View Full Version : Food Stamps for released offenders?

key jo
07-10-2007, 04:00 PM
There was a thread about whether inmates get food stamps when they get released. Well, I have the answer. Yes and no! If anyone in the household is working, chances are good the ex-inmate will not qualify. Basically, there is no consideration that they just walked out to a family that may be strapped for cash as it is. The same application process applies to the ex-inmate. So, if the ex-inmate has nobody to help them, they may qualify but if they come home to a family, chances are good they won't.

It never hurts to try but don't count on it.

Kay
07-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks Kerri for the info. I'm not at all surprised about it and I know you aren't either.

Ashagirl
07-10-2007, 06:24 PM
As I read that post, I kept thinking that it's just another way to stick it to the ex-offender and the offender's loved ones.

pams lilsis
07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
They gave my niece FS in Lubbock HWH but they kept them to contribute towards the house and I do not think they gave her the left over when she left on the 9th of this month

Amy H
07-11-2007, 02:56 PM
There was a thread about whether inmates get food stamps when they get released. Well, I have the answer. Yes and no! If anyone in the household is working, chances are good the ex-inmate will not qualify. Basically, there is no consideration that they just walked out to a family that may be strapped for cash as it is. The same application process applies to the ex-inmate. So, if the ex-inmate has nobody to help them, they may qualify but if they come home to a family, chances are good they won't.

It never hurts to try but don't count on it.

It depends if you are a felon or what you were charged with

Dances in Rain
07-11-2007, 04:17 PM
how so?

mia_101
07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Drug offenders are barred in some states from getting food stamps.

Otherwise, there is no discrimination for felons. Everybody gets qualified the same regardless of criminal record.

This is interesting for California:

The California State Assembly approved a bill that would restore eligibility to receive food stamps upon release from prison to all individuals charged with a drug-related offense, in an effort to help them integrate back into society and combat recidivism rates. The bill awaits a Senate vote. If the bill is approved, it bill would repeal the 11-year policy currently banning formerly incarcerated individuals from receiving government-issued food stamps.

A similar bill has tried to get through TX but not made it. Felony drug offenders are barred for life from food stamps and TANF in TX.

Dances in Rain
07-11-2007, 05:07 PM
aww well my daughter didnt get them before her felony because she didnt have a kid -- dont know why they would give them to her now ... always thought it was odd her brother could get them and he made more money than her (and no kids or wife) but she couldnt ...

ParoledIn98
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I really think that sucks. Here a dude or a gal walks out of prison, no clothes, job, place to live except with family and they don't qualify for food stamps? That's a crock of B.S. Just my :twocents:

Bill

mia_101
07-11-2007, 07:30 PM
It's worse than that if you have a drug offense. It could have been when you were 20, and you could go 30 years being a perfect citizen, and if you fell on hard times you couldn't get them at age 50. Or a nursing mother, with an old offense, same story.

A volent offender, on the other hand, can have them right away. It has nothing to do with severity or any other factor - just a remnant of the War on Drugs.

Dances in Rain, I don't know what the factors must have been in your daughter's case. They take your income - certain expenses and look at what you have left.

Someone will less money can be denied because they have even less living expenses.

Here is a calculator:

http://www.health.state.nd.us/dhs/foodstampcalculator.asp

Kimmek
07-20-2007, 10:10 PM
We just learned about this about 3 weeks ago when we went to see about the "emergency food stamps" supossedly available to inmates upon release, andthat is true, everyone except drug offenders, you can kill, molest, steal or anything else you can think of, but if you got caught with a joint your SOL.

Then when I asked if I could aply for myself and my younger daughter the case worker wanted to know how I was going to stop my older daughter from eating the food I bought with food stamps? I thought at first he was joking but he was dead serious, we didnt qualify anyway, as a college student is not eligable either, go figure...doesnt matter who you are sometimes the state of Texas wants people to fail and make everything damn near impossible to accomplish.

BRWNIS
07-20-2007, 10:25 PM
We just learned about this about 3 weeks ago when we went to see about the "emergency food stamps" supossedly available to inmates upon release, andthat is true, everyone except drug offenders, you can kill, molest, steal or anything else you can think of, but if you got caught with a joint your SOL.

Then when I asked if I could aply for myself and my younger daughter the case worker wanted to know how I was going to stop my older daughter from eating the food I bought with food stamps? I thought at first he was joking but he was dead serious, we didnt qualify anyway, as a college student is not eligable either, go figure...doesnt matter who you are sometimes the state of Texas wants people to fail and make everything damn near impossible to accomplish.
So very true. That is pitiful.

mrs_mcneer
07-23-2007, 10:35 AM
THIS IS the kind of stuff that makes me mad. being a felon myself, i know how hard it is to do certain things like recieving any type of financial help. You know the govvernment wants us to go out and get jobs and stay off the streets...but how the hell are we suposed to stay off the streets if there are no apartments that will accept felons?

mia_101
07-23-2007, 05:44 PM
You can get food stamps unless you have a drug offense. You can get student aid unless you have a drug offense (and even then, you can get it except for the specific semester that your drug offense occurred during).

Regular apartments that take felons are plentifull, they are sometimes just not as nice,,,,,,,and even section 8 housing can be had - it's up to each individual area whether they will accept felons, or make exceptions on a case by case basis.

Volunteers of America and other programs specifically help felons with housing, employment, and other issues.

pams lilsis
07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
wow VOA helps with that maybe they will help my sister when she goes there in a couple of weeks

ExTexmate
07-24-2007, 11:11 AM
Yep. Texas is absolutely the worst state in the Country. Soon, there will be a barbed wire fence around the entire state. There is just far too much money to be made in locking people up here.

In my particular case, I was addicted to powder cocaine. The state of Texas has ruined the rest of my life due to RSIDUE left over in a baggie! I was not a drug dealer by ANY means. I had the remaining residue of a $20 bag of drugs, and for that, I shall be labled a FELON for life.

I am not suggesting that I was not guilty of being a drug addict or that I was in fact in possession of that baggie: I was. But, the punishment is both cruel and unusual when viewed in the light of issues like this one.

Fortunately, I am not in need of these services today, but, I am certainly not comfortable being excluded from priveleges and rights that convicted serial rapists and murderers enjoy!!!!

mia_101
07-25-2007, 12:49 AM
How could residue consitute a felony?

Abril5003
08-20-2007, 12:07 AM
My question exactly, Mia. How does it? Did you have a current record, where you on parole, or probation. I agree Texas law is soooo much more strict!! Harsher sentences!

mia_101
08-20-2007, 05:11 AM
Don't mess with TX! Actually, it's federal law that decided that little specialty for drug offenders.:blah:

Abril5003
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Well, Ok. then!

ExTexmate
08-21-2007, 12:18 PM
I was not on probabtion at the time I received the Felony. I violated the probation and had to serve the 10 months in jail for that.

If they can scrape enough out of a baggie/pipe or whatever else they find, to test that it's positive for cocaine, automatic felony charge. Period.

Again, I am NOT claiming I was innocent. It just sucks that they treat addicts like murderers.

Also, for those of you who do not know this, a person who has a drug convuiction in Texas has a life time ban on receiving food stamps! Fortunately, I had no need of them nor will I ever, God willing.

Isn't that nice of Texas though? They hand out Felonies like candy, throw you in prison, ruin many potential careers and refuse to help them get back on their feet! This virtually assure that offenders who are honestly trying to kick their habits upon realease, will either starve or fall back into their old habits just to SURVIVE! Go Texas!

Fortunately, I have only 60 days left in this Hell-fole of a state. :-)

Abril5003
08-21-2007, 12:23 PM
ExTexMate. I totally agree with everything you said about Texas! They do treat addicts and other convictions as murderers. I am so sorry that you had to go through all that. Are you doing better? I hope so. So you are leaving Texas, where are you going, may I ask?
I wish you luck whereever you may go!

ExTexmate
08-21-2007, 01:44 PM
ExTexMate. I totally agree with everything you said about Texas! They do treat addicts and other convictions as murderers. I am so sorry that you had to go through all that. Are you doing better? I hope so. So you are leaving Texas, where are you going, may I ask?
I wish you luck whereever you may go!

I have been completely clean and sober since the day of my arrest for probation violation. (9/18/05). I wouldn't take another drink or drug if you paid me cash money!

Thank you for your concern! As I said above, I have never needed to take advantage of public assistance of any ind, nor will I, God willing. I know that this affects a ton of other folks though. They leave prison with one strike against them as it is; to deny ALL forms of assistance is ludicrous.

But, to be fair to Texas, so many people have abused the system that they have ruined it for everybody...

The post from this person belw on another thread sums up just why our "welfare" system is so screwed up, and why access to the programs have become so increasingly strict:

AnitaFoxx (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/member.php?u=64749) http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_2529729", true);
You are your own product.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif
How come she can't take care of him a while longer? Thats to fast to trash him like that. Its the baby's Daddy. Give him some respect you all. I bet you all wouldn't be throwing your man out like that. She can get public asstistance, housing, foodstamps, and everybody live free until things get better. If she throw him away she is going to be all alone while she has carries and have that baby. Just keep saying how are we going to make it?
As crzy as I am about my man that wouldn't hurt me like it would if it was another woman.

missrbone
08-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I was just telling my fiance that he was going to apply for food stamps when he got out. But reading the comments he doesn't qualify because he has a drug offense. Is this all dug offenses included possesion??? Just need to know.

DeepRed
08-31-2007, 06:03 AM
If the offense was prior to 1996 you still qualify for food stamps regardless if it is a drug charge.

jennyfur
10-03-2007, 08:24 AM
My husband wanted me to check on food stamps for him when he is released.
Reading this thread I am not sure he qualifies.
He was put on adjudicated probation for drug charges but he did not get convicted of a felony for it (thank God).
Does this mean he does not qualify?
He also wants to go to a school for welding and needs to file for financial assistance. Does this also mean he won't qualify for any student loans or grants? That sucks if this is true!!! :(

lormur
10-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Jennyfur, I believe that your husband will never be able to have food stamps in the state of TX., don't know about other states. TX. takes drug charges very serious. I have a tendencyto think that he might be able to apply for assistance to go to welding school. Question, Why does he not get in the welding program while incarcerated and come out ready to go to work??? Just a thought.

jennyfur
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
key jo~ he is in a SAFP unit in Winnsboro and they do not have those type of programs available there. If they did then he wouldn't be riding my butt so bad to get him his info etc. LOL! I wish they did though. My confusion is that he did not get convicted on the charges.. just probation. They still consider that as drug charges?

mrscooper
10-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Im just going to put my two cents into this,,, I agree that Texas is a very harsh state to live it, you get arrested and charged for almost anything.
My husband did recieve foodstamps upon his release the first time. Will again when he comes home.
What really bothers me is this, Now i have been in the apartment business for over 13 years. I get so frustrated with those managment companies that disqualify you for any felony convictions,, Not taking into account the kind of offense,, the time of the offense,
It isnt fair that you should live someplace that you wouldnt want to live in becaues you made a mistake. Now i overroad alot of those applications and permitted them to live there, knowing that I would have to take the fall if something happened. In my 13 years I have never had anyone that I allowed in compromise my position.
Texas makes it really hard for a prisioner to come out and be able to live and work,,, thats why they go back,,, very few people give chances, and very few inamtes are given the break that they need.....
I know for a fact that when my husband comes home, work is going to be hard for him to find. i also know that he and all others are labled and society always, always snumbs thier noses at those that have been once incarcerated.
Drug offense, or whatever should be entitled to assistance to maintain a proper life on the outside of those damn walls. Sorry,, since being married to a man incarcerated I have found more compassion and I fight harder for those that come to me for an apartment with convicitons,,, Im in between jobs now, but if I get back into the business I will continue to help those that I can. If the system wants people to suceed they need to provide the resources and not keep closing the doors in thier faces....

mia_101
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Bless you, Mrs. Cooper. It is very hard for felons to find a decent place to live.

I have a friend that manages apartments, and she puts herself on the line to help others as well, and like you, she has not been burned.

kwolf150
10-03-2007, 07:16 PM
You can get food stamps unless you have a drug offense. You can get student aid unless you have a drug offense (and even then, you can get it except for the specific semester that your drug offense occurred during).

Not sure what state you are in, but in Texas you cannot get student aid EVER if you have a drug conviction. You also cannot qualify for housing assistance, TANF, or food stamps, EVER, if you have a drug conviction. This is a federal law but some states have opted out of it and have fewer restrictions or time limited restrictions. Not Texas, though. It's like Kimme said--if you are a murderer, they will do all they can to help you. Rapist? You bet! Child molester? Sign right here! But possesion of drugs? Forget it--you are SOL for LIFE. So many women I saw get out of SAFP and try to get their lives back together only to be thwarted at every turn, with probation demanding money money money for fees, fines and classes, child support owed to the foster care people, no place to stay, no means of transportation (our local probation office is NOT on a bus line), no food stamps, no assistance to go to school, no housing assistance, etc. They end up losing their kids because they have no place for them to stay. It's pathetic. No wonder people return to crime.

vantexasgirl
10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
before i knew my husband when he got out last time...he parolled to his parents house and still got food stamps...although im not sure what he told them...he may have said they werent going to help him out with food? i dunno....i just know he had them.

kwolf150
10-04-2007, 06:48 AM
My husband and I must live in a home with other family members because we have not been able to find a place that will rent tu us because of my felony drug conviction, which was for possesion of a controlled substance by fraud. (calling in a prescription). This was ten years ago, and I have no other convictions or record, yet that is the case.

However, I believe if it was a deferred adjudication case with no conviction, you would still be eligible for food stamps, jennyfur.

mia_101
10-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Not sure what state you are in, but in Texas you cannot get student aid EVER if you have a drug conviction. You also cannot qualify for housing assistance, TANF, or food stamps, EVER, if you have a drug conviction. This is a federal law but some states have opted out of it and have fewer restrictions or time limited restrictions. Not Texas, though. It's like Kimme said--if you are a murderer, they will do all they can to help you. Rapist? You bet! Child molester? Sign right here! But possesion of drugs? Forget it--you are SOL for LIFE. So many women I saw get out of SAFP and try to get their lives back together only to be thwarted at every turn, with probation demanding money money money for fees, fines and classes, child support owed to the foster care people, no place to stay, no means of transportation (our local probation office is NOT on a bus line), no food stamps, no assistance to go to school, no housing assistance, etc. They end up losing their kids because they have no place for them to stay. It's pathetic. No wonder people return to crime.

I've looked pretty hard into this. Food stamps, definitely - never again, unless TX decides to opt out of that, and hopefully someday they will.

Housing, almost 100% no if it was a felony, but there are exceptions, the individual agency can do that. That's nation wide.

I know for sure on student aid they can get it except for any semester in which they were convicted. But it's only THAT semester.

Now, there are all types of aid, but if you look at the rules for federal aid, you will see this. State aid I don't remember off the top of my head, but most people get and rely on the federal aid, which one can still get with a drug conviction.:)

PS all felons have the assisted housing ban, and SOs have the only class not only to be denied assisted housing, but restricted in where they live at all, even paying their own way.

mrscooper
10-04-2007, 08:25 AM
kwolf150,, try applying only in your husbands name. Or try talking to the property manager, sometimes if you talk to them and explain the situation they will actually have to put a face to the paperwork that they are saying no too. Hard to do sometimes,,.,, You have the right to live someplace nice and on your own dont stop looking.
Also,, I have to look it up but there is a program that will pay for your school if your have been in prision,.,, My husband is going to take advantage of that when he gets home. Ill find it and get back to you all.

kwolf150
10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I was looking around on the internet and here is what I found about the student loan thing:

"Congress passed a law in 1998 that made drug convictions a disqualification for receiving aid. Students must now answer, "Have you ever been convicted of possession or selling illegal drugs?" when filling out their application.

Students who do not answer the question are disqualified.

A student convicted for drug possession is ineligible for aid for one year for a first offense, two years for a second offense and indefinitely for three or more offenses. A student convicted of selling drugs is ineligible for two years for a first offense and indefinitely for two or more offenses."

mia_101
10-04-2007, 09:59 PM
current:

Federal law suspends your eligibility for federal student aid, if you have been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, and/or work-study).

If you have been convicted in the past, this does not automatically mean that you are ineligible for federal student aid. This worksheet will help you determine your eligibility.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before013.htm

faith/pato
10-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Not only do these guys face an uphill battle with every day existence, they are also hit with any child support that built up while they were inside so they are sucking hind tit so to speak from the get go. Not only that, it is my understanding that they cannot get medical assistance for five years. Does anyone know about this? I have a good job and my man will be covered but not everyone is that fortunate.
Next thing we know the state will expect payment in advance of release for the expense of housing our loved ones. Don't laugh, it is possible in this messed up system.

mia_101
10-05-2007, 02:38 PM
It is not true that they won't get medical services. In TX, we have county health services for those who meet the income and resource limits. This includes hospitals and clinics, primary care physicians, specialists, etc.

They do not check for criminal background.