View Full Version : LSP at Angola Mail Rules?

silver & black
08-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi there I have a new pen pal in Angola doing life. I can not find anywhere the rules of what is and is not allowed via mail. I sent a postage paid envelope and that was taken away, so obviously no stamps are allowed. :mad: If sending money is the only way to get postage does any one know how to do that?
What about blank greeting cards?
ANY help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. :D

madam2006
08-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi, the best thing to do is to get your pen pal to send you the rules and regulations regarding mail. NO POSTAGE STAMPS or STAMPED ENVELOPES!You can send money and there are rules for that; you can send blank greeting cards but AGAIN there are rules for that. Also, be aware that rules change WITHOUT notice and by the discretionary powers of those in charge so be VERY mindful of that and adapt accordingly. If you need the information sooner, call the prison and ask for the mail room. THEY MAY OR MAY NOT GIVE YOU THE INFORMATION YOU WANT/NEED AND MAY TELL YOU TO GET IT FROM THE INMATE. But again, there rules - there prison. Hope this helps.

Boogirl
08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
You can only send money orders. You put his name and number on the MO. It has to be addressed a certain way. I'm looking over my copy of the rules and it says, 2 boxes of greeting/Christmas cards, no bulk quanities. Photographs must be sent through 1st class mail, 8x10 max, no duplicate copies of photographs and personal letters, no packages, 1st class mail only. You can send newspapers, magazines, etc if they come from the publisher. Plus there is a list of approved vendors for books and CD's.
Of couse at Angola rules are subject to change at any moment!:confused: Hope this helps,

SexyChef1
09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Of couse at Angola rules are subject to change at any moment

Youve got that right....As far as I know you cant send anything...Ive orderd books and magazines via Amazon. com but thats not coming directly through me.

Rhona
09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I've send as much as a small booklet about something and that got through, but not a full size magazine. I've sent photocopies of articles, and photos (but not too many in one envelope. Money orders are ok but make sure your pen pals prison number is clearly marked on it next to his name. I had one photo sent back because of the 'unacceptable' top I was wearing (it was a holiday photo and I had a vest type top on (?). Also, on the envelope always put a return address. They get vey picky about that and I have had a letter go missing because I forgot to put that on!! Hope that helps - it's true though - the rules seem to change all the time. I think it just depends on who is working in the mail room that day and if they are in a good mood or not. Hope that helps!! R.

sweetnina
04-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey,
I am new here. I am working for a german organisation against the death penalty and I have to answer the penpal requests from Angola DR inmates.
I am interested in everything about the mail rules but right now I would like to know if you need to be on a money sender list if you want to send a money order to an inmate?
Does anybody know?

SexyChef1
04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
No you dont have to be on any approved list to send funds just make sure the inmates name in inmate number are on the money orders, on the outside envelope always mark CASHIERS OFFICE, Ive also noticed postal money orders are processed faster. If you have any more question Ill be happy to try and answer.

sweetnina
04-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate your help and I am going to come back to you if I have more questions...I am sure I will, I dont know anything yet!!!!!!
THANKS!

dlowe
06-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Does anyone have the address for inmate mail at angola.:confused:

rachelanne127
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
LA State Pen
Angola, La 70712