View Full Version : Seriously Ill Inmate at Carswell FMC - Looking for advice and guidance

mgl
08-10-2007, 03:26 PM
My 22-year-old daughter was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison in March 2007. With time served, she is due for release in Feb. 2008. While an inmate at Danbury FCI, she was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer. They told her the tumor she has is malignant, and they also told her that her lymph nodes were affected, and that most likely the cancer has spread. She was transferred to Carswell FMC a little over a week ago (8 days to be exact), and has yet to be seen by a doctor. My family and I are frantic about this, having no experience with the prison system at all. We find it appalling that she hasn't seen anybody yet, and frustrated that we can't have access to anybody who can answer our questions. From what I've read on this forum, it doesn't look hopeful that we can get anything done to either a) petition for an early release so she can be brought home and we can get her the medical care and treatment she needs or b) get through to someone down there who can give us some answers.

Any advice? Guidance? Help? We are frustrated beyond belief. My daughter has been in minimum security facilities since her sentence (her crime was not a violent one) and we're frustrated with the lack of communication with everyone involved at every level of this situation.

BillyBob'sBabe
08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I'd call the regional office and explain the situation to them. The ph# 214-224-3389.

curlyhead
08-13-2007, 09:07 AM
God , this is horrible!!!!
call your senators, reps, the warden anyone to get her some help, contact fedcure, PLEASE let us know if she gets help. I will pray that she does and also for you and her family, as this is a terrible thing to have to worry about , besides just being inprison, can,t she be put on home conefinement , some alternative??? write the bop director or someone!! I hope someone that has had a medical crisis comes along to help you.....

lynnshusband
08-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Hate to say it but this is SOP for FMC Carswell. Contact whoever you can from the outside to try to bring as much pressure to bear as possible. If your daughter was sentenced for a money crime it will be more difficult as the warden has a particular bent against money crimes and tends to look for any way possible to deny those women to be able to benefit from the few programs that the BOP has to lessen the burden of being there.

I am truely sorry for your situation and hope that you can get her the help that she needs. My wife is in the camp for 6 more months and we pray every day that she has no serious illness. She was in good health 8 months ago when she went in, but you never know what can happen.

mgl
08-20-2007, 09:52 AM
I and my family have begun fighting as much as we possibly can to get Kirstin the care that she needs and/or get her an early release so she CAN get the care that she needs.

I have started a blog on these efforts at bringkirstinhome dot wordpress dot com. I am also in the process of finding a prisoner's rights attorney who can assist me. All indications are that the BOP has been grossly negligent in treating my daughter, and chances of her survival, even with excellent medical care from this point forward, are not good.

I don't even have the words to describe how horrified I am by this. But I sure as hell am not going to go away, even once all is said and done. It is unacceptable that women, no matter what their crime, who are seriously ill are treated in this manner.

Zelda50
08-24-2007, 05:22 PM
You should contact the Co-Director of FedCURE, Kenny Linn, by email. Provide him with her name, institution #, location and what the problem is. FedCURE has a direct line to a medical liaison within the BOP Central Office and Kenny has been great at getting federal inmates medical care - especially in dire cases. I will PM you with Kenny's email address. Zelda

curlyhead
08-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Mgl.
Any news to report on Kirsten's situation??? I pray that something can be done for her.......I will pray for this to happen.

DrRomanberry
08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
So sorry to hear of this heartbreaking situation of utter outrage. Will keep Kirstin and family in my prayers every night...wish I could do something.

Please do keep us posted.

Respectfully,

DrRomanberry

Sheri's MOM
08-30-2007, 05:50 AM
Check out her mom's blog and keep praying. bringkirstinhome dot wordpress dot com. What a very strong family unit.
God bless them all and keep them strong.

lyndav
08-30-2007, 07:37 AM
I have taken much of the information off of the www.bringkirstinhome.wordpress.com (http://www.bringkirstinhome.wordpress.com) site and put it into a letter of outrage. I am sending this to my legislators and I am having my friends and relatives send to their/our legislators.
It is a small effort but I am truely outraged and dismayed. I have to do something.
Keep Kirstin in your prayers.
She needs all the help we can muster.
Lyn

SCMom
08-30-2007, 07:55 AM
mlg.............PLEASE let us know how things are going! Also let us know that you have contacted senators, reps., Fedcure and anyone else you can think of.
I will be visiting your blog.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL.....and I will keep praying for Kristin since I read your first post.
MY LOVE ALWAYS!

dangerfield
10-16-2007, 01:14 AM
I too wll pray and contact everybody I can think of, I personally went through a similar ordeal, in Lexington in 2004/2005 seems as if noone cares, but ultimately God IS in control and the ultimate doctor, I know its hard, but hold on , this too will pass, Kristin will be home, and healed by the almighty doctor, not these so called drs, please contact me if I can assist in any way...
with love,dangerfield

Rhuby
01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Many prayers for Kirsten and your family.

mgl
01-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone who read or posted on this thread for their thoughts and prayers regarding my daughter, Kirstin. She will be home three weeks from tomorrow, and will be seeing an oncologist in Chicago the following week.

Her spirits have remained good, despite the fact that the chemo makes her very ill and the medical care she has received has been negligible at best, as well as the fact that emotional support for the most part has been non-existent. There was a changing of the guard in the warden's office while she was there and, frankly, it seemed like things improved just a little bit after that. Kirstin is looking forward to coming home, and we are all looking forward to her finally getting here.

You can find out more by reading the blog I've been keeping. Just google "Bring Kirstin Home" and it should come up.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Rhuby
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I've already bookmarked the blog and read some of it. I plan to read the rest of it. :)

AbbysBPMom
01-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Thank God she is coming home!!! She is still in my prayers.

dozer1
04-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi, my mother was at Carswell. All i can say is thank goodness you are trying to help your daughter from the outside. My mother never asked for help from her grown children and the consequenses were not good. google articals about Betty Brook with the Fort Worth paper. She is a nice person. After my families experience with Carswell the only thing that got them to answer me was writing to my local represenative of congress. His letter at least made them respond to them. Whatever you do just keep trying to help your daughter from the outside. I wish I would have.

donethat03
04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Your best bet is keep calling regional. The head person of medical is in main line most of the time. I forgot his name, but he will try to fix things. I had breast cancer and it took 5 months before I saw a doctor. I believe his name is Dr. Reyes.

dozer1
04-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Please try and contact her social worker as soon as possible. It might be your best hope at this time. I learned alot about how this place won't answer letters. Until I wrote my local representative about this. After he wrote to them they responded! It was to late for my mother then but not to late for your daughter. Keep trying!!

mgl
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I just happened to come back and look at this topic after several months, and I've noticed that several people think that Kirstin is still incarcerated, which isn't the case.

She was released on February 19th, 2008. She has been home for 3 1/2 months, receiving treatment for her cancer. It has not been an easy road, but she had her last radiation treatment a few weeks ago, and we will know by mid-summer whether she is in remission or not.

That's the short version of the story. I still maintain the blog, so you can find out much more at bringkirstinhome dot wordpress dot com.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.

mr_mizzribble
06-04-2008, 06:04 PM
you can get a hole of her unit manager or even call the warden phone # 817-782-4000