View Full Version : Social Security Card(for inmates)

Richard's girl
09-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know if an inmate can request his social security card while incarcerated? He is scheduled to be release soon so i thought i would get a jump start..Any help is appreciated.

a_coleman
09-27-2007, 03:31 PM
They give them a social security card when they are released from the walls

funtie8
09-27-2007, 05:53 PM
You can do the application for him if you're a spouse. At least I think that's how I did it over 12 years ago. They cannot have the card while incarcerated though so it has to be mailed to your home.

David's Joy
09-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I know project rio helps them get all that kind of stuff also.

Richard's girl
09-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Thanks For The Information... I Did Not Know They Gave Them The Card Upon Release... Good To Know...

funtie8
09-28-2007, 08:56 AM
I never heard of that either. Project Rio told Michael he had to get it himself. But anything is possible with TDCJ. If he goes through Project Rio he'll need you to get his ss card. You could call Release at Huntsville and confirm they will have it for him.

Richard's girl
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM
yeah first i heard of that. i have the birth certificate for him but i wanted to have as much information as possible before he got home. you know the less days we have to run around the better more time for just me and him. thanks Funtie8

Cindy57
09-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I got a letter today from my son, he said they are going to give him his SS but he needs me to get his birth certificate.

a_coleman
09-28-2007, 09:07 PM
they gave my husband a SS card when he was released from the walls unit

Richard's girl
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
thanks for the information... i hope they give him one...

David's Joy
10-01-2007, 09:03 AM
I recieved a letter from Project Rio with the info for me to obtain David's Birth Certificate. David had signed and filled out the info. All I had to do was send the $10. David also said that he filled out the card for his SS card while he was doing the Birth certificat. In the letter I recieved there was a statement saying that Project RIO staff assist offenders in obtaining documents necessary
for employment.

Tracy
10-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Joshua got his thru Project Rio. They didn't request any information like a birth certificate from him that I know of. It just came in the mail to me about 3 weeks before he was released.

Ashagirl
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I wish we had the same success as many of you in getting the SSN...and even the birth certificate. We have had to figure all of this out on our own...still working on the SSN...2 months after release. I think it depends on the project rio person maybe.

Richard's girl
10-02-2007, 08:32 AM
see that is why i don't want to go through all of this. i have the birth certificate but i need a picture ID and that i don't have. So Rich told me he is going to see what he can do from in there.

1227IOT
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
project rio sent off to get my sons. He said they let him sign it last week and he will get it on release.....

Ashagirl
10-02-2007, 08:17 PM
We were told that we would get ours on release too....still waiting...but I definitely hope that ANT's son get his as promised. Maybe our situation was not the general rule.

Ashagirl
10-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Okay, an update...success at last...we did it ourselves with absolutely no productive help from Project Rio...today we got the Texas ID (we had to get a high school transcript and original birth certificate for that), and we got the social security card (had to get the state ID first for that)....actually, we got the temporary forms for those cards...I'll believe it when I see it in the mail :)

1227IOT
10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
yea progress. Im not really sweating it cause I have his original (SS Card) at home along w/ his drivers licence and b certificate. His new DL came in a week after he was arrested and actually wont expire till after his max out date. We got lucky....Lori

Ashagirl
10-06-2007, 10:40 PM
You are so good to have all of that info. My guy was in for 15 years...none of his family kept up with any of that. His PO told us yesterday that the challenge with him was that he was in soooo long, and that most of her clients that were in for longer that 5 years are seemingly wiped out of the system...well, except for the "keep them forever" TDCJ system.