View Full Version : Time Calculation in Texas

JaycieDnTejas
09-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Does anyone know how time is currently calculated in TDC? For example, does the "offender" get credit for time served in county, and is the time based on a 5 to 1, 12 to 1, 2 to 1, etc?

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to figure out how much actual time might be expected to be spent on a 5-year TDC (not state jail) sentence, first offense, when 2 months have already been spent in a county jail.

Thank you.

RobinsMan
09-24-2007, 07:08 AM
They should get all of the time spent in county credited towards their sentence but it won't be any 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 or anything like that. It will be the number of days that they are locked up. Now, they may get credit for TDC "good time" for those county days but those don't necessarily have any bearing on how long they might spend locked up on a five year sentence. It just goes to figuring the dates on which they become elligible for parole and elligible for release to mandatory supervision. Once elligible for those it is then completely up to the parole board as to whether they are released on parole before their max date.

Kay
09-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Royce is correct. It is completely up to BPP how long an offender will serve. Tell your guy to get into any programs that he can and to be sure and try not to get a case for anything. Parole looks at things like that at parole time. I can tell you my own experience on my son's 5 year sentence but you have to remember every case is different just as every parole board is different. Jason did 21 months on a 5 year bid his first time in prison. I hope this helps you.

faith/pato
10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Good luck. YES, tell him to take ANY and all classes he can. Work where he can, that builds up time and most of all, DO NOT PICK UP ANY CASES.

JaycieDnTejas
10-02-2007, 05:47 AM
Thank you all very much. Her lawyer predicted 13-15 months actual time there, but you all are right -- there are no guarantees and every case is different. I've already told her to mind her own business, work whenever she can, and take all classes possible.

Another question -- does any one have an idea what the basis is for determining where/which unit she may be taken to once the time comes? Is that merely based on wherever there is a bed? This is a first-time drug offense, where she violated her probation (which was originally 10 years -- she did good for about 2 1/2 years).

RobinsMan
10-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Womens units aren't spread all over creation like the mens units. It is pretty much one of the Gatesville units or Hobby for women in Texas with only a couple of other less likely possibilities. If she is in county jail somewhere in north Texas, as your location suggests, then when she catches chain she should go to Woodman in Gatesville for intake and I would guess would probably remain at one of the units there after that.

JaycieDnTejas
10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Yes, she committed her offense in Parker County -- Parker is crowded so they transferred her to Jack. We actually live in Denton County, though. Her name is Robin....well driving to Gatesville at least is pretty countryside.

JaycieDnTejas
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Doesn't trustee count for more than one to one? Or is that up to a judge (lawyer to request)?

RobinsMan
10-04-2007, 06:34 AM
In TDC there are various levels of good time earning status. For all of these except one an inmate earns a certain number of good time days and can also earn what are called diligent participation credits which also amount to good time days. If someone makes trustee (custody level G1) then they will have a higher good time earning status (usually SAT2) than someone at entry level (LC1) and therefore will be earning more good time days. It is not up to the judge. Once the inmate is in TDC custody they are their property. A table of good time and diligent participation days for the different good time earning statuses is pasted in below. Make sure to go back and read my first post here about what those good time days get for an inmate, though. Everyone goes in as LC1 and is considered for an increase in good time earning status after six months. If their discipline record is good then they will move into an SAT class. Punishment for disciplinary problems can get a demotion in status. You can see that there is no difference in days earned one they are past SAT3.

..........Flat time....Good time....Diligent Participation....Max goodtime earned
LC3: ...30 days.....0 days.........0 days......................0 days
LC2: ...30 days.....10 days.......15 days.....................25 days
LC1: ...30 days.....20 days.......15 days.....................35 days
SAT4: 30 days......25 days.......15 days.....................40 days
SAT3: 30 days......30 days.......15 days.....................45 days
SAT2: 30 days......30 days.......15 days.....................45 days
SAT1: 30 days......30 days.......15 days.....................45 days