to the new number that local123 gives you??? I know that gtl will only let you have one account for each address and I am already using my own phone number with them.

I'd love to get calls that are less than $20 to $25 each. I think gtl is charging about $20 per 15 minute call but then they add all those taxes so it comes to almost $25 per call. OUCH!!!

Cubana
11-01-2007, 11:29 PM
call them and change the phone number on your account

madseal
11-02-2007, 05:05 PM
I actually have two accounts with GTL without a problem. One is my home number and the other is the number from 123net. When you set up the account with GTL you give them the number 123net gave you, not your home number. 123net routes the call to your home number.

MattsmominNY
11-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I actually have two accounts with GTL without a problem. One is my home number and the other is the number from 123net. When you set up the account with GTL you give them the number 123net gave you, not your home number. 123net routes the call to your home number.

I thought there would be a problem since I would have the same name and mailing address on two different accounts. Is that what you mean, just set up a new account with all my information and a different number? Can I just get another number (local to the California prison) from Vonage and set up a second account with that number?

Sorry if I seem to be dense, I just am afraid of having problems trying to set up an account and then ending up with no way to get phone calls.

madseal
11-03-2007, 12:59 AM
Yes, you would set up another (2nd) account with the second number. Another option would be to cancel your current account with GTL then Open one with the new number. It may have been the luck of the draw I'm not sure but the issue having two accounts never came up. I never mentioned the other account when I called GTL to set up the second account. I just went through the routine with them to set up an account with the 123net number. You can probably go the vonage route and that might or might not work. When I had VONAGE I could not get collect calls through vonage. Since in this case you are paying GTL and not getting billed by VONAGE for the calls if might work ok. In my case, with vonage I didn't have to deal with a 3rd party such as GTL and the collect calls were billed by the local phone company, in my case now AT&T. I had to drop vonage so I could get calls since vonage wouldn't bill for a secondary party, i.e. gtl or for that matter allow any type of collect call. Previously I didn't have to deal with GTL separately. It has just been recently that they would no longer let my local carrier bill for them so I had to start doing all this dealing with GTL directly. I don't know what vonage's policy is now. Even if it is a local number to the prison, the call will still be a collect call that the prisoner will be making. If I understand you correctly, you will still have two different numbers/accounts with GTL if you try the VONAGE idea unless your thinking of canceling your GTL current account number and setting up a new account using the number local to the prison.

I know all this can get real confusing beleive me. Unfortuately I got thrown in to all of this for the first time early this spring when my best friend ended up in prison. It's taken lots of research and help from the folks here at prison talk to understand all the do's and don't of prison life. Just hang in there. It can be rough going at times but worth it to hear or for that matter in the letters I get how much my friend appreciates what I do for him while he's locked up. My friend is in CA prison, but if there is anything I can do to help you in the future feel free to private message or post here and I'll do my best to help out as best I can.