View Full Version : Where can he live?

EDavid
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
My hub's bro has been released -- sentence served, no parole. Prison did no prerelease planning with him, and he doesn't have a place to live. He has hinted that he could live with us, but we have some serious trust issues, especially around money (he has a gambling addiction) and women, and we have a 17-year-old daughter. He's not a sex offender, but either manipulates or can be emotionally and verbally abusive with women.

Right now, he's in a cheap motel, paid for by hub, with a prepaid cellphone. Hub has offered to pay rent if he finds a place. But bro is having no luck finding a place because they all do credit checks and he has a terrible credit rating. Where do ex-cons live? Being in debt and jail go hand-in-hand. It looks like he'll end up being homeless unless we take him in, but it involves some risk to our own family.

Any advice about services or resources in MA would be greatly appreciated.

SunnyChick
08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi EDavid,

Welcome to the Mass Forum. I'm afraid I don't have much advice to offer you regarding the housing situation, but I think we may have other members who are more knowledgeable and can give you some suggestions. Your brother-in-law is very lucky to have a family who is willing to stand by him and to try to help him get back on his feet.

It's a shame that the dept of corrections missed the chance to give him some assistance before his release. I sometimes think they encourage the prison system's revolving door, since this is job security for them.

The only advice I can offer doesn't involve housing. I would suggest that you keep your priorities in order. Your immediate family's (daughter) well being comes first. Second, and you probably know this very well, gambling is an extremely powerful addiction that is not understood by many people. If you could get your brother-in-law hooked up with a gamblers anonymous group, they might be able to offer some much needed support.

Keep checking back, and as our other members notice your post, you may get some more concrete advice. I wish you all the best.

Take care, SunnyChick

shiva65
08-22-2007, 05:01 AM
I m not fully awake yet and in need of more COFFEE, however you can/ should start w/ SPAN in boston i will / can email/pm you the number okay..

take care

EDavid
08-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks a bunch. I went online and found their information. I also found a couple of resources in Worcester area, where he is thinking of settling.

shiva65
08-23-2007, 05:07 AM
GOOD .. there are a few.. "programs" sober living .. resources out in that area.. good luck..

Try calling adcare in worcester also, ask for some info on "afforable living" .. or try there local housing authority...

parole_help_123
08-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Try calling the Re-entry unit at the Region Four Parole Office in Worcester. Ask for John Flaherty. He might have some referrals or know of some open beds. The number there is 508-753-7252.

Unique613
12-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Is there a parole program in Framingham that you know of?