View Full Version : Gallbladder surgery question...

ToughTimes
10-15-2003, 09:48 PM
I had gallbladder surgery on June 08, and I am STILL having a hard time eating normal foods. Like tonight, I went to have a hamburger at a local diner here, and I had to stop at a gas station on the way home (home is about 3 minutes away -- I could not wait) so I could get sick (not the vomit type getting sick). I almost never make it home from a restaurant, no matter if the food is greasy or healthy. I don't understand why this is happening - I thought this was supposed to get better after the surgery. I have had friends who have had the surgery after I have, and they are fine WEEKS later and can eat anything, but I can't eat CRAP months later..... anyone else have this problem, and if so, what did you do about it? I heard that I could maybe take some sort of emzymes before I eat to help me digest...

HELP?!?!? :confused:

tropical1
10-15-2003, 09:59 PM
BACK IN THE OLD DAYS THEY WANTED YOU TO EAT ONLY BLAND FOODS, NO ITS WHAT YOU CAN TOLERATE. TUNA OR BANANA DOES IT FOR ME. I CAN EAT REALLY ANYTHING I WANT, BUT SINCE THIS IS NEW FOR YOU TRY AND NOT EAT HEAVY GREASY FOODS AT THE BEGINNING. YOUR BODY WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT IT CAN HANDLE.

CAROL

Sewergrrl
10-15-2003, 10:21 PM
The gallbladder secretes bile to the small intestine, which aids in digestion; in the absence of the gallbladder, the liver must assume that job. Until the liver "perfects" that task, one may experience digestive fluctuations. Unfortunately, it may take as long as 6 months to 1 year for digestion to return to normal.

I had my gallbladder out at 23 and felt better almost instantly without any digestive problems. If you continue to have problems or the ones you have are interfering with your life, I would speak to your doctor ASAP.

Good luck,
Michelle

ToughTimes
10-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Thank you Carol and Michelle....

My surgery was 5 months ago, so I am hoping to God that I can start eating normally again. *sigh* I don't have insurance right now and am behind on bills ... so I can't go to a doctor, but my mom is a nurse (an OB nurse, but still a nurse) and she has a friend at work whose husband never makes it home from a restaurant either..... Ugh..... I just want to feel NORMAL for a change or even "PRETTY GOOD."

Sewergrrl
10-15-2003, 11:43 PM
This might help :)
http://www.ivillagehealth.com/print/0,,174479,00.html?arrivalSA=1&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=6373270

jentile4
10-16-2003, 04:28 AM
I had my gall bladder out to and I'm fine. I had the surgery the old way the year prior to them doing it the new way.

i heard of others like you having the same problems. Check with your doctor.

Jen

Ken
10-16-2003, 05:08 AM
I think that one of the key factors is eating SMALL amounts. Perhaps what is happening is you are assulting your stomach with too much food at once and it is reacting to that. Small and more frequent meals... 1/4 of the hamburger instead of the whole thing.

I know a few people that have had their gall bladder out (I have not) and each has had a different reaction. If the Doctor is out of the question then your mother is the answer - you do need medical advice to ensure that you are getting adequate nutrition!

crackers
10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
I had my gallbladder out when i was 24. I also had trouble with certain foods for the first year of the surgery. They told me to watch out for fatty foods, spicy foods and things like onions and green peppers. You can eat them, but not huge amounts. They also told me to take fiber pills at night, or metamucil or something similiar, I started using citricil and have never had a problem since.

TATINEE
10-16-2003, 06:08 PM
Maybe you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It's worth looking into. I had my gallbladder out a couple of years ago and developed IBS not too long after.

rottn
10-17-2003, 06:55 AM
The gallbladder hold bile which breaks down fats. Without that all fatty food will not be digested and pass through you quickly. I lost 40 pounds in a month when mine came out. Just a bit of advice, if you go to a resturant to eat, wait 10-15 minutes before you leave cause the rest stops along the way become few and far between! Good luck.