View Full Version : Who else is on the Smith Farm? Texas Prison

ttopjenn29
08-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Ive had little luck reaching others who have someone at the Smith unit and wonder if I am alone,lol.

Untrusting Mom
08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
There are very few who write in that have inmates at Smith. You can check the previous threads by putting in "Smith" and pull up some info. If there is anything I can answer for you would be happy to. We have relative there for the last 4+ years. Don't know a lot, but some.

MommaBird22
09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
I have a penpal there and I am very familiar with lamesa. I know it seems there are maybe two other ppl on here that have loved ones at smith. I wonder why?? I have heard it is an okay prison compared to others in texas. I really want to visit my pp but I use a po box to write him and dont want to give him my real address and in order to visit i have to give him my addy that is on my drivers license. Is there any other way, any advice. Do they actually check if your dl is valid or just look at it? Thanks

NileMusiq
12-04-2007, 02:49 PM
My man is at Smith and the ID's have to match exactly he just told me. Keep me posted if you have any more news. i'm glad to hear it's an ok place. he was spoiled at Clemens

ttopjenn29
12-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Mommabird, Ive been visiting at Smith over 8yrs now and I can tell you they are laid back at the gate. When you visit in H/S they just look at your id for your name and pic. because they always ask as they walk us in where we come from. If there is a question about your address once you're there, they usually resolve it by asking the warden and Ive never seen him turn anyone away from a visit. This unit is not as busy as the others and the CO's are very nice and cool about stuff.

anile1127
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM
My husband is in Smith. I was trying to go every week, but have had to cut back with the price of gas. It is almost 600 miles round trip. The only problems I have had on visits is they have made me change my blouse a couple of times.

cchilds3862
01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
:( Hello to All!

I just found out my son was transferred to the Smith facility yesterday. I can't believe it. I called his old unit and the new unit to find out why this took place, and each unit said to call the other. I am going to call the warden at both units tomorrow to find out what's going on. We did submit a hardship transfer a few months ago, but it was denied because of KC's custody level. He is up for UCC in March. This is unit is about 3 hours closer, but still a distance away and too far for my mom and dad to drive/ride.

So overall, how is the unit? I read the other posts and it seems to be okay. We're going to visit KC on the 26th and the 27th. I will let yall know how he's doing.

:eek:

e_martinez
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I am actually from Lamesa and understand the trouble of finding places to stay and all that good stuff if anybody out their needs help or anything i would be more than glad to offer my help. One of my friends is actually a captian at the smith unit and i have various family members who are guards as well. i know that the worst problem here sometimes is the guards themselves.

tonysgirl23
01-29-2008, 03:03 PM
My husband just got a transfer to the smtih unit and I would like any information on the unit, if anyone has some please pm me. We have 3 small kids and I would like to take them to see thier dad. I'm from Fort Stockton and if anyone needs any info on the units here feel free to also pm me about any qestions. I would really like to know if this unit is a maxium unit and if there is any hosp. houses in lamesa? Thanks

eddiesgirl1
01-30-2008, 06:50 PM
my husband is on smith unit in ad seg. anybody else have a loved one here in ad seg?

jsjackson
03-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Looking for all info I can get on Smith. My husband is on his way there now. Come on September!!

NileMusiq
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
js,

So far i have heard that my baby is getting used to Smith. he is in ad seg but will get out in April, he has his own shower and he does say that he visiting seems to be great there.

Your husband won't have it so bad once he reaches Smith. I have yet to visit as I live in North Carolina. One day I will plan a trip...

JennMB102
09-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I Know somebody in Smith Unit! I need somebody to ride up there with me so I can visit. I live in DFW.

x4livin
09-29-2008, 04:45 PM
My guy is in Smith unit. Was up for parole 2 years ago april, got a 2 year set off on his first hearing. We are working really hard on a parole packet for him, we here chances second time around are much better. I haven't visited yet. My mom has. I am planning to go soon. They have been giving him fits about changing his visit list. Mom called, though, and had a word with someone and they told her to tell him to resubmit it and agreed that his list hasn't changed in 5 years. No clue why someone on his end is giving him problems. I know the rules about the ID changed in July, they require a new form..and they were saying he changed his list in July. Wonder where the mix up is. Anyway, yeah...he's served 10 of 15 now. We're hoping for the best and I'll let you guys know anything new and interesting about this particular unit. Gina

stardusters
12-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Ive had little luck reaching others who have someone at the Smith unit and wonder if I am alone,lol.
I have a loved one at the Smith Unit for about 4 months. He just writes about the guards there, are cruel to them.

HISKWEENB
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
No stardust you are not alone...my guy has been there for almost 8 years "hs" unit.....um its not that bad, when i call 2 speak to medical depts. They have been nice to give me medical info...i always chk & bug them to make sure he got proper treatment.

no_Wedge
01-02-2009, 01:49 PM
the guards aren't cruel there I work there, the inmates want you to think that so you feel sorry for them and send them stuff. if anything the co's there are some of the nicest ones. However it is a correctional facility and the inmates didn't get there for selling cup cakes, so if they act up then there will be consequences

x4livin
01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I could actually mention a few guards and COs by name out there by name(I won't) who are 'strict'..which I didn't necessarily find unappealing..you know where you stand with them..and others who are more standoffish to the public(those are the ones that Bill says are more inmate friendly-go figure) So far I haven't heard about anything cruel...just some are "cool" and some "bust my balls". Ok, that's fair. I have heard about some cruel crap at other units(the female CO who points and laughs during stripdown for lockdown..(that girl has some personal issues)..stuff like that...but Bill says they don't strip them completely here after visit unless they suspect something. They strip down to boxers and have to stand where nothing could 'be pinched up' and hid...but they aren't even one of the strictest. I think passivisity could get you in this unit, though. Bill definately stands up for himself(I cringe sometimes) but so far they just look at him like they're gonna roll their eyes at him arguing again and they generally cave(eg.they for got to call me for the visit for like 8 minutes...he called it 20..they gave us 30..that was actually pretty sweet)

Anyway, I don't mind sharing experiences out there...and it has been not too bad. My mom says they are nice out there...she had to follow my brother around the state when he was in TDC. She had some experiences.

Oh yeah..Bills favorite words.."That's not right" or "that's not fair"...then "because...." He never fights with the guards...just doesn't pass the chance to mention when he feels like he deserves something 'more'. Sometimes he gets it. I can only imagine what he's going to be like when he gets home.....shopping with him could be as expensive as shopping with the kids...haha.

IsraelnAna
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi my name is Ana and my husband was just receently transfered to the Smith Unit from Jordan Unit. I recieved a ltr from him yesterday and he stated that the unit was all jacked up. He wrote that the unit have different rules. He has been locked up once back in 99-03 and said that it was crazy in there. First of all he said that they requested him to take off all his clothes (white TDCJ uniform) and jump into a jump suit. He said that he is locked in a cell 24hrs. He has a shower in the cell and eats in there. He is not in AD-Seg. So I ask myself why do they have him like that. I spoke to a girl the other day (her husband is also in there) and she stated that he husband wrote her and told her the same thing. We plan on taking a drive over there on 1/16/2009 and I'm going to ask to spke to the warden or someone that can explain to me why he is being treated that way?:angry:

no_Wedge
01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
the only cells that are on 24hr lockdown is in high security. So he is either in Ad-Seg (gang member or protective custody), or a G5 (which is close custody) if he's G5 he will have a cell mate. being G5 means he has gotten several cases or done something that warrants him being moved over there.

dwright78
01-04-2009, 09:10 PM
what is the deal with high security? my man has been in "high security" for almost a year now... i miss him so much and he is so far away. i dont write as much as i should or send pics like a good girlfriend would, but i do love him with all my heart. i just want him to come home. I do admit that i get lonely and i just want someone to physically be there. am i all alone???

IsraelnAna
01-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks alot for the info! Unfortunately he is not in protective custody nor confirmed a gang member. He did catch a case back in the begining of November. I spoke to the major and she had mentioned that they requested to have him move. They requested to have him do his whole time in Ad- Seg but Huntsville denied that request. The request to be moved was granted though and that is why he was moved to a high security unit. He was moved along with another guy he knows and both are being treated the same way. I spke to the guys wife and she said that he told her the same that my husband wrote me. This is all confusing to me.! If u can help me I would appreciate it alot...

purplerose212
01-05-2009, 07:26 AM
My future brother in law is in Smith and is trying to get me added to his visitation list so that I can visit but said it is not looking good. What is the deal with Smith? I hope he can get me added soon because I am anxious to go meet him and be able to share our visit with his brother, my man, who is locked up in Mineral Wells.

IsraelnAna
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know of a cheap motel that is close by Smith Unit in Lamesa, Texas?

x4livin
01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Budget/westerner..both are fair and cheap.

Double room, 4 people, just less than 70 dollars...otherwise there's the tiny scary one out on the highway by the drive in theater, but they kinda look like they charge rates by the hour or the week too..if you catch my meaning..then there's the 2 story one in town I plan to try next stay...I'm gonna get inventive with it before it's all said and done :D

waitingfordj
01-09-2009, 12:17 PM
my husband is at smith unit and i live in dallas and have had a hard time getting there cause i cant drive 6 hours by myself with a baby!

Jillian
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
my husband is at smith unit and i live in dallas and have had a hard time getting there cause i cant drive 6 hours by myself with a baby!

I understand my husband was just recently transferred from that unit, but when he was there we didn't visit cause we live in houston My husband and i agreed about the visitation, cause driving with our daughter would be hard especially alone. I am glad he moved closer even if its 4 hrs its alot closer than 9.

cmone97
01-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Hi. My son's father is at Smith Unit. It's hard b/c he is not even eligible for parole until 2015 and he is 5 1/2 hours away (I'm in Dallas). However, we are praying for him & if it's anything you need or want toknow, don't hesitate to ask. If someone doesn't know, we can find out:D

autumn2400
01-21-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a love one in the smith unit and we have had issues with guards being cruel as well. We are trying to resolve and get to the bottom of the issue. We have had irritating issues with this unit and I am just ready for it all to be over.

IsraelnAna
01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
I just went to visit my husband at the Smith Unit (high security) last week. Visitation was okay (except the part when he comes in handcuffs and our son seen and got scared). We stayed at the Budget Inn. It wasnt expensive. It was actually nice in the room. The town is really small and really does not have a lot to do after visitation. Well my husband did say that some of the guards act like hoes but he doesnt trip because he is learning how 2 ignore them. The guards who were there when I had my special visits were nice. I plan on visiting again in April

x4livin
01-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Budget/westerner..both are fair and cheap.

Double room, 4 people, just less than 70 dollars...otherwise there's the tiny scary one out on the highway by the drive in theater, but they kinda look like they charge rates by the hour or the week too..if you catch my meaning..then there's the 2 story one in town I plan to try next stay...I'm gonna get inventive with it before it's all said and done :D

Ok, the 2 story one is called shiloh inn. It was $71 for 2 people. They put us in a room with 2 beds(my sister and I) even though I asked for one double bed in a single room. When I called the desk, she told me they were no where near full, so it was "ok". It was not ok with me if the reason for the rates being $71 was 2 beds. She said it was not, that was the rate for 2 people. Ok, there you have it. The rooms were clean, there was iron, ironing board, blow dryer, tiny coffee maker(but only enough coffee to make one tiny pot) Shampoo and soap, no conditioner, etc. The plaster that had been replaced where the shower curtain was pulled down was mostly the same color as the current paint, pretty decent. Kind of days inn atmosphere.

The other motel stays were a Saturday night too, but there was 4 people in a room the other times(kids included) The Budget inn had a hole in the corner of the shower where you could see off into the dark abyss that was the wall and the shower door didn't keep the water in. The drain was plugged and the shower head made mist that wouldn't get hot even if you turned it on all hot, but the drips that came from the bottum of the head were hot like lava. My brother took it off to be able to adjust the water and then the bathroom REALLY flooded. Shampoo was a foil packet and one motel soap was there. The staff there is less than friendly, and upon request for more towels(there was 2 for 4 people), they gave me one more. The beds were clean, the towel rack fell apart every time we put it back together. No iron, ironing board, blow dryer. Coffee was 2 bags of one cup size. Fridge didn't work. Microwave made scary electrical arcing sounds. In all, it was in a safe area, I never felt unsafe. Was good for the money, maybe bring a cheap walmart shower head and a pair of vice-grips to swap it out while your there and your normal toiletries. $67

The westener:Small room, TV with much static, grungy carpet, gummy black hand grime build up around all door knobs. Ceiling tiles broken and you can see through small broken out spots into ceiling. Shampoo in little plastic pouch, one bar of soap. Coffeemaker was 2 cups of make it into your foam cut type. Also a safe place. A good deal for the cost. $67

I hear there is at least one more motel in that town, I'll post what I learn as I learn it. I'm looking to see if there is a bed and breakfast anywhere there too.

ernest's baby
02-28-2009, 08:53 PM
from the sounds of this town's motels, its not very good! Which one is closest to the prison? WHich one is the best to stay in?

Shanna

x4livin
03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
closest..budget inn..best..shiloh.

both are within easy reach in this tiny town.

eddiesgirl1
03-01-2009, 08:26 AM
when i go see my husband on smith unit i usually stay in the closest town over . big springs tx. id rather drive 45 minutes there then stay in lamesa theres not much motels/hotels to choose from there so i go there its not that far and the motels are way better and cleaner and to me thats a must. let me know if you would like the number to the place i stay at.

ernest's baby
03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Once you get into Lamesa is it easy to get to the prison??? Yeah if you don't mind will ya give me the number to the motel you stay at in Big Springs?

Shanna

eddiesgirl1
03-01-2009, 09:49 AM
yes it is easy depending on which way you come into the little town the unit sign is on my right . also there is a mill type thing im not sure what it is but you cant miss it when you pass it there a big thing connecting the two things so that might help its pretty easy to find.ok the two places i have stayed at in big springs is
MOTEL 6
600 WEST I-20
I-20 AT US 87,EXIT 177
BIG SPRINGS TX 79720
(432-267-1695)
you can make reservations online and get the prices. i payed 56 dollars.

i also stayed at
BEST WESTERN PALACE INN
915 LAMESA HWY
BIG SPRING TX 79720
(432-264-1500)
i paid 109 dollars and its really nice and new so i was very much happy. they also have breakfast in the morning which is a plus you can also make reservations online.
if you decide to stay in lamesa then shiloh inn is your best bet i have also stayed there my first time in and i payed 80 dollars.
SHILOH INN
1707 LUBBOCK HIGHWAY(HWY 87)
LAMESA TEXAS 79331
(806 872 6721)
have a safe trip!! let me know if you have anymore questions i would love to help you out!

ernest's baby
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
I am going through Abilene if that helps you any... Thanks for that information!!!

Shanna

eddiesgirl1
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
ok yeah i go the same way so big spring is right before you get to lamesa.

ernest's baby
03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Ok I am forgetful right now..lol.. how far is Big Spring from Lamesa? or the prison? :) Also is there going to be a certain side I need to go into the prison? I keep seeing different things about Smith and sides and stuff.. There is only one visitation room right? lol... you can tell its my first time huh? :) Also, where do I go in at? Is there an entrance that you walk up to?

Thanks

eddiesgirl1
03-01-2009, 06:25 PM
ok no worries big springs is 45 minutes away from lamesa/prison. you say you are going thru abilene so when you are entering lamesa you go over this lil over pass and then a lil bit later you will seee the big sign that will say preston e smith unit. whe nyou come up to the prison you will have to stop at the little gate type thing and a guard will ask you who you are there to see be prepared to open your hood of the car and also the trunk if you have dark windows some require you to roll the windows down. then from there if your visiting some when in population the visit place is right in front of you just park and enter. in my case i have to drive around to the side of the prison because my husband is in high security/ad seg. if he is in high security then you just drive around to the back of the prison there are signs to help you out dont worry.

ernest's baby
03-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Thank you so much girl! :) No he isn't in high security or ad seg, I do know he is waiting to be transferred to his 6 month life skills/changes program. Thanks for the heads up! I drive a sport SUV and the windows are kind of dark so I am sure I will have to open it up which is fine by me. But baby is crying.. thanks!

Shanna

eddiesgirl1
03-01-2009, 08:17 PM
your welcome have a great visit!also did you request a special visit? if your 300 miles away you get 4 hours sat and sun.

ernest's baby
03-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I haven't requested anything yet, I am not so sure I can go sadly. I am going to try my hardest. How far in advance do you have to call? I am live in Priddy for the meantime moving to Brownwood shortly anyways on yahoo maps it says 262 miles, not sure what theres will say..

Thanks girl so much for all your help!!!

Shanna

eddiesgirl1
03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
when you call just tell them you want to schedule a special visit and the go from there i always have to call 7 days in advance.

Jillian
03-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Yes I agree with eddiesgirl just tell them you want a special visit and they will tell you if you qualify for it. When my husband was there he was almost 9hrs away one way so we qualified. Sometimes if you are close to the 300 mi mark they can be nice and let you get the special visit

ernest's baby
03-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Awesome, thank you ladies sooo very much for all the information! Ya'll are WONDERFUL!!!

Shanna

cat9374
03-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Anyone out there that travels from South Texas area to Lamesa, Smith Unit? Mapquest is showing my trip to be 501 miles one way.

ernest's baby
03-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Thank you ladies for your advice!!!!

pissknuckle
10-15-2009, 09:26 AM
:(I haven't seen the love of my life:( in like 5 years I used to visit him when he was in the Neal Unit but since he got transferred to Smith I haven't been able to see him. Is there any way that I could at least get a picture of him?:(

I am actually from Lamesa and understand the trouble of finding places to stay and all that good stuff if anybody out their needs help or anything i would be more than glad to offer my help. One of my friends is actually a captian at the smith unit and i have various family members who are guards as well. i know that the worst problem here sometimes is the guards themselves.

jsjackson
11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Hey Everyone who has a loved one at Smith.....
I just went and visited my husband this past Monday and found out that they will be having visitation on Christmas Day so Im going to take advantage of that and have a visit. Would anyone else be interested in going as well??

davidwifey
11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
my husband is in smith unit and i sooooo desperatley need to see him he hasnt seen our kids in two years and its killing us both are there any buses that go out there or anything.

Stephanie81
11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone. New here. I have a friend in the Smith Unit who I lost contact with over 12 yrs ago. Found him earlier this year and he will be in Smith for another 3yrs (6 total). I was able to visit this past weekend and for the first time in 12yrs we saw each other. Even though we had a four hr visit because I live so far it just didn't feel long enough. I came across this website/forum and joined to be informed. My name is Stephanie and can't wait to see him again.

Stephanie81
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I would love to be able to surprise him with a visit on Christmas day but unfortunately I have to work. Thanks for the info. Hope a lot of you all can make those visits.

LovingMomofRyan
11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I am planning a trip to Smith Unit soon. I will be coming from the Dallas area. Anybody want to carpool? I will be able to get a 4 hour visit since it's so far away. Send me a PM and we can make arrangements.

KitKatMom
01-14-2010, 11:45 PM
My Son has been in the Smith Unit for about a yr. The unit reads your mail, searches you coming & going, checks your id's. ~ All of this after the one week in advance phone request to the Unit for a visit. I am 7 hours away from him, so visits are rare as hell anywho! This experience sux bad. I was suicidal the day he was sentenced. I held it together for him & still do!
IMHO~the Unit is calmer than norm because of the amount of child Molesters and sex offenders on the Unit. Also TDCJ keeps prisons racially divided, on purpose. When the inmates fight amongst themselves they will not fight the system. Ask your loved ones.........The cells are black, white, brown, black, white, brown, etc...I am just generalizing colors so no offense, peace out on that just being honest, ok thanks, just my 2 cents.

davidwifey
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
im not sure if your son is in gen population or seg but my hubby is on smith and there are all races on the pod he is on.he had hispanic cellies he has had white but again dont know what part your son is in jus stating my experience They where quite pleasant to me and our kids we just had to be wanded and empty our pockets and we where off to visit.wow is it that many sex offender and child molesters there didnt know that well my hubbies neither.

MrsCross
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
my husband is on the smith unit

chavalons_boo
01-26-2010, 10:54 PM
My boyfriend is at Smith Unit.

his ryde or die
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if there is alot of gang activity on this unit? My man's bro is there and I worry about him.

IsraelnAna
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
my husband is in smith unit and i sooooo desperatley need to see him he hasnt seen our kids in two years and its killing us both are there any buses that go out there or anything.

Where r u from? When I was looking for options to go visit my husband-I found out that Greyhound does go there to Lamesa. Although it does cost a grip for a round trip!

408east
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I Know somebody in Smith Unit! I need somebody to ride up there with me so I can visit. I live in DFW.
I live in New Orleans, but can fly to Dallas and drive to the Smith Unit with you. My son is there and I am looking for someone to ride with.

cmone97
03-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I have been visiting since 2004 at the Smith Unit and they are very courteous and kind out there to visitors. They are Never packed and we normally get to stay longer that our 4 hours

Daren's wife
08-06-2010, 09:52 AM
My husband was just transferred to the Smith Unit...from Boyd Unit...now he is over 500 miles from me...he was only 200 miles from me. This will make it hard for me to see him now. How is this unit? Does anyone know? He was moved due to his life being threatened...don't understand why they moved him so far.

Daren's wife
08-06-2010, 09:57 AM
The unit said I have to request a 4 hour visit in advance since I live over 300 miles away. They said I should call the Monday before I plan to visit and they only have 10 slots available for special visits so it is first 10 who call will get the special visit otherwise only a 2 hour visit. Has anyone ever gotten 2 four hour visits on Sat. and Sun.? It is 500 miles one way for me and I would really like to have the 2 day visit since I will not be going very often. Can anyone tell me of their experience with this?