View Full Version : Have a FELONY? and NEED A JOB!

missSC
10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Hello Everybody:)

If you have a FELONY this is for the peolpe out there in Columbia SC, but this may also help others, this is from my experience: Everybody out there on the job market are doing criminal background checks some fast food industries like(Subway, Burger King) of course the State jobs and federal jobs even the Department stores. If you have a FELONY on your record:angry: (YOU NEED NOT APPLY:angry: )
But there is hope::thumbsup: you can apply at Waffle House, Lizard Thicket, Publix grocery stores, Food lion, most of the grocery stores, the cab companies like Blue ribbon, columbia city cab and also try the small business they dont do background checks. You can also apply for grants to go back to school (yes with a FELONY). I have a FELONY and believe I know how hard it is out there, when you need a job . If you lie on the application( you are turned down for lying) If you tell the truth on your application ( your are still turned down) so I hope this help someone out there that is stressing and in NEED OF A JOB. :)

GOD BLESS
missSC

barky586
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Note too that some places only care about the last seven years vs. "Have you EVER committed a felony." Also, some places say that it "depends on the felony." For instance, a Felony DUI committed while a teenager is not given the same weight that armed robbery or murder committed as an adult. Some places weigh how dangerous or trustworthy a person is/needs to be to perform a particular job. A felon who has committed armed robbery wouldn't be hired to handle money, while a person who commits a Felony DUI probably would have a better chance.

B&Maine
01-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Miss SC, Can you tell me how you were able to get a grant with a felony? What type of grant were you able to get and can you lead me in the right direction in how to get a grant for my boyfriend who goes up for parole this year.

Thanks
B&Maine

barky586
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
B&Maine, as long as the felony isn't drugs, he should be able to get some grants to go to school if his household income is low enough - like pell grants I believe.

Mswallace
09-28-2008, 04:59 PM

If you have a FELONY this is for the peolpe out there in Columbia SC, but this may also help others, this is from my experience: Everybody out there on the job market are doing criminal background checks some fast food industries like(Subway, Burger King) of course the State jobs and federal jobs even the Department stores. If you have a FELONY on your record:angry: (YOU NEED NOT APPLY:angry: )
But there is hope::thumbsup: you can apply at Waffle House, Lizard Thicket, Publix grocery stores, Food lion, most of the grocery stores, the cab companies like Blue ribbon, columbia city cab and also try the small business they dont do background checks. You can also apply for grants to go back to school (yes with a FELONY). I have a FELONY and believe I know how hard it is out there, when you need a job . If you lie on the application( you are turned down for lying) If you tell the truth on your application ( your are still turned down) so I hope this help someone out there that is stressing and in NEED OF A JOB. :)

GOD BLESS
missSC

God Bless you for taking the time to inform us of that information. My husband is reentering society in a couple of days and your information will be very helpful.

God bless and thank you
Mswallace

Itamedthelion
10-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the good advice!!!

bennyneedsdad
11-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Is habitual DUI considered a felony on a job application? No other person/property were ever involved...just a DUI.

leftbehind2
11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Depends if it was a felony or miss. conviction

barky586
11-03-2009, 09:07 PM
In SC, the 4th plain ole DUI is considered a felony.

inmatemama
05-11-2010, 06:13 AM
I have a friend whose husband has been approved for parole, but they are detaining him because of the lack of a job... SCDC is entering him in a program called "Preparation Referral Program" operated by Voch Rehab. He can't be released until he completes this program, and is placed in a job... Is this something new? Have any of you heard of this before? She's asked me to see what I can find out, cause she thought he'd be home by now... Thanks!

Missingmyman76
06-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Ok all anyone know how to go about getting started trying to find my bf a job for when he gets out. b/c I know they wont let him get parole unless he has a job/ or i think even some job offers. Anyone have any ideas? We live in Pickens and it is a very small town. I'm just trying to figure out anything. He goes up for parole in Dec and I sure don't want that being the reason they don't let him out. Thanks for anything and everything, Nikki

ajap
06-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Back to the original post - the State of SC does employee felons as does at least one of the major department stores IF they find out from you and not via a background check.

I know - I have a serious felony and worked for the State as well as in retail sales.

read67
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I live in fort walton beach, fl. Working towards my BA in communication graduating October 2010. Publix did not hire me. Coincidence? Waffle House hired me on the spot. A 26 year old clean cut college graduate with a positive work history. I admitted to my felony conviction. Hiring manager wanted me on. Corporate office said they couldn't hire me. I have no tattoos. ONE felony from age 15. College educated, hard worker and a kind person. Have got jobs as a busboy and setting up beach chairs, trimming peoples bushes. I received a vacated judgment of guilt and had my charges dismissed from the Superior Court of Arizona. Does nothing. I am filing for a pardon but a lawyer said the businesses going through a reporting agency do not have to follow that. I was told by the equal opportunity employment agency to file a discrimination claim against Goodyear tire who hired me for 3 weeks until corporate office finally looked at my application and terminated me for my felony conviction.

GOD BLESS
missSC