View Full Version : my son is in prison in texas and i live in arizona

anglsbndforhvn
10-17-2003, 01:34 PM
HELP!!!! My son is in prison in texas and I live in arizona and I'm so frustrated because I can't seem to get anywhere with anything. Is there anyone who can answer a few of my questions???
1. How do you go about filing a motion for a time reduction on sentence? Is it a waste of time?
2. When they are eligible for a line class change do they have to have somebody that lives in texas on there visiting list inorder for them to get their line class change?
3. I need to know about interstate compact and how do you go about it or when?
IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME INFORMATION ON ANY OF MY QUESTIONS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED!!!!!!:(

Trulykath
10-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Is he in Federal or State??? Let us know a little more information and you will find lotsa Texans here ready & willing to help!!!

OH...and WELCOME TO PTO!!!

kath

BlueLily
10-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Hello from Texas and welcome to PTO. There are many knowledgable Texans here at PTO and you will see that they responses will come in.

I wish I could help you but I don't really know a whole lot about the system. You can maybe go to the website that TDCJ has and look for info them and phone #'s.

I wish you well and I'll be saying prayers for your son.
BlueLily

lovinbilly4ever
10-17-2003, 05:35 PM
hi & welcome to pto.
i dont live in tx (but i am southern born lol) BUT my other half is out there. sorry i dont have any answers. :(
but, kath is the answer & phone # woman. lol

maybe calling and speaking to the warden. i did & warden o'reilly was actually very nice (THANK GOD lol). but good luck. :wave:

anglsbndforhvn
10-20-2003, 07:44 PM
:) Hello trulykath,

My son Jason is in state prison. He was busted for transporting. He had a public defender named T.D. Hammond and he talked my 20yr. old son out of going to trial because of the way the laws are written there in Texas he said that they wouldn't give him less than 15 yrs. anyway. This was my sons first time ever to be in trouble with the law ever. Yes it was a bad choice on his part to be doing anything with drugs to begin with but his reasoning was because his grandmother who he was very very close to due to he was her first grandbaby and she helped me raise him. Anyways she was dieing of cancer and the only hope she had to stay alive a little longer was a treatment that cost way more than she could afford and ins. did not cover it. So my son thought that transporting would be a quick way to make a quick buck to help his grandmother. My mom ended up dieing 1 year to the day my son was arrested because lack of treatment. So he was sentenced with 15 yrs to prison and he is currently incarcerated at the Wheeler Unit in Plainview Tx.

Thank you for your reply to my first post. If you or anyone else can help with my questions from my first post it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you once again.

anglsbndforhvn
10-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Thank you to all who replyed and welcomed me to PTO it is very comforting to know that there are people out there who care and want to help even if they don't know how.

Thank all of you so very much for your concern and knowledge of what you may know. Keep posting to me with any info you may have. It is greatly appreciated!

GSPack
10-20-2003, 11:23 PM
Dear angel..Stick here with these fine people and they wll guide you along the way..Welocome to Pto
GSPack

~cheenna~
10-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Hi anglsbndforhvn ... WELCOME to PTO and the family ... sorry I don't have any information for you on the questions you have ... but, you have come to the right place, there are oodles of caring and supportive folks here and someone is bound to have the answers or know where to direct you ... I too, have a son in prison here in TX so I know how painful this time is for you ... I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers ~

anglsbndforhvn
10-22-2003, 05:17 AM
Hey everybody,

I no longer need an answer regarding the line class change for my son. I just recieved a letter from him and he got his line class change, he is now an S3 (Praise God)!!!!!
Thank you each and everyone who is saying a prayer for my son and our family!!!!

anglsbndforhvn
10-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Is there anyone that can tell me how I can get a copy of the police report from the day my son was pulled over and arrested and a copy of the sentencing???

I tried to get a copy of the police report when I was down there in Texas visiting my son and got no where. Every one I asked acted stupid or like they didn't know what I was talking about. As a matter of fact the sheriff's office made me pay $4.00 for what I thought was the police report and it was a copy of the accident report that my son was in before the arrest!!!! I also had asked my son's public defender and he said that he couldn't even get a copy of the police report that he had to go down there and take notes off of the one at the police dept or sheriffs dept. What's up with that? I do have power of attorney for my son so I can take care of his buisness but once again Texas is not giving me any answers just the run around.
Can anyone please help me with this answer??
Thanks and God Bless

Retired-101
11-03-2003, 12:13 AM
It is good to see so many responses from people wanting to help. I am no expert, but I was an inmate for almost 5 years, so I am quite familiar with the need for inmates to be closer to home. If I am correct, then the fact that your loved one was sentenced in another state may indeed create some delay. In theory, if your son commits a crime in another state, he owes that state the time. It's like they say, "repaying a debt to society", but in this case it is the state he was sentensed in. Since he does not owe any time to another state (unless they have charges on him), you may have to go through a series of motions to get him to move to your state. In some cases, the prosecuting state won't entertiain that unless he has a small period of time, or in rare cases there is an overcrowding in prisons. I am sure there are other ways, but I wanted to give you some perspective of the reasoning. Prisons are full of guys trying to get a transfer closer to home, but sometimes that is not possible, and we are talking about in-state prisons. But don't give up. If there is one absolute about the correctional system, it is that there is always a loophole. I wish I knew it, but I don't. If you can get in touch with your son, get him started in looking up information from where he is, since all prisons are supposed to allow access to materials like libraries. Good luck, and don't give up.

anglsbndforhvn
11-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Masonik4,
Thank you for replying to my message. I myself do not think there is any chance of getting my son transfered to our home state either especially since Arizona just sent some of our own prisoners over to Texas to their private prisons due to overcrowding here and from what I gather from Texas they are having a problem with overcrowing themselves. I just wish that he could be moved a little closer than a 14 hr drive. I also wish I knew if he was going to stay at the substance abuse felony facility for his sentence or if they were going to transfer him again. It really is nerveracking not knowing. You think they would at least give you that much information if for nothing else for piece of mind. My son has tried getting information but the resources aren't there. It seems that I can get more info off line than he can get there and let me tell you I can't seem to get much info. other than phone #'s and then when I call them they give me the run around and I end up back at square one with nothing. If you ask me that should be against the law!!!!
Well thank you once again for being so kind and replying to me you take care and stay out of trouble -K-. God bless..

SHERRON
11-05-2003, 02:08 AM
HONEYYY...........GOD IS IN CCONNTROLLLLLLLLLL

swtmel
11-06-2003, 07:13 PM
angls,
You have power of attorney and that means alot. First of all, the public defender should be able to recieve a copy of the reports, if he is having a hard time he needs to go to a judge. This is withholding evidence and that can lead to alot of things down the road. I suggest making the public defender ask the judge. And please be careful of those public defenders, some of them are assholes.....PM me if you want to talk about anything...

vickie scott
11-10-2003, 10:10 AM
I just found this site this morning. I also live in Arizona and have a son in prison in Texas. :(

anglsbndforhvn
11-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Dear Vickie Scott,
Welcome to PTO I'm anglsbndforhvn I also live in Phoenix Arizona. I would really like to chat with you! If you want you can pm me or private message and then maybe we could exchange phone #'s or if you like we could just keep talking thru PTO. I thought I was the only one here in Arizona that had a child caught in the Texas System which by the way really sucks!!! I look forward to hearing from you.
Take care and God Bless!

Retired-101
11-11-2003, 11:19 PM
anglsbndforhvn, I am glad that there are others here that are closer to your situation, as I read of one reply that is in your state. The reason for places like this is for loved ones to have someone to lean on, when their loved one is in prison. I think that's great. I read in your Oct reply that you wish they would tell you when they ship (transfer) your loved one. I think that is a great idea, but I cannot see any prison doing that. Security is the high priority of any prison, and to tell anyone where an inmate is going may be dangerous to the bus drivers. We've all seen movies where a prison bus is hijacked to save an inmate; this is why prisons don't tell you where they are going.
You also mentioned resources for your inmate, I gotta tell you, if he cannot get resources, or if it is limited, that may well be a problem, in fact illegal to the course of unconstitutional. This brings back a lot of controversial situations I had when I was at several prisons. For example, did you know that restrictions that make it difficult or impossible to obtain reading material, or a particular kind of reading material have been generally struck down, based on a legal case called "Pembroke v Wood County". In that case, the prison argued that no one could have books because, as they justified it, to prevent fires and protect plumbing. Although this sounds legit, it was a violation of the First Amendment, and so was struck down.
The point I am trying to make is that for every abuse of rules and rights the prison can come up with what seems to be a legit excuse. If an inmate does not know any better, it would sound right, and thus won't argue. It's this same logic that also prevents your loved one from getting the information he needs. If it is true what they say, "information is power", then it stands to reason that if prisons limit, or even eliminate the sources of information, they can theoretically limit, or eliminate the power inmates have. I suggest visiting one of the sites here on the state of Texas, you might find out something that may help.

deuxknees
11-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi. I am relatively new to the system. My 15 year-old son is in federal custody in Pennsylvania and we live in Maine. That's 570 miles away! I have spent my time reading every single manual the BOP has online and I have spoken to congressmen, DOC folks, federal probation people and media people. Is your child in federal or state custody? That makes a big difference. The Juvenile Delinquency Act and the BOP manual state that a child is to be confined "in or near their home community" for rehabilitation purposes. But the BOP doesn't follow their own rules. I have enlisted by congressmen and the Dept. of Corrections in my home state to have my son transferred. The process is slow but I am making progress.

Retired-101
11-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey deauxknees, it is good to hear that you are making progress in your endeavors. Generally speaking, all prisons try to get their inmates closer to home, and I guess especially for youth. Delays will come based on the line of inmates designated to go to that area. If, for example, the only prison for youth in your state holds 400, and the waiting list is about 50 long, it may take a while before they can ship your son there. It is a common problem in the state and federal level, although I am more familiar with the state level. At any rate, I believe that your son, because of his age, will be able to get home sooner than most. I certainly hope so.