View Full Version : TDC Overcrowding & early release question- PLZ HELP!

woman_in_black
07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
I got a very important question I hope someone can help me with. A jailer/guard told my hubby today (who is still in county) that TDC is not taking anymore inmates right now due to over-population in all the units... the jailer also said TDC is shipping inmates to county and state jails and just renting the beds from those places... he said he is not believing anything until we can find out something about this... Anyone know if this is just a dumb rumor or if there is any validity to these claims or where I would go to find out such information. (Hubby is currently facing a possible 2-10yr sentence for his charge and he does NOT want to go back to TDC... it would be nice that IF he HAS to do more time, he could stay local ya know?) I went to the TDCJ website but I didn't see anything about this... maybe I am not looking it up right. ANY HELP? :help: THANKS!

txsfmhstn
07-15-2007, 11:53 PM
From what they said on the news here a few days ago, TDCJ is over crowded. I know they are shipping some state jail inmates to a private prison in Louisiana. I don't remember them saying anything about TDC inmates. You can try looking up the information on a Houston news station. These are the 2 that I normally watch and not sure which one had it on, here are the links so you can look for the information. Hope that helps.

MyFox Houston | News Home (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/News)

abc13.com: Houston's news leader (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/front)

kristah350
07-16-2007, 04:47 AM
I for one can confirm that TDCJ is overcrowded, as I was waiting on my husband to be released on the 5th of July, around 3:45 the warden's assistant at the Walls came out and we were talking and she said that TDCJ is under strict guidance to release 1000+ inmates a week due to overcrowding. Now as far as your loved one doing all his time in county, that I can't answer, but he probably won't be transferred within the 60 days window that TDCJ has to pick up inmates.
Good Luck and God Bless.

Blondie7746
07-16-2007, 03:12 PM
so my baby may not get transferred? this sucks... thank goodness for appeals... I am so confused now.

We were told that Collin County transfers on Thursday mornings and they would transfer to Gurney, per the officer I spoke with.

My baby's 30-45 days for TDCJ is up at the end of this month. So we are under the impression that he will transfer this week or next.

Now I am not so sure.

jacquebennett
07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I was told last week by the person who does chains in El Paso that as soon as he got my husbands paper work from the court that it will take 3 weeks for him to leave for TDC. I know there was a chain out of here last Monday!

funtie8
07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
There was a story on the national news about TDCJ inmates going to out of state prisons. I don't know if that's true but I doubt TDCJ would post anything about it on their website. Maybe some local reporter could find out. TDCJ makes these overcrowding problems themselves. They make offenders wait months to get into rehab programs, don't focus on devloping more programs or beds to help get offenders into programs ealier and then send them back to prison for the dumbest reasons.

Kay
07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
TDCJ has 45 days to move offenders OR they have to pay the county to house them until they have a spot to move them to. TDC has been overcrowded for months and perhaps years. I read the same article about the inmates being transfered to LA. If the Parole board would follow the guidelines given to them there would be no overcrowding in the first place. Just my $.02

funtie8
07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I saw the same story on MSNBC about TX inmates going to LA. If Texas really does that it's a horrible thing. LA prisons are harder than TX prisons for sure. Katy you are right if they would just use their own guidelines or improve them it would help. :confused:

caringparalegal
07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
You said he is facing 2-10, We have what they call PIA Parole in absence
They can't have an Agg sentence or over 5 years, I have been in Parole aprox 11 years and have not seen this done since the overcrowding in the 90's but our first few clients have been processed in the last few months from county on PIA 's so I see them starting this process again.
As for the people that was asking what is the process , after the court has done the paperwork it is forwarded to State Ready dept in Hunts usually 45 Days, TO SAY THEY ARE OVERCROWDED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT they are at 98 % Cap and have been for awhile. Good Luck

funtie8
07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
caringparalegal,
Do you think those PIA will be part of the 1000 released per week? I think there is much speculation about whether those who are in FI-6R programs will be allowed to leave early or at least when they finish changes. Has your office heard any of these rumors?

txsfmhstn
07-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I heard that they are building a new prison in Montgomery County, not sure where. It will be full as soon as they open it. Harris County is going to be building a new jail downtown also. That was in the paper here Nov or Dec of last year, Houston Chronicle if you want to look it up.

MBB
07-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Part true, they are over crowded. My brother has been in TDCJ
for three years. He got bench warranted back to our county to
testify in a case. He was finished with that about two weeks
ago. He requested to be able to stay alittle longer because
my dad is in bad health and can't make the 12 hr. trip. So
they have kept him extra. But in our jail everyone knows
the chain bus comes on Thursdays. And they picked up 4 imates
last thursday. Now they can request to do their TDC time
in county, it is usually the decision of the jail administrator
(it is in our county, and alot of them) they have two TDC inmates
in county now who have been here for 3 years. Our jails policy
is to keep the number down they keep to 2 or 3 so we don't know
yet about my brother, but yes they can do it. My brother has
been here over a month, but every wednesday night he looks
to going back until he gets an answer on his request

mrscooper
07-18-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay im scared now, LA,,, is that for all offendors. My husband has a parole violation and no time left, past discharge date. They would spend that money to send him to LA???????? Where is the justice in this state? Every monday that goes by i thank God he hasnt caught chain, its been since the 26th of June,so his chain time is coming up, LA,, i will never be able to go see him, hell he wont want me to come see him, he will divroce me for real now......

RobinsMan
07-18-2007, 05:20 PM
All I saw on the news was Harris County jail sending 400 inmates to a private facility in Louisiana (LA). I have not heard of TDC sending inmates out of state yet. I do not know if any of those going to Louisiana are waiting on chain to TDC or if all are only serving county sentences.

I think that what woman_in_black is asking about is nothing new. TDC leaves them in county until they have room to bring them in and that could take some time. In the meantime they sit in county jail.

KJG1108
07-18-2007, 05:55 PM
my question for this is what are we supposed to do if they get moved? they just tell the inmates touch shit! you dont get visits unless they drive here and that just too bad if they cant???? there has to be some sort of guidelines they follow to transfer these inmates out of state! this is absurd!!!

KJG1108
07-18-2007, 06:03 PM
i meant tough shit! hahahah sorry for the language but damn!!!!! tdc needs to get it together!!!

juniorswifey
07-05-2008, 06:55 PM
how does tdc work? my husbands in county waiting to catch the chain to Byrd Unit. Is he getting his 2 for 1 in county while waiting to go? and is tdc 2 for 1 also?

Drucifer
07-05-2008, 07:42 PM
If your husband is in Harris County he should be getting 2-1. They will figure his time while he is in processing at TDCJ. As for TDCJ time, it is terribly confusing but someone will come along and answer it for you.

RobinsMan
07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
He is not getting county 2for1 or 3for1 while waiting to catch chain to TDC. He should get TDC good time for the time he spent in county that would go towards his Parole Eligibility Date and his Projected Released Date. If his offense was aggravated then that good time will not count towards either of those dates.

confusedwife08
07-05-2008, 09:38 PM
His TDC time should start at the time of sentencing. Depending on the judge or the charge they will back date the time he had served in county before his sentencing.

mopitup
07-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Just yesterday I was trying to find the numbers maximum occupancy vs current & was unable to find anything except past years.

Drue do you not know where to locate this information on the web somew here? I looked on TDC & also the State but no luck.

These numbers should be public records I would think. If anything we may be able to contact TDC on the phone & they could refer us to the right person.

jonali
07-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I researched the occupancy rate at Le Blanc where my husband is and they're at 98% with only 24 slots available to be at 100%. This is quite frustrating since my husband has an approved parole date of after July 1, 2008. It they would sent those home with July release dates, they would open up about 60 slots for those on the waiting list. Oooops, my bad, that would be way too logical!:blah:

smallngood
07-08-2008, 10:21 PM
I know this is a old post, but just had to say this- -if any logic was done through tdcj with inmates on their time, they SHOULD be letting quit a few out because of being so darn short handed of officers- -right?
People NEED to write every political person that can get their hands on and bring up this "minor" point- -if they 9tdcj) doesn't have enough officers to watch your love one, why not let them out- -put it this way- -at least they would have people paying that dumb resitution deal and not having so many inmates being so under staffed.
Just my thoughts.
be safe.