View Full Version : ADD & Alcohol/Drug Use

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have an insight on those living with ADD (such as myself & my BF) and a correlation with A & D use? Thanks!:)

fustrated
10-02-2007, 08:12 AM
I personally think thier is a correlation between the 2, but yet its hard to say what part is the drug and what is a true ADD. i think my boyfriend had ADHD and it wasnt known when he was growing up and they labled him as a problem child, and so he turned to drugs, but if you talk to any rehab place they say all the addicts are ADD...

Suthrndreamgirl
10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes...& I've spoken in length with my son's physician about this. One of the characteristics of a person with ADD/ADHD is they may not always have a sense of consequence for their actions. They're impulsive...living in the here & now....not thinking about the effects of their actions. Also...as with many other disabilities (such as depression) they tend to self medicate. They can be extremely high or extremely low...always looking for that happy medium. Alot of times they do have addictive personalities. It's also been linked as a genetic disorder.

gagirl770
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I agree with suthrndrm, my husband was self medicating with Cocaine, it seemed to have the same "calming and focus" effect on him as the Concerta/Adderall.

Csmcgrl23
10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I lived with my ex that had ADD and was/is an alcoholic. I did a ton of research on it because I wanted to help him and I tried my hardest but there was little I could do and it was a hard time for me. It got to the point where it affected my health living with someone with ADD who was also an alcoholic that didn't follow thru with any medical treatment that would work for the short time he did it. It was heart breaking to me.

Suthrndreamgirl
10-12-2007, 11:41 PM
It is hard (frustrating)...especially when we can't fully appreciate what it's like. So many times it's looked at like they're being selfish, unruly, difficult, obnoxious, tempermental, emotional...& they should just stop it & get their act together! But they really can't. Not that easily. The best way I described it (as far as with my son) was "He's driving me crazy!!!...So I can only imagine how he must be feeling..what he's going through". Patience! ALOT of patience...love & understanding (not to mention tears along the way).

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I lived with my ex that had ADD and was/is an alcoholic. I did a ton of research on it because I wanted to help him and I tried my hardest but there was little I could do and it was a hard time for me. It got to the point where it affected my health living with someone with ADD who was also an alcoholic that didn't follow thru with any medical treatment that would work for the short time he did it. It was heart breaking to me.

This is pretty much what we BOTH go through. I nor he can afford medical treatment so I'm looking into alternative medicine for this. Lots has to do with self dicipline which my boyfriend does not have by ay means and I used to have LOTS but I've slipped in that area - mainly due to my own alcohol-related depression & anxiety.:(

Re: Suthrndreamgirl, Yes...& I've spoken in length with my son's physician about this. One of the characteristics of a person with ADD/ADHD is they may not always have a sense of consequence for their actions. They're impulsive...living in the here & now....not thinking about the effects of their actions. Also...as with many other disabilities (such as depression) they tend to self medicate. They can be extremely high or extremely low...always looking for that happy medium. Alot of times they do have addictive personalities. It's also been linked as a genetic disorder.

I believe this is EXACTLY the case which led to my Boyfriend's awful relaspe last Monday. When he gets scared, he runs. He ran to the bottle.:banghead:

fustrated
10-16-2007, 08:53 AM
so for the ones who are adhd..do you recommend them being put on something? he gets out in 2008 and he is in rehab in prison? is it dangerouse to be putting them on any drug do to thier addictive personality or is this something he should try?

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-16-2007, 02:25 PM
That's a good question; I'm trying to find that out myself. I and he BOTH have ADD (not ADHD - there's a difference). BOTH of us have addictive personalities. However, I nor he were NEVER on meds for it. However, unlike ME, he may jump at the chance to get addicted to anything you throw at him whereas I know better but that's not to say I'm better than him cause I'm not. My ticker is a GREAT example of that and my other habit:hee: I haven't quite wanted to give up yet. All I'll say is that it probably doesn't help the ADD much (lol).

kktx
10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Concerta/ Adderall work differently in people with ADD/ADHD. A person who truly is ADD the medication works opposite. It slows your brain down and allows you to focus. A person who is not will get the opposite effect. A friend of mine is an example. She takes ritalin for narcolepsy so she can stay awake. When I first started taking mine and sometimes still it makes me sleepy. I questioned a psych doc about it and he said its because it slows your mind down....So I say addictive with someone who is not Truly add.

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-17-2007, 07:15 AM
Concerta/ Adderall work differently in people with ADD/ADHD. A person who truly is ADD the medication works opposite. It slows your brain down and allows you to focus. A person who is not will get the opposite effect. A friend of mine is an example. She takes ritalin for narcolepsy so she can stay awake. When I first started taking mine and sometimes still it makes me sleepy. I questioned a psych doc about it and he said its because it slows your mind down....So I say addictive with someone who is not Truly add.

This is what my yougest sister in nursing school told me (I have another sister who is also a nurse). She said, "adderall would probably work for me because I actually do have ADD."
See, with an ADD mind, they naturally race at 100 mph in a fog. I analyze everything. To sit still for any length of time is a chore. I'm not hyper but excitiable. ADD kids are very intelligent. Both my BF & I were overachievers at one point in our lives. Writing down thoughts is lots easier for me than speaking them.

fustrated
10-18-2007, 05:06 PM
well my boyfriend has been told he is ADHD so i dont know if putinghim on something will help or not? what is the difference between the 2? he is very hyper, very intelligent..what goes through your mind? is it hard to stay focused? just curious

LeBeau
10-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Only slightly relevant to this discussion, but when I was active in NA, I noticed that the men in the group who reported amphetimines as their drug of choice also, in numbers too disproportionate to be coincidental, reported a childhood diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and having been prescribed Ritalin- of these men who reported both factors, nearly all said that in the early days of using, speed did not "get them high" so much as it made them "feel normal".

My observations cannot be considered "scientific" by any means, but after hearing the same things over and over from men of different backgrounds, educational levels, and ages, I started thinking there must be a link.

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Only slightly relevant to this discussion, but when I was active in NA, I noticed that the men in the group who reported amphetimines as their drug of choice also, in numbers too disproportionate to be coincidental, reported a childhood diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and having been prescribed Ritalin- of these men who reported both factors, nearly all said that in the early days of using, speed did not "get them high" so much as it made them "feel normal".

My observations cannot be considered "scientific" by any means, but after hearing the same things over and over from men of different backgrounds, educational levels, and ages, I started thinking there must be a link.

I've heard that, too.

Logan1492
10-23-2007, 06:04 AM
This is pretty much what we BOTH go through. I nor he can afford medical treatment so I'm looking into alternative medicine for this.:banghead:

The emoticon that you used (hitting your head against the wall) makes me feel sad and also makes me think that you're being too hard on yourself. Please don't be.

It's a shame that the world's richest society/country (the USA) does not provide medical treatment to those of its citizens who are in need of it, driving so many people to self-medicate themselves, causing the lives of so many and their loved ones to be torn apart.

That is the real and monstrous crime -- that people in power are neglecting to make sure that people in need can get the medical treatment they need. But no one is getting locked up for that monstrous crime!

All the petty crimes pale into insignificance against that monstrous crime of neglect.

Amy98ta
10-25-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes...& I've spoken in length with my son's physician about this. One of the characteristics of a person with ADD/ADHD is they may not always have a sense of consequence for their actions. They're impulsive...living in the here & now....not thinking about the effects of their actions. Also...as with many other disabilities (such as depression) they tend to self medicate. They can be extremely high or extremely low...always looking for that happy medium. Alot of times they do have addictive personalities. It's also been linked as a genetic disorder.

I have seen this with my boyfriend. Which is another reason why he has a problem with staying out of jail. He doesn't have a sense of consequences for his actions. So he self medicates to make himself feel better. Which is why I am starting to believe more and more that addiction is a disease.

ChicosgrrlinCO
10-25-2007, 08:27 AM
I have seen this with my boyfriend. Which is another reason why he has a problem with staying out of jail. He doesn't have a sense of consequences for his actions. So he self medicates to make himself feel better. Which is why I am starting to believe more and more that addiction is a disease.

You are exactly right Amy and welcome to the club! Folks with ADD have very difficult times finishing projects we started, we procrastinate, and our "escape routes" tend to be some sort of drug. Now, since I have ADD too, I'm the same way but NOT ALWAYS. I've never been on prescribed meds for my condition nor has my boyfriend. I'm currently in the process of doing a major overhaul of my life. I'm currently forcing myself to "face my fears" so to speak although I do self-medicate :hee: except I quit the alcohol. A self-imposed daily regiment is what's needed. Like with the addiction disease, a person has to be committed to change otherwise, it won't work and the failure cycle continues and gets worse.

Amy98ta
10-26-2007, 07:25 AM
You are exactly right Amy and welcome to the club! Folks with ADD have very difficult times finishing projects we started, we procrastinate, and our "escape routes" tend to be some sort of drug. Now, since I have ADD too, I'm the same way but NOT ALWAYS. I've never been on prescribed meds for my condition nor has my boyfriend. I'm currently in the process of doing a major overhaul of my life. I'm currently forcing myself to "face my fears" so to speak although I do self-medicate :hee: except I quit the alcohol. A self-imposed daily regiment is what's needed. Like with the addiction disease, a person has to be committed to change otherwise, it won't work and the failure cycle continues and gets worse.

My ex-husband had ADD and my oldest child has ADD. So even though I don't have it I have been around it plenty! My ex admited to having ADD it made him feel some what better about himself knowing there was something wrong with him but it was still hard for him to admit it. I even think he was bi-polar but he wouldn't go that far and accept that or even try to get diagnoised for that. It is an individuals choice to make the change for themselves and for it not to be forced upon them. It is important for anyone that has an illness like ADD or Bi-polar to get treatment. My ex is the perfect example of what happens when you are not taking medications at all. He was so far out there that he committed suicide. So be careful and keep careful watch over people like this!

Oh and thanks for the welcome!

jenlyn70
10-26-2007, 07:45 AM
In Texas, not sure about anywhere else, anyone can contact their local MHMR for treatment, medication, counseling, etc. etc. It works on a sliding scale. I use all these services, and I've been clean for over 7 years, no longer self-medicate. The help is there, I just had to seek it with the fervor and energy I once used to cop.

ChicosgrrlinCO
12-14-2007, 07:38 AM
My BF has been home for a month now (sober too:thumbsup:) and went to a psychological evaluation. He's being prescribed abilify (common name for aripiprazole). Could someone please tell me if this also helps ADD?

FedLevel26
12-20-2007, 10:06 PM
I've heard that, too.

<-----active NA member who is all too familiar with the situation you both speak of. Very common!!!

BTW...Abilifiy is not "for" ADD but is starting to be a popular Rx for many Psych diagnoses. If you look in the PI...ADD in one way or another is an indication for Abilify to be Rx'd.

It is technically an atypical antipsychotic med. Similar to Zyprexa & Seroquel