View Full Version : Ted Koppel/Discovery Channel Documentary "Breaking Point" Filmed at CSP-Solano

William'sBaby
10-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Did any of you catch Ted Koppel's "Breaking Point"? It was really good. It is not just about CSP-SOLANO, it's about the whole CDC. Everyone should watch this program. Ted Koppel is pro-rehabilitation and that is a great thing! I really enjoyed the program. Plus, I saw my husband on screen in the background a few times. :D

William'sBaby:heart:

Creighton_Tabby
10-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Is the show on again? And if so what time.....

Sunflower76
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I saw it, and thought it was really good. I was a bit surprised at just how pro-rehabilitation he seemed. It's just not what we're used to hearing! I liked that they showed so much of the living conditions...much of the public believes that those in prison live with one other person in a cell...and while cells are small, they're obviously MUCH different than what this show portrayed. It was sad to see those conditions...but necessary, I think.

I have to admit I was a bit annoyed when they started talking about all the contraband brought in, and how it "must" be brought in by visitors. I know that is true, to an extent, but I was able to relax a little when they said that some staff have been caught bringing in multiple cell phones. I know visitors break the rules (and make things tough on the rest of us :( ) but I'm glad they made that distinction.

I didn't see my friend, but I recognized other men from visiting! Looking so intently at the crowds of men made me think of the end of visits, waiting for the bus, trying desperately to figure out which man belongs to which visitor through layers of fencing.

Rumor has it Mr. Koppel wants to do a follow-up story. That would be interesting.

leal823
10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I did see it. I thought it was very interesting too. Specially how the African American man stated alot of the things he also thought were neglected in the prisons. He sees things like they are and how much work the government needs to do to take care of the over crowding. Hopefully someone will see this and realize what is really going on.

leal823
10-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I watched it too. It was really interesting.

`Dymond`
10-10-2007, 05:10 PM
What network was this on? Will they be showing it again?

Tricksie2645
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
What network was this on? Will they be showing it again?

These were shown on the Discovery and Discovery Times channels. I'm sure they will play again.

Here is a link to the webpage for "Breaking Point":

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/koppel/koppel.html

I just checked and it will be on Saturday night on Discovery Times channel. Double check your carrier to make sure what time. They aren't selling the DVD yet, but his other DVD's are there for 21.95 each, so am pretty sure this one will be too.

wisewoman
10-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Yep - and one more good thing was that they clearly explained how mislead the voters were when we as a State put the Three Strikes Law into effect - how it was portrayed to target 'violent' crimes but now there are so many inmates who are doing 25 to life for an extremely small offense. So happy to see that exposed for the public who still doesn't understand all the real consequences of that law.

eastsidestu
10-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Worst law in the history of this state.

Mark Klaas helped make a mockery out of that law.

mylifehiswife08
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
This was very interesting to watch. It was also very informative.

cocofoxxy007
10-15-2007, 07:32 PM
hey everyone i have a question, my friend is in jamestown and he was thinking of taking an offere to stay at the sierra camp up there, he said they are offering this to only a few to get some special training that they only have up there, does anyone know about this???

mikeeemorgan
12-25-2007, 09:48 AM
i applaud koppel's report from csp-solano. i just discharged from building 15, yard 3, on august 17. it was good to see it reported as it really is. what bothers me is governor schwartzenegger has approved the spending of 7 billion dollars to build more prison space. not new prisons, just an additional 60,000 beds added to existing prison facillities.
recently, i have noticed television comercials asking us to vote yes on 94, 95, 96, 97, and 98 to approve 10 billion dollars to be taken from various bands of mission indians to help california's troubled budget. this is wrong!!! it's not the indian's fault that california's budget is screwed up. it's the governor's fault!!! that 7 billion dollars for additional prison beds does not even create a temporary fix to the overcrowding prison problem. as these beds are made, they will be filled by those inmates in the county jails and cdc reception centers waiting to hit main line.
koppel hit the nail on the head. cdc needs to release the thousands of inmates it was not designed to hold in the first place. starting with parole violators. if their violation was so petty as to not warrant a new court commitment, why send them into a prison that has no room to hold them?
durring my short stay at solano, i have met several inmates that i personally feel could be released into my community with minimal risk. i could be wrong - i am not a trained counselor. but there are several trained counselors working for the cdc, some of which koppel talked to. i think they need to be listened to when they say there are inmates incarcerated that don't need to be, and, can be released with minimal risk.
this is the only plan to effectively reduce the prison overcrowding problem. total cost: less than zero. what i mean is, cdc claims it costs $43,000 per year to house one inmate. once released, an inmate receives $200 gate money saving the cdc $42,800 per year.
the governor is wrong. and that's very distubing to me. 7 billion dollars can be well spent repairing our freeways. or our schools. or bring a football team to los angeles. maybe even give it to the indians to build more cassinos with. but giving it to the cdc prison overcrowding problem only makes a bigger prison overcrowding problem.

Imani
12-25-2007, 11:45 AM
For those of you who didn't get to watch the program here is another link for it. This program is aired in segments after finishing watching the first segment the video will reload to the next segment and so on.

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/index.html?playerId=203711706&categoryId=226602802&lineupId=1213891033&titleId=1213938933

Judeca
12-25-2007, 03:35 PM
I posted this in the California Bull Session, no where else to post. But it a reminder that all of these issues require our vote.

This brings to mind that the California Presidential Primary Election is Tuesday, February 5, 2008. Besides voting for the person you support for President, there are also many new propositions on this ballet. I urge everyone to read each carefully and as I said before, I won't be voting yes on any of them. I've read most of thm, and none of us will benefit on a yes vote. Only new laws to give more power to politicans and/or take more money from us. A good example is prop. 93 "terms of office". They write it to make it look like it will shorten the amount of time someone can serve, but read carefully, it will extend their time.

wendy tyler
12-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Oh my, just saw the clips Imani supplied the link for. It scares me senseless. My son is in one of the dorms there at Solano. He wasn't there at the time of filming, just recently sent. I can't imagine him in that setting and my heart is breaking yet again. Wendy

Drewslady149
12-29-2007, 04:00 AM
is there anyplace on that site where I can watch the full show? I looked and wasn't able to find it and it dosen't look like it will show again on tv all though Jan.....