View Full Version : Statutory goodtime restrictions

cubbies_mom
08-11-2007, 12:30 PM
does anyone know what "statutory goodtime restrictions" mean on sentencing paperwork from the court?????........:confused:

SunnyChick
08-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi Cubbies Mom,

I may be wrong about this, so double-check me, but I thought statutory good time was abolished in Massachusetts years ago. The only good time that's available in Mass, to my knowledge, is "earned" good time, which is attached to such activities as attending programs, working, or going to school or to training programs (such as the barber shop, culinary, and so forth).

If I've got this wrong, someone please correct me, but it was my understanding that Mass no longer gives out good-time unless it's earned.

I hope everything's going okay for you and your little cub. I'm sorry I haven't been in touch. The last I heard from you, it sounded as if things were slowly falling into place.

Take care, SunnyChick

Rays_Lady
08-11-2007, 02:41 PM
This is a good question, Sunny I think you are correct I have been talking to a few people on this one and I do believe that you are right. they are only able to get good time for working and programs... and I think then it is only about 7 days of good time a month they get..I maybe wrong on that one but my honey gets 7 days for working and his classes..

LoDucafan67
08-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Richie says it's 2 1/2 days a month...

SunnyChick
08-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Tina,

I know that's wrong. That may be all that Richie is qualified to earn, but there are many guys who are able to earn a good deal more. My recollection is that 7 days per month is the current maximum amount of "earned" good time that a guy can get. That may not sound like a lot, but believe me -- it is. That will knock a year off your sentence for every 3 years you serve -- A YEAR! That's major. Unfortunately it's difficult to get the maximum unless you're in a special program, or unless you work, go to school/training and are in a regular program. The major problem is that if you come into prison with a high school diploma, there's not a lot available that you can get into that would qualify you to earn the education good-time credits. If there aren't any programs that were recommended during your class boards, that leaves you with "earned" good-time from working, which is probably just 2 1/2 days. There are guys who are smart enough to play this system (and why not), so they'll take the GED classes for the good time and flunk the test time after time after time. If they were to pass the test (and believe me, they could very easily have passed), then they'd lose the opportunity to gain additional educational good-time credits. Good-time is very valuable to these guys. I didn't see it at first -- until someone explained it to me.

But as far as "statutory good time" -- I think that's a completely different thing. It used to be that when a guy was doing his time, if he stayed out of trouble, he automatically was awarded good time. At least, that's my understanding of the meaning of "statutory good time" -- good time that was awarded under the statutes. But I'm almost positive that was abolished -- and what remains now is "earned good time," which is very valuable but not as easy to acquire.

If anyone has better information than this, chime in because I'm not sure this answers Cubbies Mom's question. Seeing just those three words out of context makes it a little difficult to interpret. But this is what I'm familiar with regarding good-time.

Rays_Lady
08-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey Sunny I was talking to my honey about this and he said what you did that it all depends on the programs and stuff like that...

LoDucafan67
08-11-2007, 11:26 PM
He does work, and is in all the programs...

shiva65
08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Cubs, hope you found your answer..
i have no idea i know lifers do not have many choices or at least that's what i m told...?
and besides you have to be a good boy to get good jobs like "runner' or kitchen , and the wait list i heard for classe's could be long..

good luck , i hope your son can utilize what is available to him.

WHEN THERES A WILL, THERES A WAY!

cubbies_mom
08-14-2007, 04:49 PM
thankyou........cubs mom