View Full Version : Piedmont Correctional?

lvsseasand
08-29-2007, 10:49 AM
My father was just transferred to Piedmont from county and I was wondering if anyone here knew what this facility is like? what is the processing experience like? I have read past forums from 2005 that say the inmates wear green uniforms if they are being transferred to minimum security & brown if they are going to medium...does anyone know if this is still the case in 2007? My father is in his 70s.....thank you for any feedback:o

CandySunrise
08-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Brown is still medium. I'm not 100% sure about green being minimum since we haven't made it there yet but I think that is right. Piedmont is a processing camp and from others I've heard it takes a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks for them to be able to call. Inmates are only allowed two calls a month at Piedmont. It is a highrise and is smoke free--even outside. Visits are good there. The guys can walk with you to the vending machines and even hold the money. (That was surprising to us since all the other places he had been he couldn't even get up much less touch the money.)
Piedmont also 24 hour medical care. It is one of the few medium facilities with this.

Candy

essiewag
09-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I live in the town where Piedmont is located and I see the road crews. Yes they wear greens.

dustinslady21
04-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I know this is an old forum... And know one will probably see this. But my fiancee is at morrison and he will be transfered before he is released... Well i'm hoping that he's transfered to peidmont if so can he only make 2 phone calls per month still? And how is visitation? Will i have to make an appointment?

triplejs
05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I know this is an old forum... And know one will probably see this. But my fiancee is at morrison and he will be transfered before he is released... Well i'm hoping that he's transfered to peidmont if so can he only make 2 phone calls per month still? And how is visitation? Will i have to make an appointment?

Piedmont is a two call a month camp. I do know that you can earn extra calls by no infractions within a certain time frame. Seems like it's 6 months?

Visitation is set by the floor on which the inmate is confined to. For instance the new inmates in processing are on one floor, those in the New Direction program are on another floor, those who work in the kitchen are on another floor.

Saturday is visiting day for 2 hours spans. Your time will depend on which floor your inmate is on. Visitation is nice. A bit crowded and loud. They have vending machines and you can bring either dollar bills or loose change. You visit in an area like a hospital cafeteria arrangement.

Here's a link to their website which will tell you more:

Piedmont CI (http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/prisons/piedmont.htm)

It's a nice camp. My son likes it there a lot. And yes it does have medical staff, special dietary needs and air conditioning plus single cells. Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer - if not someone else will come along who can. :)

kmwhaley
07-19-2010, 07:37 PM
My love is being sent to peidmont. I'm happy because its close to home and I know that I'll be able to see him more. The 2 phone calls a month isn't cool sounding but the visits every week will be awesome. that will keep us both motivated to keep the faith. I'm glad to hear its a nice facility. IF you can really say a prison can be nice. I'm just soo ready to recieve that first letter from him. OH and about phone calls, do I have to have a land line? And how does that work? any info would be great! Or a friend would be even better!!!!!! thanks

triplejs
07-19-2010, 09:31 PM
My love is being sent to peidmont. I'm happy because its close to home and I know that I'll be able to see him more. The 2 phone calls a month isn't cool sounding but the visits every week will be awesome. that will keep us both motivated to keep the faith. I'm glad to hear its a nice facility. IF you can really say a prison can be nice. I'm just soo ready to recieve that first letter from him. OH and about phone calls, do I have to have a land line? And how does that work? any info would be great! Or a friend would be even better!!!!!! thanks

Piedmont is normally a processing camp. Will your man be staying there or just processing there?

The visits are good there - a bit loud and crowded (you'll want to arrive about 1/2 hour early). Bring lots of dollars or change for the vending machines - the guys love them cause they have good stuff in them.

Wear decent clothes or they will turn you away. Be careful with what you put in your letters they DO read them.

Not sure about having to have a land line since I do perhaps someone else will chime in about that.

My son has at least 6 more months there so let me know if I can answer any questions. :)

kmwhaley
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
He will be staying there. I'm just really ready for that first letter to know that he is okay. This is harder than I thought.
Thanks...one more question. We have a 6month old son there. Will he be able to visit?

triplejs
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
He will be staying there. I'm just really ready for that first letter to know that he is okay. This is harder than I thought.
Thanks...one more question. We have a 6month old son there. Will he be able to visit?

My son is assigned there too.

Yes, your son can visit. Have you filled out visitation forms yet for both of you?

The visits go by the floor they are assigned to. Here's a web site to tell you more:

Piedmont CI information (http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/prisons/piedmont.htm)

Also the visits are in an open cafeteria style room. There are table and chairs, vending machines and a lot of noise. You will not be allowed to take a diaper bag, car seat or stroller in. Most of the ladies leave the immediate necessities (diaper, bottle, formula etc) outside in the lobby area. I would feed the baby as close to visit as I could to keep him happy for the two hours.

I put my license (which is required) and my change in a plastic ziplock bag so they can see what I have. You will have to go through either a security system or be scanned with a wand.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your visit. :)

kmwhaley
07-25-2010, 10:00 PM
when you visit what do you do with like your keys and stuff? i know you can only take money andyour id in ....so what do you do with your other stuff? Do they do that picture taking there there to?

triplejs
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM
when you visit what do you do with like your keys and stuff? i know you can only take money andyour id in ....so what do you do with your other stuff? Do they do that picture taking there there to?

You can take your keys in as well. They have a security scanner that you pass thru. You take your keys, ID and money and place them on a table. You go thru the scanner and pick your stuff back up again. If you don't set the scanner off them you are good to go. If it does go off then they check you with a wand. And sometimes make you take things off that might have set the wand/scanner off.

They do take pictures there. Your inmate has to use his "debit card" at the commissary to purchase the photos. I believe they are $2 each. They will be given a picture ticket which is used during the visit. It is given to another inmate who takes the picture then prints it out. The photo is then brought to your inmate.

Hope that helps. :)

worriednnc
07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
My husband was just transferred from Buncombe County jail. I don't know where he was sent just yet I called Piedmont thinking/hoping this was where he was sent for processing since it would be the closest from what I understand and they said to call back this afternoon and check. He was sentenced to 70-84 months and this was his first offense and the judge said he had 1 pt and was a Level 1. I am confused as to if he can be in a minimum because he has more than 5 years on his sentence or if he will get to be in minimum because he only has 1 pt. I have read that the points work differently when they go thru classification. I think he will have either 4 or 7 pts after classification. If anyone has any ideas or help please let me know. I am just wondering/worrying myself to death.

07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
There is a difference between what the court uses and the DOC uses as for points. The Judge was probably referring to the sentencing points - the chart the courts use as a guide for sentencing - has nothing to do with DOC custody levels.

worriednnc
07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your help 2021. Could you tell me if what I saw about pts is still correct in that all felons will have 9 base points and then the other points are added as applicable. Such as time remaining on sentence and what class felony as well as infractions if any?

07-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Just as TripleJs stated it's quite complicated - easier to let the computer do the figuring for the end result. The result is only used for establishing the custody level and even that isn't set in stone and may be 'overridden'. If Staff feels they deserve a lower or higher custody level and those above agree - that's what it will be.

As for starting out with 9 points, I don't know - out of my area of knowledge.