View Full Version : New to PTO - ? on Native pen/pal in Salinas

MOM333
10-04-2003, 10:12 PM
I have been writing to a Native for over a year. I have never met him personally. He sounds great and I believe in second chances for everyone. Could you give me some suggestions on releasing my phone number and if/when I should visit him. I told him I want to be cautious, but he's persistant. He found my address in our local Tribal newspaper, as he was incarcerated with one of our Tribal Members.

toi_ama
10-04-2003, 11:06 PM
How do you feel about him? What's your gut feeling? That's the best thing to go by. If you feel comfortable with him as a person, then go ahead and let him call, but be sure to set limits on it because those phone calls run up very quick. It makes me wonder a little bit that he's persistent about it, though. I hope he won't call more often than you want him to. And visiting is good. You've been writing him for quite some time, so a visit would be a good thing, I think.

MOM333
10-04-2003, 11:33 PM
If I had bad feelings about him... I would have stopped the letter writing. I am very cautious and he understands that. My gut feeling is to go forward and to give him my phone number and YES... I do admit that I want to go visit him. He's not really persistant about the phone number... he's persistant in telling me how much he cares and drawing me beautiful cards. No man has ever been so supportive and kind to me. He gave me awesome words of encouragement when my sister passed away a few months ago. I'm new to this pen pal stuff and I just want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of... Thank you ....

toi_ama
10-04-2003, 11:39 PM
It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted! I'm excited for you that you can go visit and start talking to him on the phone.

I see you're in Oregon, too. It's a small world, isn't it? I'm a little bit south of Eugene.