View Full Version : How to fill out money order?

his_phatgirl
09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
my man is seriously buggin for money and i keep telling his dad to send it and he says he doesnt know how to fill out the money order can anyone help me out with that im in arizona and hes in aspc lewis bachman red

BJ2010
09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
Try this link:
905.01 INMATE FUNDS<A style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000"> - The Department shall act as a custodian for all funds received for inmates and is limited to only inmates' trust accounts as accounted for on the Inmate Banking System.

1.1 Institutions shall not maintain bank accounts for inmates. Inmates are responsible for the safekeeping and maintenance of their savings account book(s) and/or financial records. Negotiable instruments shall be handled in accordance with DO #303, Bank Accounts/Petty Cash System (http://www.azcorrections.gov/adc/inmate/inmate_inclusion.asp?menuName=/all_includes/custommenus/inmate.ssi&fileName=/Policies/303.htm)<A style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000">.
1.2 Funds received for deposit to an inmate's account shall:
1.2.1 Be made payable to "The Arizona Department of Corrections" (ADC) and marked "for the account of (inmate name and number).
1.2.2 Be in the form of a money order, cashier's check, business check or city, county, state or federal government check. Personal checks shall not be accepted and shall be returned to the sender. 1.2.3 For the following, be placed on hold for 10 work days from the date of deposit or until they clear the financial institutions on which they are drawn:
1.2.3.1 Business Checks greater than $25.00.
1.2.3.2 Cashier checks greater than $300.00.

1.2.3.3 Money orders greater than $300.00 (except government checks and USPO money orders). 1.2.3.4 Out-Of-Country checks or money orders.

1.3 Cash shall not be accepted for an inmate or deposited into inmate accounts.
1.4 Cash received by mail for deposit into an inmate account shall be receipted then deposited into the Institution's Revolving Fund. Cash not returnable due to no return address shall be classified as Abandoned Funds. A Revolving Fund check:
1.4.1 Made payable to the sender in the amount of the cash received shall be written and mailed or given to the sender with notification that money orders or cashier checks are required. 1.4.2 Issued for returned cash that does not clear the bank in 180 days shall be voided and the funds deposited with the State Treasurer as Abandoned Funds.

1.5 All checks, money orders, etc. shall be stamped with a restrictive deposit only endorsement for the Institution upon receiving these funds from the donor or by mail. A pre-numbered receipt shall be issued.
1.6 All monies received shall be delivered to the appropriate Inmate Banking System accounting area as soon as possible. Staff shall protect and secure these funds through processing to prevent loss and theft.
1.7 The Budget Unit Supervisor or designee shall, when the financial institution(s) requires a signature on the Pay To The Order Of line, ensure that the inmate endorses the check. No endorsements are needed if the financial institution(s) honors the check without the signature of the inmate.
1.8 All negotiable instruments received by the Budget Unit Supervisor after the inmate has been discharged shall be returned to the sender with a letter explaining that the individual is no longer at the address. 1.9 The Business and Finance Bureau Administrator or designee may invest inmate trust funds with the State Treasurer. Interest earned on the investment of inmate trust shall be deposited in the Special Services Fund, in accordance with Department Order #303, Bank Accounts/Petty Cash System (http://www.azcorrections.gov/adc/inmate/inmate_inclusion.asp?menuName=/all_includes/custommenus/inmate.ssi&fileName=/Policies/303.htm).

http://www.azcorrections.gov/adc/inmate/inmate_inclusion.asp?menuName=/all_includes/custommenus/inmate.ssi&fileName=/Policies/905.htm

his_phatgirl
09-30-2007, 11:41 PM
thank you very much he'll be really really really happy knowing moneys on the way lol

dutchgirl1
10-03-2007, 05:12 AM
hmm. when I sent money orders to my son at Florence, I was told to make it out to him with his adc # . that was all. didn't have to put all that - much simpler.
he got it too.

Dale'sforever
10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Some units that my husband has been at have sent money orders back if they weren't made out: Pay to the order of: 'ADC for account of Inmate name and #'. Some don't require it, but I just got in the habit of filling them out that way, just to be on the safe side.

soulmates4ever
10-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Adc For (inmates Name And #) And The Address Like You Were Writting Them A Letter

hvnsSassyAngel
10-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Sometimes depending on the prison you have to write it to the AZDOC for inmate followed by his ADC # other complexes want you to just write the inmates name & ADC #

Either one of these two ways,

On the payable to line of the money order write:

ADC for John Doe #00000 *his DOC number*

or just write John Doe #00000 *his DOC number*

Be sure & check with the prison complex to see how they want it written. Many are different, either way the money order should still get accepted & put on the inmates account as long as you have the inmates name & correct ID # on the money order along with your name & address.

You should call ahead to the prison & they will tell you which way their complex prefers the money orders to be written. Don't forget to sign & put your mailing address on the money order as well or they will not accept it, it could get returned to you & it's a real hassle sometimes trying to get them recashed in to make a new one. Some places charge a fee to cash back in the money order & get a new one & it's not always cheap.

Hope this helps

Good luck.

WaitingFor2012
10-20-2007, 05:26 PM
In the ADC manual the format is as follows:

Pay to tht order of Arizona Dept of Corrections
For the account of John Smith #1234560

Then a little hint that has helped me, on the outside of the envelope, on the front and the back I write ATTN: Inmate Banking. The reason is that if they don't check real close sometimes the MO gets through to the inmate and then it takes longer to go on the books and they can confiscate it as contraband because the inmate is not allowed to have MO's . This happened to me so I always write Inmate Banking on the envelope and have had no problems since.:)

BJ2010
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
That's a good idea Anna!!!