View Full Version : What to expect from a Level 1 or Level 2 prison?

powerule
10-16-2003, 03:39 PM
I most likely will end up doing a stretch in a level 1 level 2 minimal security correction facility? Iam a hispanic male in VA
5'10 175lbs. what should i expect? many assaults? violence? or just people trying to avoid trouble and do their time?

powerule

sandy313
11-04-2003, 02:20 PM
in va, level 1 and 2 are for nonviolent offenders. all they want to do is keep out of trouble and go home safe and sound. any violence will send the inmate to a level 4 or higher prison, so know one wants that. hope this helps.

Retired-101
11-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Sandy313 is right, in minimum custody prisons most guys just want to do their time and go home. But not all guys will be going home. Contrary to popular belief, not all inmates are near release at minimum level. I did time with a number of guys who will never get out; they had just been in prison long enough with a good record to be moved into lower custody. Keep that in mind, that even though the general thought is that everyone wants to stay out of trouble, I have never been in a prison or jail that did not have trouble in numerous forms. That's not to frighten you, just to keep you aware that when you are in prison, you must be cautious, but not overly cautious, of whom you associate with. As far as being hispanic, when I was in medium custody, one of the best guys I knew was hispanic. The guy was very intelligent, and a cool guy. In fact, I met a number of those kind of guys. I am not saying everyone in prison is a saint, after all, it is prison, but you'll meet some cool guys there if you keep your wits about you. Hope that helps.

powerule
11-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Thank you. Iam a non-violent offender and i want this nightmare to be over with. IAm just preparing for the time.

Iam a 5'10 latino about a 170. I mind my business and stand up for myself when needed. Plus iam a expert barber.

I hope to cut hair inside...lol

Question:

How is haircuts and shaving done? cane we shave when we want? how they issue the razors?

Retired-101
11-06-2003, 10:00 AM
If you have the talents of a barber, that immediately puts you up on the list of some of the best jobs in prison. The best jobs are work-release, where inmates actually get to leave the prison and make good money, but if you have barber skills, Then make sure any prison you go to knows that. Even if they don't snatch you up for a job, you'll certainly be on the list. Barbers are amongst the most respected inmates in prison, especially if you're any good. Trust me, it's an important position in prison, especially in minimum camps where visits are more often than other custody levels. Make sure to tell your case manager this, and if possible maybe have someone send any certifications to you AFTER you get to the prison ( or a copy). If you can't get a job as a barber, there is a way for you to make money cutting hair or shaving outside the job itself. What I mean by that is even thought prisons have barbers, they are limited to how many they can do, there are several guys who cut "on the side" if you know what I mean. These guys make good money to, and understand when I say "good money" that does not always mean cash. It also can mean in canteen or items, since many prisons don't allow cash; they use a card system, often called, "card camps". Whichever you do, there is certainly a good way for you to do better than most prison jobs, but initially you may have to earn it by building a good rep by doing other inmates's hair to get the cred. Hope that helps

Retired-101
11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Forgot about haircuts, shaving and razers. I'll make it quick and to the point. Inmates are allowed to get haircuts, and each prison has inmate barbers. Shaving there in most prisons is not allowed, but they can run the clippers over your beard; in other words a true shave is not allowed for obvious purposes. As far as shaving, you can do that on your own; most prisons either sell cheap razers or will give you one or two if you are indigent ( meaning you make no money, or make very little money over a 30 day period). Every camp canteen is different; some will sell better razers than others, some have shaving cream, or soap, it really is different from one camp to another. You can shave in the bathrooms with your stuff, it's not that big a deal. Do NOT break open any razers for the blade, in most camps you can get a writeup for that, because they would think you could be planning something. I am sure there are other restrictions, but again, it depends on the prison.