View Full Version : DNA/paternity test from prison - anybody know?

08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi Everybody,

I hope somebody here is able to help me :o A friend of mine, who is in FL, has a son who's "believed to be" father has been locked up for 14 yrs (the boy is 15). They're trying to determine paternity and they've gone through a dna testing place that's charged her almost $500, and the results came back negative but nobody at the place seems very helpful--nobody will explain to her anything or talk to her about the test whatsoever..they just say the case is closed (it's only been a couple of days!). So she feels uncomfortable with the results because of that, and also because the guy is in a fl prison, had to hide hairs in a card to get it out of the facility (FL DOC is very strict when it comes to mail!), so it could've been contaminated with. So she's thinking about doing a court-ordered test, but she doesn't want the guy to have to pay child support if he is indeed the dad.

Does anybody know any way to go about getting a good dna sample from a guy in a FL state prison, like would a classification officer help out with that? Or, is there a way to do a court-ordered test, and not make the guy pay child support if he is indeed the dad?

Any information would be SO helpful!!

Thank you!

08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi. I hope this will help. When trying to establish paternity for my son...I went through the District Attorney's office-Child Support Division. My son's father was currently incarcerated at the time. What they did was have me & my son come in....took the DNA samples (swabbed the inside of our mouths)...labeled them, took pictures of us, copied my DL, etc. Then, they sent someone to the facility where he was at...& did the same. 4-6 weeks later....he was found to be (99.999%) my son's father! Of course, I knew this....but HIS family was questioning it. I didn't want child support or anything from him...he couldn't even take care of himself. He did sign away his rights....& my then husband (who had raised my son since he was 2....& the only father he's ever known) adopted him. I have never denied him (biological father) contact. I have even taken my son to see him on several occassions. We felt it was in our son's best intrest to let the adoption go through. If you go through the state...they do have an obligation to seek out & perform the testing....reagardless of where the alleged father is. I was actually fortunate to catch him in jail...or I may have never been able to get the testing done! Good luck.

08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
This guy wants to be the dad, but the mom does not want him to have to pay child support and back child support...she realizes that when he gets out of prison, he's going to have enough to deal with as it is, and she doesn't want him to have to pay her money that isn't necessary. The boy has a stepfather, but no name is on his birth certificate as far as "father", and I don't think the boy would want his stepfather to "adopt" him either. He's at an age (15) where he just wants to know the truth, wants to know who his biological dad is. And he's thought for most of his life that the guy in prison IS his dad because that's who his mom said was, and I've talked to him a few times since I'm friends with the guy too, and he always says "what kind of clothes did my dad wear before he went to prison? did my dad do the same things I do? Me and my dad look a like, don't we?" Ah, so we'll see what happens I guess. She's going to call the court ordered place and see if they can do it w/out him having to pay, and if they say no, I don't know what she'll nd up doing. I just thought maybe there was some way around that.

Thanks for your advice though, I appreciate it! :-)

08-21-2007, 09:52 AM
If this man was never told he was the Father of the child and finds out just now thru blood test, he does not pay back child support.
A girl in Tennesse was in Jail, her parents were alway told and so was my brother that one of the children was my brother. Well about 3 years ago, He gets a letter from the Office of the DHR, He had to be in The County where it was filed, for a DNA test (my bro was not in Jail)24 Jan. I meet him there, he was hoping the child was his, she was about 14. Well None were his!! The lady who did the Swab, Said--You are not obligated too pay back support for a child you have never known was yours!
So get it done so the boy can move own with his knowing who his father is.

08-21-2007, 12:33 PM
annat...I can truly appreciate the situation. I had always been honest with my son. Even at a very young age...he knew. When he was like 5 yrs. old...he had a little bag packed...with his pj's & his favorite movie...saying he wanted to spend the night with his "real Dad". I was caught off guard...I knew the day would come...but at 5!?!? I explained to him (on his level) the situation...& that we would arrange a visit. That's when the search was on! My son had called my then husband by his name...until my stepson came to live with us. As soon as my husband would come home from work, my stepson would say "Dad's home!" Monkey see, monkey do...that's when my son started referring to my then husband as "Dad". I believe he was 3 then. My MAIN concern was just to find him for my son's sake. I wasn't even thinking about money...child support...past or present. Once we found him & had all of that taken care when we faced the support issues. His father had alot of & out of jail...for years. His ex USED child support as a means of control over him. I never wanted his money (although it would have been nice for my fund, etc). I was financially son didn't want or need for anything...& it was more important for them to have a relationship...than for me to have his money. I let the DA know that I wasn't interested in current/back support. UNLESS you have received AFDC (aid for dependant children) through the state...there shouldn't be a problem. If the state has provided support...they want "paid back". A friend of mine has just found out he has 2 sons (15 & 17). The mother (who never even raised the children herself) tried to sue him for YEARS of back support. The judge denied her. He wasn't aware these children were even his. What about the YEARS he missed out on his children's lives? You can't get that back. Put the money issues aside....for the sake of this child. Let him know his father. That's the most important issue at hand.

08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I have a friend who is incarcerated and has been for 6 years and has 9 more to go. He had a girl write to him and tell him she thinks her son is his. Can my friend get a paternity test or does the "mom" have to initiate it?
At first she wanted him to do a test, then she changed her mind because she said it was going to cost about $700.
He would like to know if he has a son out there. Which brings me to another question...should my friend be the father, would he have any rights in seeing the child?

08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes he can file for rights IF and when paternity is established.
If he is getting out he could have it done his self.
I went to court with my grandson 5 yrs ago and represented him (i am no Lawyer) He got all the visation he ask for. The judge said if i went up stairs and got the Alabama code for child visit i could not deveiate much from this! He signed it. Do your home work, see what the state laws are for child custody and visation, ask lots of questions, talk to paragelic, Pays to read up and be prepared.

08-21-2007, 02:22 PM
Not sure what the laws there in FL are, but I know here in Virginia you cannot file child support on someone who is in jail. At least not in my county. My son and I get daycare assistance through the county, and you are required to file for child support if the father is not living with you. I called the Juvenile & Domestic relations court about this, and they told me I couldnt file against him. Good luck.

08-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi hope this helps:) . There are two parts to this situation. The first issue is that you can allows turn down the support owed to you by going to juvenile court in our county and filing a motion. There is a charge for this but it can be waived by filling out,signing a poverty wavier. You will need to get it notorized also.

The second situation is if you have received and county or government assistance they may require him to pay that back and it's really nothing that you can do about it.

08-21-2007, 03:30 PM
YES...the father in question may also be the one to request paternity testing (at least here in TN). A judge made a statement in my friends case...that things are not as they used to be. The world isn't really as full of "Deadbeat Dad's" as everyone seems to think. Alot of men didn't feel they had the same avenues available to them...but more men are taking the initiative to be in their childrens lives...starting with paternity testing.

08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
And may I add a AMEN! It is not cut and dried as the old days. Judges no how important a Dad is in a child life. I don't care what they have done. A child has the right to no who his parents are. I am for the Father as much as the Mother. Yes it takes more than a sperm to be a Father, but so does it to be a Mother. When they find out then they have the right to go own with there lifes.

03-24-2011, 10:18 PM
According to my experience, DNA Testing from prison generally requires that the other party contact the correctional facility and find out if they would assist in this type of testing and what their protocol would be. Some facilities require the collection kit be sent to the medical staff on site so that they can collect the sample. Each facility is going to be different, and we recommend contacting the facility for more information on their procedures.

It becomes rather hard to get a paternity test done from prison. Normally, paternity testing is very simple and straightforward so as long everyone involved in the test is available and willing to be tested. However, with convicts and people behind bars, things get a bit more difficult and interested parties will need to go through certain legal procedures.

04-19-2011, 05:36 PM
my question is i have a friend who is locked up in new york this girl in illinois who son is five say he is the dad but been that he is locked up and someone else is taking care of him she dont want to do a dna my friend is in prison for 22 years he got 8 left and he just wants to know is there anything he can do from the inside